Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC Final Match Thread - Stormers V Munster - Saturday May 27th 2023 17:30, TG4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The impact Casey, Healy, earls and Klendennen had got us over the line i think. Props came on and were solid, didnt give anything away

I was calling for casey to be on sooner cause at 60/65 mins both teams were wasted and it was like watching everyone running in quick sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

While all the attention is (rightly) on the D, and on the new attacking systems, the work Andi Kyriacou (and possibly also Rowntree himself?) has done with the scrum this year is a more unsung but phenomenal achievement. A front row of Loughman, Barron and Archer packed down 15-20 times against Kitsoff, Dweeba and Malherbe, over two games, and I count maybe 2 penalties and a free-kick conceded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great match, but never lost faith in Munster. For some reason I was never worried. Actually wondered if it would be repeat of two weeks ago and setting up a drop goal. With two kicker options on the field for Casey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

Was the second time Libbok slid in feet first, did the same earlier.

Coombes was knocked off his feet initially, it was the correct call and he should have dropped and presented.

Refs have a difficult enough job, there's always stuff that's going to be missed, complaining about them is reserved for sideline dads, he was fine.

Delighted for Munster and Rowntree, enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Rowntrees personality is a great fit for Munster....no bullshìt with him, well respected by all....

He put a really good coaching set up together and deserves huge credit for what he has done this season...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭phog

I can understand refs missing stuff in the heat of a game, a TMO missing a sliding tackle when a try is being scored is unforgivable.

They looked at whether the ball from POM was forward but missed a shoulder to his face.

Theses aren't just something of nothing, they're dangerous play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Full credit to Munster for closing the Stormers back three down. They had to live on scraps. I was also surprised how dynamic the Munster forwards were today. Not what I expected. Were I a Stormers fan, I might be asking questions about the coaching tonight. Too often they looked like talented individuals doing their own thing out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

That “pitch” should be dug up and fuckled into the sea now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I didn’t notice egregious after-try contact today but it’s something that should be subject to particular attention. There’s no justification for it. As in a ruck situation, players are particularly vulnerable.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Well done Munster, it's a pity Fekitoa is leaving as Munster as they were building a nice group of players.

What a season Munster considering the start they had, it'll be interesting If some players make into Andy Farrell's thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

As a Contact fan I really enjoyed having a more recent trophy win while it lasted, but still delighted to see Munster get over the line today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have to agree totally with your point on the scrum coaching and have to hand it to Rowntree he has put together a great group of coaches and fitness levels have also increased dramatically to see out games, Wig has being an ideal fit as head coach and speaks so well about the squad and can only see the team getting better, also great to see Keith lift the cup with Peter and when he came on his experience of holding the ball helped. The young players coming through the future looks bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭normanbond

A great final today, it had everything!

Munster are an unbelievable team, amazing how they are the sum of all their parts, playIng away from home in their last 6 games and delivering with heart and fire when it matters most!!

Easy to see why neutrals love them!!

Congratulations 👏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Wow, what a win! Amazing end to a topsy turvy season. Ref played a blinder I thought, the right call on Coombes.

A number of lads put their hands up but time will tell it Farrell thinks they work his system. Winning away from home like that for weeks on end is priceless, no fear.

Particularly happy for our record caps holder Archer, Earls, POM in particular. They've soldiered through some bad days.

Hodnett was sensational, if anyone deserves a call up it's him, he's a human dynamo.

One of the great days 😁

On Hodnett's try, you knew once you saw Daly on the wing and Hodnett inside him it was a try in the making, it was either Daly going in on the corner flag or Hodnett getting the pass and charging over for his try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

He’s with Munster and Ireland til the end of the World Cup, so if he doesn’t make the RWC squad he’ll surely get a contract extension to see out the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Was that the reason he went off? Missed the 1st half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

No, he flew into a ruck at a few minutes later and didn't get up from it. That resulted in the HIA.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Piardi with the 'let God sort it out' approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Though it was a knock on also, ball seemed to be retrieved before going forward. Ref was a couple of yards away and seemed fine with it

Post edited by webels on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Snyman's first pass looked fairly forward on replay too

The start of the homecoming

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tbm

Delighted for Munster. I think if Hayley hadn’t gotten that card he should have been player of the match. Thought he was excellent.

I (Leinster fan) was always supporting Munster yesterday. In the context of Irish rugby in a World Cup year it was a massive win.

Six Nations GS

URC

Losing ERC finalists

I can’t think of an international team that won’t fear Ireland. Having Munster winning trophies is massive for Irish rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Probably the biggest win for an Irish club team since Leinster won in Bilbao 5 years ago. Massive.

And what the last two weeks has shown us, we need more than one club performing. Leinster is very well represented on the Irish team for good reason but it is the addition of the likes of POM, Beirne, Murphy, Hansen who bring it up a level - all leaders and smart rugby players.

Advertisement