Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭doyle55

Can you please explain how Putin's Russia can outproduce the West?

Really interested in how you came to this conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Laughable. This is Russian propaganda at its most blatent. The blog is a series of pseudo-intellectual nonsense articles praising Putin and the efforts of the Russian army. They're full of lies and bizarre predictions disconnected from reality. For instance here are some of his/her predictions from earlier this year:

• Russia is about to launch an offensive in the coming days that will take back the territory it has lost in Ukraine and bring its army all the way to Kiev.
    • The US have amassed troops in Romania and are about to stage a false flag operation in Odessa so that they can invade it.
    • Taking 'Artemovsk' will lead to a collapse in Ukraine morale, an immediate rout of its troops, and the fall of Kramatorsk and Slovyansk.
    • The Russian economy is currently ranked number 5 (!!!) in the most powerful economies in the world, but should actually be ranked higher, and above the US

You post this shite and you expect someone to debate it?

Are you the author of these articles? 

If you're not the author, then why not post the original article from the New Yorker rather than some putinbot's biased interpretation of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Crimea is not Russian. It was invaded and ethnically cleansed-

In 1783, the Russian Empire annexed Crimea after an earlier war with Turkey. Crimea's strategic position led to the 1854 Crimean War and many short lived regimes following the 1917 Russian Revolution. When the Bolsheviks secured Crimea, it became an autonomous soviet republic within Russia. During World War II, Crimea was downgraded to an oblast. In 1944, Crimean Tatars were ethnically cleansed and deported under the orders of Joseph Stalin, in what has been described as a cultural genocide. The USSR transferred Crimea to Ukraine on the 300th anniversary of the Pereyaslav Treaty in 1954.

Crimea - Wikipedia

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder where the people on here claiming lushashenko wasn't poisoned have gone 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I wonder what sort of a shallow life one lives that they constantly need petty little wins on an Internet forum to make themselves feel better?

Another question, who are these people on here? I have seem people discuss it alright and surely that is relevant considering the history of poisoning from Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

And without pay, either apparently. Now Putin is really touching on a raw nerve. Mobilization is one thing, but slave labour will hit everyone who is working, and that may well be a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Virgil°

As much as I'd love to see Luka hung from a lamppost beside Putin when this is all over, I've been hoping all along that he survives until that moment.

So far Putin has not managed to convince Lukashenko to roll his troops across the Northern Ukraine border. A newly planted puppet could disrupt that stability. Even if the Belarussian public don't have the stomach for invading Ukraine I'd really rather that hornet nest not kicked just yet. One fight at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Agreed. Especially when you witness it 1st hand. Ireland, through the UN, share a long history with the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

The Polish aren't just going to sit back and watch Belarus being annexed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Well yeah possibly. But that's exactly what I mean. We really don't want scenarios like that playing out. It's too unpredictable and could lead to god knows what. The best scenario is just to arm Ukraine to the teeth and let them kick Russia out as we know they're capable of it.

Getting Belarus and Poland involved in the conflict could be a prelude to a worldwide disaster and so far Lukashenko has kept that card off the table. Once Russia is put back in its box then I'm sure Luka wont be long for this world.

Take a trip to the DMZ. Then ask yourself, has it ended. Reading your comments, you're either very young, and up to now, have had little exposure to history, historical events or the Geo-political history of the world, or you've lived in a country where history lessons have been very much filtered and polarised. The planets greatest number of artillery in the history of warfare sits poised and ready North of the border during a tentative ceasefire in a war that absolutely has not ended.

Simply untrue. The second world war ended with surrender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

Ukraine will tell you to kiss their asses. 10 minutes to pack their bags, arranged one-way trains to ruSSia, 76% of ruSSian population in Crimea issue sorted. Besides, ruSSkies are well used to this method. Bon voyage!

Post edited by pcardin on

Context.

For example, Ukrainian hijackers didn't fly a plane into the Kremlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

nah, nothing will change. rember its ruSSkies, 'terpilas', they will just bend and accept as always. Its only on the internet where they are ready to fight anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The cost of one tank can fund hundreds of these.

• Advertisement

@Virgil° "As much as I'd love to see Luka hung from a lamppost beside Putin when this is all over"

I believe the traditional location for executing side-kicks is the petrol station...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Context ??? How many Iraqi's hijackers where there in 2001 ?

Saw Clare Daly again this morning. She says there must be dialogue. She does not seem to understand that if there is to be dialogue Putin must drop his preconditions. His precondition is that he keeps Donbas/Crimea. You can't have dialogue with someone who wants everything their own way. Why can't someone explain this to her? She is talking like some naive teenager. If she wants dialogue she should go to Russia and tell Putin to drop his preconditions instead of lecturing Ukrainians about talking to someone they cannot have meaningful dialogue with. Go to Moscow Clare and lecture them.

She also said "All wars end in negotiations" Wha? Like WW2 when the nazis were bombed into submission, or WW1 or so many other wars that ended in victory/defeat? She should read some history before speaking like some random Twitter person quoting random Twitter posts. Jesus wept.

CLARE DALY: EDUCATE YOURSELF, YOU ARE AN EMBARRASSMENT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Your Gooch? That's what the Chinese call it? See, Baba, this is what I was warning you about!!! You cannot be too careful where the Chinese are concerned.. ( especially when it comes to your Gooch )😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Probably true but then again a German general during WWII said that the Russians are unpredictable. They can take terrible punishment and abuse beyond the norm but some relatively small thing can bring about revolt or collapse. Cut in vodka rations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Whoa… :D Saw what you did there…nice reference.

If it went in that particular way, it might encourge Putin to take a one-way trip to a bunker shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

There probably is dialogue, for one thing. As has been pointed out, there are regular negotiations on things like the grain deal and prisoner swaps. This is obviously going into the semantics of the thing because she's presumably talking about negotiating towards some kind of ceasefire and/or lasting peace, but just to point out that the two sides do talk, just not about the biggest question of this or basically any war, while it is ongoing, which is how does it end.

Anyway, as I recall, Zelensky was asking for negotiations when the war begun, and they did commence in Turkey a short time after Russia officially invaded. I suspect as much as I think is possible, short of knowing, that the Russians only showed up to these in order to appear as reasonable as they could in the circumstances, which wasn't that reasonable at all, and they quickly broke down.

In fairness, Ukraine has given out mixed signals on Crimea, from wishing to bring it fully under Kyiv's control to being open to a conversation about it if and when Russia leaves the entirety of internationally-recognised Ukraine. According to the linked article, Zelensky also suggested in the past that he'd be open to diplomacy on the Crimea issue if Russia were to return to its positions predating the 2022 invasion. So, there have been slightly different noises coming out of Ukraine at various times from different officials about negotiation.

The trouble is, now, given Russia's actions in Ukraine by virtually levelling cities and openly massacring civilians, the hatred they've engendered among virtually the whole Ukraine population which remains outside Russian control (at the very least, that is) makes it extremely difficult if not impossible for reasoned negotiations to occur. Russia probably had its best shot at getting things like Ukrainian pledging not to join NATO and conversations about the Donbas/Crimea in the opening weeks when they showed the world how serious they were about these issues, but they thought they could get it all and weren't prepared to settle on that. Huge miscalculation for them. Putin's forces will find an awfully hard slog to make serious advances in Ukraine by military means, but Putin has put all of his political capital at stake in winning this war, so he cannot give up on it either. The way this is going is that until war becomes politically/economically unsustainable for one or both countries, or one country is simply victorious, it won't end. Too dug in, too much at stake.

@Rawr "Whoa… :D Saw what you did there…nice reference."

I suspect they are completely equal on the idiot scale. Not a hair's breadth of a difference.

True. But the situation as it stands now is that it is impossible to have negotiations with Putin. The net effect of Daly's argument is that the west stops supporting Ukraine and Ukraine effectively surrenders to Russia. If that happens 45 million Ukrainians are coming west because they will be slaughtered if they don't. If there cannot be talks there must be weapons. Lots of them. The situation is beyond peace talks unless Putin stops his demands.

The only other option is to cede territory to Russia and this, or complete surrender, is implicit in what she is saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

The line that Daly, Wallace and even Boyd Barratt seem to take on this is that the West has not been perfectly consistent on the matter of wars of aggression and should be so and then also what you point about their issues with the level of NATO support.

I do agree with their issues in a way, but before any of ye hit that quote button on me, I mean to say that I agree that the West has been inconsistent on its attitude towards those who waged illegal invasions and that not only should Putin be prosecuted, but George W. Bush and/or anyone in the U.S. administration who knowingly lied should be prosecuted for that invasion, and you can go down the line of conflicts with that. I don't agree with the idea that because one leader isn't prosecuted, no-one should be prosecuted. That's a product of someone whose mammy didn't tell them, "Two wrongs don't make a right".

And on the issue of NATO support, yes, I agree, but my issue, like yours, is not enough support to get this ended quickly rather than too much. No support does also end the war at some point but it fundamentally does not favour the people of Ukraine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement