Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dont Be at It

No, that'd would be proprietary information I'd imagine.

Your second question is valid alright but I don't think there's any profiteering taking place among supply companies to be honest. I don't think even one reported a profit last year? None of the big ones anyway.

What I think will be interesting to see is if a new supply company starts up in the next few months to take advantage of the current situation and offer lower rates. They could offer a pass through of the current, relativey low, wholesale prices (plus a margin for profit) while the big companies are locked out because of having already hedged. We'll almost certainly see it in the UK... Maybe here too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭gjim

Exposing household consumers to wholesale prices is a great idea in theory - as the prices provide a strong incentive for people to change their usage patterns in a way that aligns with the cost of production. And it works great until it doesn’t - like in Texas 2021 when wholesale prices peaked at $100s per kWh. I still think it should be an option for customers but understand that most people will struggle to grasp our v quantify the risk involved in such pricing and will run to politicians to demand bailouts when things go pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

It's not just this though. Think of the complexity required for the electricity billing system to have a real time track of the wholesale electricity price then rate all customers usage in real time based on this. If the wind stops blowing or the sun stops shining then the price can change quickly as gas is brought on-stream

Then think of the customers bill showing this detail, every month the cost would be different

• Registered Users Posts: 10,345 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah but is that not the idea of decoupling renewable electricity from fossil fuel electricity?

When the wind blows and we get adequate solar- we get cheap electricity.

When there’s a high pressure system in the depths of winter resulting in low wind we use fossil fuel which means expensive electricity.

Otherwise how can we get cheap electricity using renewables?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmqSnoH6rfo, interconnectors in europe and the world

• Advertisement

When there’s a high pressure system in the depths of winter resulting in low wind we use fossil fuel which means expensive electricity.

Have you info on this? I'd love to know when was the last such issue and what was the impact to energy generation?

Not saying you're wrong, I just hear this trotted out every now and again but I've yet to see it backed up with any data

Well if the parameters that I mention above happen with our current system it means we have very little wind generation (as there’s low wind speeds) and low solar (as it’s winter). This then means we have a shortfall in electricity generation so we need the shortfall picked up by fossil fuels.

I mean this has happened a good few times last year and previously. As you are fond of saying on other threads- google is your friend here.

That’s beside the point of the question I asked though in response to the other posters very valid question.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not only do extended periods of high pressure in winter give rise to no wind, and limited sunshine (because it is dark much more than half the time), it also gives rise to severe low temperatures with hard frosts. So very low temperatures, and next to no renewables. Such periods could last for up to 10 or so days, but not often.

This is when interconnectors and grid level storage come into their own. Biogas and hydrogen might have to do some heavy lifting.

Or perhaps, we may have to insulate houses more, and stay under the duvet, working from home.

These conditions only occur once or twice a year.

Yeah, that's a fair point. It's all fine with the consumer until its not fine.

I should have included that it's also a good time for a "normal" retail supplier to come in and take advantage of relatively low forward prices while not having any of the hedging hangover from high prices last year. Doesn't necessarily have to be a pass through tariff!

Not sure what you mean here... the supplier doesn't care where the electricity is coming from. It just cares about price and volume. Sure, if the wind stops blowing prices will spike but that's been the case for years now. It's part and parcel of the industry. They don't buy power directly from generators per se; they can buy it from the daily wholesale auctions ran by Semo at whatever the outturn price is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Would you not just burn gas for those few days, maybe 3% of the year. If the other 97% are powered by renewables its still pretty low emissions overall.

Also we had weather like that a few months back and the weather buoys offshore were all reporting wind speeds sufficient to run turbines. So in a few years it should be less of an issue than now.

Well if the parameters that I mention above happen with our current system it means we have very little wind generation (as there’s low wind speeds) and low solar (as it’s winter). This then means we have a shortfall in electricity generation so we need the shortfall picked up by fossil fuels.

I mean this has happened a good few times last year and previously. 

Its your claim, not mine 🤷‍♂️

Just asking you to back it up. If you don't have any data to back it up thats fine, just say so

As you are fond of saying on other threads- google is your friend here.

I did dig into it and found nothing, hence the request

That’s a ridiculous post.

Many posters have sent links and screengrabs of Eirgrids fuel mix on those very days and that clearly shows low levels of renewables on the system.

Again though you seem reluctant to answer the question regarding cheap electricity being provided by renewables?

Absolutely and I’m not disputing that.

Im merely asking/commenting on how that is setup from a billing perspective.

Cheap electricity via renewables and expensive via fossil fuels- so how does the billing of that for the consumer work?

In a few years if we get the turbines built that’s great but at the moment we don’t- hence my point about how you work out the billing.

The billing would have to show the cost for cheap renewables and expensive fossil fuels so how is that worked out for the cost the customer pays?

The wholesale price per hour (or whatever time period) doesn't get split up by generation type like that. All the generators, gas, coal, wind, hydro, whatever, all bid whatever price they feel is needed to cover their gen costs into a daily auction. The units clear the auction by cheapest to most expensive until demand is met. There's a single marginal clearing price that everyone then gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

if the fossil fuel generated electricity price is high and renewable energy is plentiful then customers will benefit from a refund through the PSO.

Ok so how can we get cheaper electricity from renewables if we still need gas (for example) to cover a dip in wind?

Not only do extended periods of high pressure in winter give rise to no wind, and limited sunshine (because it is dark much more than half the time), it also gives rise to severe low temperatures with hard frosts. So very low temperatures, and next to no renewables. Such periods could last for up to 10 or so days, but not often.

These conditions only occur once or twice a year.

Yeah this is what I'm talking about, is there data that shows this. I've seen some posters claim these periods can last for several weeks but I've never seen any actual data to show that

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just don't think its as big of an issue as some let on, but maybe it is, but without some evidence its hard to say.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

😅 I think different people are talking about different things here.

Agreed, but on an annualised basis not hour by hour.

So generally speaking in the periods where the wind is blowing and there's high renewable generation prices will be lower. When the wind stops and thermal gen had to take over them prices will be higher on average.

In theory the more renewables you can get on the system the lower the wholesale price will be, on average (but the renewable portion of this will be topped up to the agreed subsidy price via the PSO levy). But there will still be some periods with high prices where there's no wind /high demand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We remember the long hot summers of - now when was it? - perhaps we don't. Maybe cold snaps are more memorable.

Well, we must remember the heavy snowfalls - well there was one in early Jan 1982 - just after new year - I remember it well. The whole of Dublin was snowed in for a week, with no snow ploughs to clear it - because we never have snow. We had to wait for it to melt.

Also, we had very cold weather in 2010 (20 degrees C) with everywhere frozen solid, and crampons were in high demand. [Most people had never heard of crampons].

I am told 1947 and 1963 were memorable cold snaps as well.

I'd say five days would be the longest a November cold snap ever lasted. Ground frost because of no cloud cover, fog because of the temperature inversion which persisted because of the lack of wind - but not for long. Also limited hours of sunshine because it is wintertime, and the sun is lowdown in the sky.

Well, we combat it by having interconnectors, all the houses well insulated, and people restricting their travel because everyone will have mega broadband. Also shutting down unessential use of electricity.

We will just have to not consume as much electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Let me try and explain in it in an extremely simplified real world example that many people would be familiar with.

This should be obvious to anyone with gas or oil central heating, assuming you have a regular bill (rather then a level pay one). Just think of how expensive your gas bill is during the winter months and then how relatively cheap it is during the summer months. Of course because you use far more gas in winter then in summer.

Now image how much your yearly gas bill would be if you for some reason had to run your gas heating all year long!

Or on the opposite, now imagine how cheap your bill would be, if you highly insulated your home and now you only had to run your gas for the coldest two weeks of the year, rather then the whole of winter.

Ok but don’t renewables require spinning reserve the price of keeping that spinning reserve has to be built into the minimum price consumers pay.

Or is the idea we replace spinning reserve with flywheels? (Which is happening as we speak).

I just don’t understand how you can have cheaper electricity if you need fossil fuel reserve plus wind in case the wind drops off.

Fossil fuel plants have Maintainence needs all year round that has to be paid for so they will have to get a price that keeps them open which the consumer pays I would imagine?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Here's an analogy. Not an exact model. In good weather you cycle to work, on bad days you take the car. Bikes costs money but you save on petrol and wear associated car maintenance.

By 2030 our fossil fuel emissions have to drop to 20% of what they were. That's a huge reduction in fuel imports.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-65750084.amp

Plans to build a new £700m interconnector between Scotland and Northern Ireland which would represent over 40% peak winter demand in NI (in total?)

Transmisson Investment said its project, known as LirlC, aims to provide up to 700MW of further capacity between the Irish Single Electricity Market and the Great Britain wholesale electricity market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

It appears that the Mayo electrolyser has been given conditional approval (17 conditions) but details yet to be uploaded.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Ok but don’t renewables require spinning reserve the price of keeping that spinning reserve has to be built into the minimum price consumers pay."

Spinning reserve is different from power plants just being off/stand by. All electricity generation requires spinning reserve, even current gas/coal stations do. After all, think about it, what would happen if a 400MW gas turbine suddenly "broke" and went off the grid. You need spinning reserve ready to quickly compensate.

Spinning reserve is increasingly going to be serviced by flywheels and batteries, which are excellent at that. Dams and pumped hydro can then kick in. open cycle gas turbines would be up and running in just a few minutes and closed cycle gas turbines in less then an hour.

But that isn't really what we are talking about here, what you are asking about it how you handle a couple of days of a wind lull. The thing is they don't just suddenly happen, our weather forecasting is good enough to a couple days in advance to predict them, giving you plenty of time to prepare gas plants to be brought online.

As for how do you pay for those gas plants if they mostly aren't being used, well that comes down to economics. Typically there are two main costs to operating a power plant, the capital costs and the ongoing operating costs. The nice thing about gas plants is that the capital costs are "relatively" reasonable while the operating costs are largely mostly the cost of gas.

Obviously if you run the gas power plant less often, then you use less gas and saved greatly on that cost. Obviously you still need to cover the capital costs, some operating costs and make a profit, but you'll do that with higher prices at the times when the wind isn't blowing.

Of course they won't have those times all to themselves, they will have to keep with offshore wind, hydro, various battery techs, interconnectors, etc. all competing for those expensive times.

BTW Going back to our earlier analogy, where you go from using your gas heating six months in the year, to just two weeks as you improved your insulation. You still have the gas boiler, you still have that capital expense, plus have to pay for the gas connection, but your gas bills will be much lower due to the far less gas you use (operating cost). Basically you gas boiler is you "power plant" and the money you spent on it your capital expense, while your gas bill is your operating cost. Obviously very simplified, but hopefully makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Having adequate generation available is the reason for the capacity remuneration mechanism which is an aspect of the market. The CRM pays capacity auction (different from the daily electricity auction) winners for being available, whether they are called or not. This is the aspect of the market that has gone a bit wrong over last three years resulting in risks for the grid over last winter and winter before (which ultimately did not materialize).

It is undoubtedly true that capacity payments will have to go up to build more needed gas capacity, and of course, electricity customers ultimately pay for this. Prospect of scarcity pricing (being able to Jack up the price because daily market is desperate) is not enough to justify building a plant.

in the end, the spectre of high carbon prices as the EU-level cap is squeezed downwards is what makes using renewables to reduce gas consumption really attractive.

Renewables need ZERO extra spinning reserve, because the largest single generator (thermal) is bigger than any our current windfarms.

There's other rules. For voltage stability in the Dublin area alone you need at least two large on-load generators AT ALL TIMES which can be DB1, HNC, HN2, PBA, PBB and three if total demand goes over 4.7GW etc. If we have high renewables output then we still need grid-stability from those high inertial generators but we don't need the surplus power and it can be exported.

If you are worried about renewables output then compare the weather forecast for a week ahead with the Fast Frequency Response of 0.18 seconds. (It takes about 0.3 seconds to blink an eye). Also we'll soon have a new satellite that will provide 10 minute updates at resolutions of 500 meters. It's getting to the point where you could see when the clouds will reach a solar farm.

The System Margins Outlooks (every Monday and Friday) and Weekly Operational Constraints Update explain it. Latest versions on https://www.sem-o.com/publications/general-publications/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

So

Why isn't Germany weaning itself off gas and coal then given its large onshore and offshore wind capacity??

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/german-industry-pay-40-more-energy-than-pre-crisis-study-says-2023-01-30/

Love to know where your 3% figure came from?? As others have mentioned the Grid Dash board is telling when it comes to wind energies limitations to meet peak demand periods during the year. As consumers are finding out, indulging such fantasies come with a very high price tag when you hand over pricing and control of basic utilities to companies that are little more than speculators set up to gouge bill payers via deeply flawed developer led energy policies.

• Advertisement

Advertisement