Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Does Tesla publish the intervention rates for FSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

Talk to any Tesla technician and they will tell you there is daylight between the quality of the MIC and the Fremont cars. I do accept though US manufactured cars have had significant improvements in quality in recent years.

Not really sure what those German stats are meant to represent, but the JD Power is quite telling given it covers the larger US market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The German stats are for breakdowns by car year, ADAC are the German equivalent of AA. This is the first year BEVs have been around long enough in enough numbers to be included and they are all doing well. Be interesting to see how they do as they age.

Thought there was some issue with Tesla and JD power surveys around gathering the info, some states opt out I think. Tesla as a brand also includes the far less reliable S and X.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

People have coped on

Its fantasy self driving at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Certainly at the price they charge in regions where it can be used properly, and where theres no radar or lidar. I genuinely am intrigued by FSD, but real FSD where I can drive to the pub, have 10 pints and the car can drive me home, legally and on the insurance of the manufacturer not mine - since I'm not driving I cant be liable.

Tesla FSD is a money making sham, even the US videos of people who have the beta and have tested the waymo driverless cabs (that exist today and are in operation) say its night and day. Waymos cars are driving themselves as we speak with no driver and with customers in the back seat. Just like the example I describe above. You can be drunk and get in the back.

Yep the way it's marketed is a scam

It's a driving aid like cruise control or auto parking, that's it, its never gonna drive you home on it's own legally, it's a fairytale to believe so

Only way any FSD will ever work is if humans are banned from driving alongside computers, with chaos theory humans can't be trusted

I fully expect a city to be FSD with the only cars on the road being controlled by computers, humans and machine will never drive alongside each other legally imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It is a scam insofar buyers have paid for it up front for many years and Tesla never fulfilled the promise, I would wager there are thousands of Tesla FSD purchasers who have subsequently sold the car and never got the benefit of it.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Meant to say, as a software company FSD should be optional to a Tesla account so could be transferred to other Tesla purchases, then early "adopters" could benefit with subsequent Tesla purchase

Yes the fact it doesnt move with the person is scandalous tbh.

The cars are further away from fulfilling FSD than they were 2 years ago IMO. The move to camera only is a retrograde step, a 2D step in a 4k UHD world

Nobody is watching a few vids from my recent link then? 😂

And yes, FSD is a grossly inappropriate term for what Tesla are selling. The cars with FSD are level 2 autonomous driving, same as a boggo €40k Model 3 with standard "auto pilot". The software is beta and Tesla is not taking any responsibility. The driver is responsible at all times.

That said, the cars can and do fully drive themselves. If you don't believe me, just watch those videos. Seriously.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Don't think you should be calling something a fantasy when you are presented with video evidence. I agree with other posters that it's very scam like in how they've been selling it to people. I'd be very interested in FSD as a feature but in only in the scenario @ELM327 describes where the car takes full control and the manufacturer takes responsibility for it's actions. Where I think Tesla have been acting in a scammy manner is the selling of FSD. Taking monthly fee's from people in the USA without giving them access to the Beta, selling it to current owners in Europe when it's only adding automatic lane changing and traffic light control.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

All the recent iterations of FSD I have watched are from sunny states where the roads are wide, no roundabouts, done in daytime driving, no rain, good road markings, few pedestrians. Even with all those things in it's favour it's not good. It's quite hesitant. Regularly **** the bed. Place it in europe where generally streets are much narrower, lots of pedestrians, lots of 'jaywalking' , zebra crossings, motorbikes, electric scooters, cyclists, regular varying levels of precipitation, more road sign variations, sometimes poor road markings, it's going to fail miserably.

A camera only system will never achieve FSD. More sensors like 360 lidar, USS, and UHD cameras are needed. Lidar sensors are currently quite expensive and only fitted to some high priced cars, when the cost reduces in the years to come we might see more progression in this area.

In saying that though I would never want to use FSD for driving in this chaotic world, there are too many variables and probabilities to trust it. I would trust being a passenger in the likes of a waymo taxi in a city where speed limits are max 40km/h.

They cannot fully drive themselves. They can drive under supervision in good lighting and well marked roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

I don't even like being in a commercial airplane with a low/zero vis autoland. And they keep traffic separation of a number of kilometres. Plus usually two monitoring in the cockpit and a team on the ground.

I don't wish to be in a self driving car often only a foot or so from other vehicles..

Video evidence of what? The car driving itself while a driver is ready to jump in?

It's a driving assist, yes? That's all?

It's marked as something that will some day drive you around the place legally, to believe that is fantasy

So no, i'll keep calling it fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah but don't give any drink to the robot-they’ll start a row in a second, nothing worse than a rowdy robot!, 🤖🦾

They'll kill you and everyone else in the pub, drink all the booze and then go home to bed to make a million more robots 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's way beyond the capability of driver assist systems, to me it's at the level of a learner driver in a dual control vehicle. Would you claim a learner in that position isn't driving and is merely an assist for the instructor?

If I could change back to AP1 in my 2022 M3 I would in a heartbeat, much better than whatever I have now even though first implemented in 2015 in a Tesla

I'll take you seriously when you tell me where Tesla publish their intervention stats and if those show they had less interventions than other makers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Genuine question…:do any brands publish their intervention stats? My 530e was having a Mikey fit on the M50 today!

Waymo and all the self driving aspirants do. Years ago, Apple were lobbying so as to be allowed to not provide such information or for it to be made public. I don't think they succeeded, so I believe it's a requirement:

California requires automakers, technology companies and startups that test their self-driving vehicles on public roads to provide an annual compilation of miles traveled in autonomous mode and the number of “disengagements.”

So Tesla not publishing such figures means they are not participating at the level that triggers the requirement as it's not really self driving, it's just a massive marketing gimmick.

For reference, in Norway, humans manage to drive 600 million km between fatalities - thats some distance past the orbit of Jupiter. Humans can actually be incredibly good at driving.

Tesla doesn't need to publish it's stats because the FSD Beta programme wasn't considered to be under the remit of the autonomous testing safety regulations. The other companies probably wouldn't either if they could get away with it. It's a real weakness of US style regulatory systems where they allow a company to self report capabilities whilst blatantly doing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

Tesla has started using BYD blade batteries for the Model Y electric crossovers produced at the Berlin gigafactory, resulting in a significant increase in charging speeds.

Until recently, another Chinese battery maker CATL was the sole supplier of batteries for the Model Y in Europe, but in early May it was reported that Tesla had started using BYD as a second supplier.

Interesting charging stats if they stack up in real world performance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This was announced last year. Seemly 55 kWh packs with reduced range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

This is a key point, which would affect sales of FSD, even where the buyer is genuinely interested - FSD currently has a resale value of zero. You lose $15k or whatever it is, on the day you collect the car

Indeed, Musk got involved in a tweet storm last week where a customer showed him an email from a Tesla service center, who had offered the usual lowball trade-in price, and said that the fact the car had FSD ‘would not alter the offered price’.

Realistically, outside of American highways and suburbs, it’s a long (looong) way away still, from its current level 2 driver assistant level. Never mind a genuine level 3 licence.

can you imagine buying it in Ireland, never mind Indonesia or somewhere?! Yet they’ll actively sell it to you. It’s genuinely criminal

Advertisement