Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I emailed Revenue to ask about the procedure for buying a secondhand book from UK. I got an automatic reply stating that they would reply in order of receipt but that there might be a delay due to how busy they were. A few weeks later I got a very clear, personalised reply explaining the procedure in detail and commenting that as there is no VAT on books I shouldn't be charged, but that if I were charged incorrectly, I could apply to be refunded. A very efficient reply from Revenue - I was very impressed. I ordered the book and it was delivered without any extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 i.browne1

I bought some electronical goods from the UK. They arrived via courier and I paid over €200 in taxes and customs owed through UPS.

Subsequently I have returned the goods to the UK and received a refund. I'm wondering am I entitled to a refund on the taxes and customs paid as I did not keep the items?

If so how do I go about claiming this. Revenue website direct me to the courier but UPS are directing me back to revenue.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

UPS did the customs entry, so its up to them to pursue it.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 i.browne1

I thought as much. Has anyone had any joy in following this up with a courier or is there anyway I can chase it myself with revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 2021rocks

Looking at purchasing musical instrument from a business in the UK.

Different options. I can buy a new instrument or a second hand one. I can buy an instrument made in UK or made in the EU.

Do different VAT rates apply to musical instruments? I have come across conflicting information online. There are a number of instruments available but obviously if I can legally minimise any VAT or duties by choosing one made in UK or Europe or does that have any effect? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm getting pretty damn sick of this now. A car bulb was sent to me from the UK last week, second hand, cost me £5. Got the letter today to pay a further €21 plus €3.50 admin. The UK was the only place I could source it. This is the fourth or fifth time I've been overcharged for things.

Is there any place like parcel motel that is a work around for this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭tphase

so it cost you €86 in shipping and insurance?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

First post in the thread gives you most, if not all information

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

have you checked out EU sites like thomann.de ?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Thanks. Have checked Thomann but not what I'm looking for.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I read that but I see something there that I don't see on the Citizens Information.

"If the item you are buying is sourced within the EU, then you do not pay duty or VAT, as it will already have been paid."

If I understand this correctly then if I buy the instrument from the UK but it's made and sourced in EU, I should not have to pay VAT @23% on my purchase. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

No, if you are buying from the UK you have sourced the item from the UK and it will be subject to VAT and any applicable duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If the €21 charge you paid is VAT @23%, then the total value of your goods is €91 ie purchase price + shipping + insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alanwalker

Hi All,

Just back from a fishing trip in Mexico and really enjoyed using Black Hole fishing rods that the lodge had on the tackle hire package.

In short I am looking to buy a pair of Black Hole spinning and jigging rods from either the US or Japan as I am unable to find any in Europe.

My only problem is that I cannot make sense of the import taxes and duties rules on the Irish Gov website no matter how many times I read it. I understand the €150 limit but when it goes into the example breakdowns I cannot make sense of it. I

I have tried several different tax calculator websites and I have been told different rates of fees but also been told by a few people that there was no import charges from Japan when they bought stuff like clothes and sports equipment well over the €150 limit.

Could someone with experience of importing from these countries let me know your experiences and what it cost. 

Just as a guide the rod from Japan is €317 and the rod from US is $508 in total and both have free international shipping as they are over the minimum spend.

Thank you for your time and help, I really appreciate you helping me with your knowledge about this as I have never done so before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Anything I have purchased from the US or Japan in the last 2 years has been hit for VAT

In the past, it was more random - most packages got through unscathed.

TBH, your biggest worry is not the VAT. I have had also had packages from both countries rejected by An Post due to "failed electronic customs clearance". There's plenty posts about that here. Any of my recent purchases from Japan have all been delivered by Fedex rather than international airmail. The downside is paying a handling charge in addition to the VAT. The upside is that the package doesn't get rejected by An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭michael jay

I got a birthday card and cash from an aunt, they charged vat on it as she registered the post, is that not a step to far?

Lower limit was removed some time ago now, so in the eyes of Revenue, no. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058190416/vat-exemption-on-items-under-22-from-outside-eu-disappearing-on-1-july-2021#latest

Revolut is one of the best ways to avoid this. Cash should never be sent be post anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Did they charge VAT on the cash or just the postage element? Cash is neither a good or service so not sure how they could charge VAT on it.

Marking the package as "gift" with a total value not exceeding 45 euro still works for items coming from UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Im hoping to make a purchase from China and ordered a small sample which arrived few days ago. The value of it was $2.60, but shipping etc brought total purchase price to $35 which was fine. However UPS then imposed charges of VAT €25.19 and a Disbursement charge of €9.41. I paid up to receive the sample and then immediately contacted UPS who couldnt or wont tell me why charges were applied. Eventually they said they would refund me but this will take 4 to 6 weeks. Anyway my problem is the purchase i want to make now will cost approx €1,000 incl shipping. I know VAT at 23% will be applied and a tariff at 3%, thats fine, but i have no idea if they will lump the previosuly mentioned type of charges (% wise) on me again? I can't afford to be waiting weeks for a refund if they do.

Read this thread which will explain customs clearance charges VAT etc. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a refund as they are charging as they should. I certainly wouldn’t be spending that kind of money until you understand the process.

i will move this thread over there tomorrow.

I had actually read that thread which is why i posted, i was hoping someone might explain how they could charge VAT of €25 on delivery that cost €35, its approx 70%. I have looked up the Taric codes etc and have no issue with the duty or VAT if its charged at 23%. Apologies if im posting in wrong place, i was kind of hoping someone might point out something glaringly obvious that im missing

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Without a breakdown of the 25 euro it is hard to say. Did they give you an invoice for the charge?

UPS handling charge is c. 18.50 - are you sure that’s not making up the bulk of it

Wouldnt give me an invoice but this is the breakdown i eventually got of them

VAT: €25.19

DISBURSEMENT FEE: €9.41

TOTAL: €34.60”

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did it not mention the value of the that they used to calculate the VAT?

no - that's their charge for doing the customs clearance

• Advertisement

The what? Sorry not sure what you mean, the value of the package? No

Advertisement