Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's not merely a few cases of violence though. If you counted it all up its easily in the hundreds.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Look I have given up talking to you about housing because you sing the same song everytime.

Housing is an issue and has been an issue since wayy before we were taking refugees in in any numbers.

I know areas of the country with no refugees and still no houses.

But sure you have to blame someone don't you

Blame the right people! Our government!

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The State literally cannot stop accepting refugees from making new asylum claims. If a truck arrives in Rosslare tomorrow morning with 50 refugees in the back, what would you propose doing with them? It would be completely and utterly illegal to deport them back out of the country under international law (and deport them to where exactly?).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Agree with you on Rabbitte, barely got in last time and will probably retire on her big pension now that she has her 2 terms done and dusted.

• Advertisement

No offence but people need to wise up here to what is going on. Gov never said they were not going to place those people there and the same people blocking, were there 24/7.

Who does that? They are not community people in Santry filming and camping out and blocking people going about their business. These people were imported activists and yes from far right groups.

And yes I know this for a fact.

No it is not wrong for people to ask for more imigration control.

But we have to try to get our own politicians to deal with things and not elect people who will make a bad situation ten times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You know it was the people in Inch I was asking you about but you decided to bring up what happened in corofin.

Oh and just to be clear I have no problem condemning any violence nobody should be assaulted no matter what side they are on on this issue.

Again @treemasteryou have been paying attention to my posts.! I discussed this over the last few days, and the issue was not immigration but lack of integration. You need to try harder.

Links posted to back up everything.( Happy to repost it all again for everyone else to read.)

Unlike your posts which just spread anti immigration and pro far right rhetoric.

Even condoning violence as seen by your replies to another poster, to get what you want.

No problem with majority of people having opinions, only with those that propose hatred and violence to get what they want.

I don't think by any stretch there have even been a massive amount of people protesting although that will change if the government don't take on board people 's views.

But thats how we operate in this country, (don' t you know that?) peacefully, in the main.

The only violent protests have been those infiltrated and orchestrated by Far Right thugs.

A few bad apples indeed? So these thugs would not have been acting with direction from those higher up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

When a kid with disabilities was beat up the other day your only comment was how did they know nationality of the perpetrators.

No compassion or disgust of a kid getting beat up.

In my opinion your post showed a lack of remorse and was disgusting.

Why do you want people to be outraged over this.

I am disgusted by both incidents and feel bad for the victims.

But I'm a right wing supporter for showing compassion for all victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I would say the hatred in you is far stronger.

What is your argument 'all asylum seekers are criminals '?

And 15 thanks, from other racist posters.

Sweden is still a safe place. The number of rapes haven't gone through the roof, the way sex crimes were recorded was changed, therefore statistics changed. Same thing happened here when reporting changed .

Paris is still an awesome city to visit, bit expensive but still cool.

Those countries are not damaged.

Perhaps you could explain your statement about asylum seekers moving next door to your daughter and why you wouldn't be happy about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the Dublin fire at an accommodation centre? Blanchardstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Direct Provision while not perfect did provide this protection for genuine Asylum seekers. The policy we have now is attracting fraudulent asylum claims from across Europe. We don't see people in lorries as we are not on the frontier.

1500 applicants have presented in Dublin Airport in 4 months alone this year with either false or no documents.

These are the people being moved to the centres. Most of the Asylum application will either go into limbo or be rejected.

With the Ukraine situation our intake is up 960% from last year.

Due to Geography Ireland should be in a good position to successfully integrate a controlled number of genuine Asylum cases. Instead we are in this position where Ireland is now a prime destination for asylum fraud from economic migrants and the system and services supporting it have crumbled. This is why the member of EU council chastised the government this week.

No. They lose any rights to legitimate voice once they resort to intimidation and violence or condone it.

Those mindless thugs did not act alone. That attack in Sandwith Street was planned and orchestrated by unseen Far Right chiefs.

They have since proudly taken responsibility for it.

If people want legitimacy it goes both ways or not at all.

Edit. Note, I do not use quotation marks when describing these people as Far Right There is no reason to do that except you are trying to infer that they are not a real grouping.

There is a difference between Right Wing and Far Right as I think you know. .

I didn't mention right wing as you know .

I spoke about FAR RIGHT . ( in capitals with no quotation marks for you )

Stop trying to conflate the two .

Again you are conflating people with legitimate concerns who may hold right wing views , with the Far Right groups who have carried out violence against asylum seekers in this country .

2 distinct groups .

Majority of people who hold right wing views have nothing to do with the Far Right . . Included would be most of those people in that poll and others who are not right wing but like myself feel we have lost control of our immigration . So it's a misnomer to say that 75% of the electorate hold right wing views .

The Far Right who are a small vicious group spreading hate and advocating violence against asylum seekers are not representative of the majority of the people with right wing views at all .

All the rest of your post has nothing to do with that point . Just flannel .

It has all been discussed by myself and lots of other posters here long before you registered to post on this thread yesterday . And will after you have gone into the ether no doubt .

But you are trying to hijack those legitimate concerns and use them to try to bolster support for the Far Right .

Tell me which group are you an activist for...Irish Freedom Party , The National Party or further afield maybe , National Action ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Some people only care about crime when it isn't carried out by white Irish people...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

From that Sunday Business Post poll, it seems most SF voters don't really understand the ideology of the very party they support. Expecting it to be hard line on immigration and refugees is baffling stuff....almost as if they view it as (or think it should be) some form of right wing Irish nationalist party, rather than a left wing (or centre left) one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Seems to be a wilful blindness about SF among Irish conservatives of various stripes

This little anecdote from Irish Catholic Boards, where I occasionally lurk to see what's going on in those circles, illustrates the point

When I told my father-- who is much more politically astute than I am-- that Atheist Ireland or some similar secularist society had found the Shinners to be the most secular party in Ireland (based on a questionnaire circulated to candidates), he said: "You trust Atheist Ireland?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I wonder if the cops will throw their decent reputation with the public under the bus over this on going fiasco?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Not really they already enjoy giving a slap to national party supporters and the likes, and the public seem quite happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

You're an authority on Sweden being a safe place? Maybe check the Swedish reddit to see what a shithole it has become. I spent quite some time in Stockholm in the early 2000s and it was one of the most beautiful/safest places I ever stayed in. Not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

I thanked treemaster's post. I resent being called a racist, look at my profile pic, he's a Brazilian legend, I don't think he has Irish or Anglo Saxon ancestry, I don't care, I'll always praise him. I'm like the 75% in the SBP poll, I'm concerned about the number of people arriving here without passports/ID and genuine reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

-deleted cos Im still banned for whatever reason

Post edited by maninasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

deleted as well

Post edited by maninasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Put them in a floatel that doesnt let them off until their claim is heard.

And crucially invest in way more staff and reducing time for a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

And some only care when it's carried about by the "far right".

I am still unsure what your feelings on immigration and how the government should manage it

Advertisement