Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trubridy’s Final Late Late Show EVAH! Special Thread 26th May

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

That was interesting alright even when Tubridy tried to link the migrant issue now to the famine , Michael D did not go there, he pulled the conversation out of that. We know he likes to court controversy ,for example by going against the government by not attending the ceremony in Armagh for the centenary of Northern Ireland.

That must show that the government is under severe pressure over the migration issue now and Michael D is steering well clear of it even though he would be coming at it from a left wing perspective, he baulked at linking it to the famine and did not take the bait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I dunno - I see where you’re coming from but I think it’s a bit harsh - had A listers all appeared either in person or remotely, we’d be criticising that too. I think Ryan just decided to do things his way and mostly place the ordinary people and the toy show kids at the heart of it- in fairness whether we liked it or not, that was essentially TLLS for the last number of years- misery slots, raising money for charity and toy shows without toys- it was a bore fest overall but it was his bore fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did you think it was all singing, all dancing? Why would any reputable journo write such lies?

I have no problem talking to all the kids, they generally make TLLS better when they are on. I understood that. But why have a chat to the President about the famine and homelessness? On a celebration show of all things. I'll tell you why, cos MDH rarely turns down an interview when he can get to waffle.

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭deezell

What does EVAH! In the thread title stand for btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I have to say I agree with everyone here is was the a forgettable last show maybe the toy show bit which may have been Tubrity idea.

Why oh why if he is so big so sick did they bring Charlie Bird in to the studio and have him standing there at the end. On video would have been good.

The best for celebrity they could do was a drunk Bono, a disinterested Edge and Paul McCartney reading from the prompter, Seoirse Ronan who I think they actually get on

As other have pointed out no one from RTE on is MK really that p*%%*d.

So did RTE not have the money or did they not give 1 flying f.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wasn’t it a question from an audience member that brought Flynn there?

• It was a bit odd that Pat Kenny didn’t make an appearance in one form or another, he being the previous host of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

From an insider. The programme TAMS had collapsed to an unacceptable level for any advertiser. Gone from 700k when he started to 350k now mainly elderly 65+. RTE wishes you well getting adverts on the BBC.

• So he was encouraged to leave the show. At the same time the production was equally at fault. I wonder if they will change the team.

Edit - I see the current production team gave hit the boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They’re not the ones doing the “sure aren’t we great raising de money for de sick kids for de charidee” schtik. That’s the LLS, that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

"It’s my guess that RTE will let Ryan depart in a blaze of glory and won’t announce his successor until after Ryan is gone."

They got that slightly wrong!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Here it is Ryan, a Vespa, now you can rev up and f**k off"

Scrap the cap!

"Gone from 700k when he started to 350k now mainly elderly 65+"

...Who spend SFA on what's in the ads!👴👵.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Last night’s show as an ego tripping self-indulgent borefest.

• NK must be absolutely fuming, champagne gone back into the cellar.

Headline in the Sun online,

"RTE star Ryan Tubridy pays tribute to Vicky Phelan as her sister gives family update on Late Late Show"

For his retirement party? Was this one of his career highlights? His big achievement?

We buried three family members in quick succession in recent years. If someone asked me for an 'update', what do you say? "Em, they're all still dead afaik". Tubridy is a Fking morbid ghoul. Leave her family alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"We are all still devastated".

He has built a part of his persona off other people's illnesses, life obstacles and deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Im with you and yes I read something similar in the Irish Independent. All singing, all dancing. I thought, were we both watching the same program?

The kids were great and saved it to be honest, but a 20 minute dialogue with the president about the famine to kick start your farewell show is not exactly synonomous with all singing, all dancing.

I wonder did these journo's assume it would be like the Toy Show but slightly subdued, and so instead of watching it, they went out on the pull instead.

An RTE insider told us: “People hate change. Whoever gets the Late Late job is going to get a bad hiding for the first few months.

Total and utter bolllox- you couldn’t get a worse programme structure right now if you tried- there’s been dozens of people on boards crying out for “change” for the last 10 years - bring it on it couldn’t come fcking any sooner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

Dozens of people on boards lol

What about the hundreds of thousands of people that watch and enjoy the show?

When’s tubs was announced as presenter it was all bravado and the old days are gone and he was going to change it up and bring in the American influence, the same week Ian Dempsey said in the evening herald that tubs would be found out.

now if you look at his departure, they’re not focusing on success and the change he brought, over the last few seasons all they had left was being kind hearted and kids . Nothing wrong with either of course but it’s to take our eyes off failure

What about the millions who don’t?Commentators on boards are representative of a certain % of the population as are those on Twitter and other social media- the comments on all social media for years hasn’t been good on TLLS for many years now- it’s no laughing matter for the people in RTÉ who have to convince the advertisers to support the show- especially since the average viewers age is well into the 60s at this stage.

So less of the haw haw- the fact that anyone on boards watches TLLS is actually a bonus for RTÉ especially as viewership has taken a dive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

They don’t count.

Millions of people don’t like cricket , and they have zero effect on the sport.

Interesting view- can’t say I disagree either- don’t suppose there’s a link to that article at this stage? It would be fascinating to read it now it’s all over.

Great- you should head up the marketing folk for TLLS so- I reckon they could do with some positivity- even if it’s based on a decreasing aging viewership who are worth feic all to advertisers at prime time viewing slots - do you have any idea at all how money generating tv works?

• It’s all very easy to be kind hearted and lovely to other people’s kids who are subdued with the traumas of illness and isolation. It’s who stays the course and stands by through thick and thin, cancels other plans to be at the side of those in need, that’s what counts imo.

• Advertisement

Yes, we all know the person who turns up at your Family funeral, has the most to say, lets all and sundry know how 'devastated' they are, wants to be the chief mourner. They were barely acquainted with the deceased, but will act like they were bffs. Those types are rarer these days, but they exist. In my experience those actually closest just close down for a while, quietly coping, pass through the 5 stages of bereavement, re-emerge, and get on with it. A bit different as a person maybe, but not this 'faux traumatised' that tubs portrays. That's not empathy, that's attention seeking.

Advertisement