Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

Impossible to predict if and when it will happen but I suspect a sharp turn to the right could happen fast. If it happens in Germany then I think most of the rest of Europe will row in behind that straight away. I would not rule it out because of Germanys history as they could name it and package it in a different way. An economic crisis in Germany could trigger it. Ireland of course would be appalled at first but would quickly align as being subservient is in our DNA.

unless that disturbing scenario happens then it’s permanent large scale influx of migrants, our politicians have already made that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Some Ukrainians and other nationalities have gone ahead on Irish on council social housing lists, I know one Irish lady who was told by even her local TD that priority had to be given elsewhere than her, I would tell her now take it further maybe to EU Human Rights court

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I agree with all you say to start but then you go down the route of saying vote far right!

Of course SinnFein or Labour will moderate their stance as will the other parties if they see popular opinion against them.

But voting far right causes more damage than sllowing this situation to develop.

What other policies would they bring?

Anti Abortion, anti same sex marriage anti eqquality, anti gay, even anti contraception?

Anti every freedom, so you swap one ptoblem for many mote.

I have lived under that sort of archaic regime when the Church ruled even over the government of the day.in the 70s and 80s.

It was a horrible country and a horrible way to exist.

Its not an option.

Anyone proposing far right now is either very young and needs to read a bit of history, or one of those themselves.

Even proposing it in jest or in debate does nothing except fuel the propaganda.

So on this note Blueskydreams, I am out. 😐

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Personally I think about 10 far right TDs would be enough for the establishment to realise that a majority of the electorate do not support a Liberal refugee scheme. Again I emphasis that I exclude Ukrainians from this.

I would not fear a reversal of abortion or same sex marriage laws because it's very unlikely that a referendum to prohibit abortion would pass. Same with same sex marriage.

Unless politicians think they will lose seats the same chaotic policy will continue.

I personally would not support a far right party as I think housing is more important but I would not condemn anyone voting for one at this juncture. Particularly if the establishment won't listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Because we are all Europeans. If Russia wins in Ukraine they would push into former parts of the USSR.

Then we would be heading back towards a cold war.

Ukraine is a European democracy and we should support it.

Once the war ends we can evaluate what to do then. They can if needed be sent home

Interesting choice of countries there . Makes me question where you yourself are posting / coming from..

But that is the point . Is that the case or is it that this thread and other social media is making us think that ?

If the majority of Irish people were feeling this way where are the marches to the Dáil ?

All we are seeing is our own bubble here and a few protests at refugee centres .

People don't need the main parties to mobilise when they feel strongly about something . We have shown that time and again .

Having said that I would be loathe to go on a march that had anything to do with some of the far right nutjobs , as I think would a lot of people with centrist or left of centre views .

I don't completely disagree but can we just give them a scare instead ?

There is no going back once those fxckers get in as we have seen in Italy and Sweden .

It's a slow creep and normalises what should not be normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They haven't in fact. They passed legislation a couple of years ago saying they would become much more robust on asylum seekers and start deporting them but they don't appear to have deported anyone (and are still accepting refugees). There has already been a change of government since then.

It seems to have been mostly hot air and populist stuff with them, a la our Brexit friends in the UK, not a serious immigration policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So only Europeans should be allowed into Ireland if they are victims of war?

Do you think that all Europeans are alike somehow? Or what is it exactly that makes Europeans ok, but other nationalities not ok?

Have looked at social media about these protests recently , some make my skin crawl but others made me laugh .

There is a clip on Reddit about a guy with a delivery van telling the protestors who numbered about 5 blonde women with dry robes on and a couple of men with baseball caps, " can you not find a patch of grass to go drinking cans on ?". They called him all sorts and blocked his legal entry to the Industrial Estate, asking him what his business was !

Now I am all for peaceful protest but this is not that .

The comments beneath were hilarious .

I won't repeat but suffice to say they did not think these people need worry about what was happening to THEIR tax money , lol .

The same crowd were filming last night when the gardaí came in with two buses of asylum seekers AND OVERTURNED THEIR GAZEBO! Oh they were in tears, or so they said . Couldn't see their tear stained faces , as they had the camera on the police who appeared more civil than they had been to the man in the van . But they were wailing " What are you doing to us?"

Said they had built up a rapport with the gardaí and didn't expect that .

One wonders did they expect the gardaí to leave their gazebo blocking the roads and footpath ?

These were not locals btw .

Yes would be wary of some protesting alright .

As to the rest of the political establishment I remain to be convinced that there is a majority of the population feeling so strongly about this except for those posting , that it will rock them into changing radically .

Not yet anyway .

Lobby your local rep if you want change .

• Registered Users Posts: 86,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Now will the government listen or just brand everyone as far right racists

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd imagine the response will be on how to avoid polls like that being offered

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is a fundamental contradiction as the same poll says SF support is up.

People complaining about refugees supporting a party that is even more open borders than the current lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Open borders, allow everyone in?

The gas thing if ya actually think about what’s happening with fresh mind it’s absolutely insane 😂what is going on the world that migration is happening at this rate globally, the world needs to cop on. If there was a crack team of countries or nations that join together or unite to take serious action on the countries at source

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

I usually listen to Sunshine radio on Sunday morning, but I'm curious how or if Brendan O'Connor and Newstalk discuss this poll. I might switch the dial.

' I'm not saying the far right are perfect. .. '

Sorry you lost me there. 🙁

• Advertisement

We all know that's not going to happen. The vast majority of the 70 or 80k are not going home ever. Why would they? Way better benefits here.

And the Govt already making plans to enable them to stay as per IT last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yes, it’s pretty accepted now they won’t be going home any time soon. It’s going to be a lot more than 80k though once extended family arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭creeper1

This was the Danes experience of the Syrians. They would not return after it became safe to do so.

It was also sold as a temporary solution at the outset but in practice it wasn't.

As for the rest of the international protection applicants they won't go home ever since in many cases there was never even a war in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

As our neighbors they should definitely get first dibs. This is a war on western liberal democracy and cannot be lost. Also as people who share a similar culture they will integrate far easier into Irish society.

🙈🙉🙊

They are our European neighbours. They are our first priority. We don't have enough housing for them but to turn them away is to not support a neighbour

Until we elect a few far right TDs the main parties won't shift position.

I don't agree with protests outside refugees centres. I don't agree with violence.

It isn't racism to call for restrictions.

However until the mainstream parties change position then a far right candidate might be the only option

By Voting for them you are not saying you will support all their opinions.

It's not my top priority this issue at the moment but I fear we are creating a tinder box for the future.

You can bet a few Ind TDs will be calling for restrictions next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I’m old enough to remember when you didn’t need to be far right to place importance on a well managed border system, I’d settle for old fashioned centre right but we don’t even have that voting option, I don’t consider myself superior to other races , nor do I believe in a very strong central government which imposes itself on the people ( which far right governments do) , I’m not far right and don’t need to be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Northernlily

That Sunday Business Post poll is on the money. Common sense has been lost amongst the voices of the far left and far right.

3/4 saying we are taking in too many refugees.

Middle income/professional Ireland is saying enough is enough with this madness. It's utterly stupid and self capitulation. If there was a plan, it would be fine. There is not. Just enrichment of party donors and the connected.

We have a tiny population, the change will be felt much more than France or the UK. We seen the issues there in areas, we could have learned from it and put a sensible policy and plans in place.

The damage is done. Fine Gael - never again. **** clown show across every portfolio. No wonder the rats are abandoning ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Fine Gael don't do plans. We'll be the best behaved in the EU no matter what the electorate think. The problem is the EU don't have a plan either and we ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to the numbers.

FF and FG were enriching their donors long before this on direct provision despite "promising" to end it. Nothing new there. Don't get me started on the money made from FFG connections from putting prefabs in school for decades instead of building more capacity. Another scandal that never really got traction. Always follow the money.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement