Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

Offaly only drew today with Laois I wasn't expecting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Parkinson put up it was a very poor quality game & Offaly missed loads of chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭rrs

Derry beat Donegal 9 pts to 4 in the Minor Semi. 25 minutes before Donegal got their first score.

Considering the minors were training 4 days a week, an awful lot for children of 15 and 16, you’d wonder what exactly is being done.

The race to have more training sessions than anyone else isn’t exactly working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

It's probably not fair to judge whether something is working on just one year. It will be looked at over a 3-5 year period.

Losing 2 games by a point to Tyrone and Donegal is probably considered an improvement at this stage given that Fermanagh completely dominated us in 2021 in Breffni and went on to lose by a cricket score to Tyrone.

I'm not overly worried by the form of the Seniors in the TC yet anyway. They just need to get through these group matches. Constantly playing these lose-lose games can't be easy. Peak for the semi and final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I wouldn’t be taking too much to heed from him. Laois blew a 6 point lead going into the closing stages and kicked far more wide in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭rrs

They shouldn't be conceding 2 goals against London. They are putting up decent scores but it's a bad habit of conceding goals. When they reach the knockout stages better teams will punish that.

Down scored 2-18 in Thurles today and just 6pts conceded

Down definitely seem like the form team and would be a handful in Croke Park if we end up meeting them.

Very little to be gained by being in top gear at this stage though. There's still 2 months until the final if we get there.

About the Down game, i think you can definitely say that they are up for this, but also Tipp are an absolute shambles at the moment. There was only 3 points between them in the league game but Tipp have gone from bad to worse and will probably not be too bothered if they miss out on going any further in this competition. It's been a disastrous year for them.

I would be very concerned about our inability to keep a clean sheet. Am i right that this year only Longford and Offaly have failed to score a goal against us?

Saturday was almost a perfect example of a "lose-lose" game for Cavan. In terms of intensity and work rate, Cavan's performance was much better than the lacklustre Laois first half. The intention to dominate the game was there, even against a very strong breeze. The goal chances came from long balls that completely cleaned out very high agressive pressing. In fact the first goal came from Paddy Lynch cutting in from the end line and fisting the ball against the post and with two clearances it was 2 on 2 and then the ball was in the net. I don't think against a more seasoned team we would have pushed that high.

I was fairly impressed with London's pace and counterattack game. They were more organised than Laois and if they played with that level of intensity (which went unchecked by a very lacklustre referee) they should give Laois a game of it.

• Advertisement

Having been at the game, there's no way management or team going through the motions. In fact, it was a more impressive performance than the Laois game (which someone noted above, was riddled with basic handling errors, misplaced passes and walking tempo). The worry was that in taking a high press we were so exposed to long kick passes. London sat deep, were very patient and then broke with pace. I would say the 5 goal chances is stretching it a bit. The one that hit the post from a 45 the ball was already out. I would have 3 goal chances, two taken (second one was taken really well) and two breaks that were well dealt with.

Having said that, if Cavan set up like that against Down (for example) it would be a bloodbath, so one would hope that McVeety is back if we have to play them, as Conor Brady doesn't fill me with confidence as a inter county centre half back. I think he's a fine footballer, and is often the best midfielder at club level but as yet he's not doing enough to make an impression on county matches.

In terms of players coming back from injury, Moynagh was on the match day squad (in place of Gerry Smith) as was Caoihim McGovern (replacing Conor Smith). McKenna, McVeety and Jason all doing gruelling drills before the game. Can't be too far away but no point rushing McVeety until he's 100%. For what it's worth, I don't think Paddy Lynch is 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Did I nod off or was there no highlights on either the Saturday or Sunday game ?

Are there any highlights anywhere else ? The only things I can find are those spam links that likely want you install software on your computer and charge a ransom to get it off again.

Is the next game this weekend coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Don't think so. Looked like there were cameras the far side of the stand but more for video analysis for teams than TV production. I could be wrong, but didn't see enough equipment for highlights. Wasn't on GAAGO and would imagine the cost of sending cameras etc over wouldn't make sense for a second round Tailteann match.

When do they announce the venues for the neutral last round?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,002 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Copied from the All Ireladn thread.

Tailteann cup venues and throw in times for the round 3 matches.

Saturday 3rd June

Cavan v Offaly - Pearse Park 3pm

Laois v London - Parnell Park 3pm

Meath v Down - Parnell Park 1pm on GAAGO

Tipp v Waterford - Páirc Uí Chaoimh 1pm

Sunday June 4th 

Limerick v Wicklow - O' Moore Park 1pm

Longford v Carlow - O'Moore Park 3pm

Wexford v Leitrim - Parnell Park 3pm 

Fermanagh v Antrim - Athletic Grounds 3pm 

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Miller quit Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Seemingly so yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone know why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

He's a massive loss if true,I still think long-term at IC that he's a better option in the fullforward line where his power and skill causes miss matches and chaos in there.

We are very short on midfield options this year now.

I assume Killian Clarke will have to revert back to midfield against Offaly,

Or will we see Ryan O Donohoe allowed to stake his claim?

David Brady and Brian O Rourke are injured and Enda Maguire seemed to have completely fallen away after a very promising start( maybe he's injured??)

Never nice to see anyone dropping off the panel but especially disappointing to see a guaranteed starting player leave. Hopefully James is ok and that this isn't a permanent departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

He played for his club this evening.

He wanted to travel last Summer to America and they had a tough job getting him to stay. Looks like they haven’t succeeded this year.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

That's not what I heard but i guess we won't get much information from the Cavan camp unless something has changed. He's a top class footballer but I don't think he's been near fit I know he was only coming back through the league but he's been very indifferent this year.

Massive headache for us in what already was a problem area. Since Clarke has gone into the full backs we've struggled to win any breaking ball in there. Who starts a the weekend in there with Gearoid? Donohoe or is McKenna fit? He looked more or less ready in the pre-London game warm ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

They are aswell to throw in one of Gaffney or Donohoe to hell and give them a chance. This Tailteann thing isn't looking good for us, our form is indifferent and I just dont see a kick in us at the moment

Who is Gaffney?

As soon as we meet a half competent team we will be beat going by last few performances.

That’s the thing about this competition, there’s not many sides like that in the Tailteann. I wouldn’t be panicking just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

That's a good question. He works in the office here with me. I was thinking about how much of a pain he was when writing that post and wrote his name instead of McKenna. 😂

• Advertisement

Advertisement