Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2022: 10% reduction in Roman Catholic numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s a self-identifying question, not an exam.

Got me wondering now is there need for a ‘Salty AF’ option 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Catholic patronage schools (a shade under 90% of primary schools) are no longer allowed to use religion as an admissions criterion, thankfully (the ~5% of Protestant schools, and literal handful of Jewish or Muslim schools still are).

But that doesn't mean that parents opting their kids out of religion (as is their constitutional right) have an easy time of it, either. Even where the right to opt-out is respected, in practice it means the child sitting in the religion class, just not participating.

A minimum of 10% of the school day is spent on this (2nd and 6th classes are much worse).

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The drop of answers being Catholic isn't the big news.

The massive rise of "No Religion" is the take away here

Well the proportion of practising catholics is nothing like 69% so the accuracy/honesty of these answers seems about on a par with the ludicrous results we get for the "I speak Irish" question.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

That's what the "other" option is for. You can identify as catholic or be Roman Catholic.

They're all nonsense but political decisions are made based on the census and the church will have power or not, from the answers

• Advertisement

Yes, 62% increase in six years is a heck of a lot.

451,941 people to 736,210.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

I agree but those results are a reason why the church still has a strangle hold on schools and in hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

The scandals though havent intensified in the last 6 years have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Well that's not true.

I do not identify as a Catholic, but the Church would identify ME as a catholic.

A Catholic by definition participates in worship and must attend mass unless you've a good reason not to, such as being ill or doing charitable works. You also have to observe the sacraments, have confession, observe fasts and abstinences, observe the rules around marriage, and a good bit more. My gran and grandad are Catholic.

Some people in Ireland are Lapsed Catholics, where they did this once upon a time, but don't anymore. My mother and father are lapsed Catholics.

Now, the majority, myself included, are cultural Catholics, where your mammy made you go to mass. You got baptised because the school wouldn't take you if you weren't, you got Communion and Confirmation because the rest of your class were doing it, and it was a good way to get money.

But, the only proper way to leave the Catholic Church is either never get baptised in the first place, or get excommunicated.

Really, the census should be worded to include the word "practicing".

People answer in the way they feel best describes themselves, that’s the whole point of asking the question in the first place. What you’re at is like declaring yourself the arbiter of other people’s identities, pretty much what the Church does really, except from your own perspective. It’s not just the Church will have power, it’s those other religions and none will have power too - that’s why for you the takeaway that mattered was the increase in the number of people who selected no religion.

The Church would be more than happy with a 40% increase in 6 years if they could get it, so I’d take that and run with it if I were you 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I agree with that but clearly a lot of people don't. If there were 3.5m practicing Catholics the catholic churches all over the country wouldn't be empty each Sunday.

For whatever reason a lot of people who don't practice are unwilling to take that step and check that "No Religion" box. Perhaps it's guilt. Perhaps it's self delusion. Perhaps it is superstition. Who knows?

Be gas if there were Muslims and Hindus saying the same thing 🤔

/shower thoughts 😂

It would be very interesting to see an age breakdown of each category.

it would also be interesting to see a breakdown by country of origin. (I don't think we get a lot of No Religion immigrants)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Let's face it, the majority of those who ticked the "Catholic" box don't understand, nevermind practice, the religion they culturally identify with. Ask the majority of them who the immaculate conception refers to and they'll answer "Jesus", ask them if they believe they have the right to disagree with some aspects of the church's teachings while still calling themselves Catholic and they'll believe they do.

Quite simply: if 69% of the Irish population were actually Catholic, gay marriage, contraception and abortion would still be illegal and Ireland would still be a backwards, mysogynistic, homophobic shithole where child abuse was par for the course.

Thankfully, most of those self-identifying as Catholic aren't and the country's a much better place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

It’s a far higher figure of Catholics than the Dublin media would have us believe and didn’t drop all that much considering all the church bashing on Irish times / indo etc . From my visits to my local church plenty of Poles , far east Asia & Nigerians Catholics as well that have moved to this country .

Ireland still has one of the highest Catholic population percentages in Europe .

Dublin is the lowest Catholic county at 53% of the population but many counties in the 70 plus % bracket with Mayo highest at 80% . A lot of people may only go to mass now and again but still associate as Catholic .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm a bit surprised that no other religion is greater than 2%

It's all down to political cowardice and a small but very vocal conservative Catholic lobby. Plus the fact that most politicians went to religious order schools, some of them very exclusive ones.

The majority of parents want non-religious schools, survey after survey has shown this for years.

Using a box-tick from a pensioner in, say, Donegal to attempt to justify what type of school gets built in, say, Cork is completely mad, but that's what this box-ticking exercise for the whole population is doing.

It fell by 10% of the whole population (not just 10% of Catholics) in only six years.

That's a disastrous drop by any standards. But then we get the usual "I went into a church and it was fairly full actually"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Recently there was a count done at weekend masses . I’d guess it’s to do with lack of priests going forward and cutting back on masses where attendances are lowest .

In our town of 2000 people there was an average of 415 attending the 3 masses at the weekend over a months figures which gives you circa 21/22%. .

I’d say half of those going go every week circa 200 but of the other half there seemed to be some who go every second week or once a month or other hap hazard attendance but you could have had 30/35 % who were there at least once a month . The numbers were higher than expected but for many it’s a chance to meet a few , getaway from it all for an hour , say a few quite prayers , maybe offload their worries by lighting a candle etc .

‘Tis like, a disastrous drop, but as you point out it’s a national figure, and some places there genuinely is higher mass attendance at particular times while around the rest of the country you won’t hear from them because they don’t attend mass themselves for one thing to find out that none of their neighbours do either 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Given that in other countries, people are queueing up to send their children to Catholic schools, why would we want to "get the church out of schools"?

The majority of parents are happy that churches own and run some schools.

What is the alternative patronage model? The ETB to own and run every school? A State monopoly of ETB schools?

I suspect that if churches are not allowed to own schools, then neither could ET?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

All those empty churches could be used to accommodate refugees. It would be quote a christian thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kato74

Others will multiply in a few short years, Catholics will be a small minority in this country

Fair enough, I get what you're saying. Always think that the religion question should be

Question X:

a/ Do you actively practice a religion

• Yes
    • No

b/ If answer to above is yes...

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

According to who? Because in the church's eyes once a Catholic always a Catholic, they don't do excommunications

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

And in the past there would have been plenty of nosy ones as census workers who would have had a peek, or at least people had the suspicion they would. It would be rare but people would still have a paranoia in the country. Loads of people I knew never put down there proper jobs as they were paranoid the DSP were checking them (the level of cross departmental working that would require makes the idea ludicrous) but it was a genuine concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Forget about patronage altogether: education is a right, not something to be granted or denied by vested interest groups who style themselves as "patrons".

The Department of Education owning and managing every school in the country would be the ideal. Simpler to administrate, less opportunity for the indoctrination of children by adherants to ancient middle-eastern superstitions or the modern American equivalents like Scientology etc.

It would also afford an amazing opportunity to level the playing field for children no matter what geographical region or socio-economic background their neighbourhood etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So desperate to win the Sam Maguire that they will try anything is the answer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

Disagree. Even if you just do Xmas and the other right if passage rituals, that to me says you subscribe to a religion. Wether you believe it or not. Many say they do religion to help kids with a code of morality. So they are in a sense catholic. Very few people are atheist and not apart if some kind of religious rituals.

• Advertisement

It's not just people not wanting the census collector so read their answers either. In many households people would not answer that question honestly either because they wouldn't want to anger/offend another person in the household or another person in the household filled their pages in for them and they didn't actually get to answer it for themselves (that'll be the case with a lot of teenagers for example).

Advertisement