Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerrygullinane Pedigree Limousin Online Sale 2023

Options
  • 26-05-2023 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭

Gerrygullinane Pedigree Limousin Online Sale 2023

Link to Marteye / Thurles Mart

MartEye

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Might head up to the open day myself for a nosey. Interesting to see how some of these herds operate

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭anthony500_1

I'm amazed at how many of the females are only 3 and 4 stars for replacement. And I think one or two only 1 star, I would have thought they would be much higher, when you look at the breeding, how many are ET etc you would think they should be high 5 star animals. I'm sure to look at this man's stock one would be in awe of what years of breading and AI should have done for him. It leaves a lot to question in the star system IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Chasing the show ring rather than the stars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

There’s enough breeders chasing stars without them doing it. They don’t bother with the show ring circuit much afaik. Just maybe they try to breed good cattle that make money for them.

I've seen a lot of their bulls sell in Roscrea over the years. They breed a very correct, muscley type of animal. Not great on the calving or maternal side of things though. Derrygullinane Kingbull (same herd) is typical of what they breed.

I really liked the look of lot 11 'Trendy', the Carrickmore Pocket Rocket Et by Sympa heifer. Only Dec 2022 but already at €3,200. She was at 1,600 when I looked first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

See lot 14 is a 5 star out of vantasic on the dam side, shows how accurate the star rating is,

Lot 12 now gone to €6750. Crazy money fir a weaning heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I went down for a look today. Some serious animals there. The cows are huge and heavy muscled but with milk. All of the herd was in view in the fields around the yard. Very impressive breeding tbh & credit to him. Out of my budget anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Milk? Lot of them limousines as bad as charolais now. And you’d have a hard job find one with wilodge tonka in the back breeding and all these embryo transfers now will speed up the demise of the breeds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

If they’re making money why should they care about any of that. Would they be better off doing what the Newford factories journal farm is doing with a herd of milky little rats with 50 stars selling 300kg carcasses and losing money hand over fist?

Fair play to him I won’t begrudge a lad making a few quid

I’m not talking about Newford demo

but your right. Why should they care that their cow doesn’t have milk , they can just put up another meal bin

why should they care that their cow doesn’t go incalf every year. Just flush her and a “milky little rat” can rear the calf.

The reason these “rats “ are promoted is because there’s zero focus in maternal breeding in these continental beef breeds. Whereas a friesian has to milk ,be fertile , ,be quiet, have decent legs etc etc

That's not true. The french operate a Maternal programme for the limousin breed.

i know that. It’s a good job too isn’t it. How long would it take Irish lads to do similar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I think all pedigree herd books are governed by ICBF, who have the Gene Ireland program

What use is Gene Ireland program and as per icbf governing herd books, have they not done enough damage with stars in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

The limousine society is more than aware they've driven the maternal aspects of the breed into the ground by pushing the terminal aspects. People have been saying it for years now and it's the stars that have finally shown what every one saying would happen. ZAG the most popular limousine AI bull the last few years brings a good terminal animal but his daughters have poor milk, calving ability, gestation and docility. It's rare to even find a limousine bull in the AI catalogues that will bring milk and almost selling a bull cut off the bottom part of the star sheet cause the milk is in the toilet. Talking with lads in the society they are desperately trying to do a U turn with bulls like Powerfull Proper and speeding up the process with sexed semen from him.

The star system has its faults but it has shown up the big problem we have in Ireland with valuing terminal over the cow's ability to actually rear the calf. Pouring out adlib meal to supplement the hungry calf is seen as a normal practice. Chatting with the higher up ICBF/SCEP lads they say the point is to un do the damage this kind of thinking has done. They got French breeders and technicians over the last few years and they have been appalled what we've done to their nation's animals. But that opens up another argument about having to push weights here for profitability because the rats aren't working either.

This isn't my personal opinion. just echoing what lads in the limousine society and ICBF are saying.

I think most people buy with their eyes. That's the problem. They buy what they see in front of them. Last buyer I had here didn't even ask about the bull's calving figure. The reality is lads get rewarded for breeding the fancy muscley bulls and as long as that continues, they are not going to change.

Have a look online at the type of pedigree limousin cow at the shows in France and it would open your eyes. Completely different type of cow. A lot more maternal looking.

As regards the calving figures the reliability % is miles off, neighbour bought a lim bull with a 4.5% for calving figures when if come to calving he had 4 side doors and serious use of the jack, his previous lim bull had a 14% calving figure and used the jack 2 or 3 times a year on the same 45 cows, when he went back to breeder of the bull he admitted the bull was born by side door and got a 4.5% calving, what’s wrong with most breeds is honest in the game and societies only want money.

Having seen lim and char cows in France on farm totally different animals that calve and rear their calf.here you have some big breeders leading the pyramid game and when the bull goes out the gate good look, not to long a got a lim breeder was done for what he was giving bulls prior to sale, bull that the tail fell off. The lad that sells the genuine bull at the house will always have customers.

• Advertisement

The limousin society is not in a great place, as for ZAG who pushed him icbf and the Ai stations and as for terminal small butty stock, Bova have good French bulls but icbf don’t want competition to the big board members.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Always had them going back as far as Bova Pontium and Pacha 18 I think it. Some of the best calves that I ever bred came off of Pontium.

Advertisement