Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Exactly. It is a massive issue.

And by the way has been for years.

But the issue is mainly down to mismanagement of resources not just refugees.

As to the rest which you quote there in bold , there are, and have been, many, many posts saying just that on the other side of the debate.

Totally over the top you will agree?

He is entitled to paraphrase in reply to other posters without being accused of saying something which he patently did not.

Could be that the reception people get from the folk where you are is not very welcoming or inclusive. That causes problems for people seeking asylum.

Why do you think they leave their own country?

Many are leaving because they want to get away from just what you describe.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

How many ways does the same thing need to be stated?

Housing is a multifaceted issue but supply and demand underpins every other aspect. If you can think of an aspect that is ameliorated by increased demand, go ahead and state it.

He can paraphrase anyone he likes, my issue is the lazy smearing and amalgamation of people who have concerns with immigration with people who have made no such remarks.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

In fairness I don't think he was referring to what you said , but that is for him and not me to say .

I was talking generally .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lots of talk about housing and accommodation but it has to be kept in mind that the entire population of 5m people is creating demand for housing and accommodation. Constantly linking these shortages to EU citizens and refugees is missing the point. Literally everyone in the country is putting pressure on housing, schools, hospital waiting lists, infrastructure etc.

Thinking that stopping people from entering the country would somehow make these problems go away is a bit deluded : Ireland had a housing and homeless crisis in the middle of the recent recession when net migration was at zero for four consecutive years (have people forgotten all the RTE News reports at the time about families being put up in hotels?)

• Advertisement

Also even if we didn't have refugees we would have people travelling over here and migrating for work.

Should all these people be stopped as well ?

I know they are paying tax, but but they are taking services and accomodation etc also. And are they " vetted " ?

Of course I am not serious before I get piled on, but this is where this could go .

Look at the UK , they have a work force shortage because of their immigration policies and Brexit.

And it's not just doctors and nurses they are short of . Farmworkers , fruit pickers , seasonal workers

I don't see that happening with any of the parties in the Dáil right now but it is possible if a very right wing group were elected .

And before you say that is nonsense, that is exactly what Farage and Johnson promised WOULDN'T happen . But hey we wouldn't fall for lies like that from our politicians , would we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Which cultures do you mean?

I see you speak about Afghanistan, why do you think we have refugees from Afghanistan? What would you suspect they did that made them have to leave Afghanistan recently?

What cultures are violent and have mediaeval attitudes to women? Genuinely interested in your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

They are basically all men so that gotcha doesn't really work. Tell us again how Sweden has zero issues from how they handled their massive refugee influx. That's my favourite lie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Jaysus thats tripe right there, they are leaving to make a better life for themselves and they are bringing the baggage of woman are second class and people like me who are gay thedespised, all you have to do is look at how parts of uk are doing with the influx of people of the same mind, fair play to you for preaching that everything will de dandy but what comes to mind is the "comical ali nothing to see here everything is fine meme", I would love you to be right we could be the outliner but looking right across Europe it's a no for me, this gay ain't going back into the closet for no person who values me as a sub human.

How ironic. Not sure if this is a pvsstake, no offence , but will row on ...

There are gay people fleeing persecution against homosexuality amongst these refugees .

But by supporting those people who would ban immigration you also leave the door open for other far right oppression.

You will never be treated as subhuman in this country within our present democracy .

That danger is coming from far right , who are not only anti immigration , but anti gay , anti abortion, anti equality ...

So jaysus that's tripe yourself ! Cos would think that's the first thing you'd know if you were gay ? 😋

Never said anything about everything being rosy in the garden. I am for controlling the numbers myself .

Gets lost along the way because people make assumptions ....

• Advertisement

Are you replying to my post? You could do it correctly so we would all know.

Who are basically all men exactly?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

treemaster threadbanned

How does it make Ireland poster and more violent? I'm not getting your logic here? Do you have any proof of such or is it purely plucked from thin air?

What does Japan have to do with Ireland? The USA have the death penalty, why don't we have the death penalty? Norway gives their citizens money for a sun holiday every year, why doesn't our government do that? Why does it matter what Japan do it don't do for refugees?

Edit, japan, it turns out took in over 2000 Ukrainian refugees in the last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Once again. Nobody is saying refugees have caused the housing crisis. This is a strawman. One you’ve continuously brought up on this thread.

Of course the entire population of Ireland is creating demand for housing - they’re the people of this country, it’s the most normal thing in the world.

Increasing that demand massively by increasing our population so rapidly in such a short space of time is only exacerbating pre-existing problems. Do you deny that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,193 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

We are part of the EU which means that up to currently around 440+ million people can come and live here in theory without any visa or claiming refuge.

Do you think that we should pull out of the EU as well to ease demand or is it just refugees you want stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I live in one of those small towns, no public transport one shop and a post office.

Over 150 Ukrainians here and nowhere for them to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I hope the country will not return to a culture of homophobia and I have yet to encounter a homophobic immigration/ refugee and I live in a minority ethnic Irish part of Dublin but you'd have to be living under a rock to suggest that such cultures do not exist elsewhere.

You were gaslighting. Your question was to other someone with concerns because you, I and everyone in Ireland knows that LGBTQ do not get treated as the should uniformly around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,193 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Do you think the EU citizens coming here from other EU countries should be vetted to be allowed enter the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭creeper1

It's interesting that posters are discussing how European capitals have become dodgy with pickpocketing and drug dealing and other crimes. I don't doubt that they are on the way to becoming absolute garbage holes.

I have travelled extensively in east Asia. Whether it's a city in China, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore or Korea I have felt completely safe. I can walk the streets at midnight with no bother.

Interestingly the above mentioned countries aren't participating in the open borders insanity of Europe. It's all so senseless.

• Advertisement

And the I'm gay to get in the door here is well abused, as for subhuman it's mentally of certain people and religons that are coming here that think gays are sub human, have you talked to any of these men arriving in from Asia/Africa and asked them how they feel towards Women/gays? Its a known fact in certain countries we are treated as subhuman

As for the far right jaysus rent free is all I see here.

Have you talked to any of the men that arriving here in large numbers and asked them what they think about gay people, after living in the UK for a bit I've learnt to stay clear of certain demographics and funny enough the same demographics are arriving here daily ... I don't think the lads arriving here have all suddenly had a change of heart on gay people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Honestly Cuddihy on Newstalk seemed to suggest keeping less Visa driven immigration in to allow for space for "people fleeing war".

How about we remove non visa migrants to clear room for genuine cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That guy in Sligo last year must have been far right when he killed the two men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

What is your base period for the claim homophobia is growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Nope, they are coming from other countries within the EU with whom we have agreements on this, as has always been the case.

And funnily enough there’s this crazy thing called a passport, that any EU citizens coming from other EU countries are going to have. It allows us to establish who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

As strange as the White Knight and 'morally bullying people into silence' outbursts are — you didn't actually address any of my points. In fact, you're even responding to things I have never said. I certainly never said people were "calling out immigration exclusively on issues such as housing". The thrust of my point is that blaming refugees being here as a crucial reason as to why the housing crisis is happening is disproportionate and I gave my reasons why. All you did in response was to dip into the playbook of rehearsed lines like "White Knight" which are always inevitably wheeled out in discussions like this.

I'm not here to hold your hand and massage your opinions. You were the one who made the point about "petrol being poured on the flames" right? And you said this in the context of refugees and the housing crisis, right? So I have every right to set out the reasons why I don't agree with this. If you have a counter argument, I'm all ears, or you can fire out some more White Knight whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Just on this point, there are plenty of people on this thread and who I've seen on media play up this theme of the refugees being mostly men, "unvetted" and how people don't feel safe having them around. It is clearly directed, both explicitly and impliedly, at the idea that they will engage in sexual violence and crime. You might not necessarily believe it, but it's there nonetheless and pretty regularly stated.

It doesn't seem to matter how many times I or anyone else repeats the point that housing and other issues have numerous inputs that contribute to their current state, some lost soul always comes along and whines that immigration is not the only cause or starts faux swooning about the nasty people that said things.

You appear to also claim that there is little or nothing that can be done about immigration or refugees which is completely untrue as well.

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced your 'implicit assumption' is the flex you think it is. And yes, people do fear people in their presence who are wilfully evasive about their true identities, history and motives. When did that stop being a thing?

Advertisement