Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

We seem to have lost the know how in winning tight games. Even when we got ahead towards the end I didn't fancy us to hold out. There was too much space left out there which made it only too easy to create openings when they became available. Plus we don't seen to be able to put those half chances away like we once did.

I fear the season could be derailed with the injuries as we could be talking up to 5 definite starters missing against Galway which would make them strong favourites in my book.

All in all it was a pretty underwhelming performance which has been the calling card of this particular set of players for a few years now.

On the ref- let's call a spade a spade here - he wasn't big enough to deal with the crowd today and gave a series of mystifying decisions against Kilkenny, none more so than the penalty. As has been correctly observed elsewhere the same frees were not given in the other direction. The classic whine from the beaten team I'll concede but this was unquestionable today and makes a big difference in a tight game like that.

I'm assuming Mullens injury was as a result of a late pull over the sideline which went unpunished naturally. I could see blood from uo in.the stand and blood doesn't just start seeping out from skin of its own accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Both mullen and butlers injuries were from wild pulls. I'll have to look at it again if I see a replay but how we weren't awarded numerous frees in injury time is beyond me. To me the ref bottled it and that criticism is justified. We have to move on now and if mikey carey is near enough the pace he needs to start against Galway. Hopefully the injures lads are available but it didn't look good. Mullens touch and striking were poor before he went off. I thought eoin Cody was a genuine threat and if we fed him more he would do harm even though Wexford had an extra man back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

Disappointing result and the injuries are concerning. Mullen's looked a hand injury, didn't look good for two weeks time. Our defending was poor, Lawlor hasn't looked good under a high ball in two matches now which is a concern. We had opportunities to clear the ball before both of their second half goals but failed to do so. Padraig Walsh looks like he's struggling with the pace of the game now. Eoin Cody and Tom Phelan had fine games, some excellent direct running by the two of them, Drennan was disappointing, he was never involved. This looks likes TJ last season tbh, still some good flashes but he's very slow and doesn't seem to be able to win the ball in the air as cleanly as he used to. Missed two fairly scorable frees also. Midfield isn't settled at all, looked like Billy Ryan was playing there at times in the 2nd half, that didn't work.

Ref was bad no doubt about it, he let far too much go and gave the Wexford backs the benefit of the doubt way too often. The penalty looked a foul from my angle but I was at the opposite goal and didn't see it 100% clearly particularly where it happened. Also why was the free given to Wexford right at the end when we scored the disallowed goal? I was at the wrong end and it wasn't mentioned in any of the match reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Planman82

Hatred? Jaysus man chill, it’s just a game😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Mullen did all the play making before he went off. After that they got their heads up and Wally sure missed him. Mikey went down and nobody went to assist him he then spotted Wexford attacking he got up ran to the far wing out of sheer determination won a free and went down again.we were a bit unfortunate having got the last three wides.I was also behind the goal and I thought Padraigs shot was a point one or two of our lads who were in a better position said it to the linesman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

I’m looking forward to seeing our disallowed goal again considering he allowed the very same thing for one of wexford’s goals. I’m so tired of clutch decisions going against us at the end of matches with both wexford and galway.

Is the high long ball making a return.

Jackie Tyrrell’s stupid comments about Wexford probably didn’t help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It looks like it

Wexford left Macdonald and chin inside for most of it. We struggled with it at times but worse was 2 lads going for the one ball

Blanchfield got pulled today for trying to buy a free and they got a point but Simon Donahoe done the same and got a free. Tom phelan was excellent today. We'll do well to have everyone back. Hopefully just precautionary but we were unlucky to loose 3 lads early in the match and a couple before the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Having TJ, PW, Fogarty and Buckley on the field at the end of a game is not going to work. They're all really showing their age this year unfortunately. You can probably get away with 1 or 2 of them but definitely not 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

I’d say Wexfords fans are at their wits ends about why Wexford can beat Kilkenny but putting in half arsed performances against Westmeath and Dublin.

I thought Tommy Walsh really struggled on Chin in every aspect.

Now I know Chin is a freak athlete, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

They don’t care about that at all…. Beating Kilkenny is their All Ireland final .

Tommy struggled I thought Lawlor might have picked him up and Tommy on Macdonald.lyng didn't even make a change. Deegan as much as we all give out would was a loss and always good for a few goals. We have issues in defense. 7 goals against Wexford and antrim isn't great.

Wouldn't be overly impressed with management and all the elder subs. Cian Kenny,Shane walsh and these lads must be well down the pecking order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

We are lucky Galway are no good. Terrible today. No pace and like Kilkenny looking at older lads to long, Conor Cooney etc. Galway were a shambles today

Conor Cooney runs riot for St Thomas every year in Galway and gets picked on that basis.

Cooney never had and never will have the pace for top inter county hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭davidx40

Henry isnt setting the world alight in Galway .....I feel they've gone backwards under him no progress and very naive tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

Galway blew their annual Cooke park cobwebs out today. They will be looking at our defensive performance, our midfield, and our injuries and licking their lips.

other thoughts..

Jesus Christ I thought we learned Padraig is not a center back or full back against Limerick. Nor is he a sweeper - he’s head down and run.. Can we not play him midfield?

We scored 5 (six?) goals today yet played with a sweeper with the breeze. All the messing around with the puck outs only unsettles the backs and didn’t offer anything in terms of quickly changing the point of attack. If we supported our forwards better we would have got the job done.

I have to admit I felt a surge of admiration for Lee Chins last point - the man was basically crocked but still pulled it out of himself to go again.

That said, in another era Jackie would have buried him at some stage.

Wexford had the nastiness/shithouserytoday and we didn’t (of course the completely uneven performance from the officials didn’t help)

We concede the same goal over and over - everyone attacks the ball and no one covers the break or the runner.

We have players that have given great service but are terrible on the ball and as a result concede scores from bad decisions. If we’re going to play a shorter game then they can’t be our go to- even with the injuries we had today. I’d rather we focussed on getting e.g. Cian Kenny back on form and developing our younger crew.

Why was Timmy Clifford not a option to come into midfield and chase and carry?

Seamed a tough day at the offfice for Bill Drennan but it’s part of his development - think of how many off days TJ had.

Tom Phelan was excellent - scored, worked his ass off, caught brilliant ball, was constantly fouled off the ball but got nothing. His confidence as a result will be a real positive.

There was a wind in Croke Park yesterday and Dublin had the wind in the first half and Galway played with a packed defence in the first half. Gave Dublin complete control of the game in the first half, scoring from distance out the field and backs and midfielders had time on the ball. They could have been 20 points down at half time, Conor Whelan was very poor and looks out of form, they had another younger player inside with him, barely had 2 possessions and taken off at HT. half forward line of Conor Cooney, Evan Niland and Ronan Glennon also nothing to worry about. Kilkenny should be beating this Galway team

I'd agree with the posters here saying management didn't have a great day at the office yesterday. They could have made a few changes yesterday at half time when they would have had most impact and could have helped stem the tide. With 5 subs allowed these days it was an opportunity missed. Thought the day was made for Clifford and was sure he would appear at half time. He likes to drop deep to pick up ball and has pace so I'm a bit stumped on that one to be honest.

The players missing through injury were really the difference in the end. With all 5 ot 6 on board we have a much better, rounded team than Wexford. Without them however it was even Steven and add the dodgy, biased referee into the bargain who couldn't handle the occasion and we were really up against it.

I wouldn't have feared Galway going into yesterday's game as I don't think they are all that but the injury situation is a big worry. Its not just that we are missing players- All those players are really important to the way we play. So without them I think we are really up against it and it could derail our year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

In fairness they had to make 3 subs in the first half, I'm not sure you can risk making more at half time. The game changed massively after the 3 lads went off, especially Fogarty coming on for Mullen who was controlling the game.

The plus side was the goals and how well we worked them, I was worried after the Dublin game but we could of had 7/8 goals easily yesterday.

I know we had 3 early subs but the fact that it was effectively a free game wouldn't it of being ideal for Mikey Carey,Clifford and even Shane walsh.tommy struggled on chin so why not switch him with Lawlor. We were definitely poor on the line and the subs were conservative.

We certainly created goal chances we walked straight through them. Could of had 5 by half time.galway are like ourselves we're both in the final afternoon performances. Injuries now are a big worry. Donnelly,drennan and Ryan were all quite yesterday. Wally faded. Fogarty and Buckley had little impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

Didn't understand why Buckley was brought on yesterday, surely it was an opportunity to get 10 or 15 minutes into Mikey Carey or Clifford?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

And Padraig Walsh was lost in the spare man position far too often. The spare man needed to be alert and mobile , offering more assistance to the full backs, which he didn't. Under the circumstances R Reid was a major loss. Perhaps M Carey would have offered more than P Walsh in the second half.

I agree, T Walsh should have been switched with H Lawlor. And, once again, our puckouts needed more variation.

Come on Management, it's time to be brave and to dispense once and for all with the past. Smarter hurling is the order of the day. We have the players.

As stated above we have only beat Westmeath, Dublin and Antrim to qualify for a Leinster Final. We really need to be beating an average Galway team.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Yep, and Mullen has paid the price. His sesaon is over, having an operation this morning to have his thumb pieced back together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Having saw the wound from a distance in the stand you could see it was bad. It went unpunished too, not so much as a free given for it. No doubt they will hind behind the accident excuse. Classic Wexford in fairness.

I would not classify that as a dirty Wexford team. They played the game at a high intensity that Kilkenny struggled with.

• Advertisement

Advertisement