Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madeleine McCann

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• I wish this thread would get a little back on track. Definitely the McCanns & friends made consistently bad choices in looking after their kids and I can only imagine their children in future will express criticism at how they came to lose a sibling, the way offspring can & do get annoyed with parents. However I think we’ve got the hang of this: a somewhat majority agree on this, a somewhat minority disagree, not that anyone here would wish to have happened what did happen.

The practicalities of how the perpetrator went about his crime, the opportunities he may have had for one reason or another, is really what remains at investigation now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭reclose

Yes the person who took her is obviously the main reason. I doubt anyone disputes that.

However, the parents gifted the opportunity by leaving her unattended in an unlocked apartment while they went out.

She doesn’t get abducted if they are at home with her. She might not get abducted if the apartment is locked.

Are you saying the parents are without any responsibility in how things turned out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

No, but the parents hold a much smaller proportion of the blame than the presumed abductor does, yet they get all the focus because this person remains at large and the tabloids needed page space to fill, and that is wrong. There's only one party in the story who intended to get Madeleine stolen away and it wasn't Kate & Gerry McCann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's that simple? Only one victim.

Her parents are victims. I can guarantee you they have suffered, they lost a child.

Her siblings are victims.

Her grandparents are victims

Her uncles and aunts are victims

Her creche buddies are victims. But your misguided posts concentrate on the parents who's negligence is criminally minuscule in comparison to the perverted murderer. Your blasé posts are classic virtuous, keyboard warrior & lazy victim blaming similar to that of the Portuguese police that shifted the blame from the actual criminal to protect their skin in the holiday game.

I'm in the "the murderer is to blame" camp.

It's not enjoyable, it's awful, I've kids the same age as Madeleine McCann when she was murdered, I've kids that are nearly the same age as she would be now if she had lived.

You're in the bizarre internet "the parents are to blame" camp and that's your prerogative. Not much point in arguing with you, I predict you're going to dig your heels in now and ignore the fact that someone took that girl and murdered her.

I've remonstrated with your thank-garnering smug insensitive posts. Not you.

If that's talking in circles, then so is talking about leaving the patio door unlocked etc. as if that's not well established. But if everyone wants to drop the discussion of all that and just concentrate on developments from here on out...

I’m glad you don’t think they are without any responsibility for how things turned out.

I'm in the "the murderer is to blame" camp.

Murderers are usually to blame for murders, yes. You'd almost think that was a controversial thing to say.

If a woman gets raped during a night out, you do get the odd person who says something like, "What was she doing walking down that dark alley? Wearing that dress? Why didn't she call a taxi? Shouldn't have had so much to drink..." but those people are usually called gits or worse. Most people aren't talking about the role she played in the rape. They're talking about the person who carried out that heinous crime. Rightfully so. And so it should be in any crime against a person, including that against the McCanns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The 2020 comments by the German public prosecutor Wolters….When asked whether there was any material evidence that Madeleine , is dead, Wolters replied: “Yes.”

not… “ it’s our belief she is dead “ not “ the likelihood from our investigation is that she is probably dead “

Not only that, there is “ material evidence “ Madeleine is dead… I wonder were there photos that showed that…?

the article says that Wolters refuses to elaborate…. I wonder why ? If they did find photos of her dead body… is the responsible thing not to make the family aware… if the family are aware ?

why is the ‘ find Madeleine’ charity and website still operating, still requesting donations, still with the following explicit goals…from said site… http://www.findmadeleine.com/support/index.html

• To secure the safe return to her family of Madeleine McCann who was abducted in Praia da Luz, Portugal on Thursday 3rd May 2007;
    • To procure that Madeleine's abduction is thoroughly investigated and that her abductors, as well as those who played or play any part in assisting them, are identified and brought to justice; and
    • To provide support, including financial assistance, to Madeleine's family.
    • If the above objects are fulfilled then the objects of the Foundation shall be to pursue such purposes in similar cases arising in the United Kingdom, Portugal or elsewhere.

Donations can be made to the fund through the following channel…

It’s beyond tragic, it’s beyond very very strange also… McCanns seeking £££££££ help…. Prosecutor “ material evidence she’s dead “… but we won’t tell you what evidence…. Wolters is a guy, late 40’s to early 50’s….

whole case is as bizarre as it is tragic.

• Advertisement

You can’t compare that at all it’s a totally different scenario.

The rape scenario would only work if someone else was supposed to be looking after the girl walking home but chose not to that night.

Both scenarios are a case of victim blaming, and people who choose to focus on the actions of the victim for what happened to them, and not the person who victimised them are in the wrong.

Madeleine is the victim in comparison to your rape scenario.

Also to use your rape scenario. A security guard is required to walk that girl up the street that night but chooses not to.

Everyone will still blame the rapist but people will also ask why the security guard was negligent

He didn’t mean for the girl to get raped but it still happened.

It most likely wouldn’t have happened if he accompanied her like he was supposed to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I did not mean criminally negligent in the literal sense of the term although I think the McCann's and their friends would be deserving of charges of child neglect being brought against them, if it were possible. It was an act of gross irresponsibility to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Yes it’s that simple. There’s one victim in this case and that is Madeleine. Other people have most certainly been affected by whatever happened to Madeleine but they are not victims. I don’t believe Madeleine’s parents negligence was criminally minuscule as without their negligence their daughter would not have been taken. If you want to believe I’m misguided about that that is most certainly your prerogative but I don’t believe I’m in any way misguided. I have no idea what you mean by saying it’s not enjoyable. I don’t think anyone is enjoying the fact a child is missing for sixteen years. I also have children and know exactly what it is to be a parent. My posts are far from smug I am most certainly not a perfect parent but I’ve most definitely never ever neglected my children. I’m not ignoring that something horrific happened to little Madeleine and it makes me extremely angry when I think of the role her parents played in this.

This is a semantic argument you're going into as everyone knows the McCann parents are also victims in this. The point is very clear: when someone is hurt by the actions of a criminal, it is the criminal who is liable, and people who get into the decisions made by the victim to give the opportunity are quite badly missing the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Jaysus, who p1ssed in your cornflakes.

Madeline, alright?

Your gas. Still obsessing on the parents and ignoring the fact that someone abducted her and most likely killed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Annascaul

Can't you just stop this? During the whole discussion we've been reading your comments about how the poor McCann's are suffering for the loss of their daughter.

Fact is, they've lost their daughter due to their own negligence and incompetence, - a mistake few of us would ever make. Also legally they've gotten clean away even though it's a criminal offense, - whilst others would have been prosecuted. But still you keep going on about the poor suffering McCann's.

Would you leave gold ingots, money and jewelry in an unlocked apartment, not seeing who comes and goes and then complain that you've been robbed? Common sense should tell you not to do that.

So why would you do that to your children?

And then protect the parents in your comments that they are not responsible? Your comments are sadly totally unjustifiable and disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Again a false linking of any criticism of the McCanns to being part of a conspiracy.

That may be the mad ideas of some but others have the cop on to realise they obviously didn't conspire to have their daughter taken.

But through utter stupidity they made it incredibly easy for whoever it was to be able to take her in great comfort knowing it was risk free.

They didnt have any master plan to be rid of her, but they made the decision to prioritise a night out over the safety of their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Annascaul

I wasn't saying that. So why start the posting with "again"?

What bothers me here is that some users are failing to see that criminal negligence and plain and obvious in incompetent parenting has lead to the abduction and possible murder.

Also in the mind of some users grieving parents should be made up for any possible criminal negligence. The McCann's and their friends put their drinking and dining before the well being of the children. That is unacceptable in my opinion. Ciminal behaviour togehter with selfishness.

I am clearly not saying that the McCann's have tried to cover something up, like an accident with Madeleine in their absence. However it's theoretically possible, nothing is proven. It's not even proven that the current prime suspect, that German guy, is the perpetrator of the crime.

At the moment, all we can do is wait, until the police come up with the lab results of the items they've collected and analyzed.

• Advertisement

I was agreeing with you about the "woe is parents" nonsense.

Yes the parents who as good as handed her over on a plate to someone who abducted her. The parents who should have been there to protect her so nobody and nothing could harm her but put having a good few nights out in front of looking after their children. Yes I’m hilarious really to think that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

In relation to Wolters, think I saw somewhere that the German system is set up such that evidence is only released at trial - i.e. he's not allowed to say what evidence he has until someone is charged.

• I presume the unstated element is that they want the return of Madeleine even if to bury her. On the tony off-chance she is alive and sees the appeals I assume the parents would want her to realise they haven’t given up on finding her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I would have to agree with John_Rambo on his comment. Seems like a personal witch-hunt from your posts.

Label me however you like I couldn’t care less. The facts are if Madeleine was looked after properly she wouldn’t be missing today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If a friend of yours had gold ingots stolen from their home due to them accidentally leaving the door unlocked - would you continue to berate them for years upon years afterward or at some point would you have some sympathy and maybe direct your anger towards the thief who actually stole them?

There has to be a point where people actually have sympathy for two people who lost their child, more than likely to a murdering rapist. The extra horror of knowing you could have been there to stop the person is unimaginable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would imagine that her parents berate themselves every single day for it . There is no worse hell than your child to be missing and you have no idea where she is , how she is and if someone is hurting her . I think they paid the ultimate punishment for their decision . I think 16 years of that hell is enough with salt being rubbed in it by others

Constantly repeating how they made a mistake is neither going to bring her back or turn back the clock . In fact its pointless in my opinion

I think you've clearly labeled yourself as a victim blamer with an unnatural persecution for the McCanns. A pure warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭juno10353

There is no proof of Madeleine being abducted. It is one theory. Others being an accident in apartment causing death and cover up. Another theory is Madeleine awakening and wandering from apartment in search of parents and being knocked down and body disposed. All theories possible and none proven.

One common point of above is negligence in protection by parents.

• Advertisement

I’m discussing the facts of the case. A lot of people on this thread share the same opinion as I do. I’m not constantly repeating. I’m replying to others who have spoken to me. I don’t think it’s pointless as it played a huge part of the little girl’s disappearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭tibruit

That`s a very fluffy reply. Gaspar is a GP. Do you think she made it all up? Payne was late on the night as he tended to be habitually. Gerry explained that his check on Madeleine took longer than usual because he met somebody on the street which was corroborated, he spent some time gazing at a sleeping Madeleine and he used the apartment toilet. The bins were emptied in the early hours after Madeleine was reported missing. There was no organized search of them. The bins were large wheelie types. I would say they were 4 to 5 times bigger than your bog standard Irish wheelie bin. There was no search at all through the underground rubbish containers. The whole lot was removed to landfill.

I find it a bit surreal that all the posters here just assume now that this was an abduction. I mean it might have been, but based on what Gaspar said, I wouldn`t be letting Gerry McCann or David Payne anywhere near my kids.

There’s one victim in this case. Her name is Madeleine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

The amount of apologists on this thread is actually frightening!

Imagine leaving 3 children under the age of 3 unsupervised for 10 mins let alone for the night while your out on the piss.

Master of the Universe

Of course it's not okay to leave three young children unsupervised for that length of time. nobody is saying it is, you're actually not arguing against anyone but yourself.

I've read through 15 pages of this thread before posting that, id suggest you take a look over it yourself. Ill add though, not only is it not okay, its absolutely criminal.

Master of the Universe

If you are making a statement about people being apologists then a link to an apologist statement would be great. There's a quote function after all. Otherwise you are just making unfounded statements.

You cant just tell someone to go back and read through 4,500 posts to try to find something that you may deem to be apologist. That's ridiculous.

Regarding it being criminal, I agree. I don't think the punishment for it though is to have your child murdered by a rapist. Therefore I still see The McCanns as being victims of a crime.

(this is all based on their story being true mind you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Interesting how Jim Gamble believed the McCanns were responsible until he befriended them. The dogs don't lie.

If you are going to challenge someone on a statement its best you at least read a bit. Id advise against calling out posters for unfounded statements if you are unwilling to leaf back through a few pages of a thread to fact check me.

On desktop from pages 146-150 there are plenty of comments suggesting leaving the kids unattended was the done thing for instance.

Regarding your comment re punishment - its speculation, nobody knows what actually happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ah, the 'have you stopped beating your wife yet' type gotcha.

Quite possibly, if there were no MM type events in the past 40 years to serve as a warning. I would have to replicate the McCanns situation - walk a mile in their shoes - and see how the situation felt. One of them is responsible enough he cuts people chests open and messes with their still beating hearts and the other was a GP. Neither were or are idiots, so the situation probably seemed safe.

I would far rather do that than let any of those children out of my sight for 40 seconds anywhere there was water about, which is what hundreds of parents do, and suffer for, every single year.

I don't think I should stop while people are laying into the parents in this way. You say it's criminal negligence and yet they've never been prosecuted. If it's happened to others, why not them? Some people will add 2+2 and get 5, it seems.

As to your ingots analogy, yes I would, for a very simple reason. A person is not supposed to enter your apartment without permission, unlocked or not and steal your belongings, and if they do, they are criminally liable. Simple enough, really. That's common sense.

A good reason why the McCanns would not be done for criminal negligence is that the instance of a possible paedophile stalking you and watching your movements from the shadows waiting for a moment to steal your child not even on the street but from your apartment you're sitting 55 metres direct distance from would be considered so unusual as to be force majeure. Removing this from the equation, Madeleine is almost certainly fine, and she had been in her bed at the time of her abduction. The judge would therefore rule that it was the abductor who is the reason why Madeleine is missing. Some more common sense for you.

I'm prepared to drop the topic if those talking in circles about the parents are willing to drop that line of rhetoric. How about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The suspect, Bruekner (not sure of spelling).

Is he the same suspect that is accused if raping ths Irish woman, alone in an apartment, tied her down like a 'spit roast' as she described it in her own words? He let her go and she ran naked through the apartment block and found a group of men who gave her clothes.

If it's the same suspect, that rapist was very forensically aware and careful.

If he abducted MM, he would have well covered his tracks.

To thine own self be true

"A person is not supposed to enter your apartment wothout permission" is an adorable viewpoint for a child.

An adult should know better.

Funnily enough, it was presumably an adult who entered the McCanns apartment and they should have known better than to commit their crime.

There doesn’t have to be only one person responsible for this. Nothing is ever that black and white.

The person who took Madeleine is obviously most responsible.

The parents made it possible by not looking after their children that night.

Should they be charged for neglect? No, they’ve had the worst punishment possible.

• Advertisement

Yeah if you find that funny you are beyond help.

Anyway you will learn that in the grown up world theres bad people that will commit crimes DESPITE being "not supposed to".

Anyone actually believing crime doesn't happen because its not supposed to is infantile in their naiveity.

Insurance companies laugh in your face if you've left your house/car unlocked because you were a fùcking idiot. That doesn't absolve the burglar who commited the actual crime, but it doesnt change the mind numbing stupidity of those irresponsible in the first place.

Saying other people are talking in circles?

Have you read through the stuff you’ve posted to try and absolve the parents of any responsibility over what happened that night.

Some highlights:

Saying it was the done thing in the 80s to leave children unsupervised.

Comparing it to another crime that the scenario wasn’t comparable at all.

Constantly referencing across the pool like it was a private locked villa.

If you think I was trying to be funny, think again.

If it is possible to take out an insurance policy on one's daughter which would pay out if she disappeared, perhaps the McCanns would have trouble getting the insurers to pay out, but we are talking about a criminal matter, and if the person responsible for this crime is ever caught, I can assure you it will not be thrown out of court because of the complaints some posters have here about the McCanns' parenting on the night in question.

What are you even talking about at this point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

Yes the same person.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11306257/Irish-woman-raped-Madeleine-McCann-suspect-speaks-charged.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement