Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Those noisy neighbours from accross the border are after bustin through them saloon doors six-guns drawn, they're lookin for a fight, blood on the streets in Killarney ✊🇱🇻

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Even though Tyrone are down to 14 I would take a 1 point win now and get out of this with a with. Messy game. Messy conditions. Ball a bar of soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Poor enough first half display. To have a 2 man advantage for 10mins, only score once and not extend your lead is pretty poor. We seem to go through the same process regardless of the situation or circumstances and its slow. We don't have the ability to go with pace and get those goal chances like kerry or mayo. We're defensively better than both of them but we'll be relying on out pointing everyone to go all the way and that's a big ask.

Thought that was shocking bad. I know conditions to be fair were tough but that was no excuse for what went on.

For all our defensive toughness how many times did we let Tyrone up the pitch to tap over a score without a hand been laid on them.

Forwards lived on scraps as once Tyrone were down to 14.

Shane Walsh much improved.

Gleeson was fantastic. Those two under pressure kickouts against the full press were excellent at the end along with handling under the high ball.

Sweeney good when he came on. Kelly plenty of energy, poor finishing. Cooke better than Tierney.

Intensity needs to go up quite a few notches.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

It was a good win, not pretty by any means but they fought hard and ground out the result.I thought Sweeney played very well when he came on, offered a different option and willing the run between the lines.The balance of the team doesnt seem right though, too many midfielders but correcting this will be difficult

• Advertisement

Sweeney was the one player who really took it to Tyrone. He ran at them numerous times before offloading to provide some our simplest and best scores. I wouldn't class it as a good win though. Pretty terrible performance and as I said earlier, we don't seem to be able to mix modes. Its the same laboured swtich and probe tactic over and over.

Sweeney going forward was fine but remember he was marking McCurry. I was surprised they replaced a man marker like Glynn with a free runner like Sweeney. From a defensive point of view Fitzgerald was a better choice. But with Tyrone down to 14 Sweeney was maybe an intelligent risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

@Happyilylost Agree with every word of that. Only thing il add is Paul Conroy is a giant. On wet scuttery days when nobody else seems to have a clue what they're doing he stands up again and again. When it boils down to it he's by far and away the leader of that team. Incredible performance yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Did Conroy score off left and right from distance in both halves? Feels like he did. Unbelievable, considering the slippery ball.

Gleeson was brilliant. First high ball was punched arseways across goal but he caught maybe 4 high balls clean in his hands, it was great consistency. I'll take a 3 point win.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Credit to Gleeson, he continues to get some stick and has preformed excellently so far in the championship, he was well tested in wet conditions with a lot of high balls. He looked very composed and there was little wrong with his kick outs. Time to give him a break. We are lucky to have power as a back up. Sweeney was excellent yesterday.

• Advertisement

Despite the scoreline very poor first half. If I was in the full forward line I would be asked to be taken off with the s***e going into them. Whelans second goal was more out of thickness than anything else.

On top of that Mannion pulling up with the same hamstring and Fintan Burke gone with a head injury.

No matter how it ends not a productive day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Winning a disgusting game of football like that against a quality side that are masters in generally getting away with the dark arts was not something Galway teams were proficient at for a long time. That gives me more optimism than if we beat Tyrone by 8 points on a mild day.

Hope Glynn isn't out for long. That could be a broken jaw easily enough which would be a disaster.

Hurlers did what was needed yesterday but Cathal Mannion looked to have pulled his hammy. Joseph Cooney might have had a knock too. Nice to see Monaghan finding his form again after his injury spell. Conor Cooney is a different player altogether without the pressure of taking frees. He has great confidence in himself which is mighty to see as he's carrying his excellent mullocking form at club level into intercounty. Like the look of young McLoughlin too, he recovered well from a quiet enough first half.

Next little step for Tuam next month.

Galway Gaa have released a new app. Only had a quick flick through it (fixtures/results/tables) and credit where its due its very user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Ya been using the last few months, it's great. Fair play to them.

Super news. Will capacity ever be big enough to get a championship match back there?

Hard to know. Delighted to see this piece of work done but does anyone else think 1500 seats is very unambitious? Maybe the idea was always for big club games and the odd league game but I don't see it doing any better than that. Similar to the Hyde I think there are issues with the number of stiles in and out and also those concreate steps close to the pitch are not permitted to be counted towards capacity.

Will tidy it up but don't think we'll see a Connacht Final there anytime soon.

Its a total waste of the money given if they're keeping any of the old stand. You'll end up with a complete mish mosh of a stadium. It should be leveled and the existing new seating extended into the place of the old stand. Cover as much as the funds will allow with scope to extend the roof as funds become available. Also look at widening the pitch and bringing it closer to the stand rather than having that pit behind the dugouts thats never used. It'll open up space on the far side for further development in future

They need to accept that championship ties are never coming back but they should strive to pick up at least 50% of football league games and maybe the odd hurling one too. Top it off with loads of club games from inside and outside the county. Thats what would serve the town best rather than hoping for a pie in the sky championship game once in 10yrs.

I don't think any of the fundraising/group behind the redevelopment have higher hopes than making Tuam stadium a bit nicer, at least from talking to a few of them myself in the last while. The seated terrace beside the stand is a nice improvement and I'm delighted that cowshed of a stand is going to be tidied up too. All that's really left then to tidy it up for Galway League games/football club matches is maybe to fix up some of the cracks in the terrace, and that wouldn't take a massive amount of labour.

It'd be absolute nonsense to move Galway hurling games there though. Surely we should be focusing on Kenny Park/Duggan Park that could really benefit from more crowds bar the odd Walsh Cup/County Final.

I think the sooner folks make their peace with Salthill being the senior intercounty ground of choice for the foreseeable, the better. Some of the biggest whingers on this front are folks that wouldn't go to a match if it was on in their own back garden anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Do we know if the new roof extends the full way across, from where the cowshed is now, over across the new seating to its left as you look at the pitch? If so it's basically a nice modern stand across one side of the field. It won't be holding championship games but it'll be great for the odd league game and a lot of club championship. Dare I say it but with the motorway access, it could be used for matches between specific clubs with easy road access for big hurling games also

• Advertisement

I don't see why holding the odd hurling game there is a nonsense. The game is growing and getting stronger in the north of the county and it would be nice to have the odd game played there. Its much easier to access for most of the southern clubs than Salthill is anyway.

Yeah actually 1500 is a bit unambitious. It's Galway so a roof would be needed over the whole ground in an ideal world.

Suppose they're cash strapped. No mention of the stand being expandable in future so I'd say this is it.

I thought DAFTS had a goal to bring championship matches back to Tuam or am I wrong?

If so a stand capacity of 1500 is the death knell for that plan

I'd have zero issue with Tuam holding more hurling matches if Kenny Park and Duggan Park didn't exist. Tuam would be simply taking the limited hurling that could bring the biggest crowds of the season for those two venues away from them. Kenny in particular is in a fantastic location but similar to Tuam it's very difficult to expand capacity there so it'd more a case of upgrading the existing facilities to be able to hold crowds. North Galway is more connected than ever with the M17.

C. Mannion and especially on form Concannon big losses (although he is named at 26)

With the way Dublin games have gone over the years I hope the lads turn up ready for battle (and limit frees anywhere within a 100 metres)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

If that team isn't good enough to beat dublin well, we have no business talking about all irelands

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Mental to think of the big Mayo/Galway games there in the 80's and 90's with 25k+ there. Used to love Tuam on match days, great buzz about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Unfortunately Pearse stadium doesn't have the same buzz as athenry or tuam

Typical pathetic display from the hurlers vs Dublin. Can't understand how we can lose to them consistently and still not get motivated to play them. Lethargic rubbish at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Wtf did they let Conor Cooney take pen for. He playing with zero confidence ...madness

• Advertisement

Advertisement