Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

How did you come to that conclusion. Russia is economically bleeding out and its people are been dragged into a special operation which seems to be getting them killed.

WW1 and WW11 needed boots on the ground, not today, with the precision weapons and training UKR is receiving, there's no need for other nations to step in. Russia is a shadow of its former self, a spent force. Nobody is or planning on invading Russia, the people of Russia know this, the easiest solution is for putin to be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I think I agree with LF, Russia surrendering isn't really going to happen because they won't be beaten into submission on their own territory (Russia proper)

Being a totally despicable excuse for a nation, they'll simply step back over the border and say "what war"?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

Russia is not bleeding out economically though it continues to trade away with the non Anglo centric world India and China are now major trading partners.

A very small portion of its people is being dragged into the war in Ukraine mostly its poor. No war has ever been won without boots on the ground and as for Putin being removed? Be careful what you wish for there is no guarantee that who follows will be a cuddly western loving democrat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russia itself is not under any threat, but their "operation" is. Any number of factors could impact that invasion, from partial (or substantial) military collapse, to economic issues, to domestic political pressure and issues.

• Advertisement

Kyiv being attacked again during daylight after the attack last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

Indeed the best chance of a Ukrainian victory is that following battlefield defeats support for the war collapses in Russia and leads to the ousting of Putin and the suing for peace on favourable terms for Ukraine but this would require a popular uprising against Putin and co how likely is that?

What is far more likely is a palace coup of sorts which would more than likely bring a more hawkish leader to power.

But people like Daly who says the west should stop arming Ukraine don't seem to understand. Her plan seems to be-

1. Stop sending weapons
    2. Sit down and have a nice civilized chat about things and make peace.

But how can you have a discussion with a mass murderer who wants to kill you? Daly is being naive.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Possibly but a hawkish leader with little or no capability to be other than a paper tiger.

If you're so convinced about Russia's great economy and ability to run a war machine, give us the figures.

Remember they live in a global trading & financial world and will continue to be subject to heavy sanctions.

Moscow's disastrous decision to engage in a full scale invasion last year has made them a pariah state.

Prigozhin has called the leadership out on it, accusing them of starting a war and now not having the balls to back it up.

Russia is a busted flush and it's neighbours know it, China and India etc will squeeze them for all they can. They are a dangerous busted flush as backed into an alley but with a fully alert hit squad ready to take action if they lash out.

You're not factoring in that the "west" can't allow Russia to succeed. Times change and it doesn't require a boots on the ground assault into Moscow to get Putin to stop. The west will continue to fund UKR and sanctions on Russia. There is only one way that ends and its with Russian troops back in its own country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

nah. its just kremlin bots and local useful idiots trying their best to derail and whatabouting. happens periodically every time ruSSkies are humiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's not a lie. As I never made out that I did. What I said was i made my position clear on the war in previous posts. I was merely refuting your assertion that I was trying to deflect from Russian actions in Ukraine by mentioning Israel . As I stated previously if I was trying to deflect I would not condemn Russian actions in Ukraine. The impasse as you know well is your contention that by seeking to condemn all war crimes I am somehow trying to distract or absolve Russia of blame. I most certainly am not. Your insistence that I am is childish and tedious. I won't admit to something I have not done. Since you won't or unwilling to admit you got this wrong. There is no point in discussing this further. I will say some of your peace plan has merit but all of it is very unlikely to be unachievable in the real world. No doubt you likely construe this position as being pro Russian as well . So there is little point in continuing this back and forth. 👋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I'm not saying they won't be kicked out of Ukraine.

I'm just saying that, unlike Germany & Japan, they aren't being threatened on their own turf (not militarily anyway, not really).

They'll never sign any surrender agreement, they'll simply say that they're so delighted with their SMO that they're going back across the border.

I find it very unlikely that Putin would be ousted. My point is that the Ru war effort could run into significant issues independent of that. Low morale among troops, poor equipment, in-fighting, few battlefield successes, trying to hold a 1,000 km frontline - they've already resorted to draining prisons and using cheap drone attacks on largely non-military targets. It's a very expensive war for them, for a country with a GDP equivalent to that of Italy, which has burned a lot of economic bridges. Any number of these cracks could start to turn into serious fractures which could impact the whole war effort, which seems, at the moment, to be producing nothing but humiliation and Russian coffins.

The trade it lost with Europe is nothing compared to what it gained from India / China. Mostly those countries are taking advantage of this situation to buy Oil at greatly discounted prices. on top of that China is pushing to land grab from the south. Russia has no real friends. As time goes by the outlook for Russia gets bleaker.

While War's required boots on the ground that is changing, precision weapons do that grunt work, starving the opposition of supply lines, demoralising them as they get picked off. That's my guess as to why UKR hasn't yet driven its counter-offensive, why risk their troops when they are having such success. Another couple of months of this and the Russian front line will be dysfunctional. The days of the ww1 western front slog is over, Russia could possibly hold out if such a tactical battle was fought, but it won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

It is a lie, you mentioned nothing in your post reposted about Russia. It was Israel and nothing else, you deflected and now are telling lies to distract from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

There you go, that is your reply. You deflected directly to Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, there it is and where, as I have stated numerous times by now , have I tried to absolve Russia of blame. I have not. Deflection would be if I had refused to condemn Russia in that post. I have clearly stated in the post that Russia should be held to account. It is pointless to continue this since you won't admit to what is in front of you. I give up.

I see russia like a pack of wild animals. If Putin shows weakness he's finished. It won't take the crushing defeats of the world wars, Russia being forced to retreat with nothing but body bags and continuing sanctions will do the trick. Sanctions continue to tighten which is cutting off the final lifelines the rich and wealthy Russians have. The tide is turning and the noose is getting tighter for Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Sounds pretty authoritarian tbh. I'm sorry if you don't agree with what Daly is saying (neither do i for instance) but iv'e no time for a society that doesn't argue against people of her ilk. If you don't like somebodies point of view/politics/flavour of beer they drink then just debate it. Banning free speech isn't the answer to the world's ill's.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

West has to seperate the war from the barbaric missile striking and give Ukraine weapons to counter the russian missile origin sites in Russian territory and it operators I think f16s on the way but tomahawks CM will only end this.

Militarily Russia is spent it continues to under deliver so time to bring it to an end.

Indiscriminate missile firing is terrorism on civilians all world leaders & even the pope should condemn this separately to the invasion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

I completely agree with the sentiment, and people like Daly and Wallace should be openly challenged when possible, but it does come across at times as a planned "rage bait" by the media. There were two people on the panel and obviously finding someone supporting the Daly point of view on the Ukranian war is going to be harder, at least represent that, a broader panel that offers more than a binary debate would be healthier.

You just have to look at Nolan on BBC NI, he often has wee Jamie on and just provokes people. There's rarely a range of opinions for debate, this is purely by design and just like Hannon's show which would benefit from a broader range of discussion.

I doubt it. She was invited on the show, by Ukrainians in the audience, to go there.

and how is debating with war crime, fascism, nazism, rashism suporters going? Fruitful? Has it ever been? You are mixing up actual free speech with crime advertising and just plain idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Grumpy, for Ukraine, its a matter of survival, pure and simple. And Ukrainians are not going to just lay down and die. They will fight to the last man, and while doing it they will continue to be supported. Whatever about propaganda, politics and administrations, the military's in each Country know very well what is the real picture, and they are not easily fooled. Putin is on a loser, one way or another, and he's feeling the pinch now, a pinch that will only get worse and worse, with the worst possible outcome for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

"A very small portion of its people is being dragged into the war in Ukraine mostly its poor."

That may be true if you look at the raw numbers of men fighting in Ukraine versus the total population of the country. That's a simplistic way of looking at things though. When you start looking at the working age men then things start getting more concentrated especially in the regional areas that have been disproportionately affected. In Republics like Buryatia it's difficult to find any able-bodied men who haven't been called up. That's the sort of thing that will cripple a local economy and devastate demographics for generations to come.

"but Buryatia is poor" you may say. Well the likes of Moscow and St. Petersburg don't have many men fighting, in proportion to their populations but they have their own crisis - that of young men fleeing the country. Many of these are highly skilled - since it takes means to flee and support oneself abroad. This is a veritable brain drain. That's a monumental disaster for any country.

Of course, you don't actually need to sent to the front or have fled to have been affected by this war. The entire country has been affected in one way or another. Every man who is fighting will have an entire family network who is personally affected through their relations with him. Repressions have gone up throughout society as the Kremlin has tightened the screws on its people. Many goods and services, including medicines, are no longer available - or have been replaced by inferior products. Thousands of men will be re-entering society, many of whom are freed prisoners with a history of violent crime. A stint at the front will likely have honed their skills at violence and destruction and that will have ripples in society for years to come.

Even the elites in Moscow have been affected. Many have met premature deaths as the pie that they loot has shrunk and mouths need to be eliminated. The nature of society is that everyone who has been allowed to rise through the ranks has kompromat on them - a sword of Damocles that can fall at them at any time. If you aren't murdered who can end up in prison for corruption. The likelihood of any of that happening has gone way up since the invaston happened. Beyond all of that their international mobility has been affected as they have become pariahs in many of the western circles that they previously swanned through.

The entire country has been dragged into this way in one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

A completely different scenario. Russia has time and time again reneged on agreements and accords, invaded and interefered with their neighbours. The Ukranians have suffered under Russian aggression and oppression for centuries, there is no trust. Russia has completely disregarded their agreements with both Belarus and Ukraine in the Budapest Memorandum, that'd be similar to the UK ignoring the Good Friday Agreement and rolling the army and funding Loyalist groups again.

Why would anyone sit down with them after something like that?

Thankfully, this is not the case and despite all their flaws the UK does hold itself to a diplomatic standard unlike the Russian regime who will invade and terrorise their neighbours if they see fit, they are untrustworthy and as far as the Ukranians are concerned, not to be trusted. I very much doubt the supposed "April 2022" deal would have created anything of any great substance or value. Momentary peace? Yeah, sure, until the Russians were ready for another attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

The polar opposite is needed otherwise all you are left with is an echo chamber. I'm actually glad to see the likes of Daly and Wallace on RTE and other outlets putting across their beliefs as absurd as it is. It makes a change from RTE's handling of the Covid pandemic where only the one side of the argument was permitted. Maybe they are learning, i live in hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement