Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Imagine the revenue stream that would be. Where you pay for your steering wheel to be active. I hate subscriptions, but that's one I'd pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I think you’re being hopelessly optimistic to think that every taxi driver in the worlds job would be gone in 10 years.

indeed it’s that optimism that’s keeping the Tesla SP afloat for years and the doubts creeping into that optimism is what’s causing the slow deflation in the SP. “Everything returns to the mean-line eventually”, so they either deliver on FSD at level 3 levels on all cars soon, or not at all. Even if they could achieve it, the take-up rate on a $15k option will be low, relatively speaking.

heck, even in Ireland, we have (I think) about 20,000km of roads, and I’m going to stick my neck out and say that, we’ll still be steering down 80-90% of our roads in 20-30 years time, never mind, and the ‘non-car’ agricultural etc transport.

(and bear in mind the Tesla statement that FSD is all about saving lives - motorways are already the safest roads by a considerable margin)

motorways and cities first, over the coming decades.

I think the jobs of taxi drivers in every 2nd and 3rd world country (majority of the 8bn people) will be safe for many decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@sk8board - "I think you’re being hopelessly optimistic to think that every taxi driver in the worlds job would be gone in 10 years."

Re-read my post. I said taxi drivers in the first world. I specifically made that point as I have the same view as yourself, that it could take a lot longer for it to make economic sense to replace third world taxi drivers earning just a couple dollars per hour.

Ignore the Tesla bull twitter handle, This guy’s analysis has always been excellent over the past few years. Huge amount of effort to analyse and compile.

in terms of accuracy, he’s off by very low single digit %’s every quarter, if not bang on target.

well worth following if you follow $TSLA.

the handle name also hides how level-headed he appears to be in his commentary. No time for BS from either side.

Post edited by sk8board on

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Tesla are falling hard in the reputable company brand rankings.

US customers now place them below Toyota, Honda, BMW and Ford.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-plummets-50-spots-survey-musk-most-reputable-brands-ford-2023-5?r=US&IR=T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Don't know if I'd hold much esteem for a survey that gives Lieota as the most reputable car brand. A lot of people feel threatened by EVs, even more so in the US than here

There’s definitely a change in perception from Tesla owners towards the Tesla brand, for sure.

my own view is that Tesla have never claimed to care much about current owners, versus their laser focus on prospective owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

They did at the start. It changed when the M3 started shipping (badly). They couldn’t do enough for their owners, starting with the mobile service and carrying through to upgraded loan cars for all service work (not just warrantee) and complementary roadside assistance even for customer-fault items like dead HV battery and flat tyres. They also included premium connectivity and free SuC for life although you could easily argue that those were sales tactics, not customer care.

Post edited by markpb on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tesla in 2018 when I got my S was a very different company to the current day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Current focus is volume and a move from expensive niche cars to an EV for the masses (akin to what the toyota corolla was in terms of ICE cars)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

This level of service wasn't sustainable long term. Indeed it was just early sales/marketing tactics for wealthy Model S owners to be happy about to aid word of mouth.

I don't see a whole pile wrong with the brand though apart from Musk being an insufferable prick. The cars are fairly reliable, low running costs and the performance is excellent. Previous years owners were understandably salty when Tesla slashed prices so I wonder if that's a major contributor to the poor brand perception.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think previous owners can stomach the lower prices if Tesla offered a genuine fair trade in process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

I'm not sure if Tesla indeed cares about prospective owners, as waiting thread suggests otherwise. However I find it unique that they build this premium brand around Model S and Model X and now they move into mass market. I think if they were typical car company they would create separate brand for Model 3 and Model Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

Cars out of the Fremont factory also have the highest number of quality control issues compared to the MIC vehicles which have supplied the RHD market since 2021, so its not unreasonable to expect more complaints on a per capita basis out of the US.

No that was all part of the big plan from the start. Probably the only path to go from zero to making 10 million cars a year within 20 years. The vision to do this was astounding, even with hindsight

First make an extremely expensive sports car to prove concept of EV. With the proceeds and kudos make an expensive saloon to show the world an EV can be a real every day car. Then with the proceeds from that build a mass manufactured, mass market car, by design not in the most popular segment - for the early adopters and tech heads who will tolerate problems and issues. And when all that is perfected, mass manufacture a super high margin, high build quality car in the most popular segment for the masses who don't really care if their car is EV or petrol or diesel or hybrid

I know they planned to manufacture mass cars from the beginning, it is just unusual to de-premium brand. Other brands try to be more premium (see VW Phaeton) over time. They could have introduced a new mass market brand with cheaper cars and less customer service.

They still have the MS and MX. Just not in Ireland. We are insignificant in global car sales so makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

Almost every 'premium' brand has something which defines or has defined them previously them in their respective class. Mercedes has comfort, bmw has driving experience, volvo has safety. Tesla has class leading performance, efficiency, and software experience. They have transparent pricing, what you see advertised is what you pay with no unexpected delivery charges or dealership fees. Sure they've made some poor hardware decisions recently but they're still highly desirable and class leading in some areas

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ford to include CCS and NCAS ports on all gen 2 Ford EVs in the US and will have full access to the SC network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wonder will they be plug and charge like Tesla without the need for the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

this isn’t terribly surprising when you consider Tesla buyers by and large tend to want ‘a Tesla’ - and they only make 2 models

And all 4 of the others are Toyotas - unbelievable how many models they have. I think I read somewhere last week that they have 6 of the top 10.

You’re not surprised that Tesla buyers want to buy a Tesla? That’s a strange comment.

Im not surprised Toyota are second as Toyota owners tend to want to buy a Toyota 🤔

That's a thing of the past. A typical Tesla buyer back in 2019 wanted a Tesla alright and nothing else would do. A typical Tesla buyer in 2023 just buys the Model Y because it is best in class for the money. They are either a first time EV owner or they are coming from another EV, mostly not a Tesla.

Post edited by unkel on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's super cool.

And an interesting note, that must be the first EV sold with 2 DC connectors neither of which work in europe.

That is exactly my point, in those markets they de-premium their brand. Legacy manufacturer would keep premium CS with high-end car and then have more basic offering for mass market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Fremont cars are very reliable according to the Germans, each column is a build year. First one is 2020, second is 2019. Looks like you'd have grounds for a class action against the best built cars in the world though 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Advertisement

big drop off in FSD sales since Q2 2019, to be expected.

of note though, the zero interest in China and RoW and just 6-8% in Europe. Self driving cars outside of Europe and US cities is literally decades away still

id expect an uptick since Q4 with the FSD beta release

Advertisement