Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Becoming?

Think they account for about 30 percent already and have done for a while. It's a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And yet you thanked a post when all it said was you wouldn't want asylum seekers moving in next door to your daughter.

That doesn't say anything about worries over the amount of people coming in, but says plenty about prejudices.

Swedish Reddit? If it's anything like Irish boards, then it's not actually indicative of real life!

I spent time in Sweden in the late teens, before COVID and it is still a beautiful and safe place.

It's actually amazing that this is still going on, on boards. Years ago there were posters showing up on threads about migrants, throwing in little soundbites and slogans, things like

'you wouldn't want an asylum seeker moving in next to your daughter '

Little sentences, promoting prejudices, subtle references to foreigners being criminals etc. It was very obvs what they were doing & when called out, they would close their account, another one opening shortly after. I had thought that type of thing would have been stamped out, but I'm back some years later, and they are still doing it. There's a lot more people thanking these bot accounts now though, worryingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean I can't speak much for Sweden as haven't been there, but Paris is an absolute kip outside the main city centre area. Even Eiffel Tower and Sacre Couer, which are major tourist spots, are dodgy as hell.

• Advertisement

Ah but you can say that about most major cities in the world! Of course there are dodgy areas, I mean look at the north inner city of Dublin, it's dodgy AF.

But there are posters implying that cities are now **** holes because of immigration! All cities have and have had dodgy areas.

I would say that a ton of the issues in Paris is due to immigration (or at least 2nd/3rd gen immigrants). If you sit and watch, the pickpocket gangs there are predominantly people from the same region.

The stretch from Notre Dame/Pantheon (around the university) and up to Arc de Triomphe is grand. Most of the centre is well policed by their own police and the anti terrorism guys. Montmarte, Eiffel Tower, around the stations (Gare de Nord in particular) and then the suburbs where you'll find a bunch of tent cities are dodgy.

I wouldn't say all cities are like that either. They all (or most anyway) have their issues, but Paris is one of the sketchier ones I've been to within Europe. It's got a significant pickpocketing problem, a lot of run down areas and a significant amount of tent cities and homeless.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Let's get something straight. Id have no issue with a refugee centre near me. No evidence they are full of sexual predators or crimminals.

Protesting outside centres is a bad move.

If you want to protest do it outside the relevant government department.

Violence is deplorable

All that being said - given current housing situation we are entitled to withdraw from agreements and return all non Ukrainian refugees

We then need a new policy that is fit for purpose. But after a suspenion of the existing one for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

From talking to people there is - huge anger and frustration over current policies.

People want action from govt on this.

Yes there are issues and yes other cities have them too, perhaps you just haven't seen as much of other cities?

And I disagree that it is down to immigration, as such, it is down to social policy and leaving certain sections of society behind. If you leave people (of any nationality) with basically nothing and no hope of improving their lives, then discontent spreads, crime increases etc etc.

Just dumping large amounts of anyone in suburbs of big cities, with no forward planning is never a good idea (ballymun, neilstown etc anyone)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭pauly58

There is an excellent article in The Times today about the pressure Italy has from migrants. The undoubtedly well meaning but naïve people here saying all refugees welcome, just have no grasp or concept of the numbers involved :

Somalia's population has gone from 7 million in 1990 to 18 million today and is projected to reach 40 million by 2050.

Democratic Republic of Congo. 1990: 36 million. Today, over 126 million.

Two examples. There are 52 more.

I've asked here several times how many exactly will be welcome here : 1m or 5m perhaps. Ultimately there will have to be a European initiative to agree the future policy, one thing is absolutely certain, Ireland is too small to solve the migrant problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I lived in Paris for a few years — what do you mean by "dodgy"? Paris is one of the most visited cities on the planet and crime centering around tourist areas, mostly pickpocketing, is always going to be a problem. People just seem to see new demographics and presume those demographics created whatever problem it is they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I doubt as many polled would actually translate to SF votes on the day.

It's a clear signal to FFG the electorate are pissed and that their policies and performace need to change swiftly. Not just immigration, they have been poor on absolutely everything. All portfolios are in the gutter.

That's the real message here.

Also anyone who blames refugees for entering the country no matter where they come from is a low IQ idiot. If the systems are in place to allow it, it's going to happen - who oversees the systems? If gaps exist in processes it's going to happen.

Blaming refugees is the easiest target. Direct your ire down the right channels instead of attacking a bus load of people carried into a town in the middle of the night without consultation.

That's nefarious activity - and the Government are responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Refugees make no impact on housing - sure thing golden girl!

53% of those on HAP in Longford non-irish, keep em coming. We'll get to the bottom of the 'housing crisis' someday! In the meantime throw another few billion at it Leo n Michael!

https://gript.ie/53-of-hap-recipients-in-longford-are-non-irish-figures-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have been saying that for a long time. The EU needs a plan. The numbers leaving Africa now will grow and grow and grow. It will be an exodus from some very populous countries. The stuff people are arguing about now is meaningless in comparison. The southern European countries are closest to it but if they don't get support or a plan, they will let those migrants simply pass through.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

That's why I suggested earlier that small towns and villages are the perfect place for refugees.

Much easier for them to integrate (if they wish to) easier to get to know people and get involved.

There are small schools around the country staying open now because of the new influx of kids, whereas the numbers were dwindling previously. Putting a bit of life back into these towns and villages can only be good for them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nuts102 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I was surprised to see the SBP poll - not the results, but the fact it happened at all

The last 3 polls, VM tonight show, The IT and now SBP - The average across the three is 83% against the current policy. That's pretty definitive and takes any margin of error, snapshot in time arguments completely out of the equation.

I remember during the pandemic, the ESRI were on radio/tv panels talking about the public's behavioural reactions and attitudes as the various stages of the crises unfolded - that's what the ESRI do and they're very good at it. Think of them as entomologists studying an ant colony (us)

Time and time again, during the many appearances on these panels, the ESRI said the people were way ahead of the Govt during the various phases - masks on/off, lock down/open up, etc etc. It turns out the people were correct. The hive mind is very powerful

MoS, Joe O'Brien, was on the radio with Gav Reilly yesterday and was asked about the SBP poll. All he had was, 'It was the way the questions were asked/worded in the poll' - seriously Joe, if that's the best you can do, feck off will ya. Talk about flailing about for an answer. What he could've said is, 'Yes Gavan, this doesn't look good at all, we have made a complete balls of it'

In other great news, McEntee is due back this week and as she is utterly out of her depth, expect nothing

• Advertisement

Yes been dodgy and dirty in central Dublin for years.

I remember the kids robbing people in gangs and running into the flats where no guard would follow.

When everyone was white and the drug pushers all spoke English....

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Europe in general is screwed unless they get a handle on this issue. Throw climate change into the mix and people headed northward from Africa/middle east and we are headed for disaster in the coming years. For the first time in a long time (ever actually) im hearing people who would have been very much open borders type citizens question this madness.

Yeah, rte n the Indo didn't run with it for some reason! I see rte didn't mention the refugees poll yesterday but we got a very relevant article about Somalia changing its voting system! Lol is right!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0528/1386068-somalia/

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

I attended the champions league final in Paris last summer for my work and watched football fans get attacked by gangs of a particular demographic. I'll give you a clue, they weren't white French people. The whole area around the stadium resembled a war zone from a poor African country. Paris in general in the 3 days i visited had a general air of menace about it that would put O'Connell street on a Saturday night to shame.

There was one from fingal 10 year ago, think the % was similar. They don't release the breakdown of figures in fingal anymore - it's a sensitive issue!

Its not exactly main news.

The reason its about Longford is that is local head quarters to the National Party.

People want numbers controlled.. yes, definitely.

But the blame being heaped on refugees is really insane or worse by some.

Social and integration problems existed long before there was a large refugee population in many cities /urban centres.

For many places now that you are talking about the issue of racism was not dealt with. Result is now you get 1st generation and 2nd generation angry and disenfranchised.

And fighting back.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Do you go to many football matches? Ever attend matches in England or Scotland where hooliganism was more or less a cultural meme back in the old Utopian days? But yes, violence and a sinister atmosphere around football matches is a cultural creation of African and Arab migrants in Paris.

We are off topic here but saying that the area around the Stade de France "resembled a war zone from a poor African country" is just melodramatic nonsense — but sadly reflective of the narrative trend on this thread.

Gangs of pickpockets anyway. Paris is as bad as Barcelona for that. I wouldn't walk around places like Gare de Nord or Gare de l'Est at night either by yourself. Areas around Stalingrad and the 19th too are quite poor too. My brother lived there for a while as he studying there so I've been there a fair bit, and there's a fair amount of poor areas there. Even as a tourist, taking the train in from CdG, you see a fair amount of tent cities (which is a homeless and immigration issue usually).

It's got a fair few issues imo and whilst not the worst, I've found it definitely less safe than other European cities like London, Berlin or Prague, and any European city is a big drop down on cities like Tokyo or Seoul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Interestingly one the main NGO proponents for the ending of direct provision and the drivers of the new policy introduced in 2021 made a couple of submissions.

One of the main things was that all local authority input would be removed from the decision making on where to set up the migrant camps in communiites

Seems they got exactly what they wanted in Galway.

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-city-councillors-kept-in-the-dark-on-refugee-centre-plans/

Advertisement