Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No you're not stuck in traffic, you ARE traffic.. Traffic made up by the numbers of Private (and commercial) vehicles using the road not cause of a narrow cycle lane... Griffith Ave. is a leafy residential road not an extension of the M50 as some people may think it is or want it to be..

You'll notice the absolute scarcity of cycle lanes off the Avenue apart from some painted cycle gutters usually with Vans parked in them...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

NTA then. Does DCC really have a say in where bus stops should be? Genuine question. No point in allocating the space if the bus is not going to stop there. High quality bus corridors with high quality stops - and these ones are the best I’ve seen in Dublin - are a far cry from just plugging a pole in the ground like the regular stops. Maybe it’s more complicated than DCC making a unilateral decision? Just asking for clarity - you seem to have some info.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Which numerous people including myself who walk and cycle Griffith Avenue every day tell you is absolutely bullshit. Plenty of people using the cycle lane every day despite the fact that it isn't finished and is poor quality.

Also I'm not sure what you are blathering about traffic caused by the Cycle lane. There hasn't been any significant change to the amount of road space on Griffith Avenue, just a reconfiguration of the cycle lanes and on street parking, it is the same two traffic lanes it always has been.

Here is a picture of what it looked like 6 years ago from Google Maps:

Note it has always been just two lanes.

Also for fun note the car on the left parked in the middle of the cycle lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Commercial drivers should be taking their frustration out on the people making unnecessary car journeys, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Gloomtastic clearly doesnt notice the cyclists using the cycle lane because they're gone in a flash. He certainly notices the traffic because he's stuck in it for so long 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

You’re painting a great picture of yourself. A van driver with poor observational skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Those bloody cyclists again 😀 (sarcasm alert)

Thousands of homes and businesses across Dublin without water due to major outage

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2023/05/25/thousands-of-homes-and-businesses-across-dublin-without-water-due-to-major-outage/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

NTA not answering when asked how/why/when the decision was made.

There is supposedly a query (again) going to the from the Minister's office on my behalf to NTA soon. Perhaps they will answer that. It makes an absolute joke of the whole thing to get rid of the busiest stop (Stop 617) on the road in the section of road that has had the most disruption. The stop directly opposite (Stop 4384) is supposed to be going too (I say supposedly because as residents we get no actual info - one of the workmen told someone), but it is not so bad as the alternative is Stop 518 under the bridge, not too far away, previously only used for the 53 to East Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

518 is also being removed. See attached which was issued last August after works started. Documents as recently as May/June last year showed the old stops remaining.

I went around the ringer with this. Got responses from local politicians and NTA, but got no where. They claim it's been decided after consultation and following best practice, but they showed no proof of this.

There was clearly no proper consultation carried out, as evident by the removal of the stop at Preston Street, where a new entrance to Connolly will be built. Very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's worse than I thought. We have years of the road in shite, noise all the time and then they take the bus stops to encourage us to use public transport. What a complete f up.

I notice they are not moving the wendy house bus stop out in leafy Clontarf which is literally a stone's throw from the next one. Some Dublin 3 residents more equal than others.

At least 2 or 3 people will be able to park their cars in the shiny new spaces where there is no room for a bus stop that would have served hundreds.

Is the cycle lane inbound open now? It seems blocked off between Alfie Byrne Road and Westwood, so I stayed on the road through Fairview this morning only to get beeped at and berated by a taxi driver (who else) for nor being in the cycle lane. I did see some people walking in the lane. Confusion all round.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's open from Westwood onwards, right up until around Annesley Bridge. The walking in the cycle lane is going to be a problem that people are just going to have to get used to. Keeping the fence around the park means that anyone crossing the road outside of the designated crossing points will be stuck on the cycle track until they get to a hole in the fence.

Good to know, cheers. Wasn't obvious at all that I should have been in there. Sounds like there will be a collision between cyclist and pedestrian in no time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Entire area is a mess, and will be until it finishes up, so I wouldn't worry about it at all. With people walking in the cycle lane, cycling in the bus lane is a valid choice, and totally legal regardless.

My taxi man friend wasn't enjoying a nice sunny day. The chap should have gone for a nice leisurely cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭highdef

If all cyclists in the cycle lane ring the bell on their bikes when approaching pedestrians stupidly walking in the cycle lane, perhaps the pedestrians will soon learn that they shouldn't be walking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

You should report that taxi driver to the NTA. They feel too much entitled, similar to some farmers.

Didn't even acknowledge him, wouldn't give him the satisfaction. Much less get his taxi plate number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

We should ban these pesky taxi drivers off College Green corridor asap for them to feel not being the kings of the city roads. We all share roads equally. I am a driver myself, but am extra careful to be safe and sound with pedestrians and cyclists. Especially cyclists as they often are equipped with cameras and sometimes are angry. I don't want to piss them off. But there's the reasons they are like this. Taxi drivers are much more protected around their metal can. They are just arrogant c u next tuesday 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just on one point: you really shouldn't need the possibility of being filmed to drive safely past a vulnerable road user.

As for getting angry, this only happens me when someone puts me in danger for their own convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Another stop/go system in place at the bridge just after Westwood. It was at the Alfie Byrne road last weekend and caused huge delays so expect something similar this weekend.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

There is also one at the moment between Xavier Avenue and Northbrook Avenue. No idea for how long because why would they bother telling locals anything about it?

'Road Control' in charge, so we know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There's so much wrong with the works that it isn't even funny. The roads are borderline dangerous, especially for cyclists. The footpaths from the fire brigade station to the 5 lamps are a disgrace. I don't know who is signing off on all this but you wouldn't see this type of thing on a building site. It would be shutdown by a competent healtha md safety officer until it was made safe.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Was headed in on the path yesterday around 13.40. Woman walked into the cycle lane looking in the opposite direction close to the footbridge and collided with a scooter rider, despite bells and shouting. Neither fell over, but it was close. Then on the part closer to Annesley there was a group of about 15 foreign students. They sort of single filed after I told them it was a cycle lane.

I've come across various people walking in the lane, and just slow down and politely tell them it's a cycle lane. I stopped for one old lady last week, to help her across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

i notice tourists on dublin bikes going the wrong way in dedicated cycle lanes.... especially on the quays

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Walking past the roadworks at the junction of Alfie Byrne Road and Clontarf Road spotted quite a few raised manhole covers.

I’m hoping they will be levelled off when the final road surface is laid but then the drain covers will be below the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Do ya really think now that you're the only one that noticed that and that the builders haven't?

It's a building site FFS

There will be even more oldies and mobility impaired on the footpaths hoofing it to the moved bus stops. A triumph of planning.

• Advertisement

That's fine, the footpaths are where they should be

Advertisement