Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Are you serious? A positive end to the championship and we knocked out stone last after two collapses? You told us we'd wreck Cork with some laughable predictions and now after one decent performance in a game where we were already out you're saying we're on the up? What talent has Davy unearthed? Was he winking at you again or something? Take off the rose tinted glasses, we're miles off where we could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Very mixed emotions after yesterday - really proud of how we played, scoring more in the first half than we nearly did in 70 minutes in the previous three games. and we certainly scored more from play. - it was just so frustrating to be out of the Championship in May to think where we could have been.

Not going to get carried away with one result, because questions remain how good or poor are Tipp, were they tired or did they get caught on the hop, or were we let off the leash - it is quite possible a combination of everything but there are a number of certainties about our game plan yesterday :

• the speed of our puck-outs was much faster than it had been, lads moved into space and were being found by quick thinking and observation rather than having to play to a pre-defined routine that was laborious and easy to predict and allowed teams time to set up against us. This also applied to our line balls.
    • Dessie and Patrick Fitzgerald stayed close to the Tipp goal (much like against Limerick) keeping them pinned back and creating space between the full and half forward lines that allowed us areas to exploit and run at.
    • Billy Nolan (who everyone in Waterford should know from his Club and College hurling is an accomplished Center Back) showed his experience and ability to fit seamlessly into this role, rather than robbing Peter to pay Paul, trying to convert someone to that position - this allowed our half back line to get tight and attack every ball, as opposed to the Clare and Cork games where their half forwards were given the freedom of the park. He moved naturally to cover the spaces behind and also protect the full back line, rather than having to be coached or programmed to do this. The question is why when DeBurca got injured did we not consider trying this going into the Cork and Clare games. it was a suggestion we had discussed and also heard others discussing on several occasions since deBurca's injury, particularly as Billy is in fact a converted Goalkeeper and in Sean O'Brien we have an established and accomplished goalie
    • For those who have said we are simply not good enough and we are not producing enough young talent, yesterday Mark & Patrick Fitzgerald, Paddy Leavy were exceptional showing that they are up to standard and have long futures ahead of them please God if given the chance. It was also good to see Kevin Mahony get a brief run, because i certainly believe this lad has lots to offer. Daly was excellent, and Monty had a much improved performance while the older guard (who are not that old) such as Conor Gleeson, Peter Hogan and Stephen Bennett , looked reborn yesterday so with proper management we can really compete in the coming years, we just need a proper structure and game plan. Remember going into yesterday we were without DeBurca, Prunty, Gleeson, Barron, and Kiely - five potentially huge players for us, never mind loosing McNulty, the two Bennett's and Ian Kenny from last years panel
    • But now to the real issue, we must learn from yesterday and build on it and quite simply the big question for me and everyone else i spoke to at the match yesterday was "will Davy learn from yesterday and is he willing to change - the consensus of opinion (including a hell of a lot of Tipp fans) was "NO" if he has not learned by now he never will - negative defensive hurling will only get you so far, - no point in only conceding 20 points, if you are only capable of scoring 15 - you are still going to loose. the best way to defend it by keeping the opposition honest in their own half
    • By the way is when if comes to the Round Robin - since its introduction we have played Tipp four times, we have beaten them twice, and if it were not for daylight robbery in Limerick with the infamous "Ghost Goal" we would have another win instead of a draw - our only defeat coming in Thurles when Conor Gleeson was dismissed in the first half.

For today I am enjoying the win, walking out of Thurles yesterday, amongst thousands of Tipp fans and feeling so proud was brilliant - i have a mixture of renewed optimism and trepidation looking forward - we (the group of family who I go to games with) will continue to travel and support our County Teams at every game where possible , but for me Davy is not the man for us, and our County Board need to see the error of their ways now before the damage becomes irreparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Went up yesterday and thought we'd get hammered.

I think Davys time is up though..Awful stuff at times .

Sean Michael on the radio ,looks like davy will be staying.

Support is brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

I see you consulted the hurling mums and dads again to form your opinion 😁

We were down three yesterday of the named team, all three were well off form all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I had heard that a meeting between management and the county board was to take place some time within the two weeks after the Tipp game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

The Co board will be relieved with yesterdays result. they didn’t want to move him on, they have absolutely zero plan B’ and lack any kind of imagination or foresight to make tough decisions hence the decision to go with Davy in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Our Round Robin format record vs Tipp. W2,D1 and L1

Nothing to see here regarding the other 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Chairman get a nice little soft interview by DT on WLR Monday morning . Everything is going well lots of plans nothing to see here . Sundays result will give them the ammo say nothing major has to change the glass is half full again . It will be grand , it will be interesting in coming weeks and months any major inter county retirements you’d be schocked if there isn’t .

• Advertisement

Pretty brutal interview but tiernan is a soccer man..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

He has played a lot of gaa (football) in his day and still makes the odd appearance in the junior grade so I don’t think he is an out and out ‘saw-ker’ man…? Must listen to the interview which I’m sure is available via ‘pod-cast’….?

Listen beck damos show first item Monday morning after a lot of waffling about game so no feelings were hurt .

Damo has apologised for the poor interview with the county chairman they are hoping to have him on again today !!

The county board chairman said the plan is to have Munster championship games at Walsh park next season . Regarding our Munster rugby friend he made one or two talks with team during the season . His future unknown as season has just ended ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I wish they’d stop with the BS. One or 2 talks during the year? He was part of the backroom team for the Limerick match and pretty sure there for the cork game aswell. He’s either involved or he’s not….

As for Walsh Pk I don’t even want to hear anymore about it from them. Wake me up when/if it’s done

He was at a few of the league games and was all suited & booted in the Park Hotel before the Dublin game

Yeah its anyones guess about Walsh Park. This thing of 'been ready for July club games' has been sweeped under the carpet and know were been told it wont be ready til before the start of the Munster Championship next spring ??. Christ almighty some farce

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I imagine the stand replacing the north bank won’t be needed for club championship games in July. Once the main stand is open & the pitch not impacted club games could probably go ahead there. I wouldn’t see the north stand being needed for a county final even given the dominance of Ballygunner.

That’s not to say it will be open, just that all work for Phase 1 doesn’t necessarily have to be complete by the first round of club championship at the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Yep I'd agree with that. Presently the stand is almost complete, all bucket seats are in place.

The north terrace looks like the concrete is over half way down, seems to be progressing well in there.

Seating looking well

• Advertisement

Yeah looking good

Woudl they risk playing League games there next year ? think we have 3/4 home games as were owed one by Kilkenny

You would imagine league games will be played unless they are planning on starting Keane's road end.

Although Keane's road end has plenty of access due to its location so they maybe able to work and still host games there, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Really hope senior footballers get the win tomorrow in tailteann cup in pairc ui chaoimh.

Nice little double header

Never know both teams would of learnt from the Munster QF. Can't see the winner beating a 2nd place team in a PQF but never know

I'm heading to it tomorrow...Great to see them playing in pairc ui chaoimh along with kerry and cork.

Would be a boost to get a championship win.

Hard luck to the Footballers

Bloody 1 point defeat, a draw would of put us through

Tipp 0-17- Waterford 1-13

Gave it everything again today.terribly slow start.

2 horrendous goal chances squandered again.finishing absolutely killing us.

Ephie/peter leahy have definitely improved the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McBurgermacs

Would not have for what it's worth

• Advertisement

Conor murray was absolutely outstanding in yesterday's match.

Hopefully new players commit for next season and other players return to the squad.

Advertisement