Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mogue77

If Mcveety is fit again and comes back in at 6 Connor brady will probably go midfield with G Mac. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Simple reason why he quit. No row or nothing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭rrs

Timing a bit strange when 2 games have been played in the Tailtean Cup. If a player was going to America there wouldn't have been any point being involved in the Tailtean Cup. But maybe it's other reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I know Cavan fans have a reputation for being pessimistic, about our chances in most games but sticking a lad you don't like from your office into midfield is a new one 😊

I got a few texts and as none of them were from James Smith or the management team (not that i have any contacts either way i might add!!) i don't think randomly speculating online does much good to anything.

I agree with you Cavan_King that James is the best pound for pound midfielder in the county and using him at full forward last year was robbing Peter to pay Paul. Having said that it's clear he's not been near his best for Cavan although there were glimmers a couple of weeks back (albeit against London and it wasn't a dominant display). Would still prefer him in there and getting back to his best but sadly not going to happen this year.

I'd say most people from Crosserlough will be delighted as barring the league final last year he wasn't able to play due to injuries. A fully fit James Smith should have them as nailed on for the championship (and with the array of talent that they have).

I agree. You'd assume if that was the case an annoucement would have been managed after the Armagh match.

McVeety at 6 and Conor Brady with McKenna for Saturday is what I would go for. McKenna was really impressive going forward against Antrim and could have (should have) bagged at least a goal if not three. With James Smith opting out we could do with some powerful running and McKenna certainly brings that.

I think every single Cavan fan assumed this year that Gearoid would move from his position on the 40. I don't think anyone would have predicted that it would be back out to midfield. I think he had about 10 mins in on the square against Down and a half against Antrim when not a single ball was kicked into him.

If Jason McLaughlin is back and falkner is ok to play maybe Clarke could go out to 6 and put Mcveety in at 11 and g Mac go full forward in might make us more direct.

• Advertisement

Jason, like McVeety & McKenna, looks sharp on those ridiculous drills the lads were doing before the game. So i would say he could be back on Saturday.

hard to know about Faulkner. Like Oisin Brady’s injury against Longford when you’re at the game it looks like serious ankle ligament damage and season ending but after the game he was walking about without crutches (albeit in great discomfort).

my preference would be to assume with Jason, Clarke and Carolan we have enough back there to make sure he’s fit for future games.

Meant to say, McVeety at 6 all day. That’s his position. He can set the pace for the team from there. For me, when fit, stick him there and build around him.

I do like Mcveety at 6 he was excellent in the first 5 games of the league until he got injured, but he could be very potent at 11 also, I really would like to see G Mac go in at 14.

I’ve given up on McKiernan going to 14. I think it’s one of the reasons supporters are growing so disillusioned with management. 90% of the football supporters in the county expected to see him at full forward. He’s unmarkable for the Gaels in that position.

Instead we’ve a 33/34 year old still at midfield slowing the game down, running sideways and kicking laterally, when modern tactics are all about counter attack.

It really beggars belief but then would they even kick the ball in if he was in there?

Our tactics seem to be totally risk averse, which couldn’t even win us the second rate Tailteann Cup last year.

It’s a shame when he is so good for the gaels at 14 they won’t give him a game in there, it just makes sense to play him there instead of out the field slowing down the play and turning back every time he gets the ball , he is a very talented player he should be been used effectively instead of negatively. It’s an awful pity about James smith leaving Huge loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Am I right in thinking that a defeat on Saturday puts us in a preliminary quarter final which could include down or meath?, to be honest I'd prefer that not to happen

James smith is a loss but if a lad doesn't want to play for his County you're better off without him than having him around a panel half hearted ..

Anyway hopefully we can find a bit of form on Saturday and turn in a decent performance

Yeah the top team automatically into quarter final. 2nd and 3rd place into a play off for a quarter final place.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Hard to believe the "work commitments" explanation that Gaelic Life reported on. The Celt made no mention of that. I hope to see a few new faces take their chance this weekend as I'm expecting no Faulkner either.

They do a bit of bailing . Is he busy at Silage with the good weather>

It’s not a do or die game so he should be rested and ready for bigger games ahead (hopefully). Jason and Carolan as corner backs and Clarke at full back.

• Advertisement

Call me optimistic, but if McVeety is back and fully fit for the first time since the Longford game (I think that was the game he turned his ankle and he wasn’t 100% against Down or Offaly) we’ll see in and play well.

he was flying two weeks ago in London so i expect him to start.

The latest I’m hearing is that it’s because he’s expected not to play with his club during a long drawn out Tailteann Cup where we are playing such stellar counties as Laois & London.

Re Faulkner, god forbid Manager fantastic Mickey be missing one of the undroppable few for this second rate comp.

Sure an extended panel is great so he can take a few players off a junior club like Arva that are struggling in Div One and then not let some of them within an asses roar of the pitch.

I’ve waited a long time to see new faces but we’ll probably see Conor Moynagh off the bench again.

There’s three lads from Arva on the panel and two of them started last game out. In fact McCabe started almost every game this year. So, of all points to make, you’re barking up the wrong tree there.

and any lads who didn’t get game time went back to their clubs for games since.

This year Tiarnan Madden, Niall Carolan, Johnny McCabe and Rian O Neill all became staters. Brandon Boylan got lots of game time and has done well. Flashes of McKenna (who has been really unlucky with injury).

of all straw man arguments to make to have a go at the manager that this lad doesn’t rate, it wasn’t the most informed by actual facts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Can’t see them bating Offaly.

Things are bad

• Registered Users Posts: 21,002 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You could make some handy money. Offaly 7/2 with Paddy Power.

https://www.paddypower.com/gaelic-games?tab=football

Tiernan Madden & Ryan O’Neill were dropped for unfit players for the championship. Carolan was a starter last year - started the Tailteann Cup final, arguably our biggest game last year so couldn’t be seen as new this year.

Contrary to belief, I do rate Graham but the past two years have shown he is risk averse and doesn’t experiment enough - we’ve just gone through Div 3 & 4 yet even against Waterford in a 30 point drubbing, the sub keeper couldn’t get a minute of play. What in the name of god happens if Ray gets injured? We’ve one of the most important players on the pitch without a competitive minute of play for Cavan.

Also, how many teams are starting a lad heading towards his mid 30s at midfield?

Graham is a long time now dining out on 2019 and 2020 championship performances.

At least I got a bit of discussion going! Place has been like a morgue despite the fact we’ve club and county games on.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

True, we’ve a terrible record against Offaly in Longford, it’ll be like 1988 all over again, hopefully i’ll manage to make it further than Edgeworthstown this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

There are legitimate criticisms to be made of Mickey's management but not getting minutes into a sub keeper when our number 1 hasn't missed a game through injury since 2015 isn't one of them. A complete non issue.

Looking forward to tomorrow, should be great weather and proper championship stuff.

Advertisement