Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Yes all channels, I turned it off and on if that is what you mean? Is there a separate option for a full reboot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Go into the skin selection and select it from the list that is in there say yes and exit out , not sure if box needs a restart GUI and when it starts up again new skin should be there and working

If box did a restart GUi it should be enough to see logs are enabled.

If you ever want to get access into your box from a pc all new images stop you from going in there until you use your remote to set up a password and write it down as we forget as some people want to send a file to pc and watch it there.

Recheck EPG is going to HDD or issues will happen in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Leonita

OK have the skins sorted. I can see some plugins I downloaded just to test it. Moviemanager is one that will not show up on the plugin browser. I've tried deleting and reinstalling

The epg is going to HDD.

I think that I have set up a password but not 100% sure if done correctly. I am able to use the system when I log in on the laptop.

Since I reflashed when something is recording the time is stuck at the time the recording started. It used to update when the box was on standby.

If you had a FTP service like Filezilla you could not login unless your password was setup on box and entered into info box within Filezilla

I dont use Moviemanager but some plugins are not upto date and wont work { old ones not updated to use in new images }

Not using a clock so i would not notice as too far away or maybe its showing channel its on

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Leonita

I just tapped in the address on the laptop and I can work away with it. Had a look there and FTP is enabled and running on the box so I must have set it up correctly.

Before this morning if something was recording and the box was on standby the time would show correctly. Now it seems to just get stuck on the time the recording starts. I'm sure I had to do something before but I can't remember now.

That would make sense that the moviemanager plugin could be outdated because any others I downloaded appeared on the plugins browser. I must remove the ones I downloaded as an experiment .

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭egal

When I'm watching Millionaire on VM1 the subtitles are way, way out of sync with the speech. Is there any way to get them in sync?

I have never used subtitles but did have a lip sync and box rebooted seems to have fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭MenloPete

I've often wondered how VM (mis)managed subtitling. Yesterday on The Chase (what else?) the subtitles were a couple of minutes ahead. Even as they went to a break we had already had the next contestant introduced.

I've even seen subtitles for a different episode appear.

This has nothing to do with Zgemma btw.

That's it then. Virgin don't care and there's nothing the hard-of-hearing viewer can do about it. Their loss then.

Funnily enough, I've just been watching Millionaire and the subtitles were spot on! First time I've seen them like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi lads just tried a H7S on the dish and wiring that came with my new place and the channels are perfect.

One thing though is that timeshift and other hdd functions dont seem to be working. Getting the 1TB hdd in the slot at the back was a bit of a faff as it was so tight but its definitely in now as I hear it spin up if I put my ear to it on boot.

Its probably something to do with the mount options, however any change I make or anything I try to save in this menu makes the box crash and reboot. What am I actually trying to do here and why are there 4 options for one hdd? Partitions? Any help appreciated thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You need to go initialise the hdd in settings.

Excellent thats done now thanks and all working, Im planning on reading this whole thread on my next night shift but seems like a great piece of kit so far.

Make sure your EPG is set to go to hdd and not internal flash

This thing is pretty great tbh, must swap out my auld lads old Ariva 250 for one, he hates the timer recording and playback faff on that, setting a recording on the H7S is a breeze in comparison.

If he had another room with a tv he might be able to stream via client mode using a tuner or with Samba and box on network play recordings on the Ariva from the H7S

Hi lads sorry for another question but just before I get to grips with this monster thread can I just check there isnt some quick setup file or image someone made that will give you all the Irish channels first then all the British channels in the usual order.

Im actually struggling to see if theres any way to set up a combined channel list on the box itself and Im failing to see it, its very nice in use but not so nice when you need to do something like rearrange the channels in order or even combine Saorview and sat channels,

I assume I need to use some kind of web interface for this? Im just not seeing how though, the manual is useless. Is there a quick setup guide anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I find the quickest and easiest way to organise the channels is to use OpenWebif.

Find out the IP address of your ZGemma (Menu - Information - Network will show it). Type the IP address into your browser on your laptop/PC. Assuming the ZGemma is networked, this will open a connection to the box with a very handy interface. At the bottom left side of the page there is an "Exrtras" tab and under that is te Bouquet Editor.

Once in the Bouquet Editor you'll see lists of all tuned channels on the left side. Then you can create a "Favourites" bouquet on the right side and add each individual channel that you want to appear in the Favourites EPG. Then you can re-order them in any way you like - for example, my favourites lists starts with RTE1, RTE2, ITV, Channel4, BBC1, BBC2, Virgin 1, Virgin 2, etc.

There is a way and somebody will talk you through how to set it up as i have my bouquets and epg separate.

Webif uses your box ip address on a laptop to control box box functions there also + it needs a lan connected to box

This is the interface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Hi, sorry so many pages on this thread and no idea how to start

I have a zgemma, just bought in a shop. Suddenly a load of the BBC channels are gone off it. Can I just download something to set it back up the same it was when it left the shop without doing loads of playing aorund with interface? I don't have anything really set up on it I want to keep but just want all the channels back as before

Sorry I am computer illiterate.

What i would need to ask is what image is on box and is it connected to internet.

Are you using channels from your all list A - Z or from Bouquets.

If from Bouquets like ABM i would rescan to update your channel lists

The BBC channels went through a lot of frequency changes recently, as all the regional variations moved to HD. You'll probably have to rescan some frequencies to get the channels back. The full list of tuning details are at https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

As channels change frequencies quite often (and don't automatically update on your box like Sky does), it's worth finding out how to scan frequencies for channels and how to then put the scaned channels in order on your box. All the information you need should be contained in this thread, but if you've any specific questions, someone here is likely to help.

How to scan for particular satellite channels on ZGemma H7 with OpenVix image.

First find the frequency for the channel you need at https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

The following method is one way to do it, and it's a good idea to get used to scanning for channels, because you will need to do it from time to time.

Press Menu - Setup - Tuners & Scanning - Manual Scan - make sure "Tuner A" is selected - make sure "User defined Transponder" is selected.

The fields you may need to change are "System", "Frequency", "Symbol Rate", "Polarization", "FEC" and "Modulation".

The details for each of those fields will be at the top of the details for the frequency on https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

So for example, to tune in BBC2 NI (and other channels), you'll see the Frequency is 10773, Polarization is H, System is DVB-S2, Symbol Rate is 27500, FEC is 3/4, and Modulation is 8PSK.

Once you have the correct details entered, press the green button to scan. The available channels should be found. 

You can then choose where you want to place them in your channel list (there's lots of information about saving your channels to Favourites lists etc earlier in this thread)

Is there any way to run an rj45 cable straight from my laptop to the H7S and use all the network functions that way? Connecting it straight to the router does nothing, doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it in settings either. What am I missing here?

I can honestly say having built a few gaming pcs and spent a lot of time messing around with flashing Chinese android phones, linux distros, modchips in game consoles and other stuff like that this is by far the most awkward bastard of a piece of technology I've ever come across in my life, it just refuses to cooperate, I've never seen anything like it.

I'm stuck with the channels that were on it the day I got it and nothing else I try works, I just want to reorder the channels and have Saorview and Freesat on the one list, the default list when you turn the box on. This is actually ridiculous now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It should work over ethernet to your router or via the laptop if sharing internet connection over ethernet. What image are you using? A few screenshots may help us troubleshoot the issue. Usually ethernet drivers are included on the image.

Via the laptop though, what do you mean by that please? Can I rj45 from the laptop to the box? An ip address or mac address or anything?

Heres the image data, this is what came on the box straight from the shop, maybe thats the problem:

Is there anything I can do with a usb key? Just to rearrange the channels and make it a bit usable. I literally dont care about anything else even if it has no EPG or anything.

That is a very old Openvix Image as now on 6.3 series i think.

Do you have a live lan cable in your room ? yes and if you had a network switch 5 or more ports plug it into that and use the network wizard for setting up your connection. Many things may not work on that old version?

• Advertisement

I have a lan cable and it's definitely working because it's the one I plug into my gaming pc and the router, plugging it into the box and the router I might as well be plugging it into a concrete block, there is nothing there after multiple reboots of both box and router. I have also tried a crossover cable just in case, same result. Vodafone router, brand new.

Thanks for trying to help but I'm worried people are thinking I'm asking for more than I am. I literally don't care about the images or networking or anything I just want to arrange the channels in order, there surely has to be a way of doing that either with the remote or a USB stick?

Is there anything I can try with a LAN cable and the laptop?

Advertisement