Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trubridy’s Final Late Late Show EVAH! Special Thread 26th May

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

But Kielty is a completely different persona, he is an actual celebrity himself so they will have to get guests that can actually deal with Kielty. even if they had someone like Stephanie Preissner on if really scraping the barrel, she would be out of her comfort zone talking about babies to Kielty, whereas Tubridy was like the boy next door. Kielty won't be intimidated by the celeb guests and some of the z listers and gaa clones would be out of their comfort zones with Kielty so the conversation would not go down the predictable and safe avenues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Jeff2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I’ve read this post three times and I still don’t have a clue what you’re trying to say with those “comfort zone” remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

let this post not get lost in the midst of this quality thread ☺️👉️👍️👈️

props to that poster ! was it you, perchance?? 😁

as predictions go, that one were bang on t'money 🙌

whoever it was deserves shootout, imho 🤗

great thread this too - wasn't sullied either by mods or trollerage 😂

wonder is that Vespa electric - not much addition if it is - as doubt Ryan be tootin' around on it if he has to bring it regular to filling station😆. could be wrong, but I reckon he takes the money for it instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Good riddance to a dull host

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭deezell

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

I don't think anyone ever climaxed watching Tub's LLS. Now Gaybo's LLS on the other hand, remember the Dr. Sex tutorial video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I assume - like most of his show - it was either a shambles, a complete bore, or a close your eyes and hope it stops type show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭thejuggler

RT seemed really nervous during the show constantly fumbling with the button on his suit jacket. Maybe should have stuck with the toy show jumper instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Very poor show. Nobody of note. Of course the troop of rte talent that might be expected to pop in to a show like this were probably all banned by NK management seeing as the new host wasn't picked from one of his membership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Kielty should ban all charity appeals for a start,the late late turned into a Joe Duffy moan fest lately, there’s more to Ireland than dying people and unfortunate youngs wans .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭HBC08

This is the quandary.

Tubridys failings are well covered in these threads and I wholeheartedly agree with all of them,he's simply terrible on so many levels.

I stopped watching the show a few years ago but would read the thread, catch the odd bit of a show and watch the toy show.

When I saw Saoirse Ruane last night describe her recent bad news as " a bump in the road" I started crying.A kid who has been dealt such a sh1t hand in life gushing and smiling about her trip to Disney and so delighted to be on the Late late again.

If you're cynical about that then you don't have a heart, therein lies the problem. At what point do you separate the story from the emotional manipulation? The same gravity is given to an canteen celebrity's sick aunt or Michael Ds dead dog.

Its all very weird and thankfully behind us now.Keilty will be a great host in my opinion, the fact that RTE got him by default further shows their ineptitude but I don't see that changing any time soon.

Best of luck to Patrick Kielty,I think we might get a light entertainment show on fri nights,I'd be happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe he should start asking politicians why essential services are dependent on charity appeals?

That'd be a job for the disco queens on primetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Field east

RT tried to get Ml D to comment , I think, three times on the Inch situation and the burning of the tents in Dublin. Ml D skirted it on all occasions. It stuck out like a sore thumb . I was very surprised because all the points for discussion are agreed beforehand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭valoren

The first five/ten minutes of the show summed it all up. The Tubridy interview with Michael D. You'd think with such advance notice he might have actually attended the show. The actual live audience were left waiting in the studio as the pre-recorded interview is shown and of all things, during what should have a celebratory vibe, they talk about the Famine.

I think even in his last show he still had the ability to make you feel like he was still getting the hang of it all whereas with Kielty he'll be a few weeks in and the feeling will be as if he's at such ease with it that you'd think he has been doing it for years.

• I remember years ago a foreign person from some other EU country remarking how remarkably charitable Irish people are, and how great that was, comparing it to their own country where they remarked that their government was required to provide those services as the people wouldn’t likely volunteer to pay for them straight out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭squonk

Didn’t watch but I’m worried for PK now. RT’s last show so you’d think the boat would be pushed out a bit. Nah. Recorded interview with Miggledee and a recorded “hullo” from Macca. I thought I’d be a victory lap with a few regulars on for the ‘craic’ and a surprise or two, but they talked about the famine? At this rate PK’s tenure could be a one liner on his cv because the job was so shît he just about wants to say he worked there to fill out the timeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Fcuk... I thought it was the final late late ever and ive just realised they are hiring another presenter 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SimpleDimple

It sounds like that person came from a country where the government actually funded these services properly so and the public didn’t have to rely on the charity of others to foot the bill

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

LOL,, you don't get away that easy from RTE's clutching at straws! I suppose fair dues to Tubridy for milking the system for so many years and getting away with it. Off ye toddle now and give up the radio as well, the stage awaits with the Real Toyman Show.

It's telling that Claire Byrne turned it down - she could see the obvious headlines ahead 'It all started on the LLS with a Byrne and it all ended on the LLS with a Byrne' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trondheim

In many ways it is the appropriate final show for Tubridy's run. Big nod to the toy-show which was the one area where he was successful.

Loads of misery p0rn, which he loves, and presumably some of his viewers must also go for it.

Almost no celebrity guests, and those that were came in by video. Which really reflects the current reality. Who is going to travel to Ireland on a Friday night to do a show with an audience of a few hundred thousand? Even Graham Norton, in London, records his show on a midweek afternoon.

And money issues. They still ran the competition. You would think RTE could have freed him from the need to run the comp on the last show. Clearly no money invested in the last show. RTE seem to view it as a money-making task, and everything else is secondary to that for the LLS. So need to make money (long duration to get lots of advertising, run the competition etc.), and spend as little as possible.

For PK, hopefully they will give him some freedom in the format, guests etc. He will need to have that agreed before signing the contract, as that is his time of maximum leverage. Everything should be on the table. Does it need to be live, does it need to be 2.5 hours, etc. etc. Does it always need to be filmed in Ireland - could they do a show from London, a show from Berlin, a show from Paris? At the moment, the format seems like a straight-jacket. It is immovable, and everything has to fit around it. The format didn't come from the sky on tablets of stone. It was developed by Gay Byrne back in the day and matched the society of the time, but if the a new show was being designed now, they wouldn't have it like the current LLS.

He will also need them to invest a bit of money in it. You can see with DWTS that if RTE invest a bit of money, they get the rewards in terms of viewership, but they always seem so reluctant to invest. Fingers crossed for PK.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the nonsense about Kielty being out of touch because he is in UK the rest of the week, but there is a risk that he will have less influence over the show because the crew are in Montrose working through plans all week and he is over in London. It is harder to have influence (over RTE management, over the production team) via zoom than in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

well obviously stephanie preissner et al want to talk about their pet subjects, the last time she was talking mostly about her baby, Tubridy let her indulge in that for most of the slot so she is in her comfort zone, Kielty being a comedian might crack a joke and pull it out of that so she is out of her comfort zone into another area where she might say something silly or controversial because she wasn't expecting the conversation to go there. Thats what Gay Byrne used to do, Padraig Flynn never expected to be talking about his 3 houses and 2 housekeepers that famous night but Gay brought the conversation there. Therefore there will be more at risk for the z listers because Kielty is smart and experienced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Not sure if @NIMAN was referring to my post from the radio thread. Maybe it was predicted by a few people - Tubridy already has a Vespa and he's often seen scooting around Dalkey (nice day for it today, as luck would have it!)

He didn't seem too excited about it though - maybe he was expecting a more expensive model or wanted the lads to fly home to give it to him in person 😝

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058149307/rte-radio-1-the-ryan-tubridy-show#latest

• Michael D should have talked about television & LLS in Ireland, how it shaped change and progression in face of some opposition from state, how under DG Tom Hardiman it became an independent station and formed part of the progression of our democracy. Recollection of sone uplifting moments. Ryan being part of that, Kielty to carry it forward. That would have been relevant and appropriate for the show. In studio of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,363 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think Michael D because of his position can't be critical of the government, so is going to avoid getting drawn into comment on incidents by a small minority, he did say it was shocking or something but quickly brought it back to talking about the irish people in general

Hopefully there will be more of an edge to the show, with the new host

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There seems to be some sort of conspiracy at play here re: the reviews of last nights show.

I have heard a few good ones now. On the start of the BOC radio show, apparently The Examiner said it was an all singing, all dancing finale.

Now unless they have a different definition to me to what that term means, it was miles away from all singing and all dancing. It was generally a bore fest. Few could deny that. Talking about the famine, catching up with sick kids, chatting to a terminally ill man, chatting to a comedian about his depression. All singing and all dancing? Come on now. Either these pieces were written before the show even started, or else NKM wrote them. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter.

And as for Ryan saying during the week he wanted it to be a celebration of all things irish. This had to be done as he obviously knew the makeup of the show. You honestly think if Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, Sam Smith etc wanted to turn up, they'd have been told "naw you're alright, we are celebrating irishness"? Come on now. They couldn't even get irish stars to show up ffs. No Colin Farrell, brendan gleeson, dermot Kennedy, christy Moore to name but a few. Just the usual suspects who are never off.

It was a sh1tshow, let's be honest but in the keeping of Tubs style, I.e. misery and more misery. It was real life David Brent. Throw a big party expecting all your 'mates' to come, but none of them do, cos they don't really like you and couldn't be bothered to make the effort. I have no doubt the production crew made efforts to try to get a better guest list, but it was probably like trying to push water uphill, such is the man's attraction. That's why it ended up full of people who weren't going to say no.

Advertisement