Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,580 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We did have that advantage. But also, all of the games we won in the last 3 months were away from home.

I think that's a record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's fantastic and nothing should be taken away from Munster. Beating the Stormers twice, Glasgow and Leinster on the road is massive, today being the cherry on top.

People using it as stick to beat Leinster when we were in a very different scenario is what I was objecting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

What glee are you exactly talking about here? No stick to beat here either.

The point is the point. Play your best team together get the best results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,580 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thanks FFF. It's been an epic season. I can't wait for next year. Munster have turned a corner. We'll be defending the URC title. I can't wait

Playing the same XV for five knockouts in five weeks, when none of your opponents have to do so, would get the best results. I'm going to call bullsh1t on that.

Saying they turned to jelly is absolutely bang out of order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

We will have to agree to disagree on that so.

I want them winning everything possible but the results in the last 2 years speak for themselves now unfortunately.

Still at a bit of a loss as to what happened in the 2nd half last weekend in particular. Everything Leinster did turned to shite. The outside backs not making a single pass must be some sort of record.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

I think Ringrose hasn’t made a pass in 2 finals now. Funny how you can perceive a player a certain way and stats don’t bear it out. At least against the very best opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

One can hope that next year will be better. The core group are in their prime and have a little bit left. We need the younger lads to grab the bit and start applying pressure on the international players.

Looking forward to seeing Milne and Tommy O' Brien making strides. With a bit of luck HB may finally put the injury curse behind him and get to another level. Joe McCarthy getting a solid run also would be ideal.

I think the squad is very good and there's a lot of talent throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,335 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It was a confidence issue. People tightened up all over the shop.

To my mind, two factors influence winning, confidence and momentum.

By selecting a weakened side against Munster we conceded momentum and by losing, in turn lost confidence in the squad.

It's not two squads, it's not the Ireland level players and the URC players, it's not the Champions Cup level XXIII versus the rest. It's one squad of 55 and winning affects them all and losing affects them all.

In my opinion, you play to win the next match, particularly at the business end of the season. We should've played our best available XV against Munster and beaten them.

And then we should have taken that momentum and played our best available XV against La Rochelle and died with our boots on. I feel the outcome may have been different.

I simply don't accept that our prime players cannot play three or four weeks in a row in April and May, injuries aside. And when injuries do occur, you have able replacements absolutely chomping at the bit.

The loss of momentum and of confidence was a choice and it's on our coaching team. I could forgive a dice roll once, but we just made the same mistake twice in two years and that's not easy to forgive. It was an insult to our players frankly.

PS, if Sexton did remonstrate with Jaco Peyper after the final last week and roar at him that he was an effing disgrace etc, as is being reported in the papers, then he should get a ban and he is massively fortunate if he does not.

I agree with this. Hindsight is 20:20 but resting everyone against Munster was a massive, massive error. And in fact it's not just hindsight because plenty of people called it at the time. I would very rarely be critical of the Leinster management but I think they got this wrong. Hopefully Nienaber can come in and have an impact, and the rest of the coaches learn from it.

I'm really not convinced it was anything that complicated.

There was never going to be much in that game. Three kicks out on the full and two sliced clearances left us under sustained pressure and our counter maul wasn't as effective. One point loss.

I would agree generally with the importance of momentum but we really didn't seem all that invested in the Munster game after the fact and we started very well against La Rochelle so I don't think there was a lack of confidence.

Our season was ultimately a failure because of 3 points in two matches, one of which we didn't seem overly bothered about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Things can change pretty quickly in sport. Even just having Ben Murphy, Ross Byrne and Garry Ringrose as the bench backs instead of McCarthy, Frawley and Turner, respectively (if memory serves) could well have been enough to send Munster back down the road with nothing... again. Instead Munster are back on track and it's Leinster left soul searching and wondering where they're headed.

A lot rests on Nienaber - and on how well Goodman can step up into a bigger role where he has nearly all responsibility for the attack.

Whatever the reason for the defeats it still stinks the same as last year and the year was a resounding failure. There's got to be a fault in the coaching strategy. Leo giving Nick McCarthy the bench against Munster is a terrible idea. There is to me, an overconfident aspect to the side. Stupid me! I thought it was the right thing to do. As someone mentioned, momentum was lost.

Regardless of the amount we lost by against La Rochelle, we didn't deserve to win. Had we won, it would have been farcical as we weren't at the races for the second half. We deserved to lose, imo. Having watched it back several times, I'm astounded by how we were so poor in clearing our zone and the lack of aggression at defensive line outs.

It will be a long summer. There's got to be some shift in strategy. Nothing major is needed but fielding sub par teams in semi finals is not the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I wish someone from the coaches could illuminate the reasoning for their poor use of the bench. McGrath and Frawley gathering splinters again

There's a stat in today's ST that in eight EPCR games, or 640 minutes, Leinster were behind for a grand total of 22 minutes.

We topped the league table at a canter and could have won the trophy if we'd really focused on it.

We were bulk suppliers to a GS winning team.

And we did it all without our captain and best player.

I find it very hard to square all this with phrases like "resounding failure".

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

Empty handed is a resounding failure. Means nothing to dominate up to when you have to win.

A mistake, imo. He won't offer much going forward. He's going to block the development of a player like Boyle.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's a resounding failure for EXACTLY the reasons you listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Your crusade against Healy continues and continues to be baffling.

He's still a top level prop.

Why does everything have to be one extreme or the other?

Can it not be a very good season with a disappointing finish?

Can we not acknowledge the shortcomings and errors in the last two games without setting fire to the previous 25?

A few years without trophies might be exactly what a few people need to get a bit of perspective back.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

• Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This isn't life, it's sport.

You get nothing for second place. You get nothing for taking part.

Leinster were favorites for both competitions all year, and played like that as well.

To come away with nothing in the end is a resounding failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Any idea how many new players made their debut for leinster this year?

Every other team playing in the competition would have taken losing in the final over going out in whatever round they went out in.

Yes - the team failed to reach it's goals / objectives - but they got as far to achieving them as is possible without actually sealing it.

Like you said - it's not life, it's sport - and in sport it only takes one slightly off day and people will tell you you're a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

And none of the Leinster players accepted having their runners up medals put around their neck. Which shows you what they thought of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

How close would "every other team" be to having 12 starters for the World's premiere Test team?

Would any other team even have 12 players who are first choice for any Tier 1 country?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement