Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I think the 18% are foreign born people aren't they? Not all non Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well whatever way you fall on the political spectrum you still have the option to vote against any party. So rather than just vote no 1 for your preferred candidate go down the line to vote against any parties that you don't like. If you want to vote independents vote for them all in descending order of your choice. If you are happy with the current situation then vote to continue it by choosing SF/FFG/PBP/Soc Dems depending on how strongly you feel about this issue.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I'm not saying Paris doesn't have issues but the characterisation of it as a place where non-whites just run about attacking tourists left, right and centre and that it resembles an African war zone around Saint Denis just needs to be called out for the ludicrous exaggeration that it is. Millions of people go to Paris every year and have a great time, people from all walks of life flock to work and study there. Some people have a romanticised idea of the city that doesn't stack up outside the old city core — and others just seem to get uncomfortable by the mere fact of seeing a lot of black people around when they come out of the metro station in Montmartre. They get all these ideas in their head that poorer people and so-called "dodgy areas" didn't exist back in the day, possibly because the inhabitants of those areas back in the day 'looked the same'.

Major European cities, particularly the cities of the old colonial powers, have always had an element of rough and tumble to them — long, long before modern day migration. And of course, it was once the ape-like boorish dirty Irishman who were among those who frightened the wits out of the civilised classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

I'm 50 years of age, ive seen all sorts of violence at football matches but most of it from over 25 years ago. You still get the odd scrap or idiot but more or less it's been left in the dark ages where it belongs. Iv'e never seen anything on this scale as in organised mugging and assaults on football fans from a certain demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, I never said Paris was like your extreme there. You likely won't be attacked in a tourist area, but the chances of being pickpocketed are quite a lot more than most Western European cities tbf. You can sit at Sacre Couer and watch the pickpocketing gangs in action. Pigalle is a dodgy area in Montmartre too, and I genuinely wouldn't walk around that area by night by myself. Most of the areas around the main stations are a bit dodgy (this happens most places but Gare de Nord in particular is one of the worst I've seen in Europe for it). I definitely find it a lot worse than most other major European cities anyway. Barcelona has a reputation too, but I find there it's just pickpocketing and there's less run down areas of the city compared to Paris.

Immigration definitely plays a part there in it, and now some of that is due to how it's managed and the resources that's provided, but we're making that exact same mistake by creating ghettos (throwing them all into a town with no resources is proven idiocy and we're doing that). We should be looking at a place like Paris and going how do we not do that.

• Advertisement

Well it's almost like you're making my point for me though. Violence at football matches is actually less prevalent now, by your own words — so I'm confused as to why it has improved if immigration has increased?

In any event, what was the context of these attacks? I mean, English football fans don't exactly have the benefit of doubt on their side when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Irish fans regularly go to rugby matches at the Stade de France right? Irish fans tumbled around France rightly during the Euros there, right? For whatever reason, these gangs of "a certain demographic" must take a day off here and there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

In that case you'll have no problem providing the link to the naturalisations rules that provide for this? Or will you just admit that you just made it all up?

Yes but that was the extreme narrative I was responding to. Yours is more reasonable, but doesn't exactly portray a story of Paris that could not be said about many other cities and indeed Paris itself historically — which has always had poor areas (people just didn't see them because there was no/less tourism and constant videos of every event from smartphones).

From that, people have developed a romanticised notion of Paris, and from that the idea that it's the migrants who have ruined this romantic caricature. Paris has had rough areas for a long bloody time, and France generally has always been a country that flirts with upheaval. If tourism existed the way it does now down through the years, do you think people would be walking through streets of happy contented white French smiling at you from their kiosks laden with fresh artisanal cuisine with the background music of an accordion? What would smartphones and mass media coverage and constant access to tourists have shown us?

But the difference is now that people want to make out that it's the black people and the Arab people who have sh*t over everything that was Utopian once in Paris. It's a lazy argument that is unfortunately treated as a reasonable one by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Reading over this thread and the constant mention of SF regarding the poll of people who think we’re taking too many refugees and why would they vote for SF then, It’s in the 70s for FFG and over 80 for SF so both incredibly high.

I think there’s one big thing being overlooked, where does Ireland taking in too many refugees sit on their list as the most pressing issue facing the country? You could be apart of the 75% who think we are but still care more about more other issues like cost of living crisis, health service etc and base their vote on those issues. I’m just saying it’s incredibly weird how anyone who mentioned SF in this context automatically assumes that immigration is everyone in the country’s biggest issue when obviously that’s not the case. It may be your biggest issue but you’re just one person like everyone else.

I don't know how many European cities you have been in, but there are plenty of dodgy areas, in most of them!

The chances of being dipped in Dublin are massive, and they target the obvious tourists around town.

Massive chance of being dipped in Barcelona and Rome also actually. Taxi drivers in Rome are notorious for trying to scam tourists. Athens is not a particularly nice place to walk around as a tourist. I mean the bigger the tourist city the bigger the chance someone will try to take advantage. This cannot be blamed on immigration, this stuff has happened for years in tourist locations.

Agree about not throwing people into big cities and leaving them to fend for themselves, smaller towns and villages allow for more integration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

Of the other issues you have in mind, can you list a few that are not impacted in any way by unplanned and unregulated increases in the numbers of people requiring or impacting them?

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

There's an element of opportunism to this though. What often seems to happen is that anti-migration arguments tend to piggyback on a different pressing issue and then seek to establish the causal link. In this case — you take an issue like the housing crisis which is more less #1 issue at the forefront of minds and if you draw the causal link between that and migration (or refugees) you can then claim migration to be a massive issue.

As a 32 year old young professional with a girlfriend who is a full time teacher who feels pretty angry at the fact that it's so hard for us to buy a home, there are many on here and elsewhere who just really, really, really badly want me to believe that refugees are the obstacle and I should be mad about their presence. That's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf outside of Dublin, Barcelona and Rome have had immigration issues historically. Dublin is a kip with or without immigration unfortunately.

I think London is actually reasonably safe (for the size of the city that it is), Berlin and Munich are good, as is Vienna, Copenhagen and the Swiss cities I've been in. They all undoubtedly have issues but of European cities, they're a lot safer than Paris, Barcelona, Madrid or the Italian cities when it comes to pickpocketing and petty crime like that.

I think we're unfortunately falling into the same issue that our European neighbours have with immigration. We're placing a ton of people into areas with insufficient resources and going, that's grand. We'll end up creating ghettos here and all the issues that come with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Housing is most definitely the biggest issue for me followed by immigration, then health, law & order and so on.

All are not mutually exclusive though. And all have an impact on each other.

I'm blessed I have a rental but I'm handing over 2k a month of hard earned money for it on top of scrambling a deposit together. Myself and my partner are terrified if we get put out of here, there are not many options.

I'm seeing "studios" - a sofabed beside a cooker in a mould infested room over the road in Ranelagh/Rathmines going for 1600 a month at the minute.

How it's allowed I don't **** know. That's what immigrants are coming into. Unscrupulous greedy bastards exploiting the **** out of a supply issue and FGFF watching on pretending they are addressing it.

But we can't equate that petty crime with the immigration, that petty crime has always existed in those cities and some others, before mass immigration was an issue.

Barcelona and Rome have plenty of home grown criminals.

Supply and demand isn't 'opportunism', it's a fact of life. You don't put out a bonfire by pouring petrol on it.

I would add that the phrase 'anti-migration' is a typical nasty touch. Most people are happy with planned and managed, legal immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Dublin's not a kip. Parts of it are including the North City centre.

Dublin has some of the most beautiful city villages Sandymount, Terenure, Rathmines, Stoneybatter, Blackrock, Howth, Skerries and so on and coastal Dublin is spectacular. So many hidden gems.

Dublin is underrated within Ireland in my opinion. The problem is it's potential is being sent down the gutter lively.

I think it's a stretch to make that comparison though. The mass displacement of people due to conflict is not something that is easily controllable firstly — it's not a policy of migration like France pursued in the 1950s to leverage its old colonial populations to rebuild the country from devastation of WW2. We are dealing with a humanitarian issue that is unavoidably more difficult to "get right".

What happens next is a question of national mentality. Be accommodating of the people who have arrived here despite the imperfections and problems or simply continue to peddle narratives that the refugees are actually just tramps who are here for sex and handouts — we shall see which option transpires for the better when it comes to integration.

But we didn't pour petrol on anything. Russia invaded Ukraine and there has been a spike in refugees. Nobody is happy about this — but the situation has to be dealt with. It's not always going to be fair, it's not always going to be well-planned and well-executed. But making it out that refugees are some sort of major reason why the housing crisis is happening is crass and it's crass for several reasons (1) the crisis long predates the refugee influx; (2) the primary issue is and always has been policy — with tens of thousands of vacant, derelict and Air BnB properties all over the country — not to mention an absolute abundance of clear space to build hampered by a poor planning system and Nimbyism; and (3) it's being used by many as the underhand way of giving a respectable side to arguments that centre more on refugees being aggressive horny males who are here to rape and plunder.

As for anti-migration being a nasty term — maybe it is in your case. But I would wager that if the housing crisis ended tomorrow, the great whack-a-mole circus of blaming foreigners would simply move on to the next issue that can be portrayed as negatively impacted by them coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Advertisement

Absolutely .

Have worked out of an inner city area all my life so know what the city is like at all times of day . It is just like any other major city and has been always . But generally not pleasant except on a Summer's day when in some leafier parts or shopping areas .

Dublin by the sea and the Parks are beautiful . It's great to have it a walk or a bus ride away .

Two drama programmes recently released , The Catch set in Cornwall and Maryland set on the Isle of Man , were both chiefly filmed in parts of Howth and Sutton beach .

The problems in Dublin before and now have little to do with immigration and more to do with the present government and their policy of allowing greedy landlords and vulture funds hike up rents way beyond the level of affordability and more , and handing over social housing commitments to private developers.

We are still suffering the politics that engendered the last crash but with new faces on the old politicians .

But people trying to lay the blame for this and other problems on refugees is just pure head in the sand stuff.

The problems here are the politicians who are not listening to people over not just immigration but housing rents ,cost of food and profiteering by companies while ordinary people are squeezed .

If people say oh its immigrants , and the government slow down the numbers coming in ,will these other issues just disappear ?

It's the same people voting for FF/ FG over and over again .

It's new faces and ideas in government that are needed .

But not far right . Vote for those guys is a vote for darkness , hate and extreme intolerance .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

The chances of being pickpocketed or “dipped” as you say in Dublin are not “massive”

Have lived and worked in Dublin City my entire life and have never heard of anyone I know getting pickpocketed, or there even being a pickpocket problem (as there is in Barcelona for example). Make your points without descending to sensationalism.

Seriously? I have lived an worked in Dublin since 1993. Trust me, the chances are massive. I am aware of just how often people are victims of this crime.

Gardai have dedicated units working on this crime entirely. Plainclothes members working fulltime trying to stop/catch these criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Look I’m just pointing out that I’ve genuinely never heard of it happening to a single person in my whole life.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but it’s not a problem associated with the city and the chances of it happening to any given person are most certainly not “massive”

You're overstating it by quite a bit

I'm really not. It's not publicized like we hear about Barcelona, but it's a massive issue in town.

People literally do it as their 'job.'

The Ukrainian refugee issue is another classic example of Irish mismanagement of immigration. It's not as if the utterly chaotic, inept, money guzzling disaster that our asylum system continues to be, was ever a reason for confidence.

It's simply disingenuous of you to insist that people are calling out immigration exclusively on issues such as housing. All these issues are multi-faceted but if you want to put your head in the sand over a significant aspect of a demand side issue, you are not a serious part of the conversation.

I would suggest that if you want to focus on the behaviour and attitudes of a tiny proportion of people with regards to immigrants, then do that. Don't however, wade into these conversations like a white knight conflating all issues as proxy or direct attacks on foreigners, so you can morally bully others into silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This is a good point and a shortcoming of how polling is typically conducted.

In order to figure out how high a priority something actually is you'd need to conduct a poll where different weightings are assigned to each question's response. An example of how this would work is what's known as quadratic polling.

Here's a good interactive example of it in action (because that's a lot easier than actually explaining the mechanics of it)

Basically you have an allotment of votes to spread throughout the questions so you can really emphasise the positions that you feel more strongly about.

Nearly every single post on the thread over the last few days has mentioned housing including yours.

How you can blame one of the more reasonable posters about 'morally bullying people into silence' in that context I don't know.

• Advertisement

Housing is a massive issue - what on earth do you expect?

As for me 'blaming' one of the more reasonable posters - why not go back to the post that I responded to that contained this hysterical line:

it's being used by many as the underhand way of giving a respectable side to arguments that centre more on refugees being aggressive horny males who are here to rape and plunder.

Advertisement