Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 likes and 5 dislikes about your current EV/EVs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Mr Q

They could fit a tyre that expands in diameter when inflated. I had one in a Mercedes. So the space needed might not be huge.

But like you said the reason is cost saving, no matter what reason they try to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Also efficiency, lugging that around all the time surely has an impact.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Mr Q

True but an extra 15kg or 20kg on a 2 ton car won't be noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Just put 20000km since mid January on a Kona EV. Mostly motorway miles.

Pros

Silly power and torque if you can stop the tyres from spinning. Interestingly, new Kona EV will have only half the torque.

Great real world range and outstanding efficiency. I only charge at night at home. Never needed to use the charging network. Wouldn't have the patience for that.

Good range at motorway speeds. I usually roll at 120kph on the GPS and can get from Clonmel to Dublin and back no hassle without charging en route.

Cheap to run if on a good night rate.

Proven tech.

Compact size.

Excellent HVAC efficiency if left in auto.

Comfortable driving position and ergonomic controls with knobs instead of screen based nonsense.

Cons

Bit small.

Bit pricey.

Not sexy at all and soon replaced.

Hard on tyres.

Tesla M3 price drop.

Mean standard equipment compared to other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭Bricriu

Nissan Leaf 40 kW

Dislikes:

Nissan's lying claim that is does up to 270 km on one charge; not true.

Range is much lower than above figure. Not recommended to charge to 100% regularly. Only up to 80% - further reducing the sh*te range.

Range drops sharply in cold weather.

Range is sh*te if you use the heating.

High price.

A lovely car to drive.

Great suspension.

Very good road-holding.

??

I RECENTLY SOLD THE F**KING AFTER PUTTING UP WITH THE SH*TE RANGE FOR OVER A YEAR!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭Bricriu

Re above post from Bricriu:

I RECENTLY SOLD THE F**KING AFTER PUTTING UP WITH THE SH*TE RANGE FOR OVER A YEAR!! should read: I RECENTLY SOLD THE F**KING THING AFTER PUTTING UP WITH THE SH*TE RANGE FOR OVER A YEAR!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think we got the gist of your post..😁

(You can edit your original post)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

ID.3 Tour 2021. 77Kwh battery

Dislikes

I would love a bigger boot

The front a pillar can inhibit visibility for me at times.

It doesn’t have a tow hitch so can’t pull our camping trailer or bikes

range

matrix headlights

can use cars own navigation which is cool with Id light and heads up display or can easily switch to car play.

massage seats ( I regularly turn on in longer trips)

software has never been an annoyance for me. Car has always worked well.

the safety systems in the car. It dropped anchors recently when someone walked behind the car as I was reversing

Between the car and our house we use very little in the way of fossil fuels. We still run a 13 year old dirty diesel but it doesn’t do many miles these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lconn1234

VW Id5: Likes

Comfortable and relaxing drive.

Quiet cabin.

Good interior Space.

Matrix headlights

Dislikes

Cost/Depreciation. Its not worth the money.

Interior plastics are poor quality.

The software glitches.

Touch screen is annoying and too slow to respond. Needs 'normal' climate control buttons.

Should have an electric tailgate for the money.

Very intrusive driving assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Tesla SR+ (after Leaf 40 and Leaf 62)

1. Handling and power due to sports car profile and tyres. Like a BMW/Audi only with indicators.
    2. Charging speeds and Tesla chargers.
    3. Electric seat adjustment and comfort.
    4. Software is pretty amazing, best in class.
    5. Storage is very good for its size when including rear well and frunk.

DISLIKE

1. Too delicate in finishings. Attracts scratches like crazy from other clumsy drivers and interior prone to damage.
    2. Collision detection system over sensitive. Constantly finding things after the driver has spotted them and then freaking out. This is when driving 5-10k under limit, leaving gaps, anticipating pedestrians.
    3. Autowipers love the sun.
    4. Water comes in from front screen wash.
    5. No hatch but not a biggie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Redfox25

You dont have to use the indicators if you don't want too :)

Release the inner bmw driver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

ID 4 GTX

5 dislikes:

1) The ID4 temp controls are not backlit or physical buttons.. just give me the old dials from my Tiguan/Octavia.. no need to be over complicating things

2) The 299 bhp drops to 200 bhp once battery drops below 80% which doesn't take long and they recommend you only charge to 80 anyway so annoying!

3) The front seems to get coated in flies when driving like no other car ive had before? Seems to be a summer issue

4) My wheels are a little big at 21" - they look good and id no choice as was a pre order car but id probably have gone for 19s for comfort - plus they will be expensive to replace.. ive two in the service pack so at least that cushions the blow a bit

5) VW drive in the center of lane warning and sometimes over aggressive emergency breaking when parking etc.. this has happened 2 or 3 times on me

5 likes:

1) Free driving fuel from Solar and work EV chargers.

2) Power - acceleration is hard to beat

3) Just over all EV driving - regen breaking, lazy lazy lazy

4) remote temp pre heat or cooling - this is awesome to be able to cool the car for 15/20 minutes on a hot summer day - again probably not an EV only thing

5) the id4 is a roomy car.. lot more boot space and interior space than our tiguan..

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

That HP drop is shocking. Would you buy something different again given the chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

That comment about the HP dropping. That's ridiculous. The GTX looks great but why bother if they are going to do that to customers? Essentially you are paying for the trim at that rate. There's 200hp in my ID4 Business and 230hp in my 52k bog standard Polestar.

no i dont think i would to be honest.. i really love the all wheel drive. i get they want to limit the hp as it probably has a big impact on battery but id have thought something like 50/60% be more than enough to start limiting it at.

the price now is hard to swallow - about 68k - i got mine for about 54 before the price increase and the grant was applicable last year.. to be honest a lot has to do with pcp im on.. my payments are only about 450 a month and have been around that on my last 3 cars.. so if i can keep them around there id be happy out.

Is it a Business GTX or a GTX Max? That's a great PCP you are on. I expect the car you traded in was worth quite a bit or you topped up your deposit? I'm on 520 a month. I traded in a 2-year-old Tiguan with a year left on the PCP. Hard to swallow at the time but its nothing compared to what I'm paying on the Polestar after trading in my previous car after 2 months.

Gtx business.. I traded in a Tiguan as well. 2.5 years old auto petrol, highline with tech pack and grey leather was lovely car.. really didn't think I'd get away without putting 7 or 8k into the deal but didn't have contribute anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭iniall

Tesla Model Y RWD

Likes (have only had it since May 1st):

1. The drive is pleasingly smooth and sturdy - not as fast as the i3 I had before, but much more solid on the road
    2. The whole keyless/cardless entry and starting/stopping is great
    3. The car's size, both the interior and the boot, is great, really good for three growing kids
    4. I love all the things that would be extras on other cars - the 5 heated seats and steering wheel, the glorious glass roof, vegan leather, etc
    5. I also really like the steering wheel, the shape, size and feel are all very pleasing

Dislikes:

1. The lack of USS/the presence of Tesla Vision is pretty poor
    2. I really miss CarPlay - the implementation of the Apple Music app on Tesla's OS is not good
    3. The whole keyless/cardless entry has led to me leaving my phone in the (unlocked) car more than once
    4. Too many controls are on the screen, as opposed to physical buttons (the glovebox, ffs)
    5. Visibility through the rear window is awful
    6. The turning circle is not great
    7. It contributes to E*** M***'s bottom line 😭

Post edited by iniall on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

The whole keyless/cardless entry has led to me leaving my phone in the (unlocked) car more than once

Have done the same a number of times, normally when phone on charging pad. Have an iwatch now, very handy in that it alerts you that you have left your phone behind when out of bluetooth range..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Do people actually use a glove box? For what ? You have two massive cubbies right beside you, what do you need to keep in glovebox miles away from you 😁

Have opened mine twice in 4 years I'd say

You did very well. I traded in a petrol Rline. 2 years old but the PCP wasn't finished so I expect that's where I lost out. That said, the ID4 was a lot more expensive so I expected the monthlies to go up. Somewhere along in your PCP you must have put in more money than me, maybe on a previous car. 450 is very low for an ID4 on a PCP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Honda e (2022)

1. The exterior and interior design - I still think it looks great on the outside, and on the inside I love the design and (most of) the materials used, very comfy seats, has screens everywhere but real climate controls. It's an interesting car with personality, I've long since lost count of the number of people who have approached me to talk about it.
    2. The running costs - peanuts, did around 10k kms for the first 200 quid government electricity credit. Servicing, tax, insurance also very cheap.
    3. The equipment - it's extremely well equipped for a small car; 360 cameras, heated everything, loads of safety tech, drives itself on motorways, etc. Camera side mirrors are brilliant.
    4. The size - other car is a Volvo SUV so I wanted something small and nimble. Thought about something like a Fiesta ST in the past but couldn't get past the cheapo interiors most small cars have.
    5. The drive - it has just over 150 horses but 315 Nm so it shifts quite nicely, rear wheel drive, has all round indy suspension and is generally just smooth, nippy and very comfortable. It's great around town but also on motorways.

Dislikes:

1. The range - this wasn't an important factor for me when I bought it but it is undeniably fairly low. It will do 200+ kms no problem in the summer but rainy motorway in the winter with heating on and 150 would be a struggle. It's a pity because it's very relaxing to drive on longer trips.
    2. Some tech moans - The auto wipers even on the most sensitive setting are not sensitive enough, my Volvo is much much better. Similarly Volvo's active cruise is a bit better. And the Honda app is not available in Ireland which is annoying. The three settings for the heated seats seem to go from warm to volcano to surface of the sun.
    3. Charging speed - it's not something I ever do but it will only DC charge at something like 50 kW max, so in reality 30-40.
    4. The price - again, not something that bothered me personally, but it's fairly expensive now when compared to other new EVs. I'll pay a premium for design etc, but most won't.
    5. No idea what to replace it with - I love it and will keep it for another year at least but have no idea where to go next. Was hoping Honda would make the Sports EV concept that they showed with the Urban EV concept (that turned into the e) but that's not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Sorry to go off, but are notifications on boards broken? They seem to be for some time. I keep getting emails for every comment-update even if I don't click the link ...I mean, I wouldn't mind ONE until I click it, then one more until I click again - but to get an email for EVERY SINGLE comment is ridiculous. It never used to be like that.

Also, is it even POSSIBLE to unsubscribe from a discussion any longer? I unticked the "bookmark this discussion" at the bottom. I unticked the bookmark symbol at the top. Neither worked. ...This is not the first thread I've had this problem with and is likely the reason I stopped using boards for many months. Boards is a great resource (I don't want to start a flame-war), but it wasn't broke until they "fixed" it.

(I only respond to this in this thread because I keep getting emails for this conversation. I have trawled through the notification options and don't see any that would help. I don't wish to hijack the thread. Sorry.)

I use the glovebox for stuff that lives in the car - wipes, eCars card, duster, etc. The cubbies are more for transitory stuff like water, keys, etc.

Regardless, the fact that the glovebox is opened from the screen is still a bad design choice, imo, even if you never used it.

Using the voice command might be handier, just one press of scroll wheel required. I opened ours last time when I swapped the USB stick with a USB HDD back in the winter.

I’ve yet to try voice commands but I have mapped the glovebox open command to a long press on the left steering wheel button, which is easier and faster than using the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Core6

Tesla Model 3 RWD 2022

in order of importance with the most important in both categories first

1. The reduction in running cost -- 400+ Kms for somewhere between €5 and €6 worth of electricity. That is less than the cost of a gallon of diesel!!
    2. The tech -- the technology is excellent, from the cameras to the energy usage information and the navigation system (that said, I was coming from an 11 year old Merc).
    3. The smug feeling that I'm doing my bit in reducing greenhouse gases
    4. It's great to drive -- great handling, single pedal driving, acceleration, visibility, etc.
    5. The lack of any servicing requirements. Other EV manufacturers insist on 'servicing' to maintain the warranty

Dislikes:

1. I bought the car before the current price reductions. I feared that the €5,000 EV grant would go at the end of 2022 (and, of course, I didn't know that Tesla would reduce the prices).
    2. It doesn't feel as solid as my previous car (the 11 year old Merc). I suspect that is to do with the frameless doors on the Tesla which don't have the same solid clunk when they close.
    3. The lack of a hatchback -- Of course I knew about that when I bought it and the boot is very big with the rear seats folded so it isn't an issue really.
    4. The turning circle isn't great.
    5. I'm struggling here as I really like the car and its been faultless in the 8 months and 8,000+ kms.

• Advertisement

One more dislike: the rear view mirror fells cheap and fragile.

(Really loving the car, though!)

Advertisement