Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2022: 10% reduction in Roman Catholic numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

It's not that they want their children to be indoctrinated that they are choosing Catholic schools. It is because Catholic schools are often better, and most often non-fee paying. Why are these schools often better? - well is certainly is not because they are good at teaching transubstantiation.

Consider that the parents/guardians are going out of their way to specifically select these schools and are not just going for the local comp. This is my experience of the UK system anyway.

Ireland is totally different.

The number of religious schools should match the census figures, so we need to reduce catholic schools by the appropriate percent. Even better, remove religious indoctrination entirely from schools. Why should non-religious pupils have to put up with the annual farce of confirmation/communions, and all the other ad-hoc religious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Catholics don't have the right to disagree with doctrine.

It's quite literally one of the key differences between Catholicism and the various Protestant sects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You don't have the right to disagree, but disagree and you just have to confess your sins and lo behold all is forgiven and you are still a Catholic.

Honestly the idea that all these casual mass goers or even the christmas-Easter heads are deemed persona non grata to the church is delusional. The Catholic church will bend the rules to get as many people as it can listed as Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

Respectfully disagree. I also think the Census should have an option for Catholic (non practicing) or Other Religion (non practicing)

We know the 69% of people being Catholics is entirely unrealistic and not a true reflection. We have no idea how many people aren't religious. Because those that tick the No Religion box is also under reported.

This comes down to the vagueness of the question imo. Many 100s if thousands may interpret it as the following -

"I'm not arsed with religion, haven't attended mass since a child or in decades and I don't believe in God. However I am baptised a Catholic, I made my communion and confirmation so I am a Catholic" so they tick Catholic.

From a technical point of view, unless you've written to your local bishop asking to be ex communicated from the church, you're still a Catholic.

I believe the vast majority of Irish people, including myself, went through all the "membership" parts of the Catholic church and now don't practice and aren't religious. They haven't left the Catholic church either though. Many die and are buried in Catholic cermonies still. Even young people who tragically pass away early but weren't religious.

So perhaps the census should have a Catholic (non practicing) category or we should all start writing to our bishops and leave it officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Most Irish "Catholics" wouldn't even know that they've committed a "sin" to confess!

I wonder how many of them sought the foregiveness of the confessional after voting to legalise abortion or gay marriage?

If you examine the beliefs of most Irish "Catholics" that actually believe in a deity, they're actually some strand or other of Protestant. Don't tell them as much though, the faithful don't tend to like facts and our history has most of them rather averse to the "P word".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Just to clarify / confirm: under this proposal all ET schools must close, as well as all Jewish/Muslim/Protestant schools, and the ETBs must relinquish their ownership of all their primary and secondary schools.

The ETBs would remain involved with further education.

OK, I don't agree with you, as I support parental choice. I support competition between schools.

Your proposal implies a much larger degree of centralisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I was baptised, did communion and confirmation, but absolutely ticked the no religion box because I see catholicism as an absolute load of tripe. If I write to the bishop he won't take me off the catholics list, I'm stuck there for life unfortunately, but I sure as sh!t am not a catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

We know the 69% of people being Catholics is entirely unrealistic and not a true reflection.

No ‘we’ don’t make any such assumptions based upon whatever we believe to be true. That would be… y’know, awkward 😁

The figures right there like, anything else is just this -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overconfidence_effect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Almost everyone who has a religion will not rigidly hold the same faith as that proscribed by the institution in charge of said religion. The majority of peoples faith is a spectrum, Catholics are no different. Some are on the extreme strict aide (even moreso than recent Pope who has relaxed rhetoric around abortion and gay marriage etc), while others will be much more lax about that stuff, about church attendance and prayers etc.

Trying to argue that they arent "really" Catholic if they don't do X Y or Z is just pedantry. The church will consider them Catholic, they themselves consider them Catholics - only you who thinks they should be categorised as something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Which of those schools that you are referring to are better because they are catholic ?

I think one part of the problem, is that there are no (or very few) Catholic schools, only catholic administered ones. The situation is now that the church wants the state to fund,maintain and in some cases build these schools.

What the church should be doing is paying its own way. Then is can indoctrinate those or at least the children of those who want it.

Yeah I got to laugh at the people saying that the church was full for the mass they were at. That's because there is only a few masses now Mary.

There was standing room only across the Saturday and Sunday masses (4 or 5 masses) every weekend in the 90s. Now a single mass on a Sunday being 3/4 full is considered a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What the church should be doing is paying its own way. Then is can indoctrinate those or at least the children of those who want it.

The State wouldn’t want that though, because it would mean that children in some schools really would receive a far superior education to others, whereas funding schools which deliver the national curriculum somewhat mitigates that outcome. There are schools which don’t deliver the national curriculum, and they also receive no funding from the State. Then there are home schooling networks around the country and they provide a different form of education again. It’s just serves the common good better if the State pays its own way, and patrons deliver education in public schools in accordance with their own ethos.

The church turns a blind eye to many things but the catechism is the catechism.

They shut down the apostasy route for atheists because of the number of people wanting to "officially" sever ties and so you can not "leave" the church.

Death rituals are organised by the living so you can not associate a religion to the deceased, when alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Millions of non practising Jews identify as Jewish.

I have no idea about what you mean when you say “would it be right?” What would be wrong about it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It does not matter how the question was asked or is asked in future because not matter what the result is those who welcome it will be disappointed if they think there is milage in it. Religion for most people in Europe is a kind of a strange thing - the majority are indifferent to it, so long as you don't try and take it away, the minute you do, they suddenly decide they want it! Ireland is just gravitating to the European norm.

My kids went to school in Switzerland where state and church are separate and religious education is done outside school in the evening or weekends. So I was astonished to discover they still had school events at Christmas and Easter and the entire town stopped to honour St. Martin on his feast day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Adult professional Irish born on a salary of €140000 sitting in the living room of his €500000 house on Sunday night with his American wife on the other sofa booking a holiday in Bali. They met while they were backpacking in Oz.

Gets to the religion question, trembles, “better tick catholic just in case mammy comes round and demands to see what I’ve said”.

Can you see how ridiculous that sounds? It’s just not happening.

People identify as anything they like. Just because you’re inexplicably disappointed that people don’t want to or aren’t ready to abandon all belief in God doesn’t mean that they’re stupid.

Try and get on with your own life and when something is not affecting you just relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Nice to still see a steady decline in the catholic numbers. They are a vile organization that has held back Irish society for so long.

How anyone can believe anything they preach is beyond me, just look at the SSM ref and the abortion ref as an example. Along with the whole, ya know, born of a virgin rubbish and Adam and Eve when we know what we know about evolution and so on...but let's ignore that and tick the box because of that catholic guilt that runs rampant from an early age.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah my parents are in their 70s and go every week. They say that it's probably 10-20% full most weeks with the congregation almost exclusively being people of their age cohort. The only younger adults there tend to be from places like Poland or the Philippines.

When I was last regularly attending, in the 90s, it was standing room only at the 12.15 mass and there were 3 masses on a Sunday instead of the 2 they are down to now. In my case it was purely a social thing. All my friends went so you would have the craic afterwards walking home talking about whatever happened the night before. There was also an element of going because your parents expected you to as well. Once we got older we all stopped going. I think a lot of people around Ireland would have similar stories.

I'm not sure what happens in 20 years when the current core of mass goers (and a lot of the clergy) are dead. The empty gesture of people ticking a box in a census form isn't going to fly when it comes to keeping churches open up and down the country. They need people to actually show up week in and week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭uptherebels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

That just means you're a "bad Catholic". If you abide by most of the rituals, you are a Catholic to some extent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Jewish is more than a religion. It's a whole culture, a whole race almost.

You're born Jewish, you're baptised Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's the crux of it. Whether you tick the box or not, churches are closing and priests are stretched well beyond their own parish.

I've been to more humanist weddings than religious ones and I've a feeling that numbers would drop sharply if you took Communion and Confirmation prep out of schools.

There are less than a dozen new Irish priests ordained each year, so we're importing them from Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It's undeniable that people get married in a catholic church ceremony to keep mammy and granny happy. I've been at several of those ceremonies. Your anecdotal couple booking the holiday to Bali might even have done so.

Read back through the thread, other posters have given examples of ludicrous reasons why people have ticked the catholic box on the census.

And it does affect me because 90% of the schools in our country have catholic patronage despite 40% of marriages in 2022 being catholic ceremonies and now 69% identifying as catholic in the census, meaning the patronage of our schools is way out of line with the religious beliefs of the population as a whole.

Alright, to be fair, Catholics don't hold Adam and Eve to be literal and are more metaphor. They have often declared that evolution is perfectly in line with church teachings.

*How does one partially quote someone?*

In respect to your observations around the Swiss celebrating Christian feast days...

No matter you believe in the religion, or no, Christianity and its traditions have shaped our culture a lot. I've no issue with celebrating the Mid-Winter festival as both that and Christmas. Same with Spring and Easter. Patrick's Day is not a religious holiday anymore than Thor's Day (Thursday) is.

I admit that I was disappointed that they called our new bank holiday St. Brigid's Day instead of Imbolc or just Brigid's day, recognising the pagan deity and not the Christian appropriation. Even at that I would be looking at a festival dedicated to a deity

We don't call for the days of the week to be renamed seeing as everyone of those is a reference to a different god. I can appreciate Celtic/Norse/Egyptian mythology and I can appreciate Christian mythology and I'd pretty much consider myself an anti-theist not just atheist.

Yeah I feel (just an impression) that the drop in Catholicism would be greater were it not for the fact that a lot of our immigrant population are Catholic stronghold countries

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I said it at the time of the census,there should be a "non practicing" option.

Most folk have probably done the babtism,communion, confirmation and would automatically say Catholic if asked and are more accurate than saying "no religion".

The "no religion" questions didn't differentiate between those with no actual religion and non practicing. It was very vague. Intentionally or not,who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Ah yes, the religion à la carte approach. If the teachings of the bible are not to be taken literally, but then some of them are...why bother?

Advertisement