Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on kid's bikes

Options
  • 30-05-2023 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I'm in the market for two kids bikes for age range 6-10 and looking for guidance. Kids are 6 so I'd like to get four-ish years out of the bikes if possible.

Criteria are:

1. must look like an MTB
    2. suspension is probably important (kids friends bikes have suspension so....). It might not be a dealbreaker if all other boxes ticked
    3. weighs less than a small anchor
    4. available in a bricks & mortar shop within the next week or so
    5. probably new as both would have to be in similar condition. Colour choice would probably be good too
    6. not too expensive as I'm buying two
    7. Resale potential is unimportant as they'll probably be passed on to other relatives kids eventually.

I'm not sure of the weight of this one but it ticks a lot of the other boxes:

It isn't in stock so might not be a runner.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

How tall are the kids? A 20" bike sounds small to me for that age range. My 7 year old (he's tall tbf) is now on a 26" while his friend who's more average height is on the 24" version of the bike you've linked.

The friend's dad picked up the 24" Rockrider very cheap on Adverts in perfect nick, might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I'd second Rockrider and a 24" (unless they are small for their age).They grow so fast at that age though, I'd be surprised if you get anywhere near 4 years out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Birka

Thanks - they're approx 1.1 and 1.3 meters tall so in and around 4 ft tall in old money.

I think we might need to visit a shop just to size them up - if it's borderline then a bigger bike might be a good idea

Thanks - it was probably wishful thinking that I'd get the four years out of them. The Rockrider does seem to be good value so it's not as big a deal as if the bikes were a lot more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kato74

Down to Halfords, they will talk you through everything & a good value range

• Advertisement

Just be wary of weight as OP has said they're conscious of that - several of the Halfords ones are 14-18kg for 24"

It looks like the 24" is available for delivery within 6 days. From what I can see it weighs around 13kg which isn't ideal but not terrible either.

You can see from here the value available for these on Adverts if you time it right. Unfortunately this one seems to have sold already.

https://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/decathlon-rockrider-mountain-bike/30312288

That was a bargain - I'll keep an eye out there. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

A frog 55, which is for 6-8 yr olds has a 20" wheel.

My 6:yr old isn't small for his age and it's plenty big with seat post almost fully inserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Second the Frog recommendation. No suspension but bikes are light. Great if you want to go distance (eg greenway) or there’s any hills. Rim brakes keeps tge mechanical side very easy.

Islabikes are similar but higher price/quality and only available online I think.

As someone said above, second hand is the way to go with kids bikes. Knock a few years out of them and sell at not much loss to fund something bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

For quality, value, longevity and resale-ability, go with either Frog or the Giant ARX range.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Another vote for frog. Got one for our 6 year old secondhand for 200. I expect to able to sell it on for close to the same amount when she grows out of it.

Im open to correction, but I would suspect that any kids bike with suspension will weight a lot. Forends having suspension could result in a hard sell all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Just a quick side note: any childs bike with front suspension will be more than likely heavy steel fork tubes and steel stanchions, making the fork alone as heavy as the frame!

They're just for show/going off kerbs and serve no other function other than bragging rights in the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think you'd be lucky to get 4 years, but obviously that depends on the child (having "lost" one of my own bikes to my then 12 year old, albeit with a shorter stem!)

We ended up getting halfords carrera hybrid for them, with no front suspension. They were decent enough and got passed on to the cousin (and one to a neighbour). They don't seem to have the same model now though. Frog I'm sure are great, but mine were the same size in bike and they were just too much. I always felt there was a bit of compromise between value/ quality of the bike and them using it - too much locking/ preciousness they just didn't bother!

Yeah I had the 20" Carrera hybrid for my son and it was great. Any wear was due to years of abuse from him rather than any issues with components, frame etc. It was lightweight too and he did huge mileage on it for his age.

My 3yo is currently on a 16" Carrera and we reckon he cycles 5-6km a day on average 😄 I don't think I've ever had better value for money for any bike(s) I've bought, including my own small fleet!

Advertisement