Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yes it does. And that's the goal Leinster set for themselves at the start of the year, which they failed to do

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

A lot of other teams have starters from a variety of international squads, hand picked to fill a specific playing style.

Either way, for the second year in a row a big part of me thinks the international aspect hurts our season end. These lads are peaking for the six nations and look spent by the club playoffs.

POM barely makes it through games, Beirne was out for months, Henderson, Bealham etc.

Not machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Happens fairly frequently. Pretty sure the Leinster players didn't accept their runners up medals last season either. Probably most famously was when England didn't win the world cup.

It's a symbol that you failed. Or at least, that's the mindset the pros take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hang on

They did accept their medals. They just weren't placed over their heads which never happens for the losing side. You just made that up.

But no one is saying the players wouldn't be bitterly disappointed so I'm not sure what you're even arguing. Of course they would be gutted.

What people are saying is that they're failures and that's not acceptable to me. That is not support. It's the exact opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's not a crusade! He's too old and is blocking development. What is he 36?

Liam Molony, Aitzol King, COT, McElroy, Boyle, Brownlee? Culhane, Tector, Sam P. I think that the lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I did wonder was part of the problem that this Leinster team seem to have hardly any troughs. It's normal in sport for teams or individuals to fluctuate in performance levels throughout the season. Maybe you need that dip down to a 5 or 6 out of 10 performance every now and then to be able to get up to that 9 out of 10 performance when it matters.

This Leinster team don't really have bad games during the regular season. Maybe one or two games a year. But thy're always just churning out 8 out of 10 performances and putting up big scores.

Is it kind of the same problem the All Blacks had at RWCs for a long time?

I'm not saying they are failures. Some of these players have multiple medals. I'm trying to say the ending result for Leinster is a failure. No matter how great we were previous to the last month, we were poor when it mattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It is a crusade the way you are going on. He will be 36 by time next season starts. He isnt really blocking players

There will be loads of game time for younger players to develop

Who is he blocking?

• Advertisement

He's still performing. He's likely to go to the World Cup, and I reckon he has another season in him.

If you want the path to be clear for Milne and Boyle Healy could be switched full time to tighthead. I didn't catch all the Sharks quarter-final, but am I right to think Healy was pretty impressive in the scrum at tighthead in that game?

I made nothing up. I specifically said they didn't accept them out around their neck, just like last season.

Leinster played well for the majority of this season; just like last season. And again they came away with nothing. They'll see that as a failure in their own eyes. There's nothing wrong with that or in fans assessing the season that way.

We all know there's the other element of people wanting to rip the piss. Just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Leinster are an absolute joy to watch. Rugby of the highest, highest quality, right on our doorstep. We're absolutely spoiled.

The last 2 seasons have been cruel at the business end for us, but I'm a firm believer that you learn more in defeat than victory. I'd say the players and management are gutted, but I hope they know how much joy they bring. We feel everything with them.

I just hope we go full tilt at everything next year. Season ticket holders pay good money and show up week in, week out. Lets show them and the URC the respect they deserve, and give it everything at the business end next year.

Sport, break your heart, but ye couldn't live without it.....

But that's just it. They don't learn enough. Or if they do they haven't been able to implement solutions.

2019 - lose the Final to Saracens. Okay, it's a one-off game away from home against a formidable outfit. If they got the same opposition at home the following year they'd win, right? Especially if they had Alex Goode at 10 because Farrell was banned and were missing George Kruis.

2020 - lose the quarter-final to Saracens, having been down 3-22 or whatever it was at the break. Okay, we can put this one largely down to the scrum getting destroyed. Everything else is going well. With Saracens out of the picture for a few seasons it would be a golden opportunity to win next time out

2021 - lose the semi final to La Rochelle. Okay, this was a tough away semi-final. Leinster would learn from it and if they met the same team again they'd make a better fist of it

2022 - lose the final to La Rochelle having been 16-point favourites and been 8 points up around the hour mark. They'd definitely learn from this one, right? They only lost by a point away in France to a late try that came after a few Leinster mistakes. If they got the same opposition at home the following year they'd definitely be able to get over the line, right?

2023 - Well, we know what happens here

I think Leinster learned from both La Rochelle defeats. The problem was that in the meantime, La Rochelle deconstructed our game plan as well. Leinster play excellent rugby, but it has been a settled style, outside of new strike plays, for a number of years now. It seems like La Rochelle have just worked out how we play.

In 2021 they murdered us at the ruck. Leinster simply couldn't gain momentum in attack.

In 2022 it's clear that Leinster had adapted and cleared the ruck with greater ferocity. But La Rochelle targeted Leinster's lineout and stole our attacking platform. They also gave away kickable penalties just outside the 22 and baited Leinster into taking the points rather than go for the line.

Last week, and all season really, Leinster's lineout has performed well and we've launched so many excellent set piece moves from it. We had a more solid lineout, actually went for the line and scored trys where last season we had none. All major improvements over 2022.

But La Rochelle then showed up Leinster's exit strategy. That has been a major strength this season, but was turned into a weakness. They put a lot of pressure on Lowe and JGP. When they started fluffing kicks it was the time for someone else to step in. But we had nobody. Yes, with a few cleaner kicks and actually taking a drop goal, we probably win the game. But La Rochelle again found a weakness and exploited it.

That's why the change in coaches is no bad thing. Will bring a fresh set of eyes into the fold to assess where we're weak and hopefully make Leinster's systems harder for opposition analysts to get a read on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

No one is saying they are failures though, most of the team have a shiny new grand slam medal in their pocket. The Leinster season is a failure, losing out closely at the death in both competitions is not meeting the standards they’ve set for themselves.

Sexton is obviously the major name on that list of departures, but Dave Kearney's exit is pretty significant for Leinster as well. He's a solid, experienced hand that you can rely upon to play well in the league and fill a gap in Europe if needed. We lost one of those in ROL last year and are doing it again.

It's a bit of a punt on the next generation of players and hopefully one that works out.

Boyle. He's not even a starter. Seriously, he's not the player he once was.

I don't doubt that lads like Russell and T.O.B can fill in very well. There's such good talent in the squad. You could even see Osborne on the wing or at fb if needed.

I reckon scrum half is lacking depth. I'm unsure if Foley will pan out. We will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

La Rochelle didn't really do much to cause those poor clearances tho. Lowe's slice was the only one that came from any serious rush. I thought we were better across the board. We stole a rake of ball, were more incisive when attacking. We just stopped doing it at all in the 2nd half, kicked everything. Poorly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yet he is still better than what’s ahead of him. For both Leinster and Ireland it would seem. Coaches don’t pick players on sentiment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If Zebre had been within a point of a European Cup it would have been an overwhelming success.

Leinster have loftier goals so not achieving any of them is abject failure.

Have you had a look at how many minutes the starters for each team in the final had under their belt by the time the final whistle went? And La Rochelle still have at least one, probably two games left which they'll need to play their best 23 in.

They did have relatively bad games at several points in the season. They still won, usually with a bonus point, which can't be good preparation.

I think everyone has worked out how we play. La Rochelle are the only team that can do anything about it though.

Minutes on the pitch don't account for intensity or frequency of action. Similarly - they don't account for the type of mental and emotional investment that comes with the acute end of elite sport. I'd be interested to see the comparisons all the same if you'd like to share!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭conquestscarer

One Thing I will say about Healy is that everytime I see pictures of training he is always talking to younger players, seems to be a great lad to have around in that regard. Also still seems to be our only second-choice prop who can hold up a scrum.

What's the story with Boyle? Do they just want him to bulk up abit more before throwing him in? My mate was saying he tore up all the AIL games he played in this season and I thought he looked good in his cameo's in the URC. He could have arguably done more at Scrum time, but the frontrow he was in wasn't going to do much there anyway. Hope he gets a serious look in next season as I'm not sure giving Ed Byrne minutes who is a known entity at this stage is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'd imagine Healy will take on more of a squad player role next season, a bit like Dev in his last season. Milne may well take his spot on the bench for the big games. But Healy will probably finish up with Ireland after the RWC, so he'll be a good guy to have playing the URC games, covering both sides and mentoring the younger props.

• Advertisement

In 2021 and 2022 our exit kicks didn't perform. We need to start looking at a different strategy of exiting I think because in my opinon it's the most important and hardest part of the game. If we exited properly in the second half in 2022 and 2023 we would have won both. The JGP box kicks this year were horrific and didn't work, no idea why we kept doing it.

Can argue about the Lineout all day but the amount of penos La Rochelle gave us in kickable places that we could have stuck in the corner and used the lineout last year was comical. Our Attacking Maul was functioning last year against them and we didn't use it.

Advertisement