Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Six months ago Sexton was named in the World Rugby team of 2022. Since then he captained Ireland to a Grand Slam.

The least you could do when taking the piss is pick out a player that hasn't obviously been brilliant for the last year.

Sexton is clearly coming to the end of his career and his body doesn't hold up as well as it used to. But he's the best 10 in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Mad that this could even be questioned. Think he'd walk into any international team bar France.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ouch! Should be a great series. I hope they organize another emerging tour. Seriously good opportunity to give the tykes a run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don’t see how anyone can watch ross byrne play and crowley play and think its likely that byrne holds onto the job much longer than the world cup. Maybe one more six nations? Crowley just has more upside and has already performed in big games. Byrne is probably the better choice for the world cup.

I’d still say Harry Byrne has a chance. Frawley is obviously liked by irish management. Prendergast hasn’t really played but i guess he has a shot too.

I think if Crowley played for Leinster, he would be the absolute favourite to start for ireland (if sexton was out) by an absolute mile. Most of the backs being leinster players and ireland playing a system way closer to leinster than munster is a big advantage to R Byrne in the short term. He knows the plays and the players intimately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I'd prefer to see Murray start with JGP on the bench.

Murray has had a great finish to the season. Reacted really well to being dropped by Munster. Has shown, given the proper game plan he can play with speed. Kicks better than JGP, tackles better than JGP, defensively superior than JGP. Up against the bigger pack that SA will bring to the world cup I can see Murray starting like he did in November.

In the south africa game last year, we played murray and box kicked contestable way more than usual as i think we were concerned about kicking long to their back 3. JGP was just back from injury so maybe that was the deciding factor, but its possible that murray gets picked for tactical reasons regardless vs south africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don’t see how anyone can watch ross byrne play and crowley play and think its likely that byrne holds onto the job much longer than the world cup.

The World Cup is all that matters for the next six months. We can worry about the 6N come January.

The 'system' argument is a load of bollocks. Crowley was in the squad in November, he was in the 6N squad, he'll be named in the training squad tomorrow. He's absolutely fine with the 'system'.

How the **** would playing with a ton of the same backline in a similar system not be an advantage in selection?

Provincial blinders or just complete lack of knowledge of how rugby works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Its also worth noting that since the Sharks mauled munster in the champions cup. They have played South African opposition 3 times and Murray has started 3 times and casey has gotten a combined total of less than 30 minutes in those 3 games. I think they identified they needed a more physical player at 9 too against that opposition

• Advertisement

See my ninja edit above. Crowley has had plenty of time to pick up the Ireland system (more than Byrne in fact).

If he can't figure it out, as you assert, then that's a pretty damning indictment of his ability. I disagree though, I think he'll be fine.

He played one game for ireland where the 9 skipped him for an entire half. He obviously has not picked up the system. And i wouldn’t expect him to in that amount of game time in that system with those players.

Munster and Leinster do not play similar systems and Leinster’s is WAY WAY closer to Ireland’s system with almost all the same players. Of course Byrne would have more familiarity.

I’m going to guess provincial blinders on this one.

People know this will work the other way too right? If casey and crowley are ireland 9/10 two years from now, it is then relatively easier for munster backs to get in the team.

They would perform better because their half backs are better, they would have better chemistry and the system would probably start skewing that way. Not the absolute deciding factor but absolutely a factor.

Murray is still far too slow. A lot of good carries in the final were wasted because he took an age behind the rucks. He certainly improved playing in green this past year, but I wouldn't want him starting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I suspect if that does come to pass that reason won't wash on here all of a sudden! 😄

This skit about the nasty Leinster boys not playing nice with little Jack absolutely cracks me up. Utterly shameless.

Crowley has been in Ireland camp for long enough, plus the Emerging Ireland tour, to know exactly what he should be doing. I think he's good enough to do so, but you don't.

You're accusing me of provincial blinders when you're the one dumping all over the guy from your own province. I think he's doing fine.

I don’t really understand if you are intentionally misunderstanding or if you are dense.

JGP skipped him cos the coaches told him to. I thought that was obvious.

An EI tour and starting one game will not get you anywhere close to comfortable enough to run the system as well as someone like byrne who plays with all the same players in almost the same system. The very fact that he was on an emerging ireland tour in the same year shows that as well. They see him as a developmental player. Of course though he would be farther along if he played in a similar system and with tons of irish players every week with his club.

How in the name of christ is this a controversial thing to say? Can you like step back and just think about it for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If there are a bunch of players selected tomorrow who have never played European or Knockout rugby and the likes of Hodnett and Kleyn are left out, then it's an awful omen for the RWC in 6 months time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Will Carbery get picked in the training squad?

I saw his name pop up as part of the 30 man travelling squad to Cape Town.

I hadn't heard his name mentioned at Munster since his last game v Sharks

22 v Sharks 8mins. Crowley 10/12, 72/8mins - April 1st

10 v Glasgow 62mins. Crowley 12/10, 62/18mins – MAR 25th

10 v Scarlets 53mins. Crowley 22, 27mins – MAR 3rd

10/15 v Ospreys 53/27mins. G.Scott 22, 27mins – FEB 17th

10/15 v Benetton 30/50mins. G.Scott 22, 50mins – JAN 28th

10 v Toulouse 50mins. G.Scott 22, 20mins. Crowley 12/10, 70/10mins – JAN 22nd

DROPPED from IRELAND Squad – JANUARY 19th

RESTED v Lions. Great Scott 10, 80mins – JAN 6th

RESTED v Ulster. Crowley 10, 80mins – JAN 1st

10 v Leinster 64mins. Crowley 12, 80mins – DEC 26th

10 v Northampton 69mins. Crowley 12, 54mins – DEC 18th

10 v Toulouse 80mins. Crowley 22, 29mins – DEC 11th

10 v Edinburgh 80mins. Crowley 22, 23mins – DEC 2nd

10 v Connacht 80mins. Crowley 22, 38mins – NOV 26th

IRELAND: v Aus Crowley 10 73mins. Hero Byrne 22, 7mins – NOV 19th

IRELAND: 10 v Fiji HIA 46mins Replaced by Crowley – NOV 12th

IRELAND: 22 v SA 3mins – NOV 5th

Carbery hasn't played in 8 weeks. & only 123mins in the last 14 weeks. Harry Byrne has played 422mins in the last 14 weeks.

If I was taking a punt on the training squad: Sexton, Crowley, Byrne x2

You think it's "obvious" that in Carbery's absence, Farrell looked past the guy who, according to you, could have just slotted in seamlessly because "the system", then went out on a limb to pick a guy with who was still in single figures for provincial starts... and then told the other players that they weren't to pass to him?!

That is not remotely plausible. It was an invention to explain away a pretty average performance by Crowley.

You have a very, very low opinion of Crowley. Why do you think he is incapable of playing in the Ireland system?

• Advertisement

I think its obvious they overlooked byrne because he isn’t really an international talent but they don’t have anyone else with enough experience in the system or just experience in general this close to the world cup. They gave up on carbery because he has been poor for a long time.

Your POV is that there would be no difference in Crowley’s readiness to play for ireland if he played for leinster vs munster. That’s ridiculous on its face.

You just are a fan and anything that you see as against your province is a grievance that you need to fight.

I never said Crowley played well against Australia or that he should start now. Can you introduce me to the person you are arguing against? Because it isn’t me.

Nah, it probably means the coaches think they are better players, with higher ceilings, or bring more to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Anybody got stats on Crowley vs Byrne, place-kicking accuracy, this season?

I reckon that's about the only dimension Byrne might still be ahead.

Otherwise, Byrne will not be selected just because he's the "safe" option. That's not how Faz has played, nor succeeded, with this Irish team. It's not how Munster won the URC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Crowleys percentage for the URC was 63% think Byrnes was mid 80’s somewhere. It was 85% for the ERC. Kicking is definitely one thing that might hamper Crowleys chances.

In fairness to Ross Byrne, he had a fantastic season and Farrell won't forget that based on the LAR game.

Whichever of them gets the nod will be the guy who performs better for Farrell between now and September.

So if that's Byrne, it's because he's the better option. Not safer, nothing to do with systems, nothing to do with Lancaster. Likewise if it's Crowley, we'll know he's backed up his club form with displays in the camps and that would be awesome too.

It's great to have genuine options. Assuming the loser is still travelling as third choice, we will be a lot better off than in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Would love see Kleyn get rewarded with a call-up, he's been phenomenal for Munster this year. Haley, Coombes and Hodnett might get a look-in also.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Crowley's professional career kicking percentage is over 80% up to the URC semi final

But he has only taken just under 50 kicks

If you look at individual comps, the numbers are so low that they're heavily skewed by a small number of kicks

Ross Byrne's career average kicking percentage is also, just about 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Quiz time

Will northern Englishman Andy Farrell be selecting the Ireland squad based on...

A) What he and his coaching staff think gives Ireland the best chance of winning a World Cup

B) His love of those privately educated South Dublin schoolboys

Those who guess the right answer win a lifetime supply of flat whites and a €100 Donnybrook Fair voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've been mentioning Haley's & Kleyn's names that should be in the squad but Coombes & Hodnett wouldn't be out of place there either

Definitely the last few weeks must have stood to them.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen anything from Coombes that would suggest he's good enough for a spot. Just an extremely whelming player

Advertisement