Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Lower Tier Hurling Championships 2023 (JM,CR,NR,LRM Cups)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I think some of the strong Carlow clubs play sometimes in the Kilkenny leagues although not sure exactly how this works. Problem is the lack of clubs. They have 3 or 4 very strong clubs and not more than 8 senior (could be wrong). Lack of numbers basically.

Carlow butchered that handy scoring chance. Should have tapped over keot the scoreboard moving. Poor decision making and worse execution.

Young Charlie Mitchell is the captain of the Offaly U20's and playing today. The seniors could do with superstar Adam Screeney today too.

Carlow will be disappointed not to hold on with an extra man for 40 minutes. Some silly wides kept Offaly in the game and now it goes to extra time. Offaly big favs now. Bit of a dust up going down the tunnel by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

Carlow tired, even though had 15, I think they're the older side. Carlow sub should have turned in on his left. Hit badly off his right on the sideline.

That Uibh Fhaillí chat wrecks my head.

• Advertisement

In fairness Liam moving Ben Conneely onto Boland was a fairly obvious move.

Yes that Uibh Fhailli chant together with pointed hands is awful.

Little bit of tradition, or lack of it, with Carlow and getting over the line.

Offaly goalie, while seems a good goalie, has a lack of conditioning you wouldn't see at a higher level.

Carlow worryingly tired and fumbly looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Great entertainment from both teams!

Tired legs all over the place but fellas giving their all. Great to see

• Advertisement

The standard is a bit off the top tier but you could see Offaly improving with their star studded U20s joining the seniors next few years.

Great value for money for those at Croke Park and a nice evenings live entertainment on free to air tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Some game there. Great stuff from carlow and hard luck to offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Very entertaining game..Best team probably won in the end.

Very gutsy of Carlow to win that. Thought they'd blown it in normal time. Carlow go onto to play Leinster 3rd team possibly Dublin. Offaly now have to face possibly Limerick or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fair play to both sets - I was knackered just watching. Thought Offaly panel strength would pull away. But Carlow didn’t fold.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

“Follow me up to Carlow” ringing out in Croke Park - fair play to them, doesn’t happen too often

If Kilkenny beat Wexford tomorrow and Antrim beat Westmeath the Leinster championship next year will have Kilkenny, Galway, Dublin, Westmeath, Antrim and Carlow while Wexford wont find it easy coming back up against the likes of Offaly and Laois. The Joe McDonagh is a great competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Wexford would come straight back up. there's a huge gulf in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's gonna be a tough Joe regardless of whether Antrim or Wexford go down.

Wexford need to learn the lesson of this season quickly and not think they are "straight back up" of god will intervene like Offaly thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Delighted to see Carlow prevail, I think Offaly and Johnny Kelly were being a bit smart resting so many players and I think it came back to bite them tonight.

Hopefully Carlow can be competitive next year they seem to be doing very little underage though so I can't see them staying there long.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Entirely agree. I'd say the Laois players are smiling at Offaly losing.

If they repeated what they did against Westmeath they wouldn't. They're a bit of a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Great to see all the youngsters in the stands in Carlow jerseys, celebrating. Who knows what kind of fuse might be lit for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

in 2009 clare beat wexford in a relegation match to avoid the 2nd tier at the time , a task force steped in to avoid any team get relegated that year, it would be an insult to hurling and all the other counties in the joe mcdonagh if wexford are relegated tomorow and someone tries to stop it from happening

carlow are liam mccarthy on merit the work they have done in hurling over the last 15 or 20 years is incredible , they were a division 3B team back then they have had a club in the all Ireland final they are now becoming a proper hurling county , its great to see what they have done in the last 10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

dont agree , offaly have a fine team coming through , laois are a deaccent manager away from going back up , they have a strong hurling spine in the county everyone expected offaly to bounce back up and they ended up getting relegated again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I have good time for Carlow too. They have the look of a county who actually have their sht together at boards level and are getting the best out of a very small county.

Even the stadium looks that bit better than some of the kips around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭cms88

Same with Cork's 2010 and Kerry last year. Lot of plads had played and won Junior All-Irelands. There would have been quite a few lads who would have played Intermediate hurling who went on to have senior success.

Advertisement