Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards DCM22 Graduates Thread - A Deeper Understanding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

Curious by what you mean by getting your target via your Strava logs, how does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi Arknine,

Well done on your first marathon! It’s a shame it turned into such a slog. I’ve a couple of questions.

1. What was your hydration like for the week leading up to the marathon?
    2. You mention food the day before? What about the few days before?
    3. Maybe your taper was not enough? You more or less raced a half marathon 2-3 weeks before? The 1:34?
    4. The 1:34 marathon would indicate a 3:15 full marathon based on the Tinman calculator and probably say to add on 10-20 mins to that for your first marathon which would be 4:48 pace say … you possibly went out too fast and burnt yourself out and with the warm weather too it just killed you?

They would be my initial thoughts. Somebody may spot something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

thanks for your thoughts and comments

here are my (disappointing) responses :

1. hydration for the prior week was the same as usual, which is to say, poor
    2. again, my diet in the prior week was unfocused , I was on the road a fair bit, so grabbed salads/sandwiches on the hoof, then hoovered up whatever leftovers from the kids when I got home
    3. yes/no/don’t know - the 1,34 wasn’t raced but was at the upper end of the tempo pace ie a comfortable hard push (if that makes sense) , this was two weeks out, and the last fast session, I had already reduced mileage c.25% that week. I do have an issue running intervals, and tend to pick a pace and hold it from start to finish for a run (so long way to agreeing that running 21k above marathon pace 2 weeks out is probably not sensible)
    4. agree, I think also that my aerobic base just isn’t broad or deep enough. Jumping from 0km to 55km per week in a month, then to 100km per week within 5months is just not long enough to provide the engine I need to hold that pace (currently).

lots to think about. I wasn’t totally naive with regard to fuelling but had not fully embraced the carb-loading concept (and pre-hydration) with only a glancing nod towards that.

my taper was loose and I should have capped the faster Km’s within more structured sessions and not held them for the entire run.….. and yes probably too fast at the start, but I promise I was trying really hard to slow it right down!

roll on Dublin in October and a chance to tweak the preparation and approach and get it nailed next time out.

https://runalyze.com/dashboard

all variations on the same theme whereby you link your strava account and they analyse your mileage and paces over the preceding 8 weeks (or so) and model estimated finish times....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

@arknine congratulations on marathon number 1. That is a great time. Don't worry about the blow up at the end. It is something to learn from.

@Lazare gels every 6k like arknine yay or nay. I was taking 1 an hour and think I would be sick taking them every 30 mins. However I am open to increasing intake. What is the established thought on it?

Haven't posted myself since Belfast. Reduced the running a bit over the last month doing 4 runs/week instead of the 5. I took 4 or 5 days off after the marathon. Tendons have been sore since but ive been largely taking it handy (other than 1 5k where I missed pb by 4 secs ☹). The heat is a killer for me wrt running.

thank you for the warm welcome!

yeah, with regard to the positive split, not the best plan, but in my eyes i thought i was leaning into my tendency to lose some pace over the course of the long runs and thereby account for it 🫣

i think the progression in the three months was heightened by the very low base i was coming from as well, but fair comment, i wanted my easy runs to be finished quicker , which is a recipe for running too fast 🫣🫣

will read up on hanson as well over the next two weeks and commit to a structured plan , thank you.

... and now as i am officially marathoner (and hopefully an improver) i'll go do some lurking there as well 😊

#noted re:Dublin 🏃‍♂️🥵💥

You've an absolutely fantastic attitude, and positive mindset. Exactly what you need.

Hey PR, no harm at all scaling things back a little. 4 days per week is great consistent running, nice one.

Re fuelling, the accepted wisdom is 30 - 60g per hour. Gels are what generally, about 22 - 25g?

Every 30 mins or so seems optimal I would think, but every 45 should keep you well fuelled also.

@Kellygirl has a lot more knowledge in this area and may be able to steer better.

It's actually something I feel I need to improve on myself.

Yep, you can take loads from this to nail Dublin. I was drinking 3-4L water a day the few days before Dublin last year with 2 salt tablets a day too. It was 94/95% humidity that day and a lot of people struggled. I did too at the latter stages but think I would have been a complete goner if I hadn’t been so well hydrated prior to it. Nutrition is so so important too. You don’t have to stuff yourself but assuming you are eating well then you would just be upping your carb intake by another 300 calories or so (2 slice of toast and jam, some rice cakes) on top of a good diet the few days before. Fill those muscles with glycogen.

Have a look at the marathon improvers thread but feel free to join the mentored novice thread too. You aren’t exactly a novice but we’ll be covering all this closer to Dublin and route specific info etc.

You don’t have to just take gels … there are lots of options to increase carbs. You can mix and match. You can also use carb drinks along with gels. Tailwind is great. It’s a carb and electrolyte powder and you sip it every mile to keep yourself topped up. Obviously carrying a liquid can be a pain but a number of us bought soft squishy bottles from Decathlon last year, put the tailwind powder in and added water en route. Decathlon had these handy belts to carry them. I found I could hack Maurten gels every half hour. Some of the others are too sickly. Trial and error. Lots of people think it’s great not to fuel during long training runs. I’d be of the opinion it’s better to to fuel all of them practising different types of fuel. You also have the benefit then that you recover faster after a long run and shouldn’t be exhausted for the rest of the day … and no bother getting back to training either straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

An impressive debut all round. The others have identified the most obvious areas for improvement: better structure, better hydration, better pacing on the day. It's hard to get all this right, and much harder first time out. Your 5k time suggests you have potential to really knock big lumps out of that M time as you improve but the first step is to develop the endurance, and that takes years really. The good news is that 50 is not that old to be starting out and you can look forward to at least a decade and more of improvement, with the right approach. The more mileage you clock up (at the right intensity), the more adapted your body becomes to running the marathon distance and the more improvement you will see from year to year. Lazare's Hanson suggestion is excellent - I would definitely recommend it over P&D. It's simpler, but just as relentless.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

arknine, forgive my arguments from ignorance, I'm new to this sport myself but IMO critical pieces of information are

1. You slow down during long runs despite fuelling with gels.

2. Your average run pace is very fast.

This suggests you have been mostly running on glycogen and glucose, and have underdeveloped aerobic base despite high volume. This makes performance over long distances fragile because if you mess up the fuelling e.g. due to dehydration and therefore inadequate carb absorption your fallback (fat burning) place is cripplingly low.

Solution is plenty of genuine fasted Z2 and only speed up (if you must) after the first hour, i.e. progression runs, because as soon as you speed up you'll switch to glycogen and probably won't go back for the rest of the run.

Your ability to absorb high volume pacy running is very impressive but maybe leave the speed for fast sessions.

Happy to be swiftly corrected by those with more running experience.

On the other hand maybe you have a godlike digestion, are destined for Ironman greatness and just need to sort out your hydration 😀

Thanks Lumen,

I think what you say about me having an underdeveloped aerobic base (despite high volume) due to high avg run pace makes sense and resonates with me.

progression runs, as you suggest, might be helpful here, but I need to get back to slow and consistent z2 kms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Z2 is essential- but to achieve optimal training efficiency you should be incorporating a comprehensive regimen that encompasses a variety of running techniques. To enhance endurance, prioritize engaging in Z2 runs while also integrating LT (lactate threshold), VO2 max, and steady runs into your routine. For VO2 max workouts, consider performing 10 sets of 400-meter intervals, which will significantly elevate your cardiovascular capacity. Additionally, focus on completing 3 to 4 intervals ranging from 1 to 1.6 kilometers at LT pace to further develop your ability to sustain a high-intensity effort. Incorporating hill sprints throughout the week will amplify the benefits derived from Z2 training, leading to significant performance improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This 2010 article possibly meets the criteria of "deeper understanding". 😀

Metabolic Factors Limiting Performance in Marathon Runners https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2958805/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Can someone explain what Z2 is? I am sure I am not the only one who has no idea wtf the last few posts are about 🤣

It basically means easy, or very easy running. It stands for Zone 2, a bpm range in heart rate training.

Running on an empty stomach, fasted. Idea being that you train the body to become more efficient at burning fat as a fuel source. Working those systems in your training really.

Carb depletion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Get up early in the morning and go for a slow easy run before you eat anything.

So how did the folks running Cork get on?

Testing conditions yesterday, hope you guys did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

It was pretty testing all right, I don't think I've ever done a 10k in that sort of weather never mind a marathon. There wasn't a cloud in the sky or any sort of wind

Personally it was a little disappointing, I'd hoped for 3:45-4hrs. It was all going pretty well for me up to 31k when I felt cramp in my right calf. I had to stop and stretch it out a bit, got going again for another few km but the both calves locked, I never recovered so spent the rest of the race walking/ running between bouts of cramp. Came home in 4:02, was pretty gutted. The 4hr pacer passed me at the 25 mile marker, I managed to catch back up to them but then the calves locked up so that was that.

Overall I thought it was a really good race, a nice route and a lot great support. The finish the whole way up Patrick St was really good.

A group of us travelled down for the weekend so the post race beers in the sun were lovely. Had a great weekend overall.

As an aside I'd appreciate any advice on avoiding cramp, that's 2 marathons now and both times cramping in the calves ruined it. This time I was drinking 5-6 pints of water each day for the week before, also took electrolytes each day and had 3 salt tablets during the race as well as plenty of fluids and a gel every 7km so I honestly don't know what else I could have done. Also had been doing plenty of stretching, even had a sports massage a week ago. Not sure I could handle putting all the effort in for another training block for it to be ruined in this way again.

Gutted for you that you had that experience, I can really sense the frustration.

A couple of things though. You did everything right in your block, and your lead in and taper.

The conditions were brutal. Your body was simply working much harder because of it.

If we do things by the book we should maybe adjust our goal on a morning like that, but it's real tough to do so. I know I probably wouldn't. Actually, no probably, I simply wouldn't, even though I should.

Try not let what happened dishearten you and turn you off going again.

You've a sample size of 2 which is nothing.

I've cramped in two of my three marathons, and both times were due to not managing the effort well enough.

Ecoli mentioned recently that it can take someone ten marathons to truly get a handle on it.

Bottom line is, you prepped well, go prep well again and smash the next one.

Some good points @Lazare, in hindsight maybe I could have adjusted my goal a little but as you say easier said than done. I'm not totally disappointed, it was still a 17 minute improvement on my Dublin time

Oh man, I didn't cop that!

A 17 min improvement on a day like that is phenomenal growth. It's disappointing missing out on a round number target, coming so close to it, but there's so so much you can take away from that performance.

I question the madness of a June BH weekend marathon if I'm honest. You start your block on Winter's verge, cold and dark still. You don't really get much warm weather training then bang you've to race 26.2 in the Sahara. Tough stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Congrats A 17 min pb in those conditions is fantastic. I headed out for an easy jog at 8 am and I felt the heat at that stage - couldn’t imagine running a 10k not a mind a marathon on Sun.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I did a long, easy run yesterday here in Dublin and I struggled with it at times. A marathon would have fecking killed me. I can see why you are gutted, I would be too but a 4:02 marathon on a day like that is a sub 4:00 on a less intense day. Look at it this way, if you got painfully close to a sub 4 marathon in that heat, next time when you have more training under your belt and more suitable weather, you will probably smash it. I think you can at least partly blame the cramping on the heat as well. You must have been sweating like crazy.

I did an 11k yesterday and was absolutely wrecked during it just a month after running sub 4 in Belfast. I cannot imagine doing a marathon in yesterdays weather.

Repeat exactly what you did yesterday for Dublin in October and see how you go.

I am aiming for 3:45 for Dublin so might see you there 👍🏾

• I can't run in this heat atm. Live in Manchester and for example it's 22c at 9am tomorrow. Have a feeling it's going to be like this for months

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Hey Everyone,

Bit of an update from myself.

My running had been really strong for the first 3 months of the year and i was targeting the Cork Marathon.

I ended up getting a chest infection in March and because i wanted to make Cork i ended up running more than i should have, this resulted in me being much sicker over March and April due to not letting my body recover. I ended up with a really bad strep throat and chest infection in April so I stopped running for the guts of 3/4 weeks to recover.

Back running now and feeling good, targeting Dublin but have a few races over the summer which i'm working towards a PB which brings me to my races this year.

I completed the Naas 10 mile at the start of March, my PB for 10 mile was 1:24. Went out really strong and felt really good. Ended up hitting 1:19 so a PB of 5 mins. Also my 10 mile time from 2022 was 1:30 so 11 mins better year on year.

I did the Athletics Ireland 5 Mile race yesterday and was hoping for a PB but i also completed Hell and Back on Saturday so my main goal was to just go out and enjoy the run. Everything went really good and my legs felt good and finished the race in 39:01 which gave me a PB of 6 seconds. My time for 5 mile from 2022 was 46 mins so 7 mins better year on year. All things considered i'm delighted with that and my next focus is on the Fingal 10k on the 16th July. I'm aiming for about 46/47 mins which i know is more than achievable once my training stays consistent.

Hope all the training is going well!

• Advertisement

Great to see you back in the thread, and sorry to hear of how rough you had it in March/April.

Still notching up PBs though 👊

Many more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Forgive me father it has been 5 weeks since my last confession 😂

I think the last time I updated I said I was feeling good, had built back up and was taking a down week, which were all true. However, come week 2 after the build up to 65k per week I was feeling a bit tired. there has been loads on at home since a confirmation at the end of April and all the school activities, a kids birthday party, work being a bit nuts and all that goes with life. I actually really didn't feel like ramping right back up again and building. So I kept it at what I felt like doing, conscious that I was going into only my second marathon block, maybe I should take it easy on myself and go with the build up again.

So I did, I kept ticking along but didn't put myself under too much pressure and ran what I wanted to, when I wanted to. So I tripped along at somewhere between 45K and 50K for each of the weeks of June - I'll come back this this point later..

Also I then had a 5K on the 30th, and again, really conscious of what happened last time I added speed and distance into my training I kept the volume comfortable and added a little speed work in. A set of 100's 200' 400's, a bit of steady running which was to keep the HR under 150 and worked out at roughly last years marathon pace, a set of 5x1k which gave me a bit of confidence that there was maybe the potential to do something good in the 5k and then a set of 12 x 200's which I like to use to recruit the muscles that couldn't be arsed engaging most of the time when I'm running!

Saint Coca's 5K Race report

I wasn't sure what would happen here, I wanted it to go well as I wanted a confidence booster for starting the marathon block. Earlier in the year I said I'd target going sub 19 this year - 4 trips to the physio scratched that off the list for me. I did however say that I'd target a sub 20 for this.. which was ambitious...

Headed over and joined @skyblue46 and S on their warm up and saw @Murph_D and @Laineyfrecks on their warm ups too. I'm not sure what I was feeling here, I very much tried to keep it out of my mind, so not nervous but certainly not gung-ho. We lined up and I hung back a bit, I knew Lainey was going for a sub 20 and was being paced by @scotindublin but I wasn't sure I could join that particular bus, confidence wasn't there for it I think. I would have been happy with a 20:XX

It was a really congested start, loads of runners very tightly packed, we were off and although it was busy I didn't find it too bad in that everyone around me was running at a fair auld pace so there wasn't much overtaking or weaving needed. I was keeping an eye on the watch for the first km, just making sure I wasn't going too fast, hitting around the 4m/km mark and after 1 k I did a mental check, i was feeling ok, breathing was fine and it didn't feel too hard, good sign. Again most of the runners around me were doing a very similar pace, a very strong field I must say, and I just kept it going.

I think somewhere between 1 and 2 k's I saw Lainey and scotindublin up ahead. Knowing what they were up to I tried to keep them in sight. Now for the fuzzy part, I basically hopped onto the very last seat of the bus and for almost the rest of the race I only focused on the shoes in front of me. Sometimes they were close, sometimes father away, but that was all I could see. I knew were were on some country roads, noticed some undulations, at 2.7k I looked at the watch, 3.58 average, this was good and I wasn't struggling, just tried to keep it up.... My mantra was drop the shoulders, breath steady and relax. I kept telling myself this over and over

3.7K is a thing for me, every 5K I hit that distance and want to stop, everything hurts and I want to give up, I didn't this time, I kept relaxed. 4.2K was another story, it hit me like a brick and hurt, but it was only 800 to go, I could do this, I passed S here with a little thumbs up on my part, it was nothing like what I felt!!. Someone was shouting sprint now, I'm short sighted, I couldn't see the gantry so I'd no idea why, suddenly it appeared and I put in a burst, across the line, 19.54, I was really very pleased, only my second every sub 20.

There was a bit of a huddle afterwards and mostly happy faces. I thanked scotindublin, although he had no idea who I was or that he was pacing me as well and a big congrats to Lainey who also went sub 20 and a very well deserved result for her. @AuldManKing joined us and was talking about the housing estate, I was totally perplexed, I had absolutely no memory of running through a housing estate 🤯

The 5K is a bit of a beast, I mentally struggle with it. My interval times suggest sub 20 shouldn't be an issue for me at all, as do a couple of my longer distance pb's but for some reason going sub 20 is a real challenge mentally, perhaps with my second sub 20 under my belt it won't seem like such a huge hill to get over....

Back to the point I made about the base running I was doing. I can't remember which youtube video I was watching, could even have been an amalgamation of a few however there was chat about building up your base, not just in a block but over time and how it can take years to get your fundamental base up. I was looking back at my log from last year and around June my base level was around 30 to 35 k per week before going into the marathon plan. June this year, it was 45k, I think this shows that the base is building and what I can handle week on week is increasing. When I find the video I'll throw it up here as I'd be interested in other people opinions.

Fantastic work P, it's a sign of a well ran 5k when you can't remember any of it 😊

You're so right about sub 20 being a mental challenge. It's an arbitrary number/target but for some reason it's really difficult to conquer, even when you know you're capable of it. You're gonna find them easier to crack from now on. Awesome stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Absolutely delighted for you🤗 it was a brilliant run from you, happy to be able to celebrate it with you afterwards 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Class running and glad to have helped out but you done all the hard graft. Amazing result.

Anyone doing the 10k this weekend? It has been over a month since I properly raced so going to go for a pb before marathon training proper starts. I never do 10ks so a pb shouldn't be overly difficult

Yes I'm doing it too, not sure about a PB but I'll give it a rattle in any case. And just like you into the block proper then.

Mileage has been a little low however with the 5k race a couple of weeks ago and now this 10k I though it was best not to push both at once. Did get 19k in over the weekend, it was a bit of a struggle with the heat, I need to get heat fit!

My current 10k pb is a training run and is over 12 mins slower than my best 5 mile this year so even at a moderate pace I should be beating it. I am not sure I have ever done a 10k race tbh. I usually miss them in the race series due to hols. The only one I can recall doing is the Port Tunnel 10K in 2006 😅

My time on that one is lost in antiquity

Fingal 10k Race update.

Last years time for this race was 1 hour 5 mins. I had only started training for the marathon and didn't prepare or train for this race at all and then with the heat on the day it was just awful.

This year I was determined to go out and smash it, training has been going really good and i knew i could comfortably get a PB. My Previous PB was 52:39 mins from 2019.

They slightly changed the route from last year, about the 8km mark you run into the park beside the castle and this is the only party i didn't like, the paths were quite small and people bunched up made it very hard to pass people. Other than that i really enjoyed the route, it was quite flat across the board. No really big hills or big down hills.

Made a plan with my coach and executed the plan perfectly, hold back slightly in the first half and then put the foot down for the second half.

Finished the race in 47 mins 11 secs average pace of 4:43 per km which is a 5 min PB and also nearly 18 mins better than the same race this time last year.

3 PB's this year so far for 5 mile, 10 mile and now 10km, PB's incoming for 5k half marathon and marathon!

• Advertisement

I did the 10k too, overall it is was a pretty decent race and was very well organised. The weather was spot on.

I'd a 42:50 PB from Maynooth a few months ago that I was hoping to crack, I hadn't been doing a huge amount since the Cork marathon so didn't really know where I was at fitness wise. I did the first 5k in 21 minutes flat so was well on for the PB but the wheels came off in the second 5k, I really struggled, the last of couple of km where torture :(.

I still got home in 43:29 which I wasn't too disappointed with considering.

I was very impressed with the goody bag at the end consider it was only 25 quid to enter.

My only minor gripes was the delay at the start and the 45 minute pacer being almost at the very front causing a bit of a bottleneck for the first km.

Agree with the above re the pacers. They seemed a bit too far forward than they should have been. Also the extra 15 minute wait in the sun at the start sapped a bit of energy.

Otherwise the race went as I expected it to. My preparation was not great as I did a parkrun on Saturday which I intended to take easy however after the first km I realised that I was fifth and on for a highest ever finish position if I pushed so adjusted my pace accordingly coming in 2nd. A glass of wine and a G&T on Saturday night probably weren't the best ideas either nor was the lack of a decent breakfast on Sunday.

My goal was sub 46 which would smash my previous pb (which was not that great due to the limited times I race this distance). I started off with the 45 min pacer with a view to keeping them somewhere in my vicinity for the duration of the race. I was behind them for the first km but pulled ahead of them then. I didn't look back at any point but judging by my splits they would never have been more than 20-30m behind me at any point. At the 6km mark they passed me again. I was feeling the heat at this stage and was not feeling overly energetic (most likely due to my bad preparation) so they pulled a bit ahead of me and I didn't really respond. That said my pace wasn't that much slower than them and I could see them for the rest of the race.

I finished in 45:30 which I am happy with. Give me a cool day in March or October with a better prep routine and I could see myself doing sub 45. Tshirts are decent this year aswell. As usual well organised and ran smoothly (other than the 15min delay). They really are great value events

I was at it too. The start was a bit difficult to navigate, not sure what way the organisers had planned it but we had to hop the fence in order to get into a place where we would not be held up too much. It was a good bit behind the 45 minute pacers. the route was good with the exception of the section into the park, a coupe of people dashed ahead of me to get into the first narrow corner first and then slowed down! I was then stuck behind a bunch of people and had to make my way around them on the grass. It was nice to get the bit of cover under the trees but there was a definite slow down here in that section. I didn't think I was in pb condition and aimed to get just under my race pb for 10k (I think I only have 1 or possibly 2 10k races under my belt) and in the end I was just 1 second outside of it, 42:40 in the end. I was happy with it though, it wasn't a target race and I had no 10k specific training done so overall I can't complain and it was good to get another race done and no ill effect on the knee or calf so happy days, onwards and upwards :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭TheRef

I also took part, but had no plan at all going into it as I came back from a 2 week holiday lunchtime Saturday. The plan was to go out and run it easy so I started with a lad I know a little behind the 60 min pacers as that was the time he was going for. My plan was to stick with him about 50m behind the pacers until 2km and then push on, which I did. After quickly making my way past folks I entered a lot of traffic but luckily there was another runner who had similar ideas and found gaps that I followed which involved a lot of squeezing through, quick turns of pace, and running on grass verges avoiding the nettles. Only challenge was when I got to the 55 min pacer, it was on one of the lane ways and the group around them was spread all the way across with no way to squeeze by, so had to ask for some space, which I got. Pushed on and finished chip time of about 51:30 (gun about 54:30). About 4 mins off a recent PB, but the goal was to stretch the legs, not get injured and be ready for marathon training - which hopefully I am.

I agree with others that the delay at the beginning was not ideal. We had no idea why. The weather was great although warmer than I expected. I always like the series as they are always very well run.

Anyone doing the athletics Ireland 10 mile this weekend? I had signed up back in January and didn't realise the Fingal 10km was on a week before. Not going to race it, just going to treat it as my LSR and enjoy the race.

I always enjoy the athletics Ireland races having done them the last few years, think its a nice build up to the FD 10 mile and Dublin half. Have a friend doing it so might just pace him, think he's aiming for around 1 hour 30 ish which is my LSR pace

In terms of the plan, I just want to check some of the paces in it.

CV is basically 10K pace (for me around 4.10 m/k to 4.15 m/k)

Threshold is around 10 m/k slower? So around 4.20

What about the tempo, tempo seems to be anything up to marathon pace - any guidance there? I was thinking of adding another 10 secs to Threshold

Also just generally on the plan, unlike the Novices plan, there is no PMP pace / effort, it's all above PMP pace or below it, am I reading it correctly? Unless tempo is supposed to be marathon pace?

When I enter my 10k time into the calculator, tempo is hovering around MP.

I would suggest doing those sessions at MP. The plan doesn't specifically say PMP anywhere, but you will be doing a lot of miles at that pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Elver

Hi masterK. I feel your pain. I have similar problems with cramping and have ended up in agony after, and sometimes during, almost every marathon and half marathon I’ve done. This year’s London marathon is the only long race in years that I haven’t been crippled. What I did differently was I started drinking electrolyte drinks daily a week before the race. On the day before I took 2 magnesium tablets and during the race itself I only drank electrolyte drinks - no water. I also took a few salt tablets towards the end. Conditions in London were cool so didn’t have the heat to contend with. But previously I’ve cramped up even when it hasn’t been hot. Can’t say yet that I’ve cracked it but will follow the same strategy for DCM and half. Hope that helps 😊

Tendons were in bits after the Fingal 10km so I took the Mon and Tues off. I did a slow 10k on Wed and an incredibly slow 9 mile on Thurs without making them any worse so it was probably the racing that did me in. I then did a 10k on Sat 2.5k slow 5k tempo and 2.5k slow with no adverse effects.

Still a bit sore so I have done nothing since Sat. Away camping with the kids at the moment so no option to get a run in which is probably for the best. Saturday will be my next run which will be a 10k slow run. Let's see how it goes.

Been dealing with the tendon issue for years so it shouldn't be a show stopper. The break will probably do me the world of good. Will jump into week 2 of the training plan.

• Advertisement

Some solid advice there, I did do a lot of what you mentioned. The one thing I wasn't doing and have started doing the last few weeks is taking a magnesium supplement. Hopefully this helps.

Advertisement