Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yeah I was wondering if the Janice were there that day, have been there for rem, verve, u2 and red hit chilli peppers so can get mixed up. Oasis and Manic’s were best support I saw. Chilli peppers also supported u2 before they came back to headline. All of tyem great days compared to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Anyone who thinks that Harry Styles is just for teenage girls is seriously out of touch! A large part of this crowd will be women who are 40+. I know this as I organised a bus for my wife and sold 53 seats to her age group in about 2 hours and could have filled it many times over.

If middle aged women have enough cash in their purses and there is bottles of wine involved, they will travel the length of Ireland to see the like of Styles, Nathan and Jake Carter, Westlife and even Boyzone. They are never content to sit at home and watch a bit of tv. They are mad for the craic and the hi-jinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Could be numerous reasons why they haven’t played here.

they only ever do a dozen or so europe dates when they do play over here.

demand greater than supply hence why certain bigger countries get priority for bands. It’s not necessarily a vendetta by a band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

They were a bit of a snooze tbh and Robbie Williams stole the show, hence him coming back to headline the following year. I say this as someone who saw The Verve a couple of times before that and had no interest in Robbie. Yet i suspected beforehand that it would work out that way on the day.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea they seem to nearly play the exact same circuit/gigs/festivals each time

Well that isn’t how I saw it. I remember the verve played all their song’s perfectly, the sound quality was great, vocals clear, music was chilled and trippy, and the stage effects were colourful and complimented by the dark night and summer weather. RW played in his tuxedo and lots in the crowd went a bit crazy to ‘let me entertain you’, not me tho. Big deal if they asked him back to headline, sure any crap act can headline in past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

I've never had a problem at Slane only good times but it's a logistical nightmare.

-Pearl Jam/Van/Neil Young

I went mainly to see Van who was completely boring. Lovely day though and Pearl Jam/Neil Young were both great.

-The Verve

Finding and taking ten Diazepam before going in made it a very strange but enjoyable day. Robbie Williams was surpirsingly good. Made it back to Dublin in time for the offie.

-U2

Second weekend and I would have preferred to be at the Ireland game but my ticket for that came through late. Zoo TV was much better but that's hard to top.

-Metallica

I was a fan from the early enough days and saw them on the justice tour in 1988 so just had to go. Weekend camping was the way to do it. Had a blast even if the weather was cold. Ride The Lightning was worth all the effort to get there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Oasis the best support?

Is this when they slinked off stage after a mediocre set that ended when they had a shoe thrown a them before the fucked off leaving nothing but feedback from the amps playing as the crowd sang Blur all the people? This is what you call best support sure like it was **** hilarious.

You talk some amount of s-hite.

• Advertisement

Ok so oasis supporting rem were crap and the verve headlining were crap. Thank Christ for Harry Styles to come and save the day it will be undoubtedly the greatest concert ever at Slane. You are the sh1t-talker not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can we get ready for the Slane gig next summer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

Right, seriously... I genuinely do not mean any sort of offence towards you, with what I'm about to say...

But, I wish people would shut the f**k up about AC/DC at Slane! The majority of you know next to nothing apart from Thunderstruck and about 2 others. It's all I've been hearing since 2005! I have been as big an AC/DC fan that you're ever likely to talk to, long before everyone jumped on the Thunderstruck bandwagon! I was there in The Point in 1996 when literally NO ONE had any interest in seeing them. In fact, there was so little interest, the gig was moved from the RDS to The Point because of poor ticket sales! So poor in fact, The Point wasn't even full and Thunderstruck had been out at 5 years at this point in time.

So what happens? Another gig like the Aviva? Where the majority go mad for Thunderstruck and then they're left going for piss breaks for the next 1hr and 55 mins? Because some song went through a renaissance? Vast majority of people last time hadn't a clue about Dirty Deeds, Have a drink on me, Shoot To Thrill, Hells Bells, Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be, High Voltage... It'll be like Guns n Roses at Slane or Bruce Springsteen in the RDS last month. 80% of the people there to get their social media selfies to Sweet Child Of Mine, November Rain or Born in The USA and Dancing In The Dark. Only with AC/DC, it'll be Thunderstruck, Rosie and maybe Highway to Hell.

At least people going to Slane this year will actually know more Harry Styles songs than not! They're not there to pretend they "always loved AC/DC" when they grew up listening to Elton John, Duran Duran, U2, Nirvana, Pearl Jam or Oasis and the only reason they think AC/DC are great is because it's weirdly, the done thing in society to like them because Thunderstruck is played in bars

And more to the point...Angus is nearly 70! Malcolm is dead! Bon died a long time ago! Brian is one gig away from going deaf and it pushing 76/77! No one knows Phil's legal matters! Cliff quit touring! What exactly do people think is going to happen? Who exactly do people think AC/DC are?

then H&M/Pennys etc selling cool band T Shirts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

But the history of the venue that they've never played.........

Agreed, punchestown was one of the greatest experiences of my life, the Aviva was great but definitely not a patch on 09. Would I go again? Probably, but not there.

I'd say their fanbase might require seating at this point as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Springsteen was fantastic at the RDS this year. I don't think 80% of people paid ~€150 to take selfies either. With any big gig (including Harry Styles) you get the casual fans who only know the big tunes. Not that I think they will play Slane (or anywhere else) next year, but the only thing that really matters is whether or not they would shift tickets and they definitely would do.

MCD will be hoping that the 'hits brigade' will be out in force for Def Leppard/Motley Crue in Marlay Park in July

'Girls Girls Girls', 'Kickstart My Heart' 'Pour Some Sugar On Me', 'Animal' and the likes Woop Woop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Wow. Chill dude.

People wanna pay money to go see a band and they only know a couple of songs- so what? You didn’t pay for their ticket did ya! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

This is exactly how I remember it. The Verve lacked energy or any sort of connection with the crowd. The songs seemed to just ramble on and on as if they hadn't ever rehearsed ending them. Before the concert I would have been embarrassed to be seen at a Robbie Williams. By the time he had finished his set I would have laid down my life for him. On the bus on the long drive home most of the chat was about How great REM had been in '95 and how entertaining Williams had been. Very little talk of The Verve.

Dont ya know you have to know at least 5 things about the 'band/act before they got big' to get into the venue ?

• Advertisement

All the bands I went to see had devoted fanbases. They were genuine fans, who loved and breathed those albums and songs. It was like being a part of something bigger when you attended. All about saying you saw an artist these days without actually liking them.

Case in point, I know people who weren't even born in 1986, former neighbour's kids who were 5 or 6 in 1986, that today claim they saw Queen in Slane and say it was the best gig ever!!

Hey, if anyone wishes to pay €150 quid to go and see an artist, who they know nothing about and don't know their songs, be my guest. If people wish to demand a gig for someone or something they know nothing about and are not even sure they actually like them, apart from one song, go for it. I just think those people are idiots...

Live music is or was always a surreal experience, where artists created moments and feelings that last forever. Where the audience and the music connected as one and the music lifted you into another world. But yeah, pay €150 quid to film Thunderstruck or Sweet Child Of Mine and post it on your socials now, then spend the rest of the gig doing next to nothing. Wonderful stuff...

Post edited by MOR316 on

Or y'know, their actual songs would be a good start.

But hey, if anyone wants to pay €150 quid to go and hear Thunderstruck and then piss about for next 2 hours, not knowing what's going on, until Whole Lotta Rosie comes on, be my guest. I'm just not that stupid and it pisses me off, that one of the bands I've followed all my life, has some sort of cheap legacy because of one song being played in bars in this country. They deserve a lot better!

I've a free ticket to Kiss later in the year. I don't like them. I'm not a fan. I do like (kinda) two of their songs though. Am I going? No, I'm not. I certainly wouldn't pay €150 for one either.

Regardless, it won't be AC/DC. Depending on what happens with Larry Mullen, if he's left or not, it could potentially be U2. Ed Sheeran is the obvious choice, but he's not MCD. Probably will be a double headline gig with Picture This, Niall Horan or whomever else. Of if the industry in this country and Bono get their way, it'll be Inhaler, playing to about 300 people...

Might even be Janet Jackson and Madonna joint headlining. (That's me jokingly speculating as they're both on tour, this year and next. Highly doubt it's them)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yep. Robbie blew The Verve off the stage that day.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Blur should be playing slane!

Definitely would. Only for a disagreement between Albarn and Mountcharles over who'd pay for the holligrams when Gorillaz were touted to play, he's being trying to get them for years.

Sold out Malahide easily and could sell another night easily. Plus factor in the thousands that just go no matter who's playing. Blur a huge draw. And if they were announced the amount of young people who'd look them up and realize they know a load of their songs.

Doesn't get much bigger than Blur!

Who else who hasn't already played has been bigger in Ireland and UK commercially than Blur? Very few. Many global bands bigger than Blur worldwide, but very few as big as them purely in this market

Blur with support by Gorillaz would be interesting.

Good pub question, who's the only man to headline Glastonbury twice in a row?

Answer obviously Damon Albarn with Gorillaz and Blur. But sure he couldn't sell out Slane, right? Nonsense

• Advertisement

Malahide is 20,000, no way blur would sell out 4x malahide a in ireland in 2023.

probably less than a dozen artists who could sell out Slane in 2024

Advertisement