Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

no-one would even organise a pissup without discussion, yet here we are all talking about a UI with any proper discussion at all (though one fella thought people talking about it on boards was a 'nationwide discussion')

there you go again completely ignoring the reality. As I already mentioned, because of collusion - you know, security forces working hand in hand with loyalists to murder and also kill and blame 'themuns' - you cant say how many apparent republican murders were actually carried out by republicans. The british army was well aware they were in a war, so they played it like a war. Thats the way it was so Im not complaining about that aspect, but its a bit silly to pretend these things didnt happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Nobody is pretending "these things did'nt happen". Humans being humans, of course they happened, especially when you consider there were hundreds of thousands of people involved. As collusion happened between the Gardai and IRA for example ( as proven in the Smithwick tribunal) , what about the collusion between the Irish government / politicians and IRA ( arms trial, Haughey, Blaney etc)??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

What aspects are missing from the discussion ? Introduce them to the discussion instead of complaining on the side lines. To me it looks like you want to stifle discussion on a UI possibly because of the superficial support in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There is a whole raft of information required from the British exchequer - how exactly the subvention breaks down - what they intend/propose about pensions etc - what their vision of the transition period would be.

Same goes for the rest of the EU, US etc.

Most important is opinion on the isaland as to the way forward.

This is stuff you can guess at, but it would only be that - a guess.

• Advertisement

I'd say the UK,EU,US etc has more to do that to think / plan about something that will never happen ( not in our lifetimes anyway, maybe in 100 years ).

Even our own government should sort out the hospital crisis, the crime / drug problems in Dublin, our own youth emigrating to commonwealth countries like Australia etc, nobody able to afford a house here, ordinary Irish workers not being able to holiday or even go for a long weekend in Ireland this summer because everything is so expensive / full of Ukranians etc, the cost of cars gone through the roof ( cars often being necessary in much of Ireland because public transport is so bad ), VAT on new houses here ( no vat in UK on housing) . Why the F+++ are ordinary cars here €20,000 more expensive than in UK, France, Germany, America?

Sure economics is really an educated guess anyways. There is no absolute correct answer to the cost of unity. We'll only find out after the fact.

Just seem like excuses to me. Take your example of the pension. In NI its 164 euro and in Ireland its 265. So we either have to pay 265 euro x number who receive it NI or 100 euro ie the difference, by the same factor. Now the pension is more complicated than that but the point is that the data is available now. Experts can calculate many of the costs under different scenarios right now.

'Experts' have had a go at this and have chosen different starting points - why? Because we don't have the info (outlined above) that we need.

More than likely we won't have that info for a Citizen Assembly either. The logical thing is to map out all scenarios. What it might cost and how it will be payed for would be separate strands in my opinion.

• Advertisement

100 ordinary people - like the audience on the late late for example - would not agree on anything if they were from all parts of Ireland, all social classes etc. The rich / highly skilled / successful from some parts of Ireland would certainly boycott it because they would have more to do with their time than argue politics with those from the other end of the spectrum. Let us be realistic.

Realistically, it seems you don't have a clue what a CA is.

It's remit is not to 'agree', it is to gauge the widest range of opinion available and to transmit that opinion to the drafters of policy.

FFS if you need to spend a fortune to gather 100 people together "to gauge the widest range of opinion available" as you say, you must have been living on a different planet all your life. I'd say mostly shinners would turn up, most other people would feel intimidated not to, for a start. I would not turn up anyway, so how could it "gauge the widest range of opinion available"? And believe it or not, I am not an extremist, I always condemned the paramilitaries on both sides.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Quote: why aren't we discussing in full all the aspects outlined in a UI (not just what a man in a newspaper says).

I would not count John Fitzgerald as 'a man in a newspaper' at all. He is a very respected economist in the ERSI, and know a thing or two about economics.

Now I do not agree with all he posits about the cost of a UI. [The subject of this thread, but not apparently so judging by the majority of comments posted!]

There are some basics that are likely to be the basis for a UI as far as the NI economy is concerned, and John Fitzgerald can be considered an expert on such matters.

However, the intent of the UK Gov cannot be guessed at because it depends on which party is in Gov, and on who is SoS for NI, and the Gov attitude to getting a troublesome part of the UK to go away, or retaining sovereignty over all of the UK or its not that important and if the people of NI want to go to a UI - ell good luck to them.

Once that position is known, the speculation of cost can begin.

All would become clear once a referendum is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I think talk of a UI hides an underlying insecurity of the fact that

a) most people don't care for it

b) most people certainly don't want to pay for it

c) most people have more pressing issues in their day to day

If you need a CA to let you know what to think on the issue, then I fear a UI will be even longer away than I thought, and I felt a UI would be 40-50 years away.

Do you now understand the purpose of a CA?

If you 'don't turn up' when invited, then like your vote if you don't turn up to use it, you have given tacit approval to whatever happens, as it clearly doesn't matter enough to you.

In the referendum of '73, everyone in N.I. was invited to turn up in a free and fair referendum on the future of NI. ( to stay in the UK or to go in to a UI) : but then you disagree with your own statement "if you don't turn up' when invited, then like your vote if you don't turn up to use it, you have given tacit approval to whatever happens, as it clearly doesn't matter enough to you."

The majority of the electorate did urn up. The majority of the electorate did vote to remain part of the UK. But you side with those who did not turn up and you condoned the minority who resorted to violence in a effort to obtain the minority position in the referendum.

It's not '73 anymore.

Nobody except yourself sees that Ref as anything other than a one-sided opinion.

The last referendum is the last referendum.

Lots of people will see the last referendum as relevant when / if it comes to discussing the next one.

Why do you side with those who did not turn up, especially when you condoned the minority who resorted to violence in a effort to obtain the minority position in the referendum. You cannot have it both ways.

I never condoned violence, it was wrong from the very beginning.

And I bet you nobody but a fringe few will reference '73.

You are the only one, even here, that I see talking about it.

*I'm sure a few will now feign interest, but up to now, nobody saw it as having any significance.

I'm not debating it anymore btw, nothing more to be said.

• Advertisement

I don't see any relevance with the previous referendum but it was valid because the majority voted for it and the boycott would of made no difference anyways.

Referendums can't be judged as valid or not just because you don't like the outcome.

You can have any opinion you want jh79

My opinion of the 73 ref is that it was massively boycotted and was therefore not a valud representation of the situation.

It still passed and the wishes of those who did vote were followed.

It was also an internal UK ref.

This time around because of what was achieved in the GFA, the Irish government on behalf of us in the south will be involed - the all Ireland dimension.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Was there not a UK referendum in 1975 to stay in the EEC passed by 67% of the vote? Why did they hold a second one in 2016 - just 41 years later?

Oh well, then a second referendum on a UI after 50 years and counting not be reasonable?

What they are looking for if there is a second referendum is multiple built in Unionist veto's and it is nationalists who are undemocratic asking for a one person, one vote straight up referendum. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

SF can get away with stuff in opposition but dare I say in government if they are pushing this along with the country having to deal with issues, the electorate won't thank them.

I think its safe to say in 18-24 months' time, talk of a border poll will be put on the back burner.

We had that conversation before. You never condoned violence because the pira never used violence (according to you): it was the loyalists / British .(only, according to you).

Is there any point asking you to back up this statement?

You only have 688 posts, shouldn't be hard to find the post where I made this bizarre claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The last sting of a dying wasp…….🤭

With the hunting around for multiple vetos and ways to winkle out of the GFA, while all the while their combined vote falls, it certainly seems like something is dying alright.

• Advertisement

my god, it really has went right over your head. read the PDF i linked - its all outlined in there. my god, lets not debate it publicly as a nation, just talk balls on an internet forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement