Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

They thought that if they compete front and the ball goes to the back, its almost a guarunteed maul try?

Watching the munster/leinster game and the la rochelle game again last night (jumping between stoppages makes it alot quicker) and i thought Deegan could have been very useful in the second game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

While the season ended disappointingly, I think Leinster play great rugby with a nucleus of homegrown players. I'd rather lose with these lads than win with mercenaries.

We were let down by poor management in my opinion. Despite thinking that resting frontliners was the correct decision at the time, I now think it was a mistake.

Onwards to next season. Can't wait for it.

Yeah, I get it, but when they get in that position it's damn near a guaranteed maul try anyway.

I think you've a better chance by flinging someone up at the front and putting pressure on their execution that just staying down and trying to resist it.

Particularly at the end when they just kept continually went to Skelton at 2.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea, if you can't stop a maul legally then your best bet is to roll the dice and try stop the maul forming at all. Even if you don't turn it over, if they get dirty ball you can at least try get at them.

Leinster gave up so much easy ball in the second half it was odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

There's still a place for mercenaries. Ngatai should probably have been on sooner, a player with his experience and nous...

I wonder will Ngatai play 13 during the RWC. If Osborne doesn't make the Ireland squad I think I'd like to see him get a run at 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just musing on Leinster over the last 5 seasons. We've consistently been one of the top two sides in Europe, but have lost 3 finals in that time.

In each tournament we've played brilliant rugby up to that final only to become undone after our opponents picked out a fatal flaw and exploited it. Against Saracens it was their power and a few mistakes from McGrath and Ringrose which did us in. Last season La Rochelle attacked our lineout and robbed us of our set piece attacking platform. Last weekend La Rochelle robbed us of our platform again, but in a different way. They played keep ball, didn't kick for touch and didn't allow us any opportunity to launch set piece attacks.

Going into each final we thought we had our tactics settled and tailored to fight the opposition's strengths. Only for them to have found a hole we didn't anticipate. Then we came under pressure and couldn't adapt. I think that speaks poorly of our coaching set up. They've created a brilliant attacking structure, but failed to account for, or couldn't see, where the problems in the system lay.

Where the system was exploited the players couldn't adapt. That's on playing and coaching staff. We've seen with Ireland that you can adapt even when the tactics have been disrupted or players injured. They didn't lose their cool or start making errors. Closest to that happening was against England, bug they regained their nerve. Sometimes I wonder was there something wrong with the coaching environment or culture at Leinster over the last few seasons.

I agree, but I don't know if there is something wrong necessarily, as in something negative happening. I do think it's difficult for there not to be a level of complacency creeping into the coaching sometimes, and a real absence of games where there is any semblance of jeopardy. The reality of if is we really only played about three or four close games all season (Stormers drawn game with a weakened selection was a back and forth game).

Hindsight is always 20/20, but there were plenty of poor enough URC performances this year that still looked like handsome wins on the scoreboard, but where we just weren't ruthless enough to kill teams off for large chunks of the games.

I was meh at best on the Nienaber appointment when first announced, but now I think it looks hugely valuable to have an experienced voice coming in who will bring a totally different philosophy on rugby. A guy who's whole career and the teams he's been involved with have predominantly been the anti-Leinster of the past two seasons: ruthlessly pragmatic.

He's also a guy who's spent the last few years coaching the world champions, so I don't think he'll have any qualms about coming into the Leinster dressing room and laying down challenges to well established guys.

Hopefully he brings an edge to things and a more ruthless focus on winning.

Things are definitely going to change at Leinster next season. I've seen some analysts and pundits say that if Leinster keep the best bits of Lancaster's reign and marry them with Nienaber's strengths, Leinster will be hard to beat. But I don't see it that way. We're going to see big changes. The biggest will probably be a negative one, at least at the beginning. We probably won't see as many cohesive performances when rotating younger players of second stringers.

Lancaster's best trait as a coach was upskilling his players so that they all knew their roles and how they fit into the side. It's remarkable that Leinster used so many players last season, but you could always see the same attacking structure no matter what side they fielded. We'll probably lose some of that with Lancaster's departure. We'll lose some games and play poorly when we rotate out players. The sky will fall and the world will end etc.

What I hope we'll gain however, is a harder edge in defence. We've generally an excellent defence, but I think the best sides were finally starting to get to grips with it near the.ens of Lancaster's tenure. Toulouse, Munster and La Rochelle all created plenty of line breaks and opportunities to score against us. They usually didn't convert due to excellent Leinster scramble defence. But if you keep putting yourself under pressure, like we did against La Rochelle, we'll eventually crack. I also hope we place more emphasis on how we defend the set piece. Right now we're just looking to survive them. We should be look g ho.attavk and disrupt.

It's not how you start the season, but how you finish it. Leinster have learned that the hard way in recent years. I'll take a lack of cohesion on certain games if it means better performances in the biggest ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Leinster have a few imports, would be nice if they were as good as the previous ones.

I'm not sure about what will change and I doubt there's going to be massive tweaks. One thing that I hope to see is a better performance at rucks. A Sean O'Brien would make things easier but, we should commit more bodies.

There's plenty to look forward to. So many lads plated well all season and maybe they'll put pressure on the incumbents. I hope to see Soroka get his chance and hopefully he develops. More of Prendergast and Boyle, if he stays. The international lads have a full schedule with the world cup and the 6nations soon after. There's plenty of scope for secondary players to make a statement.

JN will improve some areas. I just hope the attacking structures remain. I'm hoping that JN can bring in more of an in your face type play. Meaning less kicking the ball away and more carries in the fringes. Kicking is well and good if it works all the time. When it's not effective we end up defending relentlessly. I think post Sexton there will be some degree of slippage in Leinster play. It's how the coaching staff counters this, that's important.

• Advertisement

How will there not be big change?

No more "Stuesdays" training sessions - unless Goodman and Cullen attempt to ape Lancaster and run the same high intensity "comfortable in chaos" sessions with three teams of players swapping in and out.

Those sessions were what conditioned all the squad members to be able to drop into the matchday XXIII and not look out of place.

Realistically with Lancaster gone I think we have to expect a drop in the levels of performance from the second stringers. But hopefully that will be made up for with a greater ability to navigate a way to victory in games that are in the balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,580 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Part of the problem with playing system rugby, where every position has a defined role and players adapt to that role depending on where they are selected, is that it doesn't cope well at the end of the season when you've been executing the same gameplan for a full season or more, the other team just needs to find your weakness and unravel that gameplan

The other problem with system rugby, is that when your gameplan isn't working, the players can't adapt in real time. (Very few rugby teams have a plan b, but selecting different players can allow them to play differently)

When the squad is composed of extremely talented players they can overcome having the gameplan worked out by the brute force of having quality individuals who can create moments of magic.

But in the final stages of knockout rugby, that gap in quality is way smaller and those teams have all of the data they need to neutralise the gameplan.

And then there is the rock paper scissors aspect, where some teams system happen to be a really bad matchup for your system. La Rochelle play KBA. Keep the ball alive. This denies Leinster the set pieces you launch so many of your attacks from.

So La Rochelle playing their own game to the best of their ability nullifies Leinsters strengths.

In the start of last week's game, when building the 17 point lead, Leinsters speed and intensity forced errors from LaR. The errors were tactical, kicking the ball to touch under pressure, crucially, giving Leinster the set pieces they wanted.

After the 20th minute, Leinsters intensity burned itself out and LaR were able to play their gameplan that denies Leinster set pieces, and the broken play in LaRs half of the pitch that Leinster use to score tries

I expect some drop in levels. But, I expect levels to change with Sexton retiring. It's been a great ride with Sexton and Stu.

How much will our performance change will be interesting.

The unable to adapt part is frustrating. It really does boggle the mind that these lads can't try something else when the system crashes the bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

At least youve stopped saying s*** the bed. A lot of teams are the same. its to be expected when you spend so much time working on getting your systems and structures right and having some contingencies.

I just find it hard to think that one strategy is sewn into the team and there's no variation of when things go south.

The schedule should be interesting. The world cup going on as the season starts. It could start off ugly. Connacht had the direst start to this campaign and the schedule got easier after Xmass.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sexton's been de facto retired for a year. His 250 minutes played this year were immaterial so we shouldn't expect a drop off now he's officially gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

Yeah, Sexton has just three starts and two substitute appearances this year with just twenty minutes of Champions Cup action.

I'm sure he was a presence at the training ground, but he has been largely immaterial on the pitch for Leinster this year, and this is already the era of the Byrne Supremacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Just hope we don't see a regression in basic skills, like when Schmidt left.

It's possible. The players have always said how great those Tuesday sessions for maintaining a high skill level. But Goodman appears to be a seriously good coach, so hopefully we see no dip in skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

The most predictable change with the new coach is that the defensive system changes. Other than that its hard to tell.

My absolute blind guess would be win more short term but possibly worse long term. Lancaster probably has a pretty rare skill when it comes to development and squad dynamics.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ala alatoa or Jenkins (or both) bought out and replaced by higher profile players. The irfu is part of coaching hires and its possible he has more scope to sign players at the start built in.

Again. It's how you finish the season. Munster were rubbish for large swathes of the season, lost about 10 games compared to Leinster's 3, but come out of it with a trophy.

This season has been monumentally botched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

It really shows you play your strongest team, Munster have done the last 6/7 games and are battle hardened. Leinster rotate and are soft as jelly.

When were Leinster soft as jelly? They defended brilliantly against La Rochelle. If wasn't that effort which lost them the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

No what lost the game is not playing enough tough matches. A tough match against Munster would have stood to them. I know damned if you do and dames if you don’t. With hindsight now, they weren’t mentally tough when the pressure came on and not able to play cup final rugby when needed. Look at the final few minutes and the mess up between JGP and Byrne for trying to even position for the attempt at a drop.

So Leinster finish the season as the second best team in the European Cup and the second or third best team in the URC. Virtually the same as last seaon. Pretty disappointing overall.

It's just as well there is coaching change. Asking the players for buy-in when there's mounting evidence what they're being asked to do isn't going to produce the end results they want would be a bad place to be.

It is very disappointing. 2 years in a row. Don't know what Leo was thinking with the bench v Munster.

I suppose a change is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Munster had the luxury of not having to rotate because they had multiple rest weeks at every turn.

The glee with which some people greet every setback is genuinely dispiriting.

Fans my hole.

Advertisement