Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I was almost sure Cooney wouldn't score the penalty and it seemed he felt the same. Too safe a shot, about a yard inside the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Forward line have been pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Won't say too much as I'm Hyper after thar s***e but fair play to Shefflin. Subs changed the game. Once they worked out Dublin they came thundering into was just a question if they could reel them in. Leinster Final so job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Top of the group so in reality a successful season so far.

They have to turn up in the Leinster final though

• Advertisement

Absolutely. Dublin did the same thing in 2021 and we folded like a house of cards. Good resilience shown against Kilkenny and Dublin.

To gift two goals, miss a penalty and salvage a draw is no bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Galway way off the pace. Thought they only had to show up some players really not up to it at this level. Conor Cooney is washed at this level. Whelan is way off the pace at the minute. Mannions not at the races is it attitude or what. Those players are or should be experienced enough at this level that mick D would have Dublin primed. Henry must be wondering what the f uk is wrong with some of the players he picked. As Ciaran Fitzgerald asked in 85 where’s your f cking pride? Is there any pride in wearing the jersey or just arrogance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I had them written off at HT and they still nearly won it. In big trouble Sunday week though you'd have to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

I think to call it successful is glossing over the myriad of issues this team has. Snatch a draw or a win from a terrible performance and people seem to ignore the realities. Its been mentioned over and over what the weaknesses are and the reality will hit against a top team. They might "show up" for a one off performance like they did against limerick last year but theres no way they could put a consistent run together to challenge for an all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

The most worrying thing about yesterday was, first half performance. daithi mentioned in his man of the match speech that some players weren't pushing up and others were, lack of communication. whelan's form, his off the boil need to make concannon the focal point and move whelan out to 10 or 11. Shefflin needs to realise that when conor cooney is not on it, he won't hurl himself into the game and needs to be taken off asap. we need to move on from him really. penalty taker is required. Monaghan needs to wieght up his options better some of his shooting was erratic to say the least.

Positives from yesterday. we will never be as bad again. showed great heart to get back into it. Joseph cooney and Daithi hurling very well. Morrisey and grealish are our corner backs. Shefflin was not a happy camper on his galway bay interview so i hope for a big response from them.

• Advertisement

I agree that grealish and Morrissey are our corner backs. TJ isn't at senior level yet. Grealish really drove it on when he came on.

I don't think I'd agree that we won't be as bad again. I'd argue we were equally as bad against wexford except they were worse than us and we were as bad against Cork in the league and a couple of other league games. Attitude was at fault yesterday which we can't really put on Shefflin. But the absolute muck delivered and tactics used throughout his tenure I 100% put on him. Apart from a big showing against Limerick last year its been dreadful stuff. Hurling thats 15yrs past its sell by date.

If you look at Cork yesterday, they went through the lines in the 1st and last 3rd of the game and were well on top. For whatever reason they went long in the middle 3rd of the game and Limerick ate them alive. It cost cork the game. We're going long all game every game and we don't have the forwards to win that ball. 2yrs in and Shefflin still can't accept that fact and persists with it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

What are you watching? Cathal Mannion didn't play yesterday, he's injured. Padriac Mannion was collosal against Wexford when the chips were down and good v Kilkenny. Have you looked at Whelan's scoring figures so far in Leinster? Galway not going great but those aren't the places to be pointing the blame.

I'd somewhat agree on Conor Cooney, albiet he scored 7 from play v weak opposition last week. He needs to be whipped off sooner on obvious non going days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Hard to see this team win an All Ireland, making very heavy weather against fairly mediocre opposition. They need to step it up big time if they want to win Leinster never mind an All Ireland. Would have them as complete outsiders only ahead of Dublin when it comes to the All Ireland series. They could well pull a big performance out, but, I'd still think even with that, they wouldn't beat any if the munster teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Forgive the apostrophe if it’s hard for you to distinguish the two. Padraic was who I was on about We weren’t playing Wexford or KK yesterday. He was finger pointing when he should have grabbed that game by the neck yesterday. Whelans figures are impressive but against who in the greater scheme of things. As the yanks say he’s looking like a flat track bully. Cooney might lord it in the league in Galway but not up to inter county this last 3 yrs. on that show yesterday Waterford would have beat us up a stick. Flattering to deceive again. As was said early we surprise ourselves with one decent performance but the usual will prevail. KK will beat us in Leinster final and we loose gallantly to limerick in the semi after looking like world beaters against tipp if those are the cards that fall. Knuckle down and win Leinster is what I want it’s two games to an AI final that way and who knows then.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I think the talk of an All Ireland is pointless after yesterday, not a hope of it happening.

The semi final last year was an anomaly of a performance in 2022 but it made us think we are close on our day. But we'd need 3 of them performances back to back this summer and it won't happen. The tactics are same as last year and they won't win an All Ireland. Remember Monaghan and was it Whelan scored a hatful each last year in the Limerick match. Monaghan had a mixed day yesterday. Whelan got no ball.

I think we'll get one big performance this summer, and that'll be it. Mediocre performances won't get us into a final. It's old Galway pre Anthony Cunningham!

First off on yesterday. Galway needed a decent start but managed to hit three wides into a tough breeze. Back foot straight away.

The two goals you won't see happen again in years let alone weeks.

Penalties are an issue. From inter-county and club Niland and Kevin Cooney have missed a few while Conor Cooney has converted for Thomas's. Time to let Eanna come up and just smash it?? Only other option is P. Mannion.

System mal function rather than individual performances were the issues for me. As Daithí Burke said afterwards the half backs weren't pushing up and the half forward line weren't dropping deep enough to cover the Dublin half forward line dropping into midfield. P. Mannion on a number of occasions berated the half forward line for not dropping deep. Took 26mins for this to be sorted. Embarrassingly long from both players and management.

Once they did it was all down to whether Galway have enough time to reel them in. Just about.

GMac dogged at 3. Was turned once and decided on giving up the free. Other than that got the ball on the ground and used his "physique" to out muscle Dublin. TJ Brennan had a bad day with the pass for the goal putting Galway in serious bother. Morrissey solid throughout (outside the silly foul for 3 times) Jack Grealish huge improvement.

Daithí immense second half. P Mannion solid second half. Moved onto Donal Burke and used the ball well coming forward. F. Burke never got into it. Linnane was a serious addition.

Joseph Cooney great throughout but a couple of hail Marys (who didn't) Monaghan good with the bad, again a few bad wides.

Glennon (point aside) not in it and too many errors. Niland one bad miss from a free otherwise solid (chipping away every game with scores from play)

Conor Cooney like TJ poor day topped of by penalty miss.

Kevin Cooney along with his brother took the battle to Dublin in the first half when few did. 3 points and 3 frees won was productive but again some stupid wides.

Not sure can much blame go on full forward line. Maybe McLoughlin. Proper ball went into him in the first half but he was out muscled pretty easily. Whelan first touch was 22mins into the game and it wasn't as if he had lost a ball just it was a game that was being shot from between the two 65s.

Concannon, Flynn (credit where it is due) help turn the tide and management can take some solace in the effectiveness of the subs.

I predicted we would win Leinster at the start if the year and still feel thats the case. Obviously a performance like yesterday and its curtains. Still have faith but it might be time to bite the bullet with a few. Concannon will start if fit. Hard to know with C. Mannion be back.

Subs that came on should be pushing hard for starts now so training should be intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Thems the boys

McHugh a big loss. Good opportunity for Hernon all the same. Surprised Maher is not starting and another shooter in Finnerty added.

Great to see Mulkerrin on the bench. It's been a long road for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Is there any word on what the issue is with McHugh, hopefully nothing serious.

Great to see Mulkerrin back involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Came off v. Tyrone with tight hamstring it was said. Probably just playing safe by not starting him. Otherwise, it's nearly our strongest line-up, attack-wise anyway I think. Presumably Walsh and Comer will interchange at will.

• Advertisement

Probably a bit too strong considering the number of games to come. You'd have thought if you were going to give a few lads a break then this would be the one. Armagh, you'll need to go full strength as they'll need the win. You'd get to see what the other lads can do without them too.

I've a feeling the Armagh vs Westmeath result put a bit of a spanner in the works in giving a few lads a run to see where we are. Probably going all out now to win the three and get the little break that comes with it.

But as you pointed out a win tomorrow and then a loss might stretch us with the number of games to plat especially if we pick up any injuries. A one point win and no injuries would be enough tomorrow for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

On the face of it I'd have Maher in instead of Conroy but the management team know better, they're observing these lads in training... Conroy will hardly get the full 70 mins anyway

We still need to finish top so we can't necessarily be starting the weaker members of the panel like Conneely and Paul Kelly just yet. If Tyrone win tomorrow and we get the job done we'll be in a safer position come final game of the group to rest lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Not really….Armagh beat us the following week and you have 3 teams on 4 points.

Safer not safe. But if they had 4 points going into the Armagh match then you'd hope some fringe players make the most of an opportunity to fight into the starting 15. There's still 4 or 5 spots for the taking yet.

No Comer. Sweeney in instead. Comer fine in the warm up.

What happened to Finnerty? Saw he went off injured hopefully not serious....

Sounds like we are struggling a bit

Breeze is strong. We've cut them open quite a bit just not converted.

Finnerty is an ankle injury. Pitch is tarmac hard. Ian Burke hurt his too.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it isn't too serious he's had a bit of trouble with ankle injuries before I think

Advertisement