Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

They have proven over the last 6/7 years they are a better team than Kilkenny, I don't know why they cant replicate these performances against other teams but because they regularly beat us does not make them a dirty team.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

While there is no doubt we have annoyingly struggled against Wexford since 2017, competitions are not decided by once off individual events taken in isolation but by a number of games over a period of time. And Kilkenny's record of six Leinster Final appearances and four victories compared to Wexford's two appearances and one victory in the last seven seasons certainly doesn't back up your claim that Wexford are "a better team than Kilkenny".

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

They have been more effective at exploiting our tactical weakness and inherent lack of efficiency/intelligence in terms of playing style - particularly around sweepers. Over the course of a championship you win nothing with this style but in a single match, especially against Kilkenny it's always pretty effective. We don't have the calibre of players we had for the previous 15 years and as a result it comes down to making the best out of what we do have in these armwrestle matches - and we haven't been great at that and the players themselves have struggled with any change. Last year for instance we made a hero out of their sweeper - 6 years after they first deployed it against us.

Yesterday in the second half we didn't have the pace to work the ball out, and when we went long it was ran back at us through a struggling midfield and half forward line that was struggling athletically against a team fuelled by desperation. So a turnover was a point of attack yesterday for Wexford (as it has been for the last few years), and we ceded that by deploying an ineffective sweeper ourselves and not deploying pace to counter this pattern. The injuries obviously stretched us but I'm not so sure we still wouldn't end up with the same issues - albeit we might have put the game to bed in the first half.

And still we had the ball in the net at the end to almost win it.

All this is opinion from what I saw and sensed at the time - I'd love to check it out again with a viewing of the game but alas...

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

I would agree with some of that but also the context must be taken into account. The last two years their need was greater, last year they needed to win to qualify for the All Ireland series yesterday to avoid relegation. Rather frustratingly we seemed have developed a bit of a psycological hang up when it comes to them but hey it could be worse it could involve a team that actually contends for All Irelands rather than one that seems to be happy to dine out on one big win a year. While they have certainly become an bit of an irritant i certainly ain't developing an inferiority complex when it comes to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Judging by today’s opinion this is not the first time the match was put back it also happened in 2019 when all other matches counted on the last day , but this time the massive crowd wasn’t there . So what was the reason for the delay and this had to be agreed by the ref. They were also late back out on the pitch for the second half the GAA was talking about winning at all costs,well this smacks of cheating along with the ref siding with the home side. There’s one thing I hate and that’s not getting fair play. Last year that ref done us up in Salthill in what he deemed was a foul by Paddy Deegan. He gave Galway a last minute free to go a point up and never gave us a chance to even it up he just blew for the puck out. At least in Limerick v Cork game the ref. Allowed time to see how Corks last puck out developed and only blew when they lost possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

😂 On the tenth verse of Boolavogue I sensed the day might be slightly tilted in Wexfords favour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Adrian looks to be out for 4-6 weeks so he's a huge loss obviously. Management are hoping butler and mossy will be back. Butler with a calf injury and mossy with hamstring. Mossy came off without really doing massive harm.Richie and deegan were more precautionary not playing

So thats where we are heading into a leinster final. Richie Reid and deegan were big losses yesterday so both will be a help the next day. I was dissapointing Carey wasn't thrown in yesterday. I think he will have to come Into wing back and give us legs. Tom phelan has being a positive. Good in the air and direct. Very green still obviously. Drennan found the going very tough but hopefully he will get used to pace of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

They are still playing the 1996 song what is it dancing at the crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Losing Mullen is a massive blow and it means another reshuffle to our already problematic midfield pairing. You'd imagine Deegan will start their in the Leinster final but it's worrying that we don't have a ready made replacement for Mullen. The only positives from Sunday is the fact we scored 5 goals and the performance of Tom Phelan who looks to be in great form at the minute. We looked like we could cut Wexford apart at will at times on Sunday but for some reason didn't do it enough. The balls into the forwards and puckouts left a lot to be desired also. Both teams going into the Leinster final after 2 poor performances and we are going to need everyone fit and well to have a chance of winning that game. Am I right in saying that if we lose we will be playing Tipp (or Offaly) in the quarter final? Also really surprised that management haven't tried to get game time into Mikey Carey, Sunday was the perfect chance to give him hurling. As I think someone said earlier we cannot afford to be finishing games with Buckley, P Walsh, Fogarty and Wally on the pitch especially now that TJ's legs aren't what they used to be, we're going to need younger legs to finish these games and help us over the line, which is something we've struggled to do recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Leinster Final could go anyway, both teams have been poor so far. Which ever team plays anyway better should get the win. Galway are a very average outfit, Kilkenny lack pace but Tom Phelan's addition should help us in this department. Galway are a slower outfit again, Fintan Burke, Mcinerney, Joe Cooney, Conor Cooney, Padraig Mannion this year, Evan Niland, Ronan Glennon, Thomas Monaghan all look very laboured in Croke Park. I don't think they have it in the legs to beat Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Joe Cooney isn't particularly slow and it's unlikely Glennon will be seen as a starter. It'll be a battle of two very average outfits it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

think you are right in what you are saying about Galway's pace, they all seem a bit one paced and didn't seem to have the pace to cause us too much trouble but I'd imagine they'd say something similar about us. I think Tom brings something different to the Kilkenny attack and his movement causes teams problems. I know where your coming from saying both teams have been poor so far but I do honestly think both teams are building to peak later on during the summer and this is both counties first real test of the championship. I think it is vital for us to win this game as I don't think we'd recover after losing to win an AI. At the game in Nowlan Park we stood off them for long periods and let them build from the back and as we did this they caused us problems but once we pushed up on there puckouts and didn't give them time we were able to get on top and should have won the game.

Last year Dublin didn't show up, Galway were poor on the day, Clare were knackered and Kilkenny went on to run Limerick close. We only got credit following our display in the Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I just said I'd go back and have look at our reactions to losing to Wexford in 2022 at home. We were not impressed as usualstripes very good and comprehensive post shows. Are we in a much different spot after Sunday? I'd say a bit different but the same overall. We went almost all the way last year can we do it again? Mullen will be a big loss for the next month or so but we'll need lads to step up and be counted like they did last year. We're still missing a midfield combo but we didn't have one last year either and look how we did.

Negatives:

Injuries obviously-Mullen in trouble, Mossy, Butler, Reid and Deegan not 100%

Defence- Our full back line was solid last year but is leaky this year. This can be fixed and I think it will be.

TJ-unfortunately TJ looks a lot slower and isn't lasting as well. Can he produce some of those great performances he had last year? Saw small flashes against Wexford.

Puckouts- Still not right

Positives:

Scoring: We actually played a lot better against Wexford especially in score creation than we had until now. If we can keep this up we'll cause lots of teams trouble.

Timing: I'm hoping and assuming we're timing our run and training to be hitting the pitch from the Leinster Final and onwards.

Injuries: Most of the injuries will hopefully clear up in time for the Leinster final.

Half Backs: having M Carey as an option to bring in now is a big bonus we didn't have a few months ago, allied with the game time in Blanchfield and Corcoran gives us more strength and options in area we really struggled at last year especially against Lim in the final. Personally I'd like to try Carey, Blanch and Corcoran as a half back line for the LF and if R Reid is available push him up to midfield alongside Paddy Deegan or Mullen if available/fit.

Overall without the injuries and if we're timing a run I would say we're ever so slightly ahead of last year. There are still lots of worries and our in ability to close out games is a huge concern. The whole house of cards could come crashing down but if Limerick are still favourites for the AI after their Munster campaign blips (and rightly so), I think we should be relatively confident we can kick on and put in some strong performances going forward especially if we get Adrian back.

I'm as bitterly disappointed as anyone to loose another bloody game to Wexford but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter.

Is it frustrating? yes.

Annoying? yes.

The end of the championship for us? No, so lets drive on and get our **** ready for Galway, hopefully turn them over and sit pretty in a semi and wait to see who comes through.

The examiner confirmed that Wexford gardai did not advise the Wexford co. Board to delay the game because of traffic congestion. So who is going to take up this investigation or are our co. Board going to do anything about it. At least tell them we were unhappy with the situation.

Colm Lyons is a bigger issue than the match delayed.The penalty he gave was very soft, a Wexford man catches it 3 times and puts it over the bar. The goal at the end he disallowed god bless his eye sight.He done the same last year against galway in Salthill with the last free. Ive heard several people giving out about his all ireland performance.He must be related to Barry Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

He was desperate and has had a clear and obvious bias against us down through the years. There were numerous incidents in the game the other day in which he interjected himself and his own little ego into the occasion/decision. Doesn't look like he has thr fitness or condition for this level either - if he passes the fitness test then the guys that fail it can have no complaints really.

The high tackle on Blanchfiekd that went unpunished and ended up bring blown for a few the other way before half time was another shocker in addition to the goal decision. On the go he was 100% going to blow for a free out there, no matter what happened. You knew this as you were watching it unfold. Wasn't able to cope with the crowd or occasion.

Just like all the biased decisions mentioned by other posters the 10 minute delay was the refs call in the end. Kilkenny were on the pitch at 1.30, and no sign of Wexford. Lyons then paraded out alone, spoke to Seamus Reade and went back in. Then the 10 minute delay was announced. I never journeyed to Wexford Park and entered through the turnstiles with such ease before.

Lyons should have told Wexford that all three games had to start at 2pm, end of. He rowed in with Wexford before, during and after the match. I'm glad so many supporters saw and spoke about his carry on. We can't be all wrong.

Really, you have to give credit to Wexford County Board for doing what needed to be done. You'd be waiting on our Board to do anything of the sort ,even protesting about the events of the day.

Now Brookville as you said on the bigger issue with Colm Lyons this was the biggest issue of all that the matches did not run in sync this had to have been approved by the ref to delay the match.as I said previously sanctions should be brought to bear on the Wexford co. Board especially after doing the same stunt before and lave it alone to the “98 rebellion pageantry “ would the singer have had time to sing all verses of boolavogue in normal time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

That's farcical tbh, there's still loads of time to play the final without it effecting the hurling. Even just have put it back to this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Bit of a joke considering the intermediate championship still has a few games left so time constraints isn't an issue. I'm not sure of the finer details but Blacks & Whites were kicked out due to comments made to a ref, they tried to appeal to county board and Leinster board but it got kicked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

They couldn't refix it as they gave Thomastown a walkover last year when Carrickshock didn't play.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

If anyone should be taking up this issue it's Westmeath. They were the ones really hard done by. The result hasn't hurt Kilkenny as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jimmynesbit

County board have a spine like spaghetti. Heard mullinavat threatened to pull county players from the panel if they weren’t awarded the game. Sad state of affairs when a senior county final is won by walk over

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Where's the best place to get decent tickets to the Leinster Final?

Only off to the sides available on Ticketmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Neewollah

I believe thomastown had a wedding the weekend of the game and then mullinvat might have had a wedding the following 2 weekends so if it was off for Thomastown for that reason it was going to be off the following 2 weeks as well and dragging on and on. There was nearly a month of a gap between football league and start of championship this year which there was no need for. Weather was good they should have stayed playing it.

Sad state of affairs when a senior final ends this way.

Unfortunately we all know the county board is very weak,full of yes men and in desperate need of revamp.Ciarian muldowney summed it up a few weeks ago. He came in with a fresh approach and wasnt wanted. Theres lads living in the stone age with the mentality we're kilkenny theres plenty of hurlers in the county.Look at what clare,offally and cork have done when they put their act together.cork are going for 3 u20 in 4 years.frank Murphy and pat Fitzgerald got the bullet eventually.We have the same bunch of cronies for years and years, just moving the chairs around with new titles. The whole thing needs to looked at properly and not just sticking the usual suspects in or covering their arses and half doing jobs.Proper coaches and plans put in place. Money invested and a proper review every year.

Our record underage the last decade is desperate and it's no wonder we're struggling at senior . We're overachieving at senior if anything.how many more years is this going to continue? The u20 all Ireland papered over alot of cracks.Something desperately needs to be done anyway. We're all too quiet, as I said Ciaran muldowney summed it all up. Shocking carry on.

• Advertisement

Big match for kk and galway sunday week. It's probably a bigger game for galway they haven't won a leinster since 2018. The direct route to a semi final is the best route. Teams can really get alot of work done in them few weeks and try clear up a few injuries. Munster teams are definitely that bit leggy after coming through a tough campaign.

Both teams had a fair idea they would be in the leinster final before a ball was struck.it was all about navigating their way through the group stages.They didn't need to be peaking a month ago it's the next few weeks the season will begin and teams be judged. We had being lucky enough with injuries up to last sunday where we got riddled. Richie Reid and deegan will be available and I know people give out about both but both were big losses last weekend. They're hoping the other two lads will make it but Adrian is a big loss.

We are now in the month of June and I've no doubt management haven't a bulls clue of their best team which is worrying. moving deegan out of defence and tom phelan starting will be the only changes to last years leinster final.Last sunday was ideal for Mikey Carey to get gametime. It would be a big ask throwing him into a leinster final. Our backs definitely aren't going as well this year. Was it the league final hammering or the couple of goals against antrim but usually a high ball was bread and butter to Lawlor and these lads but they don't look comfortable. We're back to a couple of defenders foing fir the one ball. It happened against galway in the park aswell.How management didn't try make a change with chin running riot would also be a concern. At least try something. The whole place could see he was going to town.

Management will obviously be given Time it's a huge step up but they have being very niave, slow to make changes and definitely have being to loyal to the older lads. The league final tactics were bizarre to say the least.,especially when everyone knows the best chance of competing with them is pushing up. We ran away from them.Dont know what happened Cian Kenny,he seems to have being punished for giving away a few scores against galway.Alan Murphy played well against antrim and is dropped. Billy Ryan was criminal for one of McGoverns goal.Took to much out of the ball and overturned. A few of these lads know their position is safe and need a kick up the arse.Padriag was the cause of another goal and isn't comfortable at 6.Infairnes to Tom phelan he has being very good the last few days but this is a big test against galway.he has a good hand and is direct.We will see a new midfield pairing again with Paddy deegan.

I'm not slating the older lads but these are the facts. Fogarty,Wally,buckley and padriag are first subs on. I'd be very suprised if all these don't retire in a few months.Surely it's better blooding lads last sunday and looking at the bigger picture.Dee o Keefe couldn't believe his luck again last sunday with the ball he was getting. It was so predictable.We can't afford to finish with all these we need legs.

Both teams can pick plenty of holes in each other. Whelan and Cooney have being poor.Dublin pulled galways half back line out and used their speed to run with the ball and gmac was vulnerable We havent the speed of dublin but we will want to get mossy and eoin Cody isolated inside but no point having them isolated if the ball going in is a bad.

Advertisement