Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Their map suggests something on the Limerick side of the m7

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They seemed to be saying the land acquisition and grid connection were the most difficult steps, so they're probably talking about general areas at then moment

Since Ionity try to target service stations along major routes, my guess is they'll be on the outskirts of those cities

Just noticed a hub close to Dublin, looks to be around blanch or mulhuddart. Must be a good grid connection there with all the data centers 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Be funny if they chose to locate at a certain Applegreen at Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I was just thinking the same thing! I can't imagine where would be a good location though. Certainly somewhere near the M9/N24/N25 junction would make sense. However I reckon there would have to be a whole new service station built, since the only service stations there are small ones that were built long before the M9 or TF Meagher bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Theres a bit of potential there on the R448 with 2 older service sites (Emo & Inver Oil) - Emo site looks abandoned but the Inver site has potential, with the overhead power lines to get the juice in... And both sites not a massive detour away from the N24/M9 - M25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Hi folks,

Apologies if this thread / topic has been covered but I need a spot of help when it comes to charging my Ioniq 5 at the Ionity charging stations.

No matter what I do I can't seem to get the charging stations to work with my car. I've tried all manner of combination of actions, watched YouTube videos on how to do it, followed the steps on the apps, but I get errors about "Communication Problems.Make sure car is turned off, then retry" , or when I try to charge and pay using the QR code at the station it tells me I'm not authorised to do so.

Anyone else experienced this and if so how did you overcome it (assuming you did!)

I'm travelling long distance the weekend after next & need to be able to use the super speedy Ionity chargers, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

A powerless Rook

So one thing to be aware of is that the QR codes are on the wrong chargers in some Ionity sites

Try plugging the car in, then scanning your card or starting the charger from the app. Then go and hold the plug into the charging port unit the charger starts. Sometimes the weight of the cable causes the communication pins to disconnect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

I have never had much luck using the Ionity app, I have had no problems starting a charge with "Charge my Hyundai" or "Easygo"app

Your best bet is to get a RFID card from one of the providers, it eliminated a lot of the issues for me.

As regards speed, you will only get the maximum speed under certain conditions ie battery temperature above 20*and SOC below 30% I think.

The most I ever got out of an Ionity charger was 145kW and that was last summer when it was nice and warm. This time of year you will be lucky to get anywhere near that unless you have battery preconditioning which the newer I5 has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

What do you mean one of the providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kodzos

Is it all chargers or just Ionity chargers you are having the problem with. I've used Ionity from the App with no problem with my Ioniq 5. I find that with the DC chargers the handshake when you first plug in can be a bit dodgy so I always make sure that am at 90 degrees to the car when plugging in. The other thing was that my car stopped DC charging. A trip to the dealer and a software update later and it was working again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Seems to be just IONITY chargers for us, we tried 3 of 4 stations in Kill South today, and got the same issue with each one, but charged for 30 mins at an ESB 22kw charger no problem

Will try that 90 degree angle tip, and will also be bringing in in for a service shortly so will ask for a software update, thanks v much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

22kW is AC charging. Try another DC charger. The CCS plug. I have a recollection of some software DC charging issues for Ioniq5 but I could be wrong. Ask in Ioniq5 forum.

Ionity prefers not to deal with end users. They do but you could get better deals through the so called EMSP (e-mobility service provider). If your manufacturer is in the consortium they'll have some deals for you . Others are the generic plugsurfing chargerpoint+, Maingau but their prices are not great at the moment. I use elli from VW. They have some packages where if you pay a subscription and get better prices. i. e. 35c/kWh at Ionity. The good thing is that you can get an RFID at no cost and even if you don't subscribe you could start your charging without messing with apps qr codes and what not.

That’s what I do…. I’m such an infrequent user of Ionity, I don’t mind the ChargePoint rates….. I just like having the physical card there in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sign up to easygo and be sure to request a fob. Ensure there is money in your easygo account There are lots of apps and cards or fobs that can start ionity but they can be more expensive. Call the ionity helpline when at the charger if required and move charger as sometimes one or two can not be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

How busy are the Kill north chargers in the morning (8:30 - 9AM) will be passing there and will need a top up and not sure I need to account for delays in waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

Charging at Athlone M6 last night and chap next to me took nearly 10 mins to get his app or QR code working. RFID card FTW....

Yeah that would infuriate me….. time stopped should be time charging… and faffing about like that would be in my eyes lost time that the car should be taking on juice….

that’s why I love using the Superchargers so much…. Within 20 seconds of the car going into P the charge has already started!!

Is it Athlone where some of the QR codes are on the wrong chargers?

Yeah I gotta agree with you there, roll on plug & charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Athlone and City North both have the wrong numbers / stickers on the stalls.

Although, I recently signed up for Elli (RFID card for the win 😁) No more faffing with the Ionity App.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure it's all the sites have incorrect QR codes at this stage. Our only hope is Kill

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

Just to answer my own Q - arrived at Kill North at 9am all 4 chargers were empty. Was connected and charging in 30 seconds with the card I got from Volvo - 5 mins later all 4 stalls were full. Charged from 40 to 85% in 15 mins. This was the first time that I publicly charged - could not have gone better.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Last time I was at Kill an Audi was parked taking up 2 spaces with 3 cars waiting to charge. Was a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

You can check charge level of other cars using using charge finder app, I guess mildly useful during peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Akula

So what’s the cheapest / easiest way to use Ionity chargers as a Tesla driver without a subscription? EasyGO with a fob?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

The missus would be an occasional user of Ionity. She doesn't have a sub.

Just asked her what she does, she says it's easy enough she just scans the QR code with her phone at charge point she plans to use and the rest is very simple.

I’ve used Ionity a grand total of 3 times… and use the ChargePoint rfid card and it seemed easy enough… I like having an rfid card as opposed to an app…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Something with RFID should be the easiest. Elli charges 73c /kWh without subscription. I got the card free back in September last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

RFID FTW.

I charge my Tesla regularly with Ionity (DCI REV card) and wouldnt go more than fortnight without seeing peeps having issues connecting using apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Are there Ionity chargers near Dundrum? What equivalent options we have with 100+ kwh speeds in south side please.

Advertisement