Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And here you are, presumably you would like the world to be inclusive, tarring all nationalities or religions with one brush.

Being gay, you are aware that it is not a choice? There are gay people all over the world, of all nationalities and all religions. Banning a whole nationality of people or a religion because you believe they are against gay people is ridiculous and discrimination.

Indeed I have spoken to men (& women) from Asia and Africa and surprisingly found them all to be different and hold different views.

It's a horrible thing to say, but there are Irish people who don't like gay people either. Luckily we live in a country where we do not discriminate based on sexual orientation, among other things like religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Ah OK, so when you said "pouring petrol on the bonfire" in the context of a thread about refugees you meant what exactly? A nuanced argument that refugees may have some modest impact here and there on housing supply? Didn't sound like it.

Even at that, your argument still doesn't make sense. You said the refugee issue was fuel to the fire on the housing crisis, before claiming that little old White Knight me was ignoring the fact that people are OK with legal, managed migration — but all the while ignoring the fact that legal, managed migration is far more of a factor in good housing supply being taken up than refugees. The largest migrant populations in Ireland are from the EU, America, India and Brazil. Many of the migrants from those countries have OK to decent incomes and are capable of at least renting in places like Dublin. Refugees are being shipped into hotels, centres and now disused buildings and we are supposed to somehow believe that they are the competitors of the young professionals queuing up to view apartments.

And of course there are things we can do about refugees and migration. We have just witnessed the outbreak of a major conflict in Europe though that has caused a spike in refugee numbers coming here. This is not an easy situation to handle in a way that is fair to everyone.

No, they haven't 'become' dodgy, they always were, slightly, like most cities.

As a solo traveler I would be very aware of my surroundings & have also travelled around Asia, feeling very safe.

I have always felt safe in Europe also, the only places I felt were a little dodgy were Sofia & Athens, & tbf, nothing happened there. In contrast I was scammed by a taxi driver in Vietnam (didn't succeed 😁)

And on 2 different occasions 2 different groups tried to rob my bag in Vietnam and Cambodia.

Crime doesn't automatically equal immigrants, no matter how you try to spin it.

Go on out of that, I don't even know what gaslighting is!

I was asking the poster a question, which he still didn't actually answer.

What law allows you to stop people on the streets and demand a passport?

There is no duty on any EU citizen to register their domiciliary in this country. We have no idea who are coming and going, but that doesn't seem to bother most posters, who are only worried about non eu immigration. Why is that I wonder 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Refugees have no impact on housing were told. Even when the housing minister announced last year we'd need build 33k houses for Ukrainians alone in the next 5 year's, still no impact!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

There is a duty on EU citizens to not immigrate and depend on the state or fail to look for employment IIRC. I think they have 6 months to find work. They are also required to show proper identification on entry. Maybe that’s what you are confused about?

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

I'm not confused at all. Article 45 of TFEU states

'Every citizen of the Union has the right to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States'

I'm sure everyone is more than aware of that. What those eu citizens don't have to do however is register their domiciliary in this country. Posters don't seem to have any issue with thousands of unknown EU citizens living here, but huge issues with non EU citizens living here, even though we know exactly where they are, have their photographs & fingerprints.

Just find it very strange the amount of crying over 'unvetted ' immigrants (non EU) when there are thousands on non vetted Irish and EU citizens living beside you....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The subject was broached by other posters who were saying that refugees would be homophobic because of the cultures in the countries they are fleeing/ coming from .

We all know that that is more BS being heaped , like the alleged murder and rape claims, as some are actually fleeing that repression themselves .

Not all, I grant you , and a lot of the integration work being done with these people is to teach them what is both legal ulturally acceptable in Ireland and what is not .

They may not accept that but they will have to abide by pur laws.

People here, are prosecuted all the time as you know for all sorts of crimes and why would refugees be different.

But it is wrong to say that this is an in surmountable issue .

The Ireland I and others grew up in was way more homophobic, racist and anti women than it is today . Even up to the noughties.

I cannot see it returning to dark times of the 70s and 80s but I suppose if it is happening in America it might happen here .

But not through allowing refugees , through allowing hate and hysteria to be whipped up by people, the likes of which have not had a foothold in this country before . Not the way it has happened in other countries like UK and America . Far right groups .

It would be shameful if it happened in our generation

I know there are people here who think this is just paranoia.

It's not. They are there at all the marches and protests, filming and whipping ordinary people up , pushing it more and more ..posting on social media , and on here ..

Irish people have changed so much for the better culturally in the last 40 years, and it's not just through travelling to other countries and being more affluent , we are more educated and open than we have ever been before .

We are less religious , but we are more independent than we have been in any time in our history .

We are less easy to influence one would think.

However there are parts of Ireland that still harp back a bit and are not as open to minorities , be they gay , ethnic or foreign , and I think this is what the poster I was replying to was talking about . Better than it was but not as easy as in cities. . And maybe they are feeling their world is going to be even more difficult now .Think that was his point .

Have to laugh at the idea that Ireland was better than Lonfon or Paris when back then two gay men couldn't walk down the street together without being hurled abuse and set upon in some cases.

If anything people should be fighting to prrserve equality nit rail against it.

As for my views about the Far Right, yeah, I am concerned.

The Swedes and the Americans never expected the far right to gain a foothold and grow in their open liberal societies .

People need to be wary of who is telling them how to think , act and vote , not just MSM but everywhere ., including this site.

I think the Dept .of Integration are working fulltilt , but they have been left by the rest of government to get on with an uphill battle which does noone , refugees or communities, any favours .

It's just a goddamn shame that our infrastructure ( housing , health , government ) hasn't kept up with all the positive change in our country over the last 20 years or so.

Leo and MM really need a good kick up the axxx to allow this to develop the way it has and they need to pull it all back now and get the basics right .

How can we refuse refugees fleeing from war though?

We can put a reasonable limit on it and I think we will have to.

• Advertisement

And if you want the whatabout route the guy that killed his entire family there in Tallaght..

But there isn't thousands of unknown EU citizens living here. In my response to you I explicitly stated that EU citizens are required to show passports or identification to enter. Also, as also stated, they are required to be self sufficient, disbarred from lodging claims for asylum and finally, these arrangements are reciprocal with countries of origin who are obliged to co-operate with ourselves in managing the flows. I suspect none of this makes any difference to you. You have your bone and you're invested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Very easily. We can only do so much. We're a small island nation with massive internal issues (housing, health, poor Governance etc) and limited resources that are already hugely stretched.

Do I feel sorry for (genuine) refugees - of course.

Do I feel responsible for helping them resettle here? - nope. Ireland isn't responsible for the ills of the world and we don't start any wars. We have legal opt-outs of these "requirements" that we should be activating, but we have a Government determined to run our country over a cliff (again!) for whatever reason.

Recent poll results are inescapable. The electorate are demanding a change of approach.

Of course there is!

Show me the register of eu citizens living here?

Showing a passport on entry (at an airport) because obvs you can enter by land or sea and never have your passport checked, does not mean that you are living here. It's merely a check on people entering. They could leave tomorrow!

And yes, they are not supposed to be a burden in the state, but there are many eu citizens living here in social welfare.

Of course, if they are self sufficient, and live in this country......we have no way of knowing.......

How many EU citizens are living in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

And neither should we to be clear. It was the usual all refugees are fleeing war trope used by the media.

I never claimed there was a register of EU citizens living here. What I am claiming again and again and again is that EU immigration is subject to an entirely different set of rules and regulations. Obviously there are EU citizens living here in receipt of welfare but that would have required that they register themselves with the appropriate authorities with adequate controls to establish identities and satisfy whatever requirements that are considered necessary to receive it.

If you have proof that EU citizens are rocking up without identifying themselves, not looking for employment as required or for the appropriate length of time and being handed welfare/housing etc on demand, feel free to post it. Don't worry, I will happily condemn it if true.

Again, you may be surprised to hear, I agree with you.

I don't agree with all the antiimmigrant blame game, but think we have reached the limit.

If they cut it off now I don't think we can be accused of not doing our utmost to help.

But I do think we are obliged to process the people who are here now, with stricter rules about returning those who are not found to be refugees.

There are also mechanisms under the Dublin Rule for returning people to the first country they were fingerprinted in and applied, in the case of those who are making multiple applications.

Other countries like Italy and Greece made good use of this legislation.

It should be applied from the first interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s very much real unfortunately, and with the new law passed yesterday in Uganda, there will be many more people fleeing to get out from under an oppressive government (Uganda I mean, not the UK) -

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/uganda-anti-gay-law-that-could-mean-the-death-penalty-in-some-cases-signed-into-law-12892558

You don't seem to understand.....I don't have to have proof, because they don't need to identify themselves!

You don't need to condemn it, there is nothing to condemn.

I'm aware they are subject to different rules. Which is my whole point. Posters have no issues with 'unvetted ' EU and Irish people living near them. They have no idea what eu citizens are living near them, because nobody knows. But they have massive issues with 'unvetted ' non eu people living near them. Even though they are all registered and known to authorities.

EU nationals entering Ireland require identification - if they wish to access services - they require identification. What is it about that fact you cannot get to grips with?

• Advertisement

Of course they do. No one is saying otherwise.

Everybody wishing to access services requires identification.

Which part of they don't need to register to live here can you not get to grips with?

How many EU citizens are living in Ireland currently? And where are they living? And what are their backgrounds?

What registration is required exactly? they are identified coming in, they require identification for services where they are accounted for, they are subject to the census if here, what are looking for? armbands? yellow stars?

There is no registration required, as you know.

How many eu citizens are living here today? Where are they living? What is their backgrounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How about these lads show their passports and documents when getting on the plane, the staff keep everyone’s documents and when they arrive here they are greeted by immigration who receive the passports and documents and check them against passengers coming into the country?

No one can “lose” their passports and documents that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

EU citizens living in another EU state are required to register with the authorities if they are staying more than 3 months to the best of my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

5 year's+ ago I went to a club in Croydon London, place was plaques with knife gangs. Passport scanned + eye scan n the two linked together in case of hassle, 30 seconds tops.

I'm other EU countries, yes.

Ireland doesn't require them to register.

Read my last reply again. Absolutely nothing has changed in the meantime.

Exactly.

You don't know how many EU citizens are living here. You don't know where they are living and you don't know their backgrounds.

It makes complaining about 'unvetted ' non eu immigrants a bit redundant.

• Advertisement

I tell you what I do know about them of the top of my head:

They are not claimimg asylum with fictitious claims and spending years grinding the system to a halt and demanding unwarranted sympathy

They are not housed fed and watered on arrival and thrown medical cards, courtesy of the taxpayer while our own homeless freeze on the streets

They are not entitled to a cent of social welfare without establishing themselves in some way first

They are arriving from countries with mutual agreements that will warn us if dangerous people are in our midst and that will take them back

That's an off the top of the head comparison with unvetted non-EU illegal immigrants.

All of that's beside the point. You offer no kudos to Irish people for their generosity to fellow Europeans. You have your sad little bone and you cannot let it go.

Post edited by sonar44 on

Advertisement