Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭championc

Have you a graph of both strings individually ? I wouldn't have expected the afternoon to tail off the way it shows, with a west string

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

From the graph it started clipping between 9-10 am. Tiny increase in cost for 2.5 to 3 kWh inverter upgrade. It’s just silly.

I can understand if it’s an E / W split. And as the user explained they had planned to install fewer panels and managed to get a few extra on the roof on the day of install and totally neglected to consider upgrading the inverter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

19.5 kWh today, quite happy with that. Clouds did roll in during peak production. Would guess 22 kWh is the max I could get on a perfect day.

3.1 kWp (1.75 south. 1.4 west)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It got a bit overcast yesterday evening here so that’s why it tailed off like that. It’s a more uniform drop off today.

Also, we’ve got 1.6 west facing. The remaining 4 is the east facing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭micks_address

Looks like I'm going to close out just over 42kwh from 4kwp south east, 3kwp north west. Probably as good as it's gets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Probably more than what you wanted, but it's a fun problem. Taking the graph that you had, and assuming that it was symmetrical, we can complete the curve (roughly now!) to be what it would look like if there was no clipping.

So you would get something like the above. To approximate the area under the "extra bit" (above 2.7kw) , we can pretend its a rectangle and just do a length by height. We can just take 1/2 the height, so the bits above the green line would (roughly) match the area to the left and right outside the curve. So you'd have

(3.3kw - 2.7kw) / 2 = 0.3kw

and then multiple that by the hours (10am -> 5pm) = 7 hrs. So that would give you an approximate loss of 7 x 0.3 = 2.1kwhr. At a nominal value of €0.30, let's just call that €0.60.

So if you were to go for that €208 upgrade (and I realise that doesn't include spark fees, etc). You'd be looking at about

(€208/€0.6)= 346.66 days.

Assuming we had 30-40 of these perfect sunshine days a year, ballpark 10 years for payback.

Me? I wouldn't bother. Sure - for the "purist", it's nice not to have clipping, but in reality it's such a small (small) percentage loss of your overall production (single digit %) that it's not really worth bothering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 twitcherdub

Best day so far here in Dublin South, 35.3 on even split of ESE WNW , 5.88kwh

setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭silver_sky

28.1kWh here today (vs forecasted 32.6kWh) so not too bad at all!

overall power is down vs peak of the system but it was at least even across the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

The solar God was a little more favorable today (in red) than yesterday, even though they were very similar for the 1st half of the day.

New all-time record for me, but to be fair I added 3 panels 8 weeks ago, so this is my 1st May/June with the upgraded system

36.6Kwhr off 6.5Kwp split E/W, pretty happy with that. If I chuck on the shed's 11.9Kwhr, I was pretty close to 50Kwhr. Always wanted to break that magic number! Albeit 25Kwhr was exported. Maybe I'll get it before the solstice......

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Record day yesterday with 64.2kWh.

10.4kWp with Solis 6kW inverter in South Dublin. Pointed south.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm a complete newcomer to solar pv, trying to get a handle on the system in a new build.

Is there a reason why on some days I generate electricity, yet on other days I generate none? There doesn't seem to be any consistency to it - i.e. on a cloudy day I could generate throughout the day yet on a day when there isn't a cloud in the sky and the sun is shining directly on the panels nothing is generated. I'm exporting back to the grid, is it something to do with grid demand or what?

It's a Hypontech inverter and there aren't any error messages on the unit. 7 PV panels installed on the roof.

Also, is it useful to get the Wifi communicator for the inverter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭idc

30.1 kWh in north dublin from a 4.65 SE/SW array. just 200 Watts short of my best day ever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I don't have the best in way of graphs, but I'll give you what I have from myenergi app (I have a Zappi) and ESBN. The caveat here is it's only measuring what I'm exporting back to the grid in terms of net export after my own consumption as there's no ct clamp on the inverter yet.

However I've been checking both the PV energy meter on the fuseboard and the indicator on the inverter itself and I can see that some days it is simply not generating anything.

Take yesterday for example - the sun was splitting the rocks all day and it was the best day in terms of sunlight out of all the ones I've posted yet nothing appears to have been generated (was checking the energy meter when I was in, but I wasn't around all day), yet on the 23rd I produced more power than I consumed and it was a relatively cloudy day.

I'll keep an eye on today as it's shaping up to be a scorcher.

is it one of these units:

What does the screen say right now? Can you determine what capacity it is? 1000/1500/2000/etc…

Did you try turning it off and back on again :) not being funny. Turn off all the isolation switches (should be two - and should be clearly labelled) wait a minute and turn them back on and see what happens.

take a photo of the screen before and after doing this.

also; rather than getting the Wi-Fi for the inverter (although this would be nice to have) you could get an additional CT clamp for the zappi and put that on the AC cable coming out of your inverter. Then the myenergy app / site will give you visibility of that data. If the inverter is not close to the Zappi and running a cable would be a pain you can use a harvi to connect the sensor remotely. But maybe the Wi-Fi is already included:

https://midsummer.ie/pdfs/hypontech-wi-fi-stick-guide-v2.0.0.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Goddam you Prosecco!!!!

Went to bed last night after a few prosecco on the patio and left the car plugged in...it was at 40% and the timed charge came on at midnight and brimmed the car all the way to 80% 😡

Was looking forward to today and filling it with sunshine.

Generated 41.7 kWh yesterday and used 75% which was good, mostly the car.

Going to turn off the timed charge now

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Nuno

Would be interested in learning more about your setup. I don't have Home Automation installed, but I was planning on powering the fans with a Sonoff switch and temp sensor but the main issue is which types of fans to use and how best to direct the airflow. Fans I've dealt with in the past are for my PC with Molex connectors that run on DC power. 😀

It is one of those units, photograph of the inverter attached and its spec label.

So it should definetely be generating now and it's not, the sun is splitting the rocks and shining directly on the panels. The inverter says "Waiting" and is on a countdown from 60s, however it does not seem to reach 0. It goes back up to 60s at random times during the countdown. The green light is flashing, indicating that the inverter is on but not feeding power.

I have one isolater beside the inverter that I have turned on and off. I also flicked the RCB at the fuseboard. No change to the inverter once isolater / fuse is turned back on.

Four of the panels are feeding into a different box and then wired into the inverter. When I turn off the isolator I can hear the box making noise.

And you mentioned that you had 7 panels? So the other 3 are connected directly to the inverter?

are all the panels pointing in the same direction?

was it originally a smaller install and someone added additional panels?

Yes, the other three are connected directly to the inverter. They are all facing the same direction. It's a new build, so it was a 7 panel install from day one - no changes made. System is only active 6 months or so.

I always had my suspicions whether it was working correctly or not, it's only since the weather improved that I'm able to sense that it should be generating more than it is. It's strange that it still has not produced anything today so far.

• Advertisement

Do you have any workmanship guarantee? Both sets of panels should really be feeding into that projoy switch; but that doesn’t explain why it’s not working.

My first port of call would be to disconnect each of the sets of PV panels in turn and see if that helps. Or try connecting the set of panels on the first input to the other one. Also testing the voltages of the strings. But if that’s sounding too complex you kinda need to call someone out.

There is a guarantee on the whole system so I'll be getting on to the developer on Monday morning to get someone out to look at it.

I should mention, I noticed that one of the PV panel cabels was detached from the Projoy switch during snagging and raised it with the developer. They seemingly sorted it but I'm wondering now if they messed something up.

Do you've any idea what the "Waiting" status on the inverter actually means?

I think I'm also going to go with your advice and get a CT clamp & Harvi for the inverter. It'll be handy to know how much I'm actually producing and not just exporting to the grid. I was looking at getting the communicator for the inverter, but the myenergi app seems easier to use. I still might get the Wifi communicator down the line. It actually seems pretty hard to find any retailer's for the Wifi communicator in Ireland!

Remember, the MyEnergi CT clamp to measure the inverter can go at the fuseboard end of that cable too (where the counter is fitted), so you likely won't need a Harvi.

Some Boardies might have a spare CT if you ask on the renewables for sale thread

Thanks! I think a Harvi will be needed regardless as our Zappi is installed from the meter box rather than the fuseboard.

On a new build. That’s against RECI advice. It’s supposed to go to the consumer unit; only to the meter cab as a last resort.

They need to install a different projoy switch that will accommodate both of the PV strings. In this current setup you have the potential to feed power back to the grid if it fails (the point of the projoy switch is to isolate the PV panels when the grid goes down.) so this needs to be addressed regardless.

They definitely messed something up. The curious thing is that it works sometimes (on cloudy days as you mentioned).

midsummer stock Hypon tech gear. But it lists that the Wi-Fi dongle is included. Maybe the installer just couldn’t have been bothered and threw it in the bin.

As it’s a new build I suppose the installer wasn’t SEAI registered as there was no grant available? I’d strongly consider doing a GDPR to find out what RECI signed your NC6 form and report them to the SEAI and to RECI.

In fairness to the solar PV installer, the EV charger was installed by a different installer after I moved in. The planning application for the development pre-dated the requirement for the development to be wired for an EV charger. Installer was satisfied they were unable to run the cable back to the fuse board due to an obstruction. The solar PV installer is SEAI registered, appear to be a big enough outfit.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how I get on with it once the installer calls out. I agree, it's really peculiar that it generates power on some occasions. That's why I wasn't confident assuming that something was wrong until lately. I assumed it was just the weather. I know with today's exceptional weather that there is definitely something wrong given that zero power has been produced today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Report to SEAI for what though. They have nothing to do with the install as there is no grant.

But I agree, it needs to be checked out.

It could be settings related too, as good days could mean a higher grid voltage, good day, more export, higher grid, inverter shuts off.

But if the 7 panels are all on the same roof, the 3 panel string may not even be getting enough voltage to start up, 7* say 400w is only 2.8kw, and there is 2 12amp mppts on it

All panels can be on the one string (and then that projoy fireman switch is fine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

I turned off the charged timer about start of this month. If it's a Zappi you can set it to charge a fixed amount of kWh per day. 'Smart' boost. So if solar doesn't fill it, the grid will overnight.

Handy so the battery won't get too low. But when the weather is like this, it's not needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I have a spare new myenergi ct clamp if you want it FOC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Looks like a cracking week ahead so will have everything full fairly sharpish, anybody need a car charged...

Advertisement