Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal cable rattle

Options
  • 29-05-2023 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Just picked my new bike on Saturday, trek domane al2 disc. Initially was d been looking at the rim brake version but went with disc as it can take wider tyres so do some light trail work with a decent set of tyres down the road

problem is the noise!! No review I watched or read mentioned this. All 3 internal cables clatter around.

have any of ye got any cheap fixes for this? A few I’ve watched on YouTube put foam around cable housing the full length of it.

that’s fine but your stuffed when it’s time to change that cable housing I guess.

im actually contemplating returning the bike and getting the rim brake version….. so much more straightforward

any suggestions welcome 🙏

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I’m after stripping a di2 bike and to prevent rattling on that on, lots of cable ties were placed along the internal part of the cabling. Maybe that could work?

Rim all the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pegdrums

100% Initially was going for the rim version. I will say having a 32mm tyre not a 25 is noticeably more comfortable.

But all these solutions like the zip ties you mentioned will be a pain in the hole when replacing outer cable which you'll have to eventually.

Just inspecting the entry/ exit points there and where cable leave downtime near BB the outer is ALREADY starting to chafe....45km on the bike!

Rim version is also a til lighter according to website.

I'll ring shop tomorrow and see if they'll do a swap.

I've loads of spares for a rim bike, nice wheels and tiagra callipers.

Kinda bummed I didn't discover all this while geeking out before buying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Randomly came across a video on this today

https://youtu.be/oBWhBM7KEoQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

One approach, which can be

It doesn't even have to be as complicated as that. You can now get foam sleeves ( like miniature versions of the foam insulation on water pipes). If like a lot of bikes with internal cabling, there an access panel under the bb shell, you can push the foam sleeve over the outer and up into the down tube.

Mad, Only saw that earlier after an angry panicky search on YouTube! First world problem I know but seems like such a silly, gonna ask local bike shop if I can swap it for rim version I think. First choice should always be trusted!!

• Advertisement

Its a good idea btw. There's a few similar to this. My concern is how does the foam stuff or whatever you se come out? It's bottom bracket off to get all the foamy bits inside your downtube out.

Internal cabling was the one feature I couldn't have cared less about when choosing the bike and it's the one feature that is a pain in my arse now. It's annoying on a 5km commute, sportif's are gonna be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Rim brakes will still have a rattle in the frame. What I thought was interesting was the zip ties and heat shrink both making noise. I was googling as I have a rim brake rattle I want to silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

If the wider tyres are important to you, I’m sure the bike shop will have a solution to the cable rattle issue and may sort it free of charge as part of first check/service or whatever 👍

That's an issue on my bike ya see, there's no access panel by BB, it's almost like a small secondary downtube that the cables pop out of. I'll put up a pic tomorrow. That's where the cables are already chafing. And where cables enter frame near headstock there's no removable bit, just holes which are only slightly larger than the cables.

Sorry, should have stated, the rim brake version has no internal cable routing. Just a nice straightforward bicycle a whole kilo lighter than the disc brake version.

• Advertisement

Yea it's worth asking them, they are a nice bunch. I'll ring them tomorrow and see what the craic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Cables on my bike are routed the same way. I had a rattle to begin with, but I was missing a rubber grommet from the entry point for one of the cables. Went back to the shop, they gave me one, and I've had no noise since.

Post edited by cletus on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had the same with my beautiful bike and it was a grommet had become loose. Clicked it back in, problem went away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just cross chain and ride the big big combination. Get the cable tension nice and high

I’ll pop in to the shop on the way home, there aren’t any rubber grommets on any of the three angry points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sorry mine are plastic and specifically for the entry point, but I do remember a co worker had rubber grommets along his cable to stop the ting as it hit the frame internally or externally but I suspect that was his own additions

Mine were for the entry points too, and one was missing, the other two were there.

Just back from LBS, who kindly took it in to workshop to see what they could do. Slight improvement. They put a bit of rubber hosing and a cable tie on the outside of the frame just before cables enter the frame to help limit the movement. Unfortunately it still clatters away when riding along just slightly less often.

Could you take a picture of the entry point for the cables?

top of downtube

• Advertisement

bottom of downtube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

At first I thought there was a missing grommet but it seems not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Try this stuff. If you can’t figure out how to use it I’d ask the place where you bought the bike to fit it.

https://www.wiggle.com/ie/p/lifeline-internal-routing-anti-vibration-foam

Cheers, ordered a pack of similar stuff, jag wire do it too but each section is 100mm longer, was a euro more I think.

Also found a foam thing like a pool noodle or too rack foam thingy. Its only a few mm thick, the same circumference as the down tube so would have plenty of space for cables......if I could squeeze it up through that tiny opening by BB. Basically it would sit flush against the inside of the downtube, like a foam liner. Could be a plan B.

Loving this bike though, most comfortable bicycle Ive ever had.

That photo you sent.....its a silly design isn't it? I might try squeeze a rubber o ring in their, the cable outer will wear quicker than it should as it rubs the opening.

Advertisement