Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Aha. An English man telling us how to behave in our own country!

An English man who has lived here for 30 years, since he was a young teenager? Wow. So, no one except ethnic Irish born and bred should have any say about anything in the country?

And why do you think he is an English man anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well yeah thats exactly right, he needs to pipe down sticking his oar in about people in Clare who are born and bred here who are concerned about what is going on in their communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Do you know anything about human beings and their Hierarchy of Needs . Safe place , shelter , food , but being able to trust and feel safe is most important .

Do you think you would be able to function normally in that sort of environment in a strange place with nothing of home around you and unable to speak the language?

Never mind that many of these people whether you can stretch your mind to believe it or not , come from dangerous, abusive and threatening environments .

These people are traumatised, ffs .

Duolingo indeed . And Parents Ass. es ., Ugh ! Seriously ? Facile post . And nothing remotely charitable .

Now, if someone isn't showing their racist self.......

You didn't answer, why do you think he is English?

Oh how predictable but not surprising calling me racist but luckily for me I don't care.

He's as English as they come.

• Advertisement

Is he? Care to show how you know he's English?

Cause I can't tell by looking at him........

Born in England, then his family moved to Kuwait,Scotland before moving here.

So English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The whole country criticises the gardaí when they deserve criticism. We also criticise the hospitals, we don't want hospital staff intimidated or messed with while they're trying to do their jobs. It's clear you're just playing identity politics. Any trouble in these accom centres is grand with you because you just don't want those you disagree with to be able to point to it. There was no problem commenting on the people involved on the blockade in Clare but on this you only have criticism for those talking about it. Clear identity politics rámeais.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

In some years time this debacle will be exhibit A in the biggest corruption investigation this country has ever seen.

"And during an infrastructure crisis of unprecedented level, over the creation of which you presided, you and your departments decided to facilitate more and yet more people into Ireland, in full knowledge that it was against the will of the people, and could only ever exacerbate the multiple crises?

The only question that needs answering is "why", and the answer will be found."

When the next step proposed is to buy floating barges to house people around the coast of the country, you know the game is up. It was once wild fantasy and dismissed as such.

What else do people currently think is "too far" or "unbelievable"? Because, as has been amply demonstrated, nothing is off the cards for these people. Nothing.

That doesn't prove he is English.

Someone born here, then moving to Vietnam and then USA isn't automatically Irish.

• Advertisement

I don't criticise hospitals, in fact I don't know anyone who would criticise hospitals. Why would someone do that?

No, any public order problems are not grand with me, I know gardai will deal with them, what they won't get however is the public backing unless, like this the offenders happen to be a different colour.

People on the checkpoints in Clare should have been stopped by gardai, same as the group involved in public order incidents should also be stopped by gardai. It's not up to public opinion how gardai do their jobs.

Gardai don't need faux sympathies.

Ok

Weird logic you have going on there and it makes no sense but fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

We must never underestimate the media's role in this shambles. It's an almost 100% left leaning homogeneous grouping parroting the Govt's stance with the - 'International obligation,' 'far right on the rise', 'we are a rich country', 'we must do more' mantras

How did we get to this place? - I've never heard anyone asking a Govt rep about the opt out clause available to us via the Lisbon treaty. I have not heard anyone directly asking O'Gorman - Why did he invite the world and their dog to come here and offer them own door accommodation after a few months?...and all the other follow up questions - was this a solo run?, was this discussed and agreed at cabinet?, were there threats to collapse the govt if he didn't get it through?, did he not think people would take him up on his invite? What did his well paid advisers (that we pay for) think of the invites? So many questions. PK or Sarah McInerney would've ripped him asunder if they were allowed to - but they weren't allowed and this begs the question, why not?

^That frustrates the hell out of me and I'm sure plenty of others. No dissenting views allowed - Claire Byrne had 4/4 pro immigration heads on the political panel last week and immigration was barely mentioned this week. The Govt/RTE relationship is kinda obvious, a mutual backscratching arrangement. Govt: We won't give you a hard time for running the place like your own fiefdom, pay yourselves whatever you want, turf €2m down the toilet on a stupid musical? - no problem...and we'll give you the nod when we want you to back off. RTE do fart about trying to look tough when they talk about stuff like our own indigenous homeless, but it's just an act really.

I'm not too sure what the other media outlets get from going soft on the Govt though. It can't just be down to the possibility of a few journo's positioning themselves for getting a govt adviser position

There's definitely media control of some sort going on imo, just without the Polonium, Novichok and falling out of hotel windows involved

Imo, The Irish Examiner is the only msm outlet that does put up the odd article that the Govt would have preferred they didn't. Pat Kenny also does a few reports on the passport trashing and you can tell just how pissed off he is about it but seems hamstrung by his overlords

Also, we do get the odd accidental glimpse of reality - example: When the VM tonight show did a poll 'Do you think the Govt is doing a good job re refugees/asylum seekers?' YES 10% - NO 90%

Or the recent IT poll - Q. Do you agree or disagree with - "There is a limit to the number of asylum seekers/refugees Ireland can cope with?" A. Agree 84% - Disagree 11% - (thick 5%)

I don't think we'll be seeing many more polls in the future on this (à la the Peter Casey PE cancelled polls debacle)

Then we get to Gript Media. The left leaning will automatically take the dismissive (ugh!) approach having being conditioned by lefty twitter types that Gript is like something out of the Joseph Goebbels playbook. We've seen it here with posters 'holding their noses to read an article' - Gript is simply giving a centre right viewpoint imo, but when you're looking at it from a very left pov, it probably does look quite far away and thus seems very right

IMO, the Govt are vastly underestimating just how pissed off people are of being fed a constant stream of pro immigration rhetoric - they [the people] have made their minds up already and the pro immigration rhetoric is winding people up even more - it is totally counterproductive and people simply switch off (physically or metaphorically)

To sum up that last paragraph: The Government has lost the room

No, you still haven't proven how you know he is English.

Suppose it doesn't matter, seeing as how you have shown your true colours, imagine thinking someone living here for 30+ years should have no say in anything going on!

That's what I mean folks about treating people like second class citizens. How dare anyone who hasn't been born and bred here and never moved more then 10 miles from the crossroads he grew up in, have any opinions!!

Imagine, people living here all their lives, being part of a community, paying taxes, still being thought of the way you think about this man.

Right or wrong, this gigantic cohort of migrants into the country over the space of a mere decade or so, will have some mountain to climb in claiming to be Irish.

Such a bizarre blip in Irish history, and it'll echo for centuries to come, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed, whilst the EU has laws related to the treatment of refugees and asylum seekers such as the Dublin Convention, much of Ireland's responsibilities comes not from the EU at all but from being signatories to the 1951 Refugee Convention and the European Convention on Human Rights (1953) (i.e. we had refugee laws and responsibilities long before we joined the EEC).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

People criticise hospitals when their scans are misread and they miss out on timely vital treatment, people criticise hospitals when they fall below standards of care, etc. But you know all this. Gardaí do receive public backing for a myriad of reasons from local level to national, they also receive plenty of criticism and they should, it's a job that requires a lot of trust from the public. But of course you only want to throw out accusations of racism because you don't want anyone talking about these instances. Your happy for people to voice support for Gardaí when they are breaking up protests in Clare and wherever but its racist to voice support for them when they intervene in asylum seekers causing issues. Seems a double standard and you haven't a clue what sympathies are faux and what aren't.

He was born in England so that makes him English

I'm born here so I'm Irish

It's not that hard to work out

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

I'm not 100% sure, but did he say his mother was from Cork

I don't do Twitter btw but I sure as hell don't consider Gript appropriate reading material except for those on a local fascist training course , when one or more of the writers at the very least are very right wing and have nailed those colours for election . (But failed miserably )

The editor is also a writer for The Irish Catholic , not a sin of itself , but goes towards the ethos .

He has been a communications director for Libertas and has been outspoken on every referendum recently on the against side .

The publication is prolife / anti gov / anti lgbti / anti immigrant and printing 'news 'that other media sources retract and apologise for , but hey , not these guys .

Oh and anti hate speech laws , wonder why that is ?!

It doesn't " seem " far right , it is .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'm not going to get into an argument with you because I do genuinely believe you are a decent person with your heart in the right place

I don't go down the 'trying to change peoples minds' route (not saying you do) in these discussions, hence my low post count. I listen way more than I talk as a rule

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Our son was born in England, both his parents Irish. He was there for just over two years. I suppose the fact he has an Irish passport means nothing and he is English according to your logic.

I hope other people don't take such a thick eejit approach to people living in Ireland.

Post edited by grumpyperson on

It simply does not stand to reason.

If politicians were considered employees, which they are, and they went out of their way to damage the company, again and again, doing the opposite of what they were hired to do, how long would it be tolerated?

The whole thing stinks to high heaven of corruption.

Well don't half quote me then.

I was the one who said I didn't want to read that publication .

I said I was gritting my teeth btw not holding my nose :)

Apologies for going nuclear.

Am a culchie living in Dublin for well over 40 years ...tell me about it 🙄

Then we have to speak up to our present representatives and get them to do what we the voters want .

The alternatives are not electable nor are they the answer ..and I am not talking about any of the political parties presently in the Dáil ...but those lying in wait .

There may be various reasons why refugees might wish to travel to these richer countries. Conditions in poorer western countries may be so bad that very few refugees see them as a viable long term option to live in. If I was a (genuine) refugee seeking to make a new life and put down new roots, I too would be looking at a Germany or France or Italy, or yes an Ireland, rather than an Albania or a Moldova.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I think the floating accommodation isn’t that bad an idea. Anchors up at night and come back empty in a few days after dropping them home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don't think we should be taking in refugee,s from Sierra Leone ,Africa we are a small country there's already a housing crisis in terms of shortage of rental units for Irish people is there any reason to take in non EU refugees, apart from the no of people we have agreed to take in from Ukraine

To be realistic industry's like hotels shops retail depend on non Irish EU workers to a large extent the housing crisis has been going on for years it's caused by bad planning lack of government long term planning

There's simply not enough Irish people here to staff all the jobs that are available

• Advertisement

I think the Syrian migrant crisis of 2015 may well have been a catalyst. Once one million refugees had entered the EU through the Balkan route, they were going to have to be settled somewhere in the union (as they were perfectly entitled to claim asylum under refugee law and were fleeing a genuine war). It was around this time that the idea of western Europe being a new destination for large movements of refugees began to take hold.

Advertisement