Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭DataDude

Prop queries

’there was 60mm of rain in Cambodia yesterday. I think this clearly shows that there will certainly be AT LEAST a 60% drop in Irish House Prices in the next 3 months’

No end to that man’s creativity. The thread was better with him around.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

He was definitely prone to a tangent, but I think there was some method in his madness. For example he was pointing out the impact of institutional money hoovering up everything in site and leasing them back to the government long before it became fashionable to moan about that.

Certainly agree the thread was better with him. Never really understood why he was banned. Irrespective of whether he was right or wrong, he was endlessly polite in the face of the dog's abuse his posts attracted.

In an case I doubt he'd come back now anyway even if he was allowed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

But what will the Shinners actually do regarding housing?

increase vacant land tax, yes.

Possibly restrict investment funds, which will just lead to fewer homes being built, not more.

We arent going to magic up thousands of tradesmen becasue the Shinners get in. So where is their labour?

I just dont see a clear path to them actually increasing output, especially when facing into a headwind of higher interest rates and building costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The shinners are the real unknown to be honest but they have made serious ground on the promise of fixing housing so I doubt they will be more of the same, but it is an unknown.

Well a really simple and cheap way would be to up the modular home initiative. This would give those needing a home somewhere to live and would ease the pressure valve on supply.

I mean you make statement after statement about construction companies not building but expect our younger generation to afford higher prices when they cant afford the current prices today. Companies are feeling the pinch with the cost of living and energy crisis and in a lot of cases cannot afford pay rises so where does the people 30 and under get the cash from, the banks are upping their rates on a monthly basis so this option is most likely going to cost more.

Funny you say we cant magic up thousands of tradesmen when we literally did that from 2021 to 2022 we have just added 40k construction jobs.

You argue without facts you are literally licking your finger and sticking it in the air to see what way the wind is blowing when it comes to your opinion.

https://irishbuildingmagazine.ie/2022/09/01/cso-report-shows-40000-increase-in-construction-employment/

The Shinners are certainly an unknown prospect and yes, they have clearly set their stall out on house building.

But as we all know, promises are often made with little substance by politicians.

I am interested to see how they will increase housing output. What will they do differently...

I like the Modular home idea and there will likley be precedent for that at scale to house Asylum Seekers.

I wonder whether these homes will be objected into oblivion in urban areas, where people want to live, though.

I agree that the young folks cant afford the prices, but that doesnt mean the Shinners will oversee increased housing output, it just means that either the young wont get a look in (like today) or the prices will fall. Which, of course, is likley.

40k increase in contruction staff is a lot in 12 months, put its post covid and from Q2 2021 to Q2 2022.

Most industries were resetting during that period, so its to be expected.

i am thinking more in comparitive terms with today. The industry isnt going to expand at that rate from now and over the next 5 years.

If we take 2022 and 2023 housing outputs, which is 23k to 30k in 2022 and perhaps 20k to 25k this year, are the Shinners likley to up that output significantly?

I dont really see how.

Construction industry is expected to expand about 4% annually over the next 3 years, so no sign of large numbers of staff being made available from here on out.

Perhaps SF will invest more heavily in social housing completions & scale up teams there and hopefully they would take some blockages out of the planning process. But all that will take time to enact and years to realise.

Over the next 5 yrs, its hard to see the numbers rising too much over 30k per year, regardless of who is in govt.

Hopefully I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

As a current house hunter in the Dublin area, all I am seeing is higher asking prices and plenty of money to buy in the 300-400k range. Earlier this year I looked at a 3-bedroom house with garage for sale in Drimnagh, listed at €325, but with really low interest/demand at the beginning of the year 300k would have sealed the deal. Today houses that were being listed at high 2s or low 3s are now being listed at 340-350k. I see now two bed corpos in Drimnagh currently making >350k. Here's one that's currently at 375k (myhome website is a disaster for me currently)...

The price falls reported must be nationally as I'm not seeing it where I'm looking in my price range in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Well I predict that there will be a softening, time will tell especially if IR stay elevated for the next year or so and the 3-4 year fixer mortgage people at very low interest rates from 2019/covid times end up with some slapped ar$e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Villa05

The people that took a mortgage holiday during Covid may be feeling the pinch. I do hope they had the foresight to lock in there rates prior to the increases

You won't see price drops at that level in Dublin, more likely to see more competition as those that were fishing in the 400/500k pool have been kicked out to the 300/400k pool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The whole point of building operations being a web of shell companies is there are no assets to take. It is criminal but it is how things are done.

It is a blunt instrument but some sort of use it or lose it has to be introduced into the planning system. As is it is a p!sstake where planning permission is a speculative instrument rather than an intention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Murph3000

It will be interesting to see effect of two more rate hikes on the market.

More interesting will be what happens if banks are forced to up their deposit rates and knock on effects on mortgage markets. I am hearing more and more people moving money out of Irish banks to try chase yields.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Murph3000

Interesting, what actions have you taken on the back of your predictions, out of curiosity. Or are you just looking for points?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Your looking at this from the POV of the company if an asset is not used there is a tax someone somewhere has to pay if its not used, shell companies can transfer assets I am sure there would be a cost for doing this not to mention a tax. It needs to be done from the asset POV if someone has planning to build and the site is left vacant each year its not built on tax needs to be paid on it by someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I mean something a bit more brutal - if planning permission is given on a site and no significant works are done within a fixed period of time, then the planning permission is lost outright. Merely taxing unused permissions does not break them as an asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,562 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Would that apply to all planning permissions? How would that effect people unable to build their one off house in that specified time?

Developers may also just apply for new planning prior to the time period elapsing, therefore negating the requirement to pay tax as sites going through the planning process may be exempt.

Wow,

There are 2,840 short-term lets available in Dublin, with only 680 long-term rentals available.

There are almost 100-times more properties available on Airbnb for short-term let in Co Kerry than rental properties on Daft.

There are also 66-times more Airbnb properties on offer in Co Clare than there is to rent on Daft

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Hardly surprising though? Let your spare property out on Airbnb, guaranteed to receive the rent once it is occupied, and guaranteed that the occupant will vacate on the agreed date, and I'm certain that there's cover from Airbnb if the property gets ruined.

None of these guarantees are offered for long term letting to a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

Short lets are always listed. Daft rentals get taken down. It’s more appropriate comparing airbnbs vs rtb registered tenancies…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Given below was announced as approved today, does anyone know when a decision will be made on the Hammersmith development located at the old shopping centre?

Planning permission granted for 852 social and affordable homes on Central Mental Hospital site in Dundrum

Saw that also.

Not sure about the Hammerson development. Its taking an age.

Do we know what the affordable/social split will be at Dundrum Mental Hospital?

I am hoping its significantly leaning towards affordable(though i doubt it), as every complex going up seems to either be high end or social. Nothing in the middle.

I feel sorry for those on middle incomes. Earn too much for social and not enough for private rent/purchase.

They are the forgotten group that pay their way and yet are destined to aspire to house share. So wrong.

• Advertisement

The market is at the margin not the complete stock. You can't enter a rental agreement on an occupied home.

The comparison is like for like

Number of full units available for short term let v long term let

How can you solve a housing issue if buyers can make them mini B&B's and lock them up for 8 months of the year.

Fair enough in an oversupply issue. Could be an easy win for a new government

Prospects of LL recovering the money owed, virtually zero I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Does anybody know how this works? The tenants are 'ordered' to pay, what happens then? They agree to pay a pittance every month for the next 50 years, or they just ignore it and nothing happens? Or, they ignore it and go to jail?

Has anybody any experience of this?

It's such an easy win you've got to wonder why current government has not taken advantage of it.

I dont know the answer to your specfic question and imagine its on a case by case basis, based on assessed affordability of the tenant.

One recent change in the law relevant to the article is the HAP payment adaption, which means if a tenant stops paying their contribution to the landlord, for whatever reason, the local authority will continue to pay the HAP portion to the landlord for 12 months.

Why they didnt do this in the first place is beyond me (and why restrict to 12 months only) but its better than nothing.

Post edited by BlueSkyDreams on

Because property owners are for the most part, voters. People are fed up being told what they can and can’t do with their homes. Also, the Government has substantially reduced available beds for guests/tourists by temporarily renting hotels/guesthouses themselves for Ukrainians fleeing the war. In some tourist areas, businesses are tanking without tourists, airbnbs are the only accomadation available.

What some don’t seem to realise is that many, if not all short let owners have made the decision not to let to long term tenants. I have an Airbnb house, it will sit empty before I let it to a tenant.

I think everybody realises all STL owners have made a conscious decision not to let to long term tenants. From their point of view it's the entirely rational decision to take.

I suspect your attitude that your Airbnb property will sit empty rather than be made available to long term rental market is typical of most Airbnb property owners.

That's exactly why any serious attempt to alleviate the housing crisis needs to stamp that out.

A proper ban on Airbnbs and a vacancy tax with teeth is urgently required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,646 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

As long as its virtually impossible to evict somebody, property owners will find ways to avoid long term lets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭DataDude

Property owners may be voters. But most property owners are not letting on Airbnb.

I’m a property owner and I’d be hugely supportive of banning STLs until the housing crisis was less pronounced. This would need to go hand in hand with a crippling vacant property tax of course to stop people letting them sit idle (although tbh, I doubt many people would let a valuable asset sit completely idle anyway instead of just selling. Rarely would this make any sense). I suspect many property owners would be similar to me.

Advertisement