Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If we do sign a few midfielders then Henderson will see let starts, so he'll have to captain from the bench. I'd love to see Salah as captain, but not with Henderson still on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

There was a few people saying it alright, yes complete lunacy, even then. Though I had to listen to Utd buddy tell me Anthony has had a better than Salah so I guess lunacy knows no bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I wouldn't be writing Nunez off, surprised people are actually doing that.

He was playing well until Klopp took an odd turn and decided to plough on with Gakpo as his starter. I don't think he recovered from randomly being banished to the bench amid a good run for himself, and that is an absolutely fair reaction for a young player.

He's the first player that has come near to reminding me of Torres and I would absolutely not be giving up on him yet, and I wouldn't expect the club to either given they don't easily give up on big investments for better or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

At 33 his game time will be decreasing either way,he will be coming off the bench or going on it after 60 minutes more often as next season goes on , two more seasons at the club imo.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not that surprising when you see the mistakes he makes. His finishing is poor and he consistently makes terrible decisions on the ball. It is somewhat telling that the main platitude people give to him is that he makes a lot of runs.

Nunez has a long way to go before he could hold a candle to Torres.

The club will stick with him, but there's also no excuses for him any more. He has a full season under his belt, he'll have another full pre-season. He needs to hit the ground running next season, I don't think anyone wants to still be talking about his running ability come Christmas, we need to be talking about all the goals and assists he's giving us.

He's 23/24 now, same age as Torres was when he signed for us, and Torres gave us 20+ league goals in his first season. Let's see what Nunez finishes on next May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We can laugh at United all we want, but, the reality is they have finished above us twice in the last 3 seasons, yet, there are very few who would say United are actually better than us. It's quite possible they might even end up winning the FA Cup, which would mean they would have won the same trophies as us over the last 3 seasons. While there were mitigating circumstances two seasons ago due to the defensive crisis ( which was horrendously handled), there really isn't any reason why we shouldn't have been able to finish above both United (and Newcastle) this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We had a huge injury crisis this season as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Of course, absolutely a big season for him coming. His finishing needs a big improvement but to be honest, he's not the only forward we could say that about right now on our books.

I think we need to bare in mind that he was signed as someone that didn't fit our system that Klopp was using. A type of forward we were crying out for as an alternative for years. Just when he looked to be getting comfortable he lost his place in the team which I'm sure was confusing for a young player.

There are players that have done a lot worse than him under Klopp at a big price and the fanbase confoundingly gave them all the time in the world. I don't get the issue, unless the issue is that fans are just pissed off because times are rough now and are looking for a scapegoat.

Was it really a huge injury crisis or poor squad management?

When you take away the sicknotes (Keita, Ox and Thiago) which let's face it everyone knew wouldn't be available for large parts of the season, compound that by signing an even bigger sicknote on loan who wasn't even fit when signed (Arthur), most of the other injuries were short term injuries that are to be expected by any club. Only Diaz and Jota of the first team players had long term injuries. Our main problem was that we were too reliant on out of form players (Fabinho and Henderson) an ageing Milner and youngsters like Elliott and Bajcetic (who I doubt even expected to play for the fist team this season) in midfield, but, that is a direct consequence of carrying so many sicknotes in the squad. Hopefully the club has learnt the lesson and get rid of sicknotes quickly rather than hanging around and contributing very little to the squad.

Liverpool had more players miss games through injury than any other team. The next closest was 40 games behind or something like that.

• Advertisement

The sicknotes, Arthur, Kieta, Thiago and Ox have probably missed about 80 games between them, so as I was saying the rest of the squad probably suffered a similar rate of injuries as other clubs, it's just that our sicknotes skew our injuries, but, it's not surprising that they missed so many games, the club for some reason tried to rely on players who are injury prone, so not surprising that it backfired. At least most of the sicknotes are leaving with just Thaigo left, hopefully we don't buy in any more sicknotes this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Arthur (26), Firmino (10), Keita (22), Milner (9) and Oxlade-Chamberlain (14) have missed 81 games in total due to injury this season. Thiago has missed 16 games. Those six players account for 40% of all the games missed by players in the squad. A consequence of the unavailability of the midfielders is that Bajcetic was overplayed in a short period of time and sustained an injury which has caused him to miss 13 games.

Games missed through injury for 2022/23 :

Diaz : 31
    Arthur : 26
    Jota : 23
    Keita : 22
    Ramsay : 19
    Thiago : 16
    Oxlade-Chamberlain : 14
    Bajcetic : 13
    Konate : 13
    Firmino : 10
    Milner : 9
    Jones : 7
    Nunez : 7
    Van Dijk : 7
    Gomez : 5
    Matip : 5
    Henderson : 4
    Robertson : 4
    Carvalho : 2
    Alexander-Arnold : 1

The data was gathered from Transfermarkt, 26/05/2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

I don't remember Van Dijk out for 7 games with an injury this season. He was definitely missing after shite performance around the new year I think. Are those cup games he was mainly out of or is that stat for league only ? Nunez "injury" always felt like dropped. It's a shocking statistic for a team's season either way. Of all those, Arthur was inexcusable. Came with an injury and never recovered.

Van Dijk picked up a hamstring injury against Brentford in the New Years Day game and was replaced by Matip at half time. He missed the next 7 games before his return for the Newcastle game where Nick Pope lost his head after 20 minutes.

Brentford L 3-1
    Wolves (FA Cup, 3rd Round)
    Brighton L 3-0
    Wolves (FA Cup, 3rd Round Replay)
    Chelsea D 0-0
    Brighton (FA Cup, 4th Round)
    Wolves L 3-0
    Everton D 0-0
    Newcastle W 2-0

Post edited by Talisman on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Including that Newcastle game, Liverpool kept clean sheets in 5 of the next 7 PL games when VVD returned.

Looking at that list, the injury rates as far as Firmino are what a club would generally expect, plus there's always the likelihood of one long term injury like Diaz or Jota, we were unfortunate to have 2 at same time in the forward area. The others above Firmino are mostly made up of injury prone players, no surprise to see Keita, Thiago and Ox there ( tbf Ox was rarely used even when fit), plus Konate and Jota do miss more than their fair share of games. Ramsey isn't really a first team player, how many games would he have played even if fit all season, Bajcetic even with the injury still played more than anyone expected. The signing of Arthur was just bonkers.

So while on paper it looks like we had a huge injury crisis, the reality is the majority of the injuries were predictable coming from players who were known to be injury prone, Arthur, Kieta, Thiago and Ox and players that wouldn't be considered first team players Ramsey and Bajcetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There were injuries of course, but as I've said many times over the year the reaction to it by the coaching team, including Klopp, was very poor.

We were very stuck in our ways, stuck with players playing poorly, shoehorned them into a not working formation, and blindly refused to opponents working out weaknesses in the system, like the openness of the RHS with no cover for Trent, an immobile Fab, a manic highline with a 10%slower Virgil than before, etc etc.

Top 4 should still have been achieved if the coaches tweaked things earlier and had a plan b of any sort. Many teams can alter formations several times per game depending on how the game and opponent are looking, but we were months looking at the same mistakes by the same players in the same formation.

Every team gets injuries.

Hopefully Jude wins today, top scorer too, after the sale of Haaland that's impressive from a midfielders, what we so lack, goals from midfield,

Dare I suggest that Pep Lijnders, the man that preaches the doctrine of the system above all else is the reason things weren't changed sooner.

2 down after 25 minutes while Bayern lead 1-0.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Looking like 11 years in a row for Bayern, was Klopp the last manager to upset that? Have a feeling the english league will be the same

Dortmund. Chokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Is Bellimgham injured? surely unless he had two broken legs he should of played some part in that game

He's had his knee strapped up for weeks now. Given what was on the line today it must be serious if he didn't get any minutes.

Not a good sign so if he is signing for Real. No doubt if he was signing for us he would probably be out for the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

S Mane couldn't even get on the pitch for Bayern today in such an important match - real fall from grace

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RedCardKid

He has been out for 3 weeks with his knee. Believed he played with the injury since his last England outing. Was on the bench as it was expected that he would come on for the last few minutes to say goodbye to the Süd and be part of the party. All went wrong. Just left the ground with his family and the local press are reporting they expect the announcement of his move to Madrid within 14 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

So, injured in Engerland duty you say?

I didn't know that he had signed for Liverpool already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It seems to be the formula for most players after leaving Liverpool, some exceptions but I'd say easily 75% of players that leave don't always find greener grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,495 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ready to raise the roof...

Salah signed on the condition we'd be competitive, and then we signed no one in midfield, so I can see why '' there is no excuse''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’d guess he’s also being a bit self critical after his two big, and very costly, penalty misses against Bournemouth and Arsenal at a key part of the season.

In fairness to Konate, it wasn't his fault that he got taken out of it by an idiotic challenge in the final pre-season friendly. That knee injury kept him out of the team until October. In January, he suffered a hamstring injury which kept him out for 4 weeks.

On the subject of hamstring injuries, there seemed to be an excessive amount of them in the squad this season. In total, 9 players missed 70 games while recovering. I think the timing of the injuries may be significant. There was a cluster of 5 in a 6 week period beginning in pre-season and extending through the first 4 weeks of the season. The second group of injuries occurred in the 8 week period after the World Cup.

Van Dijk : 1 Jan, 7 games
    Konate : 30 Jan, 5 games
    Gomez : 21 Feb, 5 games
    Thiago : 6 Aug, 6 games
    Henderson : 31 Aug, 4 games
    Keita : 1 Aug, 18 games
    Milner : 22 Dec, 6 games
    Oxlade-Chamberlain : 16 Jul, 14 games
    Jota : 1 Aug, 5 games

By comparison, there were 3 hamstring injuries in the squad during the 2021/22 season.

Kelliher starts in goal today

• Advertisement

Serious piece of engineering being able to get away with not closing the stand during the season.

It's the same process as used for the main stand. It looks gigantic in real life.

So glad we stayed at Anfield. Nothing like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What's the point in playing Firmino or Milner, surly it's a game were you look at Carvalho and Elliott or other young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

Is the Southampton match on anywhere?

Just a bit of respect and sentiment for two lads who gave the club a lot.

I get your point, but the young lads will be looked at plenty in preseason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What was that!!!!! I'll take it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

1-0, Jota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That was like the Liverpool defence for most of the season for the Jota goal

Sī sēnor, give the ball to Bobby and he'll score.

One for Bobby now too... beautiful for him to get one in his last game.

Bobby makes it 2

1-2

Poor defending there.

2-2

Went 2-0 up, switched off completely, 2-2 now.

Oof, bad enough from Kelleher there, Alisson would've snaffled that up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement