Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC Final Match Thread - Stormers V Munster - Saturday May 27th 2023 17:30, TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

With Hodnett starting, I wonder if the plan is to really go at them with precise tacking and jacklers hitting a lot of breakdowns.

I feel it's a real place to attack them for two reasons: 1. they'll be expecting less competition at the breakdown if they primarily focused on the last game with their analysis. And 2., two areas Stormers are disproportionately weak: Libbok's place-kicking and Dweeba's darts. So if the lads a bit too zealous at the breakdown it's not the end of the world if you concede a few more penalties than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That’s a great shout with the jackal attempts if Libbok gets the yips.

I was hoping to re-watch the game a few weeks ago this week but never got around to it.

But I have a pretty good memory of their game in Thomond last season; they came flying out of the blocks, and but for a POM try-saving intervention, they’d have been out of sight.

As the match wore on, Munster’s fitness came into it and we ended up being comfortable winners in the end.

I’m not expecting it to be at all comfortable 2moro, but I’m hopeful the fitness work we did pre and early-season will stand to us here, like it did vs Glasgow and Leinster with huge ball-in-play times.

If we’re close with 20 to go, hopefully we’ll have the superior fitness to get us over the line. And we can’t underestimate the lift Snyman off the bench could give.

Yeah my only concern there though, Aloooof, will be the pitch and the weather. Yes, as Rowntree suggested in the presser, we also get **** weather in Ireland. But we also have our pitches in a lot better condition. On the one hand, a heavy muddy pitch should tire them just as much if not more than us. On the other hand, it'll wreak havoc on linespeed and other more dynamic strengths.

And on the linespeed point, I’m half expecting it to be a bit of a mad game tbh.

Stormers are capable of running it in from anywhere, and our defence often has to scramble a lot, in large part due to our linespeed. (And we were cut up thru the middle a few times back when we had that wobble vs Scarlets and Glasgow. Even Benneton).

Basically, remember that game vs Racing a good few years ago that was super cagey, and 0-0 after 60-odd minutes?

I think this could be the complete opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Hoping to keep the lid on these guys for 80 minutes is optimistic as we have seen. They can destroy any team with individual breaks, and if they happen to build a big lead early then the game plan has to change on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its gonna be a game to remember.

I expect a lot of talking points from this

The pitch conditions, the beef between certain players, the intensity both teams will bring to this final... It's stewing away nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Like the look of that Munster 23. Think there’s a great chance to win. All the pressure is on the Stormers as defending champions playing at home. People have written off Munster. There’s pre-existing niggle between the teams. These are the days and narratives that Munster turn up for.

Hoping they get over the line and that Crowley has a big game. Huge opportunity for him to stake his claim for the Irish 10 jersey. Like the drop goal 2 weeks ago, these are the games and moments which can propel a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kuang1

Agreed. And will sow some inevitable seeds of proper rivalry when we meet SA in the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Every match I've seen the Stormers play, they've run out of steam long before the 60 minute mark.

If Munster are within a score in the final quarter, they'll win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Come on Munster, who would of thought it would be this situation after a very average season

Mammoth test esp having it down there

I assume home advantage is for the higher rank team thus why its in Cape Town ? Its not like the HC in which a neutral venue is chosen

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

Good luck to Munster today.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

good luck Munster! Should be a great match.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

GWAN

Getting nervy know. Think this could end up being a fractious one, wouldn’t be surprised to see a card or two. Could end up being the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Excited for this, think Munster are well capable of winning this. Really want this squad to have some reward for their efforts

Looking at the pitch it seems the organizers have dropped the ball allowing the showcase game be played on this surface.

Its going to have a massive effect on the quality of the game, might suit munster in some aspects and not in others and its the same surface for both teams but as a final in a relatively new competition its a bad look.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Western province rugby couldn’t do anything about the pitch as it wasn’t their home ground.since they signed the contract recently to call it home they have announced that they will put in a hybrid pitch in July.

• Advertisement

Its a pity.

Hopefully the losers of the game dont use it as an excuse but it could favor munster in the scrum and the stormers in the loose if its slows up the game and stops munster moving their pack around the place.

Time will tell, but looking at the Premership final in a pristine twickenham the grass is doing the occasion a disservice

Went back and watched the URC match from April last night.

Pros:

• Scrum held up absolutely fine
    • Linespeed really bothered them
    • Picked our moments to compete at the breakdown
    • Won 2-3 of their lineouts

Cons:

• Libbok missed at least 8 gimmie points
    • Their scrum did manage to turn the screw when it really mattered
    • If they can get it wide, they're lethal
    • They didn't have Fourie that day

Make no mistakes, this can't be a low-scoring game. Go for tries whenever they present.

Breakdown will be fascinating. Get the edge there, and it's coming home.

SUAF

Jesus F'n Christ that's some atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Awful attempt at a pass that was never on and forward too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ffs. Madness from Frisch

Crowley's kicking not been great so far. Disaster of a (forwward) pass there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Turn that fecking Mic off in the stand tg4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭theVersatile

It's like he thought he had advantage.

Not an ideal start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

• Advertisement

Advertisement