Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Gutting but ultimately we didn't deserve to go through with 1 win out of 4.

On the bright side we have Connolly and Coleman to come back next year not to mention O'Flynn who was a massive loss today.

Decent first season for Pat Ryan. Plenty of progress, showed plenty of heart in the last three games. Just lacked that little bit of quality which hopefully the players above and a few of the under 20s will address in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The table doesn't lie. Finished 4th out of 5 and only 1 point ahead of a dreadful Waterford team. 1 win out of 4 games is simply not good enough. Yes there's been progress, but we're still below the level needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Seadin

Moral victories are no good. 18 years without an All Ireland is simply disgraceful for a hurling County like Cork. We died with the boots on but we still are miles away going all the way. Cork have work to do in defence going forward. I would have taken 3rd if we got there.

Even with the compressed season, being dumped out of the championship in May is a major disappointment. It's a long long time since Cork's championship season ended in Munster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We had the beatings of them.

2 losses by the slenderest of margins.

Its very tight in Munster, another day and we'd be in the final!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good win for the ladies today by 6 points 5-14 v 2-17

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Lets face it Patrick Horgan has been carrying Cork to Munster finals and all Ireland semis for the last decade. Sad he won't ever win an All Ireland. Eighteen years without a title is a disgrace for a county like Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Unfortunately don't think he'll win one and therefore won't go down as a legend of Cork hurling...an excellent player over the years though

Hoggie is already a legend of Cork hurling.

Not winning an All Ireland won't change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Fantastic player no doubt but not a legend unfortunately....

The top scorer in the history of the All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship is not a legend in his own county.

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,645 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hate the top scorer stat. Frees account for 40% of their scores - If you aren't a free taker then you can't get near it. It's dumb

Free taking is an essential part of the game - always was, always will be. Every team has one, probably their top scorer and rely on them, year in year out,.

I'm disgusted with today's result. I know people are saying that Cork are progressing this year but that's not guaranteed next year. We probably should have got a result against Tipp and Clare. We could have won today too but we didn't. This is another major problem Pat Ryan has to address, getting on the right side of tight games and winning them. We just didn't do it this year. Nothing is guaranteed in sport and that's what I fear about Cork going forward. All this underage potential doesn't guarantee an All Ireland. There are 2-3 players that need to go next year. Some have been around a while and we aren't winning nothing with those players involved. Forced myself to watch TSG tonight but wasn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,645 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yes? But like I was saying; unless you're a free taker you can't get near those lists, so it's a bit lame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

one of the big problems with the moderan game with back door systems and group stage championships is it takes away from teams like cork

look at your record against us and limerick historically , we have won like 10/62 games limerick have won 20/70 games because there is no more straight knock out it almost dilutes corks chances of repeating the history of the 70s 80s 90s ect..

clare went from 1951 to 1982 for a win against the rebels , as for today , ye were good , its pat ryans first year in charge , i feel the reason you are out goes back to the tipperary game , ye were much the better team that night and deserved to win

theres plenty of talent coming through so relax the famine is almost over and i back pat to win the big one under his tenure , once ben cunningham and one or two more younger lads mature to senior ye will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

ye are persisting with a few players who have not delivered for Cork when it matters... or mayb i should say they go missing when they are required... ye have talent coming in abundance... so those players havent long left.. unfortunately one of those will prob be conor lehane.. a player i like to watch when hes in full flow... but he just hasnt delivered for whatever reason... luke meade is another player that i dont think will be around... in the 25th min today LK got a sideline.. the camera was on tom morrissey and luke meade who i presume was marking morrissey.. he was gently pushing morrissey back everytime he would move forward.. ye know the usual stupidity that goes on.. well less than a min later morrissey got the ball and put it over the bar and when they showed the replay of the score from behind the goals... morrissey was in acres of space... where the hell had Meade gone????

• Registered Users Posts: 34,144 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The problem with Cork is Cork themselves.

I'm optimistic about this bunch after yesterday. They showed great heart but if we could cut out giving away least few easy scores we be laughing.

Peno and one of goals should not have stood although that does not forgive Cork for poor positional play.

19 years since we won all Ireland it will be and no guarantee we keep improving, but with the underage teams showing talent coming, got to be optimistic.

At moment we are the Mayo of hurling. Get little more stronger and clinical in next 11 months and we give it right go next year.

It hurts to be out though. Summer over and not even June sucks.

Least got U20s to look forward to...

Going from an AI final in 2021 to being dumped out of Munster in 2023 is fairly grim no matter what spin you put on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Plastik

As gallant as our performances have been this year compared to the last number of years, in the dog eat dog world of Munster championship there's no getting away from the cold hard reality that the only team we managed to beat was Waterford. Massively proud of the fighting performances we put in 2023, but such are the tight margins. The four point swing from the penalty and Cahalane off the ground decisions were one of many things that cost the game. On that note, where was Eoin Downey yesterday, I assume injured? We badly, badly need to get rid of Cahalane. He's an absolute walking cluster** of a defender.

Horgan is one of the best players I have ever seen for Cork. All Ireland medals or no medals. He's a class act. Doubtful he will win an All Ireland now.

I agree, there are a few players who are there a long time that aren't up to it and are still getting game time. Horgan is not one of these players. He's been outstanding for Cork for the last 10-12 years but not sure how long more he will stay at it. Time waits for no man.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,144 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The same all ireland where we lost by 16 points and thats with Limerick pulling up.

Ya twas groundbreaking season compared to now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

With the modern structure, you're looking at seven games minimum to win the all Ireland. The four group games in Munster, Munster final, all Ireland semi final and the final. In 1999 we only had to play four games to win the all Ireland. All Irelands sure are harder to win now than in the pre backdoor era imo. In fairness to Pat the team gave it it's all for him all year, we showed character to come back against Tipp, and we showed character as well against Clare and Limerick, but we just fell short in the end unfortunately.

The tactics need to improve though and the goalkeeper situation needs to be looked at as well. We were missing a couple of players due to injuries as well. So these things all add up in the end! If the U20's win the all Ireland then that'll be three u20 all Irelands in four years, so that would suggest that the players are coming through. So really Cork should be there and thereabouts for the next couple of years as all Ireland contenders imo.

Post edited by Straight Talker on

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Yeah and Limerick trashed us that day. We went toe to toe with the best team in the country over the past five years yesterday, and we were unlucky not to win imo. That's progress of sorts in my book.

I thought Damian Cahalanes performances were solid enough this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

I'm a bit mystified with the Cork analysis on the Sunday game..Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Cork get out of Munster last year?

Roche the only new starter.

Underage success means nothing just look at Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Exactly Cork still relying on their old timers. Where's Jack O Connor? Showed a lot of promise a couple of years back, no where to be seen now

• Advertisement

Eighteen going on nineteen years, it's a sad and sorry state of affairs alright. Since that wonderful double of 1990, we've only won three senior hurling all Irelands and one senior football all Ireland in the subsequent thirty three years. Leaving Frank Murphy in charge for so long had a lot to do with our problems. Frank should've been kicked out on his hole after the third strike imo.

Advertisement