Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do traditional hurling counties honestly want hurling to grow or stay as is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭cms88

There are few things more cringe than listening to the likes of Donal Og talk about hurling and trying so desperately hard to make it out to be something it's not.

I've long felt imo Donal Og is a nasty nasty individual. A few years ago he was all for ''Team Ulster'', one of the wost things ever suggested, yet he now seems to have a gripe with Antrim. He also has one with Kerry now. It wouldn't at all surprise me if he had applied for both jobs at some point and didn't get them and how has a grudge. Because it's something right down his street.

Cummins another man who's all talk about promoting the game. Was involved on and off with Kerry for a few years. What his actual role was is anyones guess, but when Kerry one season were to play a McDongah Cup game where was Brendan? On RTE coverage of the league final 🙄 These lads have no interest in ''development of hurling'' they just want a quick buck and think their name should entitle them to jobs in the likes of Kerry, Kildare etc

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hurlaway

Cusack has one agenda and one agenda only himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

People seem to be getting angry with certain individuals, miss directed anger imo, you need to be angry with your County board, the GAA as to why hurling is so poor in most counties.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I can’t see a day where hurling grows beyond the counties is popular in now. As someone from a non- traditional hurling county , I find hyperbole around it eye-rolling & gives off a sense of insecurity. I also think the ease at which points are now scored at the highest level and the erosion of the importance of a goal to be very detrimental to sport as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

To answer your topic question, moreso than the details of this post, the answer clearly no, they don't want it to grow. Just listen or read back on all the hurling commentators reaction to the possibility of Wexford being relegated from the Leinster Championship. They all say they're in favour of growing the game. Well unfortunately that will require a 'traditional' power being overtaken by another county from time to time. The Joe Mcdonagh Cup would benefit hugely from the relegation of more teams from the Liam Mccarthy competition. And not to mention the completely closed shop of a Munster Championship.

As long as these issues are not addressed Hurling will unfortunately remain very much a minority interest sport.

Post edited by sportsmaddad on

imo and this will more than likely been a controversial view but i think the McCarty Cup would have been better off had Westmeath stayed up. I know they had to win today and didn't, but i just don't see what Antrim actually offer the McCarty Cup. When was the last notable result they've had? Beating Dublin in 2010? Yet they never built on that. Westmeath looked to be going the right way. Stayed up in Div 1 beat Wexford having drew last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Would you have some Munster teams move to the leinster championship to try and shake things up?

I wouldn't be against the idea of merging Joe McDonnagh and Christie Ring into one competition, 2 groups of 6 and the top 2 in each group play in a respective final for promotion to Leinster or Munster. Make Munster a 6 team league then would effectively open the All Ireland to 24 teams every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i would be , dublin get an awful reputation but they are better then the current waterford team and so are wexford , the fact is the attendances of the munster games add to the atmosphere and rte and the general media lap it up ,

if you follow hurling the space given up by cork and limerick was unforgivable ,it wa the total opposite between dublin and galway which tells its own story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think you're getting a little carried away about the results yesterday in your judgement of teams. Waterford took Limerick to the wire and beat Tipperary this year. Yes, they had some bad performances but so did Dublin and Wexford.

The only teams Dublin beat in Leinster were two of the three relegation contenders and they could only draw with the other, Antrim.

Wexford have failed to beat Dublin in their last three championship meetings,and have failed to beat Westmeath in their last two. I wouldn't assume anything about what either of these teams would do against anyone.

And Dublin-Galway was shown live on RTÉ yesterday despite the fact that the three qualifiers from Leinster were already known. Not bad TV coverage for a relatively insignificant game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The traditional hurling counties want to keep the sport to themselves, they pay lip service and pretend they want to expand the game but secretly they think the non elite are beneath them.

Look at the whining by the main sports columnist in today's Irish Independent about poor old Cork being out of the championship and how unfair it is (despite them losing 2 of their 4 matches) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭I says

Correct the old order will always look after themselves even KK sportingly gave Wexford a chance yesterday 😂😂.

Don't think that's the case really.

If hurling was so intrinsically impossibly, skillful as some fellas like to pretend it is then close to the 100% of the people that have been able to master it wouldn't all live in the southern half of Ireland.The fact that such a relatively high percentage of the people who have tried the game have been able to excel at it (compared to other sports) shows you it isn't really that difficult a sport at all.

People don't tend to play it because there is no tradition in their club or county, that is the reason.

Limerick lost one and drew one and are in the Munster final... Fine margins in fairness

And won more games than Cork, Tipperary and Waterford so are deservedly in the Munster Final. Margins are often not so fine as people think.

I think the thrust of that referred to the fact that Offaly (for example) are now in the last 8 despite playing no top teams while better teams are out. Does seem a strange advantage to give a team not able to win the Joe McDonagh.

• Advertisement

He did but it's just a carrot for these teams for each season to give them a shot at the big boys , he could have said they shouldn't be in it without referencing how it was unfair Cork are no longer in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hurlaway

How is it unfair on Cork they won only 1 match from 4 how many chances should they get cork are not out because Offaly and Carlow are in same goes for waterford

Yeah, one point in one game and it would have been a different table, That to me is fine margins. And I don't see that as a bad thing, it makes the competition more interesting.

How boring is the Premier League with the same teams running away with it every year or a Leinster Rugby home game against an Italian team.

Of course if different teams won the games the table would be different. Can't argue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The top brass do not want a 'newbie' coming in and taking over the show

Hypothetically, if a New York/London started offering lads massive money to come over and work there. If they ended up walking the Championships there'd be uproar

Likewise, if someone like a Wicklow pumped massive money into their academy for the next few years, if it all came to fruition, there'd be jealousy, spite and multitudes of excuses

• Advertisement

My point is that it was a very very close tournament this year. Closer than some would give it credit for

As long as there was no smell of professionalism nobody would care too much. As it stands there is nothing stopping either from happening in the current system

London or Wicklow could in theory win Christy Ring, Joe McDonnagh and then the All-Ireland

Exactly, genuine hurling people want weaker counties to get stronger and the game in general to get more popular countrywide. There's definitely a desire for more teams competing in the liam McCarthy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I wouldn't consider myself a "genuine hurling person" but the competition is called the "all Ireland" and I do believe it lives up to that name as much as it can

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ValentiahYes

The GAA need to incentivise clubs to go dual in the long term. There are some counties with only 5/6 hurling clubs.

They will never in a million years be able to compete with counties who in single clubs alone are fielding 3/4 adult teams.

It’s odd that every club in the country is allocated a couple of tickets for the All Ireland hurling final despite the fact less than half of them actually don’t even field a hurling team.

Would be a quick fix if the GAA was arsed to get as many clubs as possible to field under age hurling teams to under 12 at least. Especially any decent sized clubs. Fine the clubs that don't bother their hole fielding a team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I couldn’t help but notice Donal Og was at it again making a snide remark about Leinster Hurling on TSG. Something about how ‘we thought the Leinster Final would be the reading room equivalent’ I don’t think it is a ‘put on act’ with him. It is just in his nature, can’t help himself. And any praise he gives Leinster is through gritted teeth. Awful attitude. Pity as he is a good technical analyst.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

That wouldn't be spreading the game though would it? It would be just buying a team which everybody would be against, if Wicklow started off underage and had a competitive senior team in time then all counties, whether traditional or not, would be applauding, same for Carlow, Westmeath, Kildare, Offaly who have improved underage and are more competitive at senior as a result, I don't see any of the traditional counties having jealousy, spite or excuses, that's all in your head I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Is there anything as tiresome as this Leinster vs Munster hurling arguments...last year Wexford nearly beat Clare, Cork nearly beat Galway, Kilkenny hammered Clare and Galway and KK nearly beat Limerick...top 3 in both are about the same, it's only that Munster 5 teams are a similar level, Leinster not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Treble double

• Advertisement

But the point is it is snide stuff slagging off your own sport it is an odd mindset. Football does not have that mindset at all, hurling seems extremely parochial in comparison. And growth is discouraged rather than encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaboRoig

That's not entirely true. My home club has no hurling teams and are never allocated All-Ireland hurling final tickets. They get 4 each year for the football final.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaboRoig

Just on the OP, I lived and played gaelic football and hurling (very badly!) in Cork in the 1980's when Offaly hurling was at its peak. The absolute disdain and condescending attiude down there to Offaly at the time was incredible. Not everyone obviously, but here was a decent percentage of GAA folk who couldn't handle the fact that a non traditional county was winning All-Irelands.

When Cork beat Offaly in the final in Thurles in 1984, it was basically just "normal service resumed"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,291 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cork have that attitude in general its not just an Offaly thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The top brass would be welcoming of new teams if they bring crowds with them. The McDonagh is a great level but the counties involved are not getting great support from their own people.

Football brought in a open draw in Munster. It is good for the footballers of Clare, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford but they are not bringing the support of their own people. The result is Munster finals with poor crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Relegation to become much more of a threat if these proposals are adopted.

“There will be a number of options going out to counties within the next week,” confirmed GAA director of club, player and games administration Feargal McGill. “But there is no huge rush on that, the reason being that if a new structure comes in for the National Hurling League it will come in for 2025.

“In that case, what we will need to do in 2024 is make counties aware of what’s going to happen. For example, if you finish fifth in Division 1B, this is where you will be next year.

“Counties will have about a month to come back to us about what their preference is. They will have three new structures to consider – they won’t be rocket science – or the current structure.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

John Fogarty is reporting that the majority of McDonagh Cup players want the All-Ireland preliminary quarter-finals to remain.

76% of respondents from the nine counties want the pathway to the All-Ireland retained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭randd1

Good enough for me. If they want to keep it, leave them have it. Given how the championship pans out now, it doesn't make a difference to the scheduling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

As a former hurler, I recognise the insane talent it takes be elite in the sport, but as a televised sport I feel it's almost unwatchable due to the speed of the ball/play and that will severely limit it's audience outside of traditional counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You're not allowed to say that!

Isn't every hurling game on TV a classic and beyond criticism?

It is funny you say that because I went to Semple Stadium to see my first Munster Hurling match a number of years ago. Tipp v Cork just to see what this 'Munster Hurling' craic was about. Off I went with me Sambos, and me Dublin jersey on and all. (got a few looks). Around 2017 I would say.

Tipp were top dogs at the time. And Cork gave them a right rattle. They weren't supposed to. I don't even know who won in the end. But I remember it was up and down nearly non stop. But jayus I was afraid to mark score in the programme, for fear I would miss another two of them.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭mitchelsontour

If I remember correctly Kerry were open to playing this years Munster final in Ennis but the Munster Council decided on limerick.

Probably would have gotten a bigger crowd in Ennis and definitely a better atmosphere.

Sometimes/most of the time, I cannot understand the thinking of the suits.

It appears that that at least some in the GAA administration want to maintain the status quo power base, and sideline less traditional counties. Dumping them out of the Hurling League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's mad how hurling is regarded as almost this ancient art-form (ceremonial hurl wielded out for presidential visits) yet the game itself has gone so far removed from the romance that it's closer to the dreaded football. Never see any exciting ground hurling anymore because retention is king (John Fenton and Adrian Fenlon would be lost in today's version), and most attacking moves feature multiple hand-passing in the build-up. Seperately, long-range scores have become too frequent.

This stand by the Liam McCarthy counties is box ticking though, as it won't affect them in the slightest.

Yet many ''hurling people'' in the media will tell you there's nothing wrong with the game. In general top tier counties and players are very slow to change anything. You only have to see their rants about changing the colour of the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

For me this debate is a bit redundant; because I really dont think it matters that much if traditional hurling counties want hurling to grow.

The hurling championship works for them. Clare, Tipp, Limerick, KK - they have a series of great matches every year, their fans are energised, making county team is a big deal, underage is humming along.

The fact is that championship is probably much better for the top hurling player than it is for the top footballer. How many close games do Dublin or Kerry play each year? 2 at best.

The only thing that matters is what people think in the peripheral counties - do the non-traditional hurling counties want hurling to grow, and, what are they going to do about it. Cause no one else will do it for them, nor should they be expected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

It's a bit off topic, but we always hear "the game is evolving and that is good" but never any questioning about why exactly it is good or whether there can be too much evolution, even when the game is almost unrecognizable to what it was when the GAA was founded

The non-traditional counties are going to need outside help though. In other words help from more traditional counties. Dublin hurling would never have progressed without former players/managers from traditional counties either playing for/or managing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If the GAA wants to cast off the smaller hurling counties like Fermanagh, then I think Fermanagh players should listen to them. Tell them they can keep their stickball and pull out of the sport completely, concentrate on other sports that do actually want them around.

The likes of Fermanagh hurling should already be gone, it doesn't have the population to support multiple top tier county teams. But a core group of men and women kept hurling alive in the county for decades, travelling all over the north for club games and every year putting a team into the competitions they were allowed to.

Now the GAA makes it clear it would rather these teams just went away. Well **** them, let them have their closed shop. Just don't dare come whinging later down the line when your precious hurling is dying on its arse everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭randd1

I think the decision had much less to do with telling players from weaker counties to fu€k off and much more to do with money.

And that's the crux of this for me; decisions in the GAA are being governed by money, not the good of the games. The move to a semi-professional sport, and that's what the highest level of both codes effectively is now, was always going to see a cost-cutting exercise implemented somewhere, regardless of interest or game development,

And don't think something like this couldn't happen in football either. I can see why so many football counties are so dead against the removal of the provincial championships because they know without the provincials, they'd be tossed into lower league competitions similar to hurling, which might be more competitive and entertaining, but would see their concerns and influence dismissed by the money men. The only thing that has seen football escape the same potential gutting for money is safety in numbers.

It's just another example of how the GAA, and in particular the GPA, have prioritized money as they hold a Pro 14/Premier League image of themselves as ultimate sportsmen.

If the GAA really wanted to develop hurling, it would put a spending limit of €300k on county senior teams, allow expenses for only two training sessions a week, and use savings to develop participation in schools and develop county/provincial leagues during the first part of the year in developing counties. The fact that every county fields a hurling team and has clubs, and more importantly plenty of fans of hurling (even if they're never played it), shows at least there's an interest there. And if any county breaks the funding rules, kick them out of the championship for two years and drop them to the bottom rung of the ladder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement