Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya but it didn't happen for Wexford and Dublin didn't make the final.

I bet if one of those happens it's different.

And in fairness despite being "so important" the people of Leinster didn't seem to pushed to go to the games. Not exactly selling that importance thing very well.

It is and always has been but shure look people need their straws to clutch at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Not meaning to pick on you in particular, as its a valid point, but is it possible to have a thread about the action on the pitch and a separate one where we can debate the TV coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

The limerick fans feeling hard done by are funny.

As other posters have said, They have been tactically fouling for years. Combine this with multiple head high challenges, they can have no complaints.

The higher free count for cork is because they were getting fouled more, same as the every opposition that limerick play.

this is nothing new - Kiely has been trying to push the narrative to ‘let the game flow’ for years, when limerick try everything in their power to do the opposite.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0614/1228062-hegarty-admits-limerick-had-to-tackle-high-free-count/

Either stop the relentless fouling or suck it up and accept that you will be called on the frees. You cant have it both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

If they are all at it why the endless whining from Cork lads today about one that didnt go their way for once. Gillane was held before he grabbed the hurley. Smart play of you ask me. The full back thinks he can hold but the forward cant - why is that? Maybe they should just try to play the ball instead of the man all the time. truth is they know Gillane would destroy them if they had to play hurling with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

? They finished on 4 points, ahead of Cork 3 and Waterford 2. Beat Offaly and they're in an all Ireland quarter final. Let's not forget that up until 4pm yesterday Limerick were saying that 3rd place qualifying might suit them best, give them a chance to regroup etc. Now bejesus they're making out that qualifying for a munster final is the best thing that ever happened to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

We are happy enough with how yesterday played out. Its everyone else who is cherry picking the incidents that suit their biased narrative

Apologies.

Couldnt help but get the feeling that there was a systematic injustice being perpetuated on Limerick to keep them down and they were not getting a fair shake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Much more at stake in Leinster, actually.

A Leinster championship without Wexico in the top tier would make it weaker than it already is. The inability to ever accept graciously an All-Ireland champion from outside the 'cauldron' would be more tiresome than it already is.

As real hurling people know, KK vs WX is as important a neighbour rivalry as any in Munster or anywhere else. With so much at stake, yesterday was therefore predictable too, and it has come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Had a look at the Sunday Game just now and hard to believe how poor Tipp were. Granted the highlights were only a few minutes but the amount of times Waterford men were in acres of space or running past Tipp opponents and leaving them for dead was surprising. Tipp the only team out of 10 yesterday in the Leinster and Munster championship to not raise a green flag either. Just a real flat bad day at the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭tranquilo

Limerick this, Limerick that, Limerick are filth, blah blah blah... the same bitter opposing fans at it time and time again. A broken record at this stage.

Fact of the matter is Limerick have been living rent free in your heads for years now. And yesterday they were supposed to finish 3rd and be out of Munster, but now they're in with a chance of 5 Munsters in a row... and it absolutely sickens ye 😂

If your own counties were like them ye would defend them to the wire and have no complaints. They're an incredible team with incredible resilience and mental strength. They also play some absolutely class hurling

Munster hurling 5 in a rows don't come around too often. Cork have done it twice last from '75 - '79. Tipp have never managed to do four on the spin. So it's a great chance for Limerick to equal Cork's record and who knows go on and beat it next year perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

The worst refereeing call I saw this weekend was for Galway's goal against Dublin the fella took a thousand steps before batting it across for the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What is it with Limerick and this constant need for affirmation! Ye have a great team why not enjoy that. Being bitter in defeat is kind of understandable but being bitter in victory is just weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭chases0102

Great day yesterday. Felt Limerick just about deserved it.

Focussing on ref can seem very petty. As someone mentioned, the tv replays only really show a snapshot of what is going on all over the field. Penalty seemed soft. However Cork got some very soft frees, I felt, particularly in 2nd half. So swings and roundabouts, as ever in Championship hurling.

Great Cork crowd, as ever.

Some incredible display of shooting from Cork in first half. If Limerick had that accuracy.....

What a day, took a while to come down after it.

Roll on 11th June.

I kind of know how you feel.

The amount of petty bitterness we in Kilkenny had to listen to for years from other counties, especially Munster ones obviously, was something else.

To see them on PROC, thrashing around over the grass in Croke Park being cut deliberately long, to suit Kilkenny. Great stuff.

But it wasn't easy I can tell you, winning 11 out of the first 15 All-Irelands of the 21st Century. Not saying that kind of success will happen again of course.

We got through it though, and you will too.

Maybe JP might throw in a few bob to a counselling fund for ye ? What's another million to the great man ?

😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Limerick are a great team, they use every trick in the book and were better than Cork overall I thought but it is annoying to hear their fans talking about soft frees etc. for the reasons I mentioned in my post, with a competent ref Limerick would be gone from the Championship  

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

As a referee theres a lot of players ducking down their heads and catching the hurley under their chin or arm looking for handy frees these days.

Feigning injury then to get their opponent a yellow card.

Needs to be stamped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Nobody cared about relegation in Leinster last year - who was looking for Laois-Westmeath to be televised? The only reason people are highlighting it now is because Wexford were involved and playing Kilkenny. If it were Antrim-Westmeath you'd be quite content for it not to be on TV.

Varadker and Martin do what politicians do and reflect the public mood. I'm sure if there's enough people bothered by the absence of the Leinster relegation games from TV it will emerge as an issue of public discussion.

This will be the 8th Munster final between Clare and Limerick with Limerick leading 6-1 up to now. Clare's only win coming in 1995. Limerick by far the dominant side in this big rivalry.

'Wexford were involved and playing Kilkenny'.

That has radically more serious implications and connotations than Antrim or Westmeath have ever had. With respect to them.

I'm confident in saying that Varadkar and Martin know as much, and therefore as little, about that as each other.

The foolishness lies in expecting anything much from the national broadcaster.

I'm not even from Limerick. Wexford are my county. Don't get me started on us 😂

Just don't like the bitterness and obvious jealousy on display due to their dominance and recent success

Ah the aul JP lines. Very original 👍😂

Sher I heard half the team were manufactured in a lab in Switzerland. Very unfair on the rest of us

Probably due to people like yourself constantly trolling our thread.

Ye do all seem a bit obsessed.

And they were already showing a Leinster match.

People seem to think RTE are gonna hand over 3 channels so everyone can see the 3 Leinster matches.

The person Rosita was responding to did not 'seem' to think that, nor ask for that, nor anything like it. Nor did anyone else.

KK v WX is not any 'Leinster match', and the implications of it yesterday were pretty serious. And there was little doubt it was going spicy, as it was.

The national broadcaster ought to know that, or do they have Munster goggles on as well ?

The Galway match is the last one I would have picked but yes many people have complained that it wasn't also on or on GAAgo.

Antrim vs Westmeath was the one that really had the most at stake but I suppose they don't have the profile.

• Advertisement

Have Rte ever articulated why they never show the other match on RTE news now or one of their ghost stations?

Advertisement