Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

yeah they will run the food court but it will have stalls which food vendors can rent. I've heard a fancy Argentinian barbecue joint, Wood fired pizzas and various others will be moving in. There will be a stage for musical events also. From what I've heard it could be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Just looking at the food festival website. Tokens for the food trail are €20 for six. Food trail items can be purchased for €3.

Why would anyone buy the tokens? €18 of food for €20!

Is it just me? We do have a newborn, but I didn't think I was that sleep deprived!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

Depends on whether or not you can pay for them or must use the tokens, last time I was at Dingle Food Fair you had to use a token for the taste trail things and the extra couple of quid for the book was the contribution to run the thing I gathered. If the places let you just pay cash/card of €3 then yes it would be cheaper to do it that way but if limited to using tokens then no option!

Can't see them refusing the cash mind you 😊 It does give the impression from the wording that it's either option!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

I asked on FB, the taste trail is 6 tokens for €20, 6x€3 tokens and €2 goes to the event organizers to fund the next event. I really don't know why they put the €3 thing on the poster. As far as i know like other food festivals the Food trail will only accept tokens and no cash.

But it does look like it will be a great event and great to have in the town, so the €2 is well spent (just confusing)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

I agree the €2 is good, but no where on its website and fliers does it say what it's for! One posy on Instagram explains it. Really does not incentivise anyone to buy the tokens if you can just pay cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Planning on going to the food festival today, did any of ye go yesterday ? any tips or recommendations

I went yesterday and it was excellent really, bring plenty money if you intend buying! I know everything especially ingredients have become so expensive but it makes buying a lot of different bits prohibitive, well of course it doesn't if you have plenty money but you know what I mean.

I didn't buy the tokens but did buy two taste trail samplers for cash which for €6 were excellent value, I am going back again today for the same for my lunch :) As comparison chips and curry sc in square were €6 too, my pasta and tiramisu were far better value.

Attended a demo in the square, very good too, although and I may be showing my age I thought the volume of the singer there was way too much, she could have been easily heard even if it was turned down a bit, it was like being in a noisy pub, had to shout to talk to people I met there. Weather was beautiful, it makes all the difference!

Heading in again now in a few minutes to get my lunch and maybe a sweet treat for afters, I fancy a macaron today! Hopefully weather picks up a bit today.

As for tips, feed everyone before you go, reduces the temptation to buy loads of food!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

I went down yesterday, didn't think it was too expensive but I only tried the taste traile samplers in a couple of places. I've been meaning to get into Muerta since its gone into Matt the butchers and was head and shoulders above everything else. Great set up on the island of geese, but I found the square a bit loud too, especially since the music was right in front of the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Thanks very much for your reply, great info there. Looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

There's a place in Tralee named "Dead?"

What do they serve?

• Advertisement

Mexican BBQ, have got it a few times during covid and it was very good

https://www.facebook.com/muerte.bbq/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Posting again in the hopes of someone being able to help!

Would anyone be able to recommend a roofer? I'm having no luck getting quotes off guys. 3 different guys came out recently and they haveore or less ghosted us now. We didn't even get the quote off them! So bizarre as they seemed very knowledgeable and had a good idea of how to help. I'm worn out chasing trades people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Personally i wasn't too impressed with the whole token thing. Went to get and asked a few questions about where to use them and were just told it's online. Asked about how you'd pay otherwise and was pretty much told it wasn;t his problem. Bearing in mind this was one of the people actually running it.

In fairness the list of places is online and assuming you had a phone then it's easy look up, otherwise I don't know if they actually had flyers with them all listed, unlikely though these days when everyone has a phone! There were a lot of participants so could hardly be calling them out to you when you asked, not practical really. For Dingle or Tralee food festival I would always have looked up the participants and their offerings beforehand and noted the ones I was interested in otherwise you could miss the tasty bits you really wanted if you just used first places you met.

While the tone of the response you got doesn't sound right the answers to one is above and to the second one well you pay with cash/card like you'd pay for anything! Dingle got rid, or have tried anyway, of the cash/card option as then people are not paying the contribution towards running the Festival. I like that option as while I might buy a batch of tokens what if I really want the Taste Trail offering in another place and I have used up my book of tokens, I'm not going to buy another book just for one token, it's limiting.

When going to Dingle FF I actually print off the Taste Trail offerings days in advance, pick the ones I want and plot my route accordingly 😁 You could miss a load of the best stuff if you just go at it randomly.

So Abra is gone. Unit for sale now as well. Hard to see what could go in there outside of another food business, as with the kitchen etc it's actually not that big of a unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I presume the seating area upstairs goes with it. Hmm...if New Yorkers around the corner remains vacant indefinitely, I can't see this unit filling up quickly. Maybe a regular style cafe/restaurant similar to North South might open? There's enough junk/fast-food takeaways in town....

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Wasnt it suggested that a developer owns most of that centre and was waiting for all remaining owners to sell up, so I presume they will buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Fire last night on mitchels road of a vacant eyesore that was on the market for quiet a while .

The Maxol petrol station in Abbeydorney is changing hands and becoming a Corrib Oil.

They've gotten rid of the hardware section which is a huge loss to locals . Nearest hardware store now is tralee

Corrib Oil are really starting to get into the Kerry market. They're in Kenmare as well. That Maxol has been there a long time.

• Advertisement

It's a huge loss to the area. Many a time I've popped over for tools or other bits.

Will be interesting to see what it becomes.

Staff are being kept on

I often pop out to that hardware for no other reason than it kept me half sane during lockdown so I feel obliged to support it! Yes it was a little outside the prescribed limit but took a chance and at least you could buy a tin of paint or a few bits to do some projects to stop from going mad with the boredom!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Now I have never been to the Rose ball, or never intended to, but you would think such an event would be self financing? Or has interested weaned in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I think in previous years it used fund a large proportion of the costs of the ROT but that was when you had 1500 paying customers in the dome

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I get the impression that the whole thing has the wrong people behind it, people who aren't too hot at getting lucrative sponsorship, not to mention people who make the wrong decisions about venues etc. It's dying a little more each year.

imo it's gone downhill ever since  O’Gara came along. I get the vibe a lot of Tralee businesses won't support it anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

They put the price of the ball tickets up to €200 last year, and it was on in the MTU. I did hear it had sold out, but I don't think they would have had the same capacity as the dome. I was only ever at the ball once, back in 2000. It was ok, nothing amazing. My parents used to go every year when I was growing up, they loved it.

I can't see how the festival is going to be able survive based on todays announcement.

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree with this more. He was crying in January that he would wanted to move away from paying to rent the sports hall in MTU and said after last year's festival he'd be going around with his hat in his hand looking for 500 from businesses in town. Something is not right about the whole move from the Rose Hotel with the history there either.

Advertisement