Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea but the gist of the article is that the DAA and government are now in a tough position, as while they don't want to pay a lot for it right now, they also don't really want someone else buying it.

The DAA are likely to need/want it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

One of the only bits of forward planning ever done in this country is to acquire the lands etc for the North Runway years ago.

This is an absolute no brainer. Buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Karppi

It can't be done since the North Runway came into use as it is not permitted by the planning conditions (Condition 4, to be precise) that accompanied the planning approval for the North Runway

The crosswind runway (16-34) shall be restricted to essential occasional use on completion of the new runway in accordance with Objective DA03 of the Fingal County Development Plan, 2005-2011. ‘Essential’ use shall be interpreted as use when required by international regulations for safety reasons.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Given the inflated price that Ulick and his gang are seeking, it might make more sense for the DAA to point out that they can simply seek a CPO as and when the land is actually needed, and that the current zoning makes any non-airport related development on the land almost impossible.

If nothing else, it might help deflate the price to a level that makes it a bit more reasonable for the DAA to purchase at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

They can CPO it at leisure, no need to pay the wildly inflated price currently being sought for it. T3 isn't going to be needed for twenty years.

The sort of deliberate landhoarding to sell at a wildly inflated price to government the speculators are engaged in shouldn't be encouraged or rewarded.

• Advertisement

CPO only forces you to sell at the market value, so waiting for a CPO in future is not without risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I don’t know of any numbers but don’t the McEvaddys have a hugely inflated price in mind (or did anyway) which was way above market value to begin with?

The article suggests they based their valuation on the sale of another site, but the usage that other site was a car park and this site would never be allowed to be turned into a car park, and so DAA (and I guess, everyone else) put a much lower valuation on it.

Since it's zoned for the airport, presumably if anyone bought it they would be doing so purely to sell it to the DAA in future, and they'd be betting that for whatever reason the market value increases in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Russman

I think one problem (depending on your point of view) is that its hard to determine market value for land like that, where its sort of unique and there isn't really anything comparable anywhere to gauge it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yeah, something like 1.7m per acre! But that was a site that could be turned into anything really, considering it’s location! If the land to the west is zoned for airport use as the article says, then there is only one potential buyer which really drives the price down!

Wouldn’t surprise me if they settled for 250/300M in the end….! Way below the valuation given to the car park, but prob above what the DAA see as “market value”?!?!

• Advertisement

Back in 2017 when the sale of a portion of this land - 123 acres, vs the 260 acres now - was last mooted the DAA offered €20mn. The McEvaddys wanted €123mn. No agreement was reached.

The land is extremely limited in what can be done with it as its currently zoned, and thats very very unlikely to change. Its not generating much income year to year, certainly not enough to cover the interest repayments on hundreds of millions of euros in our current economic/interest rate climate.

I would be very surprised if a private investor is willing to pay hundreds of millions of euros for the land given that. The investor may realistically have to sit on it for decades, eating large yearly financial losses, before getting any financial return. And theres no way of knowing what that return will be. Its a bad bet.

All of which means the DAA/government are in a strong position to play hardball, there aren't going to be many interested parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Russman

I’d say that’s possibly how it will play out, some sort of middle ground price. Though if the parties are as far apart as suggested above, who knows. I don’t know the ins and outs of CPOs, but presumably if the land was sold to someone other than the DAA, that price would go some way toward setting the “market value” in the event of a CPO in the future ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, someone paying over the odds now does not set a future market value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I was just over on Flightradar24 and found a reviews section for Dublin

Must admit I'm stunned that it gets consistent 4 & 5 star ratings for getting to the airport. It's almost universally condemned on the Irish transport/infrastructure websites. Now maybe FR24 contributors are a bit different to the average airport punter but still...

The public transportation options are awful but if you're willing to get a taxi or drive its very close and easy to access from Dublin, more-so than a lot of international airports of its size are to their cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Yeah, credit where it's due – transport links notwithstanding, Dublin Airport is far from the worst.

The main thing missing is a train service. The current Metrolink proposal has links to both the DART and National Rail, though I suspect I may be six feet under by the time it is actually built.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

"McEvaddy said they want what is best for the country. "We're not going to be extortionists; the national interest [is what] we've always been about” - is a hilarious way of trying to frame his literal landhoarding and extortion efforts. I'm sure the DAA's offer of €20mn would have more than covered his purchase cost of the land, if he was such a good samaritan so eager to help out the national interest.

It sounds awfully like someone trying to put a positive spin on a terrible investment. He bought the land 27 years ago. I don't have the figure for how much revenue the land has generated in that time but I'd hazard a very strong guess its minimal given its location, use and zoning. And theres now the prospect of the DAA not buying the land for _another_ 20+ years...

Whats happened in reality here I'd suspect is McEvaddy bought the land in the mid-1990s thinking the old 1950s-1980s style brown envelope state property way of doing business would let him extort the state for a huge profit in a few years time. But thankfully times changed in the 2000s, we've cleaned up a lot of that corruption, and hes been left holding the bag for decades. So hes now finally giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,443 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thing is the location of the land, you’d be seriously unlikely to get planning permission to do anything aside from build a terminal, hangers or remote aircraft parking stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It's already zoned for airport use, and currently being used for agriculture.

Outside of what you've listed, the only other thing I could see it possibly getting permission for would be airport parking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Fingal have said they won’t zone any additional land in the county for airport parking. Personally I’d prefer if that site was zoned for parking and the old Quick Park site was zoned for residential or commercial or anything else given it’s proximity to public transport links.

The extended operating hours for the north runway started today but, from 1900 local, single-runway operations resumed.

Just noted this article on the IT website. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/06/02/airport-options/

It rehashes a lot of old ideas, including the Baldonnel and midlands airport ones. It doesn't display any detailed knowledge of aviation in Ireland. Shannon's "long runway" (3,200 metres), beloved of that airport and its upporters, no longer outranks Dublin's 28R (3,110 metres) to any significant degree but this "key fact" will keep being repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Economics101

Just read the John Burns piece in the I.T. Its one of the worst transport pieces I have ever seen, and that's saying a lot.

Just for starters, take Baldonnel as a 2nd Dublin Airport: the approach to the main runway is over tens of thousands of South Sublin houses, which would make the complains about 10L/28R at DUB utterly trvial. And to say that Baldonnel is close to the LUAS is just a joke.

Post edited by Economics101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

As I alluded to in another thread recently, when it comes to infrastructure, we're extremely good in this country at giving column inches to 'experts' who are given free reign to share their opposing ideas. The general public then latch onto these ideas, taking them at face value, believing there are better, cheaper and easier options. All it does is muddy the water, prolong needed infrastructure and usually adds to the cost as time passes by and construction inflation rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Rubbish article. Doesn't address any of the major issues with Baldonnel - conflict with DUB flight paths, ridiculously cramped site, proximity of mountains, and of course NOISE as there are hundreds if not thousands of times more households affected than there are by the north DUB runway.

Its continued existence is only tolerable because it is so little used.

Also peddles the nonsense that having two airports in a city is better than one - Belfast has two crap airports with the result that plenty of people go to DUB for greater choice of destinations and lower fares.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Paul2019

Prundo's comment is worth repeating...

"...when it comes to infrastructure, we're extremely good in this country at giving column inches to 'experts' who are given free reign to share their opposing ideas. The general public then latch onto these ideas, taking them at face value..."

The Irish Times is a national menace. With each passing year there appears to be less news and more vacuous opinion pieces and culture war articles.

But it really comes into it's own when it comes to sabotaging the provision of public transport improvements and housing. However, the two-airport "analysis" article was perhaps in a new class of stupid.

Now that click-baiting readers is paramount, it's hard to tell where the line between cynical click baiting and plain stupidity lies.

Dublin is cursed with having media outlets that oppose development in the city where they are based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The Irish Times publishes a front page advertisement for private jets about once a month – sometimes in the same issue as articles about the climate crisis. The level of hypocrisy is quite outstanding.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Baldonnel main gate is more or less equidistant (2.7 kilometres ) from the nearest LUAS line and the same distance from the Cork-Dublin railway line which would actually be an easier build by the look of it.

For comparison DAA departures road is 5.7k from the Dublin-Belfast line. ( all as the crow flies).

• Advertisement

The media need to dig a lot deeper than they do when airing these old chestnuts.

Few cities have two airports by design - where they do exist it's usually a product of history and, in the case of major metropolitan areas like London, Paris or New York, a reflection of the size of a catchment population that probably could not be catered for by a single airport. As regards Baldonnel (even leaving aside the noise issues and high ground to the south), it is landlocked on two sides at least by major roads and industrial parks and has only limited space for expansion, particularly of the ramp and runways. When USAF C-17s were handled there for the recent POTUS visit they had to park on the cross-runway, could not use the parallel taxiway for runway 28 and so had to backtrack and make a tight turn at the end of the runway for departure. Those bound for the US had to stop at Shannon for fuel because of the limited runway length. Arguably a development of Baldonnel would for practical purposes be a new-build airport by the time it was ready for business.

Advertisement